Quirky site sells Cokers on the cheap!

1 view

Tony Melton

Aug 27, 2002, 8:27:06 AM8/27/02
I came across a site called 'Consequences for Life"
http://www.c4life.com which sells, among other things, Cokers for
$289.44. That may not seem like anything to shout about but they will
post them anywhere in the world for $77.75 - way less than from
Unicycle.com.
However the site seems kinda kooky - they also sell crystal singing
bowls, bee products, pyramids, one-arm bandits and something called
'sound therapy'. Has anyone ever dealt with these characters before?
Can I trust them to transmogrify my hard earned cash into 36" speedy
one-wheeled cruising machine?

Tony Melton
Team NZUNI

AccordNSX

Aug 27, 2002, 10:16:29 AM8/27/02

Save up and buy the Coker Deluxe.

--
AccordNSX - Broken Neck
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

sendhair

Aug 27, 2002, 10:34:17 AM8/27/02

Although I'm instantly suspicious anytime I see the words "spiritual"
and "buy" on the same page, this seems to be a legit site.

Whoever the guy on the Unicycles on the "Unicycle info" page
http://www.c4life.com/unifo.html is, he is at least familiar with
Unicycles enough to know where to access the Levels requirements, etc.
Just another web entrepreneur who's also into Unicycling and just wants
to profit while spreading the sport? A pretender to the throne of
Unicycling.com?

Any comment, Mr. Drummond? They seem to have mostly lifted the body
copy directly from Unicyle.com's pages... nearly word-for-word.

I'm not so sure I believe that they can ship "anywhere in the world" for
only $77.75... that's the UPS ground charge, and so would be, I think,
limited to the continental landmasses of North and South America...
elsewhere would be via air...

I also wonder how up-to-date this site is, because even Coker's direct
price (without special Kovachi wheel service) is now $339.00 + shipping
($10 over the Unicycle.com price).

Ditto on what AccordNSX said.

--
sendhair - Winking. Never blinking.

Rick
____________________________
"Don't pity me. Pity my creditors." -- James McNeill Whistler

sendhair's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1019

sendhair

Aug 27, 2002, 10:45:15 AM8/27/02

I want to get one of these and rig it to hand over me while riding...

'clickety-click' (http://tinyurl.com/16ii)
[image: http://www.c4life.com/cp/images/catalog_large/suspyramid2.jpg]
..it will help me focus better and dissipate negative energy and drop
into a peaceful rest while keeping my bananas and braised asparagus
fresh.

Harper, interested in a rush order? Are there any rules against using
Pyramid Power to reach Level 5?

Unicyco

Aug 27, 2002, 11:18:10 AM8/27/02

AccordNSX wrote:
> *Save up and buy the Coker Deluxe. *

You dont seem tounderstand tonies shipping problem here...

a normal coker would cost around $500 dollors, just in the shipping.
then convert to new zeland dollors, and youv got one fricken expensive
coker!

--
Unicyco - Trials and Muni Equipment Tester

Max "The Maniac" Dingemans

"The Following People Will Not be killed by me: Ned Flanders, Maude
flanders, Homer Simpson, Marge Simpson, Lisa Simpson, Maggie Simpson,
That is All." -Sideshow Bob
Unicyco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/941

Unicyco

Aug 27, 2002, 11:19:00 AM8/27/02

Unicyco wrote:
> *
>
> You dont seem to understand tony's shipping problem here...
>
> *

oops, sorry.

--
Unicyco - Trials and Muni Equipment Tester

Max "The Maniac" Dingemans

"The Following People Will Not be killed by me: Ned Flanders, Maude
flanders, Homer Simpson, Marge Simpson, Lisa Simpson, Maggie Simpson,
That is All." -Sideshow Bob
Unicyco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/941

sendhair

Aug 27, 2002, 11:34:07 AM8/27/02

Believe me, I understand. I live in Japan.

$/dollars is a relative term. All three websites in question are in the
US, so if you start quoting prices in other currencies without
mentioning -which-, it's a little meaningless.
US$/Canadian$/Australian$/NZ$/Singaporean$/the list goes on...

The quote that John Drummond gave me for -shipping- a Coker Deluxe plus
an extra tire and tube came to roughly 21,600 yen. Mean anything to
you? How about US$180?

I'm not complaining. That's halfway around the world -to my front
door-... but it's one of the reasons I have to spend a little more time
saving my yennies before I can get a Coker.

"Expensive" is more a matter of "how much buys what" than just "how
much".

