What would be the best Toys to collect

Donald

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action Figures
to collect. I am new at this cause i thought that it would be a fun
hobby. Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.
Thanks
justin

David Thiel

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Donald <suth...@westman.wave.ca> wrote in message

> I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action Figures
> to collect. I am new at this cause i thought that it would be a fun
> hobby. Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.

There's no way anyone can truly answer that question. It's completely
subjective.

What do you like? If they make a toy of it, then--at the risk of sounding
like a smart-ass--that's probably a good place to start.

Collecting hints? Depends on what you're collecting. If it's vintage toys,
prepare to empty your bank account. Heck, if it's the current "Star Wars"
line, prepare to empty your bank account. Never pay more than retail for
currently shipping toys. Make friends in this forum and elsewhere; they may
be able to help you find toys that aren't easy to find locally. EBay can be
your friend, but be very, very careful. Clean your plate. Look both ways
before crossing the street. And don't forget to floss.

--
David Thiel
Champaign, Illinois

Hurricane

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
>===== Original Message From Donald <suth...@westman.wave.ca> =====

>I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action Figures
>to collect. I am new at this cause i thought that it would be a fun
>hobby. Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.
>Thanks
>justin

The best place to start for a new collector is setting small goals...avoid
the
"gotta get everything" mentality.A few starting goals...Toy Biz's Famous
Covers are some of the best stuff out there, and a good start can be made
for
cheap. Hit KB or TRu and see what's on sale. Most of the older ones are dirt
cheap, about $6 each (Thor, Capt. America, Falcon), but the newer ones can
be
had for $10 (sabertooth, Jean Grey,Gambit, new Wolvie). The older ones
(Storm,
Spider Man, Green Goblin) are going to run some bucks and may be HTF, but
they are worth it. Most places are marking down all of their Star
Wars:Episode
1 action figures. Around here they're about $5 each, so ammassing a set of
all
the major players (Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Darth Maul, Anakin, etc.) shouldn't be
too hard or expensive. The simpsons figures are also nice and cheap, and the
only hard ones to find are Grandpa Simpson and Mr. Burns, so not too much
stress there. Plus, the new ones are just starting to come out. Another
easily
attainable goal is all of the X-Men the movie figures. The new Spawn series
(18?) should be hitting anytime now, so look out for those. The biggest
"hint
on collecting" I can give you is don't pay big bucks to a scalper for some
action figure that might be had cheaper, if you have the patientce. Oh,
yeah,
avoid FC Collector at all costs ;-)

Hurricane
hurric...@hotmail.com
http:///www.geocites.com/hurricane567
"Condemed by the Space Pope"-Futurama

Scott - Charlotte & Anastasia

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
i don't look at it as a line. i look at what i like. individual figures.
(or pez, barbies, burger king toys, etc. etc.) or anything else i
collect non-toy related. the best tip i'd give is: you make the rules!
you find a way of collecting that's fun. it's your collection...

http://community.webtv.net/King1018/TOYSferTRADE

GI Trekker

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
I've found G.I.Joe and Star Wars to be the most enjoyable in recent years, and
they're generally widely available. Other good toy lines would include
Transformers, Marvel Famous Covers (if you can find a comics store to order
them for you), and DC 9" (a rather limited but interesting line).

MERK

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Buy what you truly love. Not the "Flavour of the Week" or what`s "hot" but
what you NEED. :>} . There`s so much cool stuff out there today, it`s scary.
There`s never...*EVER*, been a better time to collect Action Figures.

--
MERK!.........Deeds Speak!!
mer...@home.com

Bulldog660

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Batman:The Animated Series.
Dead on recreations of their
Animated counterparts.
Lots of villians and some
genuinely cool Batman Variations
(and lots of dumb ones, as well)
Many vehicles and playsets
plus much related merchandise.
Yes B:TAS is the best.
Bulldog

batchip

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
I have to agree with you there my weakness has always been Batman.
And not just toys, I have a hard time passing up anything Batman
related. Chip

EVILFACE

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
GI Joe: ARAH 3 3/4" figures
Toy Biz 9" Famous Covers
Kenner Super Powers

EVILFACE
"If your on my path, you better look dead"

Come feel the Touch of Evil at http://www.evilface.com

c nemet

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
>Donald suth...@westman.wave.ca

>Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.

