spokes?

1 view

UniManiac

Dec 13, 2004, 12:36:34 AM12/13/04

does the amount of spokes affect anythign on the unicycle, liek how it
feels and rides? just a question im curios about.

--
UniManiac - hot damn

YO SUCKA YO GOT A BIIIIIIIIIIG MOUTH
UniManiac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5792

TheObieOne3226

Dec 13, 2004, 12:40:26 AM12/13/04

No, not at all. As a matter of fact, I recommend you get one of Sheldon
Brown's monospoke wheelsets and convert it to a uni wheel.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT) -- *New!
Coasting unicycle video and more ECMW pics!*
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com) -- *FRESHLY
UPDATED*

AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
MSN:TheObie...@hotmail.com

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him"
-KJ-52

"Praise Allah!"
-Gilby

"I'm a stupid piece of crap."
-Maestro8

disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

James_Potter

Dec 13, 2004, 12:46:51 AM12/13/04

UniManiac wrote:
> *does the amount of spokes affect anythign on the unicycle, liek how
> it feels and rides? just a question im curios about. *

Not how it feels, but it affects the strength.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

TheObieOne3226

Dec 13, 2004, 12:51:33 AM12/13/04

James_Potter wrote:
> *Not how it feels, but it affects the strength. *

It affects a lot of things. Such as strength, weight, stiffness,
aerodynamicness of wheel, and whether or not a tennis ball gets stuck in
your wheel (a penalty).

All of these factors can be brought to an acceptable level without a
large number (48) of spokes, provided you use a good hub and good alloy
rim. Another important factor is how well the wheel was laced/tensioned.

[...]

john_childs

Dec 13, 2004, 1:08:47 AM12/13/04

More spokes can give you more strength. But the quality of the wheel
build is more important than the number of spokes. I'd take a hand
built 36 spoke wheel over a machine built 48 spoke wheel any day.

Judging wheel strength just by counting spokes is a bad way to judge a
wheel. The quality of the wheel build is much more important.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

jsm

Dec 13, 2004, 2:21:17 AM12/13/04

I switched from a junk 36 spoke wheel to a relatively good 48 spoke
wheel about two months ago. The only differences I have noticed are that
the wheel doesn't give so much when I hop standing on it, (probably
simply because it's stronger) and spoke walk also feels slightly
different.

--
jsm - Freestyle Fanatic

"One thing I'll never try though is the suicide mount." - Jonathan
Miersma, 9/04

"I just landed my first suicide mount!" - Jonathan Miersma 11/04
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

UniManiac

Dec 13, 2004, 8:33:26 PM12/13/04

hmm yes thanks for your coments it will help me choose a new un, my old
ones crank busted, its an excuse to get a whole new one