You can probably buy a lot more lamb chops in NZ with "$500" than you
can in the States.

harper

Aug 27, 2002, 12:12:32 PM8/27/02

sendhair wrote:
> *I want to get one of these and rig it to hand over me while
> riding...
>
> Harper, interested in a rush order? Are there any rules against using
> Pyramid Power to reach Level 5? *

You meant "hang" didn't you? Hey, I was wearing one of those things on
my head yesterday. I'm going to try to get my money back. I'm sure they
offer a full refund in equivalent karma.

--
harper - Gearhead

-Greg Harper

With Jerry Gruss at UNICON:

Me: "Geez, did you see what he just did?!?"
Jerry: "Hey, just because Kris Holm can do it doesn't mean it's
possible."

sendhair

Aug 27, 2002, 12:43:04 PM8/27/02

*OUCH !*

Ex-spelling police busted by Internal Affairs!

It was just a typo! Only a typo! I didn't mean to do it!

Actually, I meant to type "suspend".

teachndad

Aug 27, 2002, 1:07:23 PM8/27/02

I'm not into cokers, and my knowledge is limited, but I thought
that Unicycle.com replaced the bearings on every Coker they sell,
because the stock bearings are not very durable.

Someone else with more knowledge needs to confirm that.
If that's the case, buying a Coker from Unicycle.com would include the
bearing replacement and probably a more durable
set up.

Maybe that service is included in the UNicycle.com price.

Work the maze.

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

John Foss

Aug 27, 2002, 1:14:58 PM8/27/02
to sendhair, r...@unicycling.org
> http://www.c4life.com/cp/images/catalog_large/suspyramid2.jpg]
> ..it will help me focus better and dissipate negative energy and drop
> into a peaceful rest while keeping my bananas and braised asparagus
> fresh.

Go ahead, send your money. The more people who do, the more "right" the
vendor is for selling them!

Unless you're looking for a nice decoration, or a silly hat. Then the laugh
is on somebody else... :-)

JF

U-Turn

Aug 27, 2002, 6:07:01 PM8/27/02

sendhair wrote:
> *while keeping my bananas and braised asparagus fresh.
> *

In that case, you may not need to buy an air seat!

