Calf injury question

Michael

Aug 12, 2018, 6:57:08 PM8/12/18
I am mostly a runner, but this summer I've been riding my bike a lot more. I enjoy keeping it in the highest gear and time trialing 20 miles. The course is not too hilly, but I definitely feel it in my calves from time to time.

To get ready for a 5k run, I stopped biking and started ramping up my speed, not too much. But 2 weeks ago, I strained my right calf. Lots of massage and no running and 6 days later, I ran and felt great until I strained the OTHER calf. I waited another few days and today I ran easily no pain.

My question: Is this common among people who ride and run? Also, what exercises, therapy, stretches are recommended to keep healthy calves for people who bike and run. I'm worried it's going to happen again. I figure if anyone would know, it would be people in this group.

Thanks!