I think the best resource for those starting out is still RTM and specifically
The Beginner's Guide it's @
http://www.toymania.com/resources/beginnersguide/
I agree with other's advice to find what "you" like vs what people may tell you
is the hot line or figure.
Perhaps all I can add is don't overlook thrift stores, garage sales, etc. as a
great source of cheaply adding to your collecting.
Welcome to the hobby! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! And if we can be of
any assistance don't hesitate to ask!
Cindy
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
work email: Cin...@ywca-shelter.org
Proof that anyone can have a webpage:
http://members.aol.com/tickz/pubpage.htm

GI Trekker

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
<<GI Joe: ARAH 3 3/4" figures
Toy Biz 9" Famous Covers
Kenner Super Powers>>

Evilface has good taste in toys!

odin

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

Donald wrote:

> I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action Figures
> to collect. I am new at this cause i thought that it would be a fun

> hobby. Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.
> Thanks
> justin

there is only one true answer:
collect what you like.

rot

Gareee

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

"GI Trekker" <gitr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ya forgot to add Small Soldiers.. ;)

--
Gary Tabar Jr, @ Da Mouzzz...
EMAIL: GAR...@email.com HOMEPAGE: http://www.GAREEE.com

Blastomatic

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
"MERK" <mer...@home.com> wrote:
>Buy what you truly love. Not the "Flavour of the Week" or
what`s "hot" but
>what you NEED. :>} . There`s so much cool stuff out there
today, it`s scary.
>There`s never...*EVER*, been a better time to collect Action
Figures.

I disagree. Back when they made action figure as "toys" was a
better time to collect. The "pre-Spawn", days they might be
called. Nowdays they make action figures as "collectables",
which is like collector plates or any other lame-ass "special"
junk.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Gareee

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00

"Blastomatic" <bassboogi...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> "MERK" <mer...@home.com> wrote:
> >Buy what you truly love. Not the "Flavour of the Week" or
> what`s "hot" but
> >what you NEED. :>} . There`s so much cool stuff out there
> today, it`s scary.
> >There`s never...*EVER*, been a better time to collect Action
> Figures.
> >

> I disagree. Back when they made action figure as "toys" was a
> better time to collect. The "pre-Spawn", days they might be
> called. Nowdays they make action figures as "collectables",
> which is like collector plates or any other lame-ass "special"
> junk.

Ah, but since the bottom has pretty much fallen out of the collector market,
those old figures are cheaper to collect now, PLUS you can get any of the
newer stuff (small soldiers, chicken run, digi-poke-whatever,
transformers/metals ect that you like!) You have the best of both worlds!

rmad...@serv.net

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
In article <398B0489...@westman.wave.ca>,

Donald <suth...@westman.wave.ca> wrote:
> I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action
Figures

It would depend upon how deep you want to go with your collection :)
There are plenty of lines out that can get you started but its like a
domino effect. If you start with something, for example, the X-men
movie figures, you'll more than likely want to go backwards and fill in
- maybe not the entire line but of a particular character. Many folks
here collect thematically. I like pretty much anything but enjoy
collecting items I used to have as a kid like Ultraman and Kamen
Rider. I also like toys from the 80's (MOTU, Thundercats, etc.). Find
a fun theme or character and go from there. Foremost - enjoy it for
the hobby it is. If you go in to it for reasons other than personal
enjoyment - you may find that the fun is lost very quickly. There's
plenty of folks here who can help - after all, we all started from the
same point you did :)
~Aries

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MERK

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00

"Blastomatic" <bassboogi...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote

> I disagree. Back when they made action figure as "toys" was a
> better time to collect. The "pre-Spawn", days they might be
> called. Nowdays they make action figures as "collectables",
> which is like collector plates or any other lame-ass "special"
> junk.