--
U-Turn - Definitely not one of the Elite

~~~~~~~x (ouch)

Tony Melton

Aug 29, 2002, 11:06:41 PM8/29/02
> The quote that John Drummond gave me for -shipping- a Coker Deluxe plus
> an extra tire and tube came to roughly 21,600 yen. Mean anything to
> you? How about US$180?

That's not too bad - as Max said it'll cost nearly US$500 to send a Coker
to New Zealand. This is the reason why I'm interested in www.c4life.com. I've
emailed them and they said postage will cost US$85.20 via USPS. This is
considerably cheaper!

> You can probably buy a lot more lamb chops in NZ with "$500" than you
> can in the States.

Very true. Anyone want to send me a Coker for NZ$500 worth of lamb chops?

Tony Melton
NZUNI

john_childs

Aug 29, 2002, 11:45:06 PM8/29/02

Tony, there is an easy solution to this problem. Volunteer to host the
next UNICON. People from all over the world will come to New Zealand
and many of them will bring their Cokers. A few of them might be
persuaded to leaver their Coker in NZ for a small pile of currency.
Just think of all the unicycle importing you could get for free just for
hosting a UNICON.

--
john_childs

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

GizmoDuck

Aug 31, 2002, 7:27:22 PM8/31/02

john_childs wrote:
> *Tony, there is an easy solution to this problem. Volunteer to host

> the next UNICON. People from all over the world will come to New
> Zealand and many of them will bring their Cokers. A few of them might
> be persuaded to leaver their Coker in NZ for a small pile of currency.

> Just think of all the unicycle importing you could get for free just
> for hosting a UNICON. *

Not a bad idea, when was the last time Unicon was held in the Southern
hemisphere?

--
GizmoDuck - Caffeinated

AccordNSX

Sep 1, 2002, 3:45:16 PM9/1/02

It would be Winter time if we hosted it in the Southern?

--
AccordNSX - Broken Neck

If I had a signature, would you forge it?

AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

ekimstorm

Sep 1, 2002, 4:00:49 PM9/1/02

hey all.....

--
ekimstorm
ekimstorm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1154

ekimstorm

Sep 1, 2002, 4:02:16 PM9/1/02

damn.......

i accidentaly hit submit to early

now for what i was gonna post

hey all

how fast could one go on a coker?

thank you!

--
ekimstorm
ekimstorm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1154

harper

sendhair

Sep 2, 2002, 2:31:51 PM9/2/02

If you're interested in going that fast on your Coker, here's a little
gif that shows how Greg arrived at the speed estimate:

[image:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/mmedia/newtlaws/sd.gif] Nice
chute, Greg, but where's your Coker?

Here's the site that explains the physics:
'Freefall and Terminal Velocity'
(http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml)

Especially cool is this:
'First human to break the sound barrier without a Coker...'
(http://cherylstearns.evisionsite.com/StratoQuest.html)

OT, but 'A cool toy for juggling terminal velocity physics'
(http://tinyurl.com/19f0)

--
sendhair - Winking. Never blinking.

Rick
____________________________
"Never apologize. Never explain." -- Kathryn Hepburn

Klaas Bil

Sep 2, 2002, 7:51:27 PM9/2/02
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:32:22 -0500, harper
<harper...@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Theoretically one could reach 120 mph on a Coker within 3 seconds of
>jumping out of a Cessna atop one.

I think 120 mph happens to be about the speed that a Cessna flies so
you would have that velocity from the moment you jump. Interestingly,
120 mph is also the typical free fall velocity for a human (although I
could not find a quote for a free-falling Cokerhead). So I argue that
the velocity (as a scalar) will be roughly constant at 120 mph until
deployment of a parachute. Interesting, really. But OT.

Klaas Bil

AccordNSX

Sep 3, 2002, 2:00:50 AM9/3/02

When will unicycle.com be stocking the Miyata parachute seats?

--
AccordNSX - Broken Neck

If I had a signature, would you forge it?
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

sendhair

Sep 3, 2002, 1:33:59 PM9/3/02

> -originally posted by Klass Bil:-
> *I think 120 mph happens to be about the speed that a Cessna flies so

> you would have that velocity from the moment you jump.
> Interestingly,
> 120 mph is also the typical free fall velocity for a human (although
> could not find a quote for a free-falling Cokerhead). So I argue
> that
> the velocity (as a scalar) will be roughly constant at 120 mph until
> deployment of a parachute.*
C'mon, Klaas! Surely, even if you've never skydove before (I haven't),
you're aware that the aircraft's direction and the skydiver's direction
are (ideally) perpendicular...?

In the graphic model I provided, I believe that the helicopter's
downwash would actually accelerate the Cokerhead more rapidly than
Harper's original estimate. As we can see from the Stratoquest site,
there's an additional factor of initial altitude to consider.
Theoretically, given a sufficiently stratospheric starting point, your
average Cokerhead could easily attain Mach 1. I personally find it
worrying that the site contains NO information on what happens upon
parachute deployment at such speeds. Imagine Mach 1 abruptly
interrupted by some strings and a nylon sheet.

Therefore, I recommend an entirely separate and independent parachute
for the Coker itself. Preferrably with an automatic altitude-triggered
deployment system.

Your heirs may want to ride the Coker to work now and then... within
local speed limits, of course.

--
sendhair - Winking. Never blinking.

Rick
____________________________
"If anything should happen, just remember: DON'T go into the light! Walk
AWAY from the light!" -- Jagur

"Never apologize. Never explain." -- Kathryn Hepburn

"Don't pity me. Pity my creditors." -- James McNeill Whistler

sendhair's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1019

Klaas Bil

Sep 3, 2002, 6:15:32 PM9/3/02
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:33:59 -0500, sendhair
<sendhai...@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>C'mon, Klaas! Surely, even if you've never skydove before (I haven't),
>you're aware that the aircraft's direction and the skydiver's direction
>are (ideally) perpendicular...?

Yes, that's why I added the "as a scalar" qualification. The
skydiver's trajectory would approximate a parabola but the velocity
along the trajectory might well be about constant in magnitude. I have
not enough drive to work that out.

>In the graphic model I provided, I believe that the helicopter's
>downwash would actually accelerate the Cokerhead more rapidly than
>Harper's original estimate.

Yes but a Cessna is not a helicopter.

> As we can see from the Stratoquest site,
>there's an additional factor of initial altitude to consider.
>Theoretically, given a sufficiently stratospheric starting point, your
>average Cokerhead could easily attain Mach 1. I personally find it
>worrying that the site contains NO information on what happens upon
>parachute deployment at such speeds.

But it does warn against doing so. Interesting site by the way, I'd
never heard of this record skydive.

> Imagine Mach 1 abruptly
>interrupted by some strings and a nylon sheet.

I would guess there would be a failure of parts involved. So
"interrupted" is the correct word. :eek:

I can hear the topic police mumbling. Let's get the thread off here.
I'm not normally frequenting Just Conversation (or any forum for that
matter). Email me if you have any more comments.

Klaas Bil

If you had this signature, I have forged it.