1998 Hydrofoiling World Championships

Ron Young

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
It has been over a week that I have been religously searching for
results on the Net to no avail. Could someone please post the results?
How did the Sky Ski team (Mike, Jon, etc.) do compared to the Air Chair
diehards?

Ron Young
Crane Lake Airchair Club
'Skiing in 3-D'

Bill

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to Ron Young
Sorry Ron,
I'll get that posted ASAP. We're working on web pages & an article for
Waterski right now.
In a nutshell:
Men's Pro:
1st - Damon Moore - Sky Ski
2nd - Mike Murphy - Sky Ski
3rd - Tony Klarich - Sky Ski
4th - Geno Yachler - Air Chair

Men's under 30 - Jake Kinnison - Sky Ski

Men's under 40 - Dave Meyer - Sky Ski

Men's over 40 - Mike Mack - Sky Ski

Women's - Teresa Wilborn - Sky Ski
(yes, Jon's wife, Jon didn't compete due to a herniated sp? disk in his
back)

Big Air - Mike Murphy 19'

Sea Doo competition - Tony Klarich

More to follow soon.
--
Bill - bi...@airjunky.com
http://airjunky.com

Bill Kinnison

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
Competitors came from Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada and the United
States came to the 1998 Flight World Championships of Hydrofoiling held at
Lake Elsinore, CA. the weekend of Sept. 19 & 20, 1998 to show off why they
are given more frequent flier miles than any other sport behind a boat.
This watersport gets the biggest air & these competitors were here to prove
it. Four events would be held to prove who was the man, Free Ride, Tricks,
Big Air & the Personal Watercraft Free Ride. Prior to this weekend, Mike
Murphy & Tony Klarich have dominated this sport. By the end of the weekend,
Damon Moore had shown the old man & his nephew some serious hang time & taken
the Men's Pro Free Ride trophy.
Klarich stepped up, showed some incredible poise with tricks like a
helicopter with a wrap or handle pass & won a couple of trophies of his own
in the Tricks & personal watercraft competitions.
But when it came to big air, the old man put his foot down. The Air Boom boat
was specially outfitted with with a 20' pylon with markings every two feet.
In three attempts, pilots were to throw the biggest trick near the pylon so
the three judges could eyeball the height. Flyin Brian Vescley threw the
highest roll of all, but the air was thin & when he reentered the atmosphere,
he crashed & burned. The old pro, Mike Murphy rode away a 19' wake backroll
to show all the kids how a precision pilot flies his new hydrofoil, the Sky
Ski.
Other highlights included:
- Cheryl Roberts makes history as the first woman to land an inverted trick
in competition.
- Adrian Villarreal of Monterey, Mexico won the best custom hydrofoil award.
He painted his Sky Ski white with red and green color scheme showing off his
country and sponsor Dos Equis.
- Toxic Foils brought their innovative new foil design based on a manta ray.
- Nick Murphy riding a pair of combo waterskis attached to a hydrofoil.
- Charlie Saunders doing a 100mph speed ski run.
- Rodger Crocker impressing the crowd with body slides and front flips on a
slalom ski.
- Geno Yauchler barefooting backwards.
- 80 year old, Mary Murphy takes a couple passes waving to the crowd and
throwing a couple bunny hops behind a SeaDoo towed by her son Mike.
- The events youngest pilot eleven year old Cameron cruises shows off with
some nice wake jumps.

With six divisions and sixty five competitors, the final rankings worked out
like this:

Womans Tricks:

1) Cheryl Roberts
2) Laurie Petersen
3) Ingrid Buxton
4) Teresa Wilborn
5) Marilyn Capel

Womans Freestyle:

1) Teresa Wilborn
2) Ingrid Buxton
3) Marilyn Capel
4) Laurie Petersen
5) Cheryl Roberts

Amateur Tricks (no inverts):

1) Kody Moore
2) Eric Bockemuehl
3) Trevor Sudweeks
4) Rob Plamondon
5) Jon Pszentizki

Amateur Freestyle (no inverts):

1) Kody Moore
2) Eric Bockemuehl
3) Rob Plamondon
4) Trevor Sudweeks
5) John Pszentizki

Mens Tricks (men to 29 years old):

1) Scott Mclean
2) Jake Kinnison
3) Scott Honkula
4) Jon Walker
5) Brian Hall

Mens Freestyle (men to 29 years old):

1) Jake Kinnison
2) Jon Walker
3) Scott Honkula
4) Brian Hall
5) Scott Mclean

Masters Tricks (men 30 to 39):

1) Monty Mongold
2) David Meyers
3) Bob Rowland
4) Todd Spitz
5) George Gallegos

Masters Freestyle (men 30 to 39):

