Minimum HP for wakeboarding

Neil Bryden

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99

I was wondering if any of you have any experience wakeboarding behind
small HP engines. I have a Zodiac inflatable boat with a 25HP outboard
and was wondering how feasible it would be to wakeboard behind it.

The boat will do about 45-50 kmh (25-30 mph?) flat out with 2 or 3
people in it. Will plane (just) with up to 5 people in it.

Thanks very much.
Neil.

T.M. Dokoupil

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
I have experience with skiing (not wake boarding) behind a
Zodiac with 25 HP.

When pulling skiers the speed of the boat will drop dramatically.
Getting an adult of 80 kilos on two skis behind the
boat is already difficult.

My experiences when skiing with a Zodiac:
- you will need a V-sling to attach the rope to.
- if the skier leans then the boat speed
will drop considerably. A 60 kilos child on a mono trick
can get the boat out of planing by standing on the back of the
ski.
- the boat is so light that you can forget about wakes to jump over.
- because the boat weight is so low, a skier that leans to the
side influences the boat's course.
- the Zodiac does not cut through the waves, so the boat ride is bumpy.
- water tricks on two tricks are possible behind the boat, but
you'll need very calm water, since the Zodiac does not flatten
the water for you. The edge of the ski grabs water easily. I would
expect the same when wakeboarding.
- always ski storage problems

25 HP is just enough for kids to have fun. I would expect 25 HP to be
not enough for an adult to wake board behind a Zodiac.

Tom