What's the oldest/longest running Triathlon in the country(USA)? World?

AU

Jul 2, 2001, 10:38:46 AM7/2/01
Anyone have an idea?

IKEGAL

Jul 2, 2001, 10:48:01 AM7/2/01
Music city (nashville) claims to be the second oldest at 20 or 21 years.

AU

Jul 2, 2001, 2:40:40 PM7/2/01
I am from the Rochester, NY area and there is a race here that has been
ongoing to 22 years. There is a claim around here that this is the oldest.
Hamlin Beach Triathlon. I was just thinking that the longest running tri
would be out on the west coast somewhere.

Adam

"IKEGAL" <ike...@aol.com> wrote in message

Lew Kidder

Jul 2, 2001, 2:35:01 PM7/2/01
Over the years, I've done a fair amount of research on this very subject.
Recently, I compiled a summary and posted it on www.cooltri.com. Here's the
most revision. NOTE: Nine races have existed for longer than Music City,
and 15 for longer than Hamlin Beach.

ONCE AND ALWAYS: The longest current streaks among events in our sport.
Updated on 4/15/01 to reflect additional information.

1974 - Eppie¹s Great Race. Paddle, bike, run. Sacramento, California.
According to the organizers, the first Eppie¹s was held on July 27, 1974.

1975 ‹ Los Alamos Triathlon. Los Alamos, New Mexico. First race was
November 2, 1975. For first 16 years or so, event was three closely spaced
time trials, scored cross-country style.

1975 - Pole, Pedal, Paddle. Winter version, with more than three legs.
Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

1977 - Pole, Pedal, Paddle. Son of the Wyoming parent. Bend, Oregon.

1977 ­ The Great Josh Billings Runaground. Canoe, bike, run. Great
Barrington, Massachusetts.

1978 - Ironman World Championship Triathlon. Started on Oahu, moved to
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii in 1981.

1978 - The Great Race. Auburn, New York. 10k Run/20mi bike/4 mi canoe
classic began in 1978. NOTE: Team competition only.

1978 - Seawolf Triathlon. Anchorage, Alaska.

1978 - Newport Beach Triathlon. Newport Beach, California. Began life as
the Human Race Triathlon.

1979 - Black Hills Triathlon. Olympia, Washington. Began as a
half-ironman, has since switched to shorter distances.

1979 - Music City Triathlon. Nashville, Tennessee.

1979 - Topeka Tinman. Topeka, Kansas.

1979 - YMCA Triathlon. Cancelled twice in recent years because of flooding.
Wilmington, North Carolina.

1979 - Super Frog Triathlon. San Diego, California. Originally limited to
military personnel. Open to public for past several years.

1979 - Little Miami Triathlon. Canoe, bike, run. Oregonia, Ohio.

1980 - Nepean Triathlon. Penrith, New South Wales, Australia. Generally
acknowledged as the first triathlon downunder, still perking along.

1980 - Heart O'Dixie Triathlon. Point to point, ending at the Neshoba
County fairgrounds. Philadelphia, Mississippi.

1980 - Cypress Gardens Triathlon. Run, bike, swim. Madhouse sprint, with a
teen-aged Nick Radkewich one of the early winners. Cypress Gardens,
Florida.

1980 - LaPorte Triathlon. LaPorte, Indiana.

1980 - Smith Falls Triathlon. Smith Falls, Ontario.

1980 - Wausau YMCA Triathlon. Wausau, Wisconsin. First race was one week
before first Menomonie Tinman.

1980 - Menomonie Tinman. Menomonie, Wisconsin. Half-ironman.

1980 - Muncie Endurathon. Muncie, Indiana. Half-ironman debuted on
September 13, 1980.

1980 - Hamlin Beach Triathlon. Began as a half-ironman, now conducted at
shorter distances. Rochester, New York.

1980 ­ Ridge to River Relay. Wenanatchee, WA. XC ski, downhill ski, run,
bike, canoe, portage. Over 2,000 athletes enter each year.

1980 - Blackwater Eagleman Triathlon. Oxford, Maryland. Created by WWII
flying ace Fletcher Hanks as the Oxford International Triathlon. This
streak has a asterisk, as the 1996 version was a late cancellation.

1981 - Longmont Triathlon. Longmont, Colorado. Pool swim.

1981 - Maine Tinman. Camden, Maine.

1981 - Mark Mellon Memorial Triathlon. Gaylord, Michigan. First race was
August of 1981.

1981 - Sylvania Triathlon. Sylvania, Ohio. Initially conceived by local
Vic Tanny club. Vic Tanny planned to drop in 1985, so Team Toledo picked up
the torch.

1981 - River Cities Triathlon. Shreveport, Louisiana. Sponsors include
Bicycle Sports, owned by windtunnel expert John Cobb. Lance Armstrong once
held course record.