1) Dave Meyers
2) Monty Mongold
3) Bob Welsh
4) Bob Rowland
5) George Gallegos

Veterans Tricks (men 40+):

1) Mike Mack
2) Ken Boyd
3) Phil Dixon
4) Warren Posey
5) Dave Cambell

Veterans Freestyle (men 40+):

1) Mike Mack
2) Ken Boyd
3) Phil Dixon
4) Warren Posey
5) Dave Cambell

Pro Open Tricks:

1) Tony Klarich (riding a Sky Ski)
2) Ron Stack (riding a Sky Ski)
3) Mike Murphy (riding a Sky Ski)
4) Damon Moore (riding a Sky Ski)
5) Gino Yauchler (riding an Air Chair)

Pro Open Freestyle:

1) Damon Moore
2) Mike Murphy
3) Tony Klarich **tie**
3) Ron Stack **tie**
5) Gino Yauchler

Big Air Contest:

1) Mike Murphy
2) Gino Yauchler
3) Tony Klarich
4) Damon Moore
5) Brian Vescley
6) Jake Kinnison

Personal Watercraft Free Ride:

1) Tony Klarich
2) Mike Murphy
3) Gino Yauchler
4) Damon Moore
5) Ron Stack

Pictures of the event will soon be available on the premier hydrofoil sites
of the web:
http://skyski.com
http://airjunky.com
http://cyber-sea.com

--
Bill Kinnison - bi...@airjunky.com
http://airjunky.com

RobPman

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

>It has been over a week that I have been religously searching for
>results on the Net to no avail. Could someone please post the results?
>How did the Sky Ski team (Mike, Jon, etc.) do compared to the Air Chair
>diehards?

Ron,

You missed a great event! I can' remember when I've ever had so much fun! The
people in this sport are top notch.

Tony Klarich put on a great event! Thanks to Tony and all that helped put
together such an exciting event. Even my Father and Grandmother were impressed
with the show and they knew very little about the sport before attending.

Tony announced that the next Hydrofoil World Championships will be held in
2000, probably at the same site in Lake Elsinore, CA.

Take it easy and GO BIG!

Rob

h2ofun

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Great note.

Camerons last name is kephart.

My last name is spelled campbell

I sure had a great time. Get the video yet?

Been out doing my skidders at 28. Not as easy. Got to keep up with the big
boys. Been trying a floater. Grabs are fun. Sure wish I had seen the stuff
before.

dave

h2ofun

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to Bill, Damon I Moore, dave stamp, RobPman
Oh well, sent my note to bill to the group. Mistake.

The worlds were a SUPER great time. I never have been with such a great group of
people ever!
The pros were super helpful in all ways. Mike murphy is one super person. I
dont understand why AWSA wont consider him for the water ski hall of fame. He
has done so much for WATER skiing that the sport should look at ALL aspects, and
not just the big THREE.

I was lucky enough to ride with 7 great guys in the amateur division. (Us old
timers) For me what was real special was riding with mike mack. I was lucky
enough to go have lessons at his ski school two years ago. Hes great! But to
spend so much time with him for two days was a treat. And to find out he is such
a GREAT guy was even neater.

Meeting Rob and Bill was neat since I only had talked to them on the internet.
They were both a great help making the event come off smoothly!

I was lucky enough to have damon moore and dave myers at my house last year doing
the air chair and made a video for them. To see them grow and both become world
champions in there class was great. And they are both sucu super guys.

Tony Klarich did such a super job being the lead for the event. With all the
work he put in before, and tons during being up late at night, and then having to
go out and perform was amazing. And to do has well has he did shows the true
champion he is!!!

I hope this sport gets into the next X-games because once you see it live, it
blows you away. The jumps are HUGE!!!!

For me it was real special because I brought down a 6th, 8th and 11th grader.
Will add some other firsts that Bill wrote.

Youngest female to compete: My daughter, sandy campbell.. (Boy was it cool!!)
13 years old
Youngest male (any) to compete: Cameron kephart 11 years old. Tried back
gainer at dismount
Youngest male to land a back gainer in competition: Brett Stempel 16 years
old
First 360 skidder made in competition: Dave campbell (the old 41 here)

Better mary murphy was amazing. Here she is at 81 and sky skiing. And such a
super person.

I think the biggest memory I have from the event is again how helpful every
person was to each other.
Not matter what your skill level was, each person was giving tips and support for
each other even when competing against each other.

So for anyone who has not been on an air chair or sky ski, give it a try. But
be careful, most people I have taught get hooked and spend most of there time
chairing.

dave campbell

joker

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
MasterCraft 1998 Flight Worlds: Results
Lake Elsinore Aquatic Park September 19-20, 1998

Sky Ski Tricks
Amateur
1. Kody Moore 12,627
2. Eric Bockemuel 10,270