Whhaaaattt?? Ya better tell my son that, He`s busy throwing his ActionMan
Skydiver off the deck right now. Maybe YOU call `em collectibles, but we
don`t. We call `em fun. There`s currently something for nearly every
taste...you just gotta` find what`s good for you.
--
MERK!.........Deeds Speak!!
mer...@home.com

James Farrelly

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00
Your all wrong , TMNT action figures all the way! Great for the destructive
person (Example: One vehicle shoots plastic pizza)

toybarons

Aug 18, 2000, 2:41:47 AM8/18/00
Here! Here!

TMNT is often underrated. Each figure usually comes with afist full of
accessories.
The figures can get run over by a truck and not even take a scratch.
The are plentyful in garage sales and cheap. That makes building a Turtle army
possible.
The vehicles are awesome with lots of good long distance projectiles that can
down anything any other toy can put up against it.

The only toy color are the Alien figures. Only the bugs though. The humans are
only good as Alien chow.

toybarons~ Loves have her Turtle army duke it out with the Hive.

"James Farrelly" <seac...@blazenet.net> wrote in message

Fabrice Di Bello

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
Bonjour,
Je m'appelle Fabrice et j'habite près de Paris, je viens à Londres la
semaine prochaine et je recherche des addresses de magasins de figurines de
Marvel ou DC.
pourrais-tu cher James m'indiquer des adresses de ce genre dans Londres

Merci d'avance

Hi, my name is Fabrice, i live near Paris, i'll come to london next week and
i'm lookking for adresses of shops selling Marvel's or Dc's figures.
Would you please dear James give me some of that kinf of address in London.
(Sorry for my english..)

Fabrice....@freesbee.fr

James Farrelly

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
I don't live in London. And my name is Josh, James is my DADS name. I
have no idea how to channge it!

James Farrelly

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
A fellow TMNT toys fan I see...
A fellow Aliens fan I see...do I know you?

Yeah, they are under-rated. People think the turtles are stupid. But the
same thing will happen to Pokemon in the years to come!

Want to know how to make a professial looking turtle playset.

Dead

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:03:23 -0700, "James Farrelly"
<seac...@blazenet.net> wrote:

>A fellow TMNT toys fan I see...
>A fellow Aliens fan I see...do I know you?
>
>Yeah, they are under-rated. People think the turtles are stupid. But the
>same thing will happen to Pokemon in the years to come!

I've actually regained a bit of interest in the Turtles lately and am
attempting to rebuild my collection. Anyone of know if there's an
online archive of the figures out there? Kinda like Yojoe.com or
Rebelscum.com ...

Dead
"The forest whispers my name. .again and again"

George Heller

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
Funn you should ask.

www.tmnttoys.com

My attempt to display my collection of hundreds of TMNT figures and
almost every vehicle. One day I may even get around to posting pictures
of some of the movie props in my collection. I've got pictures of about
99% of the figures there now along with all of the vehicles.

Dan Wakerhauser, enjoying his vacation in sunny FL for the time being.

jmpiat...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2015, 6:37:18 PM8/9/15
On Friday, August 4, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Donald wrote:
> I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action Figures
> to collect. I am new at this cause i thought that it would be a fun
> hobby. Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.
> Thanks
> justin

I think the avengers are 1 of the best ones.

kira.wat...@gmail.com

May 18, 2016, 8:52:28 PM5/18/16
On Friday, August 4, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Donald wrote:
> I was wondering what would be the best line or series of Action Figures
> to collect. I am new at this cause i thought that it would be a fun
> hobby. Can you also please give me some hints on collecting.
> Thanks
> justin

I know that there's a collection of "DC Girls" figures with Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, etc. That might be a good place to start.

pan...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 4:54:22 PM8/9/16
are we responding to a thread made 16 years ago?