1981 - Alcatraz Triathlon. San Francisco, California. This is the Dave
Horning (Enviro Sports) produced event, not to be confused with its
nationally televised cousin Escape from Alcatraz.

1981 - Dutch Open Championship Triathlon Long Distance. Almere,
Netherlands.

1981 - Yuma Tinman. Yuma, Arizona.

1981 - Triatlo de Rincon. Rincon, Puerto Rico.

1982 - Gerostein Triathlon. Gerostein, Germany.

1982 - Los Angeles Triathlon Series. Bonelli Park, San Dimas, California.
Three races in late Spring. World's longest continuing multisport series.

1982 - Frisch's Big Boy Classic Triathlon. East Fork State Park, Bethel,
Ohio. Originally called the Clermont Classic Triathlon.

1982 - Greater Wilkes Barre Triathlon. Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.

1982 - Carlsbad Triathlon. Carlsbad, California. Owned and produced by the
city of Carlsbad.

1982 ­ Maine Sport Triathlon. Rockport, ME. Owned by well-known outfitter.

1983 - Springfield Ironhorse Triathlon. Springfield, Illinois.

1983 - Santa Cruz Sentinel Triathlon. Santa Cruz, California. Owned by the
local newspaper. Field fills each year at 800.

1983 - Noosa Triathlon. Noosa, Australia. One of the world's largest
races.

1984 - Bardolino International Triathlon. Bardolino, Verona, Italy. First
race in Italy. Olympic distance.

1984 - Irondelta Triathlon. Lido delle Nazioni, Ferrara, Italy. Began as
an ironman, later shortened to Olympic distance.

1984. Peniche Triathlon. Peniche, Portugal. First triathlon in Portugal.
Held each year since.

----------
In article <9hq13d$16ko$1...@node21.cwnet.roc.gblx.net>, "AU"
<auz...@gblxnet.com> wrote:

> Anyone have an idea?

Brian Wagner

Jul 2, 2001, 4:46:24 PM7/2/01
Lew Kidder wrote:

> Over the years, I've done a fair amount of research on this very subject.
> Recently, I compiled a summary and posted it on www.cooltri.com. Here's the
> most revision. NOTE: Nine races have existed for longer than Music City,
> and 15 for longer than Hamlin Beach.
>
> ONCE AND ALWAYS: The longest current streaks among events in our sport.
> Updated on 4/15/01 to reflect additional information.

.
.

.
> 1978 - Ironman World Championship Triathlon. Started on Oahu, moved to
> Kailua-Kona, Hawaii in 1981.

It would appear that this is the first swim-bike-run race on
your list.
Is this the case?

AU

Jul 2, 2001, 5:06:19 PM7/2/01
Thanks for the information!!

Adam

"Lew Kidder" <l...@cooltri.com> wrote in message

Marty Wallace

Jul 2, 2001, 8:45:08 PM7/2/01
Blackwood Marathon Relay.
Started November 1979. (Still going strong!)
Western Australia.
12km run, 7km canoe, 1km swim, 16 km horse ride, 21 km bike ride.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~alanw1/index.html

Lew Kidder

Jul 2, 2001, 8:19:03 PM7/2/01
Depends on how strict your definition might be. The Los Alamos Triathlon
has always had swimming, biking, and running as its three legs . . . but, it
was three time-trials to begin with, and the order was bike, run, and swim
in its first few years. If you eliminate Los Alamos, then the Ironman is it
. . . unless you eliminate races which completely changed locations along
the way.

Lew

----------
In article <3B40DD54...@mr.marconimed.com>, Brian Wagner

Lew Kidder

Jul 2, 2001, 8:20:58 PM7/2/01
I'll add that one to my list.

Lew

----------
In article <cB807.4$mE4....@wa.nnrp.telstra.net>, "Marty Wallace"

Nicolas Urago

Jul 3, 2001, 3:26:02 AM7/3/01
The first Nice's Long Distance Triathlon was in '82.
It was the also the first of nine victories for Mark Allen.

The 20th edition will take place on the 23rd of september 2001.

Nicolas.

Fred Sommer

Jul 3, 2001, 3:26:01 PM7/3/01
Probably one of the oldest triathlons under the same race director is the
Great Clermont Triathlon in Clermont, Florida. 18 years with the same race
director.

Now I really feel old!

Fred Sommer

"Nicolas Urago" <nur...@amadeus.net> wrote in message

triboynz

Jul 5, 2001, 5:51:39 AM7/5/01
Lew,

Unbelievable research. Question. IM NZ is supposed to be the 2nd oldest IM
distance race. Is that correct? (The old Auckland version, not Taupo,
obvisoulsy).

