Schwalbe Big Apple Tire for 700cc rim

1 view
Skip to first unread message

oxfordrider

unread,
Apr 10, 2004, 1:06:08 PM4/10/04
to

I read in one of these threads about putting a Schwalbe Big Apple Tire
on a 700cc rim. Where can you purchase these? I'm thinking about
buying the Yuni 29-inch Touring for $245.00 or Semcycle XL for $200 on
Unicycle.com. and am wondering if the Big Apple would fit in the frame.
I don't see these tires in the Online Catalog. Thanks for your help.


--
oxfordrider
------------------------------------------------------------------------
oxfordrider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5600
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/31696

BillyTheMountain

unread,
Apr 10, 2004, 2:22:03 PM4/10/04
to

oxfordrider wrote:
> *I read in one of these threads about putting a Schwalbe Big Apple

> Tire on a 700cc rim. Where can you purchase these? I'm thinking
> about buying the Yuni 29-inch Touring for $245.00 or Semcycle XL for
> $200 on Unicycle.com. and am wondering if the Big Apple would fit in
> the frame. I don't see these tires in the Online Catalog. Thanks for
> your help. *


UNICYCLE.COM just began carrying the Big Apple Tires--at my prompting,
and the tire DOES fit on the Yuni, which (I believe)give a bit more room
than the Sem frame.

Word is the Big Apple has less rolling resistance than other 29" tires.
All I know is that it give great ride!


--
BillyTheMountain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BillyTheMountain's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5357

weeble

unread,
Apr 17, 2004, 3:31:27 AM4/17/04
to

My 700c Sem Deluxe (the Schwinn-style two-piece fork deal) has a
generous amount of clearance, and I think the Big Apple would probably
fit, so I've been trying to get ahold of one for ages; none of the shop
guys around here seem even to have heard of it however.
BillyTheMountain's post got my hopes up, but I see that unicycle.com so
far is only carrying the 26-inch size. If Maxxis would make their
Hookworm in 700c, I would be after that one too.

I'm riding a Nanoraptor at the moment, which is pretty nice, but I'd
like something a bit smoother. The Nano's tread also has a line of
narrow knobs that form something close to a center ridge, which I think
tends to make tracking a straight line a bit more of an effort, at least
for me.


--
weeble - There can be only one... wheel


==============
Another Joe in MN
Level 2 and holding
==============


------------------------------------------------------------------------
weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

U-Turn

unread,
Apr 17, 2004, 5:35:24 AM4/17/04
to

weeble wrote:
> *My 700c Sem Deluxe (the Schwinn-style two-piece fork deal) has a

> generous amount of clearance, and I think the Big Apple would probably
> fit, so I've been trying to get ahold of one for ages; none of the
> shop guys around here seem even to have heard of it however.
> BillyTheMountain's post got my hopes up, but I see that unicycle.com
> so far is only carrying the 26-inch size. If Maxxis would make their
> Hookworm in 700c, I would be after that one too.
>
> I'm riding a Nanoraptor at the moment, which is pretty nice, but I'd
> like something a bit smoother. The Nano's tread also has a line of
> narrow knobs that form something close to a center ridge, which I
> think tends to make tracking a straight line a bit more of an effort,
> at least for me. *
If you can't get hold of one, let me know and I'll get you one. I have
to do a Big Apple order soon anyway. Just PM me.


--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.

