Anybody remember playing pick-up games when they were kids?

rcbsam0131

Jul 13, 2004, 2:27:23 PM7/13/04
Hello:

Did You Play Pick-Up Games When You Were A Kid?

If you did, please write me a letter or a story…

I fondly remember the pick-up games that my friends and I would play
when we were kids. We made our own regulation-sized hockey net out of
scrap pieces of pine. We got the bright idea to nail pieces of sheet
metal to a wooden frame. What we didn't plan on was that it would make
the net so heavy that it took four of us to carry it.

Today, with kids participating in so many activities, I wonder if they
have any time to get some friends together and just play. I'm writing
a book that explores the cultural importance of pick-up games.

This is where you come in – I'd like you to write me a letter (or tell
me a story) in which you describe your pick up game experiences.

Tell me about your hometown, your neighborhood, the games you would
play, the equipment you would use, and especially about your friends
and what you gained from these experiences. The letter/story can be as
long as you like. Just tell me whether you're male or female, and
supply your age and zip code. You can either…

Email it to me at: rcb...@comcast.net
(write "pick up games" in the subject line)

Or mail it to me: Dr. Ronald Bishop
Drexel University
569 Hemingway Drive
Hockessin, DE 19707

One last thing: please let me know if you'd be willing to sit down for
an interview about your experiences or if you'd be willing to take me
on a videotaped tour of where you played pick up games. If either of
these ideas sounds good to you, please include your name, phone
number, and email address in your letter.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you.