Mike Tennent

Jul 5, 2001, 10:13:57 AM7/5/01
"Lew Kidder" <l...@cooltri.com> wrote:

>1980 - Cypress Gardens Triathlon. Run, bike, swim. Madhouse sprint, with a
>teen-aged Nick Radkewich one of the early winners. Cypress Gardens,
>Florida.

On a historic note: They originally called it a "triathon" (without
the "L") in it. They even noted that in the race literature.

I did it as my first tri in '86 or '87, I believe.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"
Ironman Canada '98
Great Floridian '99, '00

Lew Kidder

Jul 5, 2001, 1:32:31 PM7/5/01
In year two, the organizers called it "One 'L' of a race".

----------
In article
<AB9325F8D3F401F8.D80FD4EE...@lp.airnews.net>, Mike

Dave Schoonmaker

Jul 6, 2001, 5:44:43 AM7/6/01
Mike Tennent <iro...@darientel.net> wrote in message

What of Heart of Dixie, which will enjoy its 22nd running this year?

http://www.neshobademocrat.com/neshobademocrat/myarticles.asp?P=442160&S=536
&PubID=7696&EC=0

David Schoonmaker

Mark Lulling

Jul 6, 2001, 10:37:00 AM7/6/01
I beleive the Muncie Endurathon is entering its 22nd year. Always a tough
one to race.

20/20
TRI FORT TRIATHLETES

Lew Kidder

Jul 6, 2001, 11:01:52 AM7/6/01
HOD is on the list I submitted early in this thread (on July 2nd).

Lew

----------
In article <fMf17.618$kc1....@bgtnsc07-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Dave

Nick Munting

Jul 6, 2001, 10:19:09 PM7/6/01
While recently researching a story on John Collins I discovered this little
gem, which surely wins the big prize!

The Mission Bay Triathlon of 25th September 1974 is recognised as the first
modern triathlon (the French have newspaper reports of a 1930S events known
as Trois Riveriers, which was indeed a triathlon in form, function and
discipline.

That race (Mission Bay, not the French event) featured the entire Collins
family who took the triathlon idea to Coronado where a triathlon, first put
on in 1975 by their Masters Swim Coach, a retired Navy Frogman Stan Antrim,
is still an annual event!

It started as part of the Coronado Optimist Club Summer Sports Fiesta and I
believe still runs today!

I don't know the original date of the first race except it was in 1975!

That would give it a history of 26 years!
Nick Munting

triboynz

Jul 7, 2001, 12:13:07 AM7/7/01

Nick Munting wrote >

> The Mission Bay Triathlon of 25th September 1974 is recognised as the
first
> modern triathlon (the French have newspaper reports of a 1930S events
known
> as Trois Riveriers, which was indeed a triathlon in form, function and
> discipline.

I did this tri in 1982, when it had (I think) become the Les Mills 'City of
Auckland' tri. My very first. No such thing as transition areas. Bikes
held by friends, loads of naked athletes everywhere, drafting on the bike,
and an 11 km run to finish. Been hooked ever since. Not too sure if it or
its descendent still runs here in Auckalnd, though.

Nick Munting

Jul 7, 2001, 4:23:41 AM7/7/01
That was another Tri completely, the two I refer to are both CA, USA based..
they aren't the early New Zealand races...
NM

"triboynz" <s...@coolnet.co.nz>

Triathalator

Jul 10, 2001, 7:48:12 AM7/10/01
although the mission bay triathlon has not continuously been held, it was first
held on Sept 25, 1974

Here is the message they had on the flyers to advertise it:

"The First Annual? Mission Bay Triathlon, a race consisting of segments of
running, bicycle riding, and swimming, will start at the causeway to Fiesta
Island at 5:45 P.M. September 25. The event will consist of 6 miles of running
(longest continuous stretch, 2.8 miles), 5 miles of bicycle riding (all at
once), and 500 yards of swimming (longest continuous stretch, 250 yards).
Approximately 2 miles of running will be barefoot on grass and sand. Each
participant must bring his own bicycle. Awards will be presented to the first
five finishers. For further details contact Don Shanahan (xxx-xxxx) or Jack
Johnstone (xxx-xxxx). "

There is also a fascinating article that tells the whole story, you can find
it at:

http://home.san.rr.com/johnstone/

Steve A

lh...@hotmail.com

Jan 30, 2019, 3:36:11 PM1/30/19
Lew, just saw this post. You forgot in 1979 the Emmaus Road Runners Triathlon began in Eastern Pennsylvania.
1 mile swim / 30 mile cycle / 10 mile run. Rodale Press i believe was the original sponsor along with their Runners World magazine.
I won in ‘81 and ‘82. In’82 the following week I won Wilkes Barre in their first ever race then the next weekend I won Hamlin Beach on Lake Ontario.