'29er Tire Study' (http://u-turn.unicyclist.com/29erTireStudy/)

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albup39)

'New York Unicycle Club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton
------------------------------------------------------------------------
U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691

joemarshall

unread,
Apr 17, 2004, 9:50:53 AM4/17/04
to

weeble wrote:
> *My 700c Sem Deluxe (the Schwinn-style two-piece fork deal) has a

> generous amount of clearance, and I think the Big Apple would probably
> fit, so I've been trying to get ahold of one for ages; none of the
> shop guys around here seem even to have heard of it however.
> BillyTheMountain's post got my hopes up, but I see that unicycle.com
> so far is only carrying the 26-inch size. If Maxxis would make their
> Hookworm in 700c, I would be after that one too.
>
> I'm riding a Nanoraptor at the moment, which is pretty nice, but I'd
> like something a bit smoother. The Nano's tread also has a line of
> narrow knobs that form something close to a center ridge, which I
> think tends to make tracking a straight line a bit more of an effort,
> at least for me. *


Ask them if they can get any Schwalbe tyres. If they can then ask to see
the catalog they order from at the bike shop. It should have a "Big
apple 622x60" or something like that listed.

You can phone up the distributors to find out where to get things. Often
distributors have a sort of on the quiet mail order thing too, so you
can order stuff from them. Contact details are in the site below

http://www.schwalbetires.com/contact.htm

Joe


--
joemarshall - dumb blonde
------------------------------------------------------------------------
joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545

mike.hinson

unread,
Apr 17, 2004, 11:15:32 AM4/17/04
to

Hi,
I have a 700C rim & a promise of Big Apple tyre from Unicycle.uk.com...
BUT Roger says the current 28" Nimbus frames will only fit this tyre if
a packing is used above the bearing to make the frame a few millimeters
bigger.. I am a bit dissapointed as I have had the wheel for several
weeks but have been unable to use it.. I think I will get the Nimbus
frame anyway & try to pack it up a bit unless somthing else crops up...
I have heard that some of the Nimbus frames were slightly larger due to
manufacturing tollerences or something.

/\/\


--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"I have to overcome a 'stress hill' when tightening the nuts, but once
installed they sit in a 'stress valley'. "

--Klaas Bil
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

Klaas Bil

unread,
Apr 18, 2004, 12:53:21 AM4/18/04
to
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:15:32 -0500, "mike.hinson" wrote:

>BUT Roger says the current 28" Nimbus frames will only fit this tyre if
>a packing is used above the bearing to make the frame a few millimeters
>bigger.

Of course Roger is right. You probably know that the Nimbus II frame
(the one with the square crown) fits the Big Apple fine?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

BillyTheMountain

unread,
Apr 18, 2004, 8:38:49 AM4/18/04
to

They definitely have the 29". That's what I got from them. In the USA.


--
BillyTheMountain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BillyTheMountain's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5357

oxfordrider

unread,
Apr 18, 2004, 12:26:35 PM4/18/04
to

You may have to call them. I ordered a 29" Yuni with a Big Apple.
It was not on Unicycle.Com. so I called them and they hooked me up.

joemarshall

unread,
Apr 19, 2004, 4:55:54 AM4/19/04
to

mike.hinson wrote:
> *Hi,

> I have a 700C rim & a promise of Big Apple tyre from
> Unicycle.uk.com... BUT Roger says the current 28" Nimbus frames will
> only fit this tyre if a packing is used above the bearing to make the
> frame a few millimeters bigger.. I am a bit dissapointed as I have
> had the wheel for several weeks but have been unable to use it.. I
> think I will get the Nimbus frame anyway & try to pack it up a bit
> unless somthing else crops up... I have heard that some of the Nimbus
> frames were slightly larger due to manufacturing tollerences or
> something.
>
> /\/\ *


You want a nimbus II frame. Don't worry about it hitting your knees, it
doesn't do that once you're used to it.

Joe


--
joemarshall - dumb blonde
------------------------------------------------------------------------
joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545

mike.hinson

unread,
Apr 26, 2004, 5:38:43 PM4/26/04
to

I went with a Nimbus I (with the rounded top) in the end. I needed to
file a bit off the bottom of the seat tube to get it to clear the tyre,
but it is fine & I have been riding it for the first time today.

/\/\


--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"I have to overcome a 'stress hill' when tightening the nuts, but once
installed they sit in a 'stress valley'. "

--Klaas Bil
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages