I just watched 'Carol'

Whisper

Dec 22, 2015, 3:59:43 AM12/22/15

Looks like a 3rd oscar for Cate?

TT

Dec 22, 2015, 7:33:39 AM12/22/15
22.12.2015, 10:59, Whisper kirjoitti:

> Looks like a 3rd oscar for Cate?

I hope not. She somehow appals me.

Gracchus

Dec 22, 2015, 12:17:59 PM12/22/15
She is undeniably a good actress, but her last acceptance speech put me off. Anyway, it's stupid to try and predict Oscar winners this time of year. Right now it's all about industry politics and jockeying for position.

Court_1

Dec 22, 2015, 5:29:06 PM12/22/15
Blanchett is a good actress and I want to see "Carol." As for your comment about it being too early to predict the Oscar winners, how much do you want to bet that Leo Dicaprio will probably win his coveted Oscar this year based on the buzz already surrounding his performance in The Revenant? I have a feeling it's his time(that's without me seeing a single performance of any actor creating award buzz yet.) You better get your barf bag ready because the Leo Oscar talk is already in full force! :)

Court_1

Dec 22, 2015, 5:29:51 PM12/22/15
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 3:59:43 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:

> Looks like a 3rd oscar for Cate?

Whisper, did you like the film?

Gracchus

Dec 22, 2015, 6:30:13 PM12/22/15
Well to this point, I've feared that 2016 will be Year of the Transgender at the Oscars. That would make Eddie Redmayne frontrunner for "The Danish Girl." While winning back-to-back acting Oscars is unusual, it is not unprecedented. But Leo? That would be a hell of a lot worse indeed. The industry does seem to love him for some unfathomable reason. But they haven't given an Oscar to Cruise or Pitt yet despite multiple nominations, so who knows?

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 12:20:42 AM12/23/15
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 6:30:13 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> Well to this point, I've feared that 2016 will be Year of the Transgender at the Oscars. That would make Eddie Redmayne frontrunner for "The Danish Girl."

Have you seen The Danish girl yet?

>But Leo? That would be a hell of a lot worse indeed.

LOL, you haven't even seen The Revenant yet so how do you know how Leo's performance is?

> The industry does seem to love him for some unfathomable reason.

He makes them money. Many of his movies do well at the box office. What else could it be?

> But they haven't given an Oscar to Cruise or Pitt yet despite multiple nominations, so who knows?

Yes but Leo is a better/more respected actor than those other two wooden muppets.

Gracchus

Dec 23, 2015, 12:42:45 AM12/23/15
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 9:20:42 PM UTC-8, Court_1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 6:30:13 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> > Well to this point, I've feared that 2016 will be Year of the Transgender at the Oscars. That would make Eddie Redmayne frontrunner for "The Danish Girl."

> Have you seen The Danish girl yet?

No.

> >But Leo? That would be a hell of a lot worse indeed.

> LOL, you haven't even seen The Revenant yet so how do you know how Leo's performance is?

Because he's Leo. Yes, I know he wowed you with that killer Afrikaans accent and tough-guy goatee in "Blood Diamond," but as far as I'm concerned, all Leo's performances are embarrassing.

Of course, in this case, Iñárritu is directing...and anyone who can produce a masterwork like "Birdman" might also be able to perform miracles with Leo.

> > The industry does seem to love him for some unfathomable reason.

> He makes them money. Many of his movies do well at the box office. What else could it be?

Now that's a loaded question.

> > But they haven't given an Oscar to Cruise or Pitt yet despite multiple nominations, so who knows?

> Yes but Leo is a better/more respected actor than those other two wooden muppets.

The hell he is. He just gets better roles and then makes a mess of them. The other two at least know their limitations.

Whisper

Dec 23, 2015, 1:41:54 AM12/23/15
I liked it a lot. It would be best if you could separate the character
from Blanchett the person, as that would make you evaluate her
performance more objectively. I find the great actors tend not to get as
much credit as they deserve as we have higher standards/expectations for
them. If this was the 1st time you saw her, or if this was her 1st
performance, you'd be blown away I think. It's a very engaging story,
draws you in & is never dull. Movies like this never seem long enough
as there is so much more to explore. You could easily turn it into a 20
episode tv season.

I'd give it as high as 9 out of 10.

--
"A GOAT who isn't BOAT can never become GOAT if he plays alongside BOAT"

Gerrit

Dec 23, 2015, 7:22:36 AM12/23/15

"Whisper" wrote in message

Is the film about tennis?

jdeluise

Dec 23, 2015, 8:33:50 AM12/23/15
"Gerrit" <s...@for.you> writes:

> Is the film about tennis?

What's "tennis"? Never heard of it. This is a movie and politics
newsgroup... get with the program.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 12:27:16 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 12:42:45 AM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> Because he's Leo. Yes, I know he wowed you with that killer Afrikaans accent and tough-guy goatee in "Blood Diamond," but as far as I'm concerned, all Leo's performances are embarrassing.

He was "ok" in Blood Diamond despite the awful accent. He was also good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and the Aviator from what I recall. He was fine in movies like The Departed too. He's no Laurence Olivier but he's far from the worst actor out of the current crop.

> Of course, in this case, Iñárritu is directing...and anyone who can produce a masterwork like "Birdman" might also be able to perform miracles with Leo.

I was waiting for you to mention the director! :) I like that director's films so I am actually looking forward to watching The Revenant.

> > > The industry does seem to love him for some unfathomable reason.
>
> > He makes them money. Many of his movies do well at the box office. What else could it be?
>
> Now that's a loaded question.

Ha ha. He probably gives good head. :)

> > Yes but Leo is a better/more respected actor than those other two wooden muppets.
>
> The hell he is. He just gets better roles and then makes a mess of them. The other two at least know their limitations.

Let's see how he does in The Revenant and if he messes that up. After all of the hype, I'll probably be underwhelmed.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 12:41:29 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 1:41:54 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:

> I liked it a lot.

I watched it last night and thought it was very good, much better than the movie Brooklyn which was also a 1950s period piece.

> It would be best if you could separate the character
> from Blanchett the person, as that would make you evaluate her
> performance more objectively. I find the great actors tend not to get as
> much credit as they deserve as we have higher standards/expectations for
> them. If this was the 1st time you saw her, or if this was her 1st
> performance, you'd be blown away I think.

I know exactly what you mean. It didn't require the type of highly dramatic acting that she did in movies like Elizabeth or from what I understand Blue Jasmine (I haven't seen it yet) but it was a more understated performance which was exactly what was required from the role. She's very good and for sure one of the best in the business today whether she appeals to you or not.

> It's a very engaging story,
> draws you in & is never dull. Movies like this never seem long enough
> as there is so much more to explore. You could easily turn it into a 20
> episode tv season.

I think the first 20 minutes or so were slow but after that the story became absorbing and moving in some areas. It was a well-written, well-directed, well-acted (by Blanchett more so than Rooney Mara), stylish film. You actually felt like you were in the 1950s.

> I'd give it as high as 9 out of 10.

I think I'd give it around an 8? But definitely a nice film.

TT

Dec 23, 2015, 1:34:17 PM12/23/15
23.12.2015, 19:41, Court_1 kirjoitti:
> from what I understand Blue Jasmine

She really played the material snobby desperate whore to perfection
there, probably because the role was much like her real life persona.

TT

Dec 23, 2015, 1:42:39 PM12/23/15
23.12.2015, 15:33, jdeluise kirjoitti:
> What's "tennis"?

It's a game played on crushed bricks during summertime.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 1:57:21 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 1:34:17 PM UTC-5, TT wrote:

> She really played the material snobby desperate whore to perfection
> there, probably because the role was much like her real life persona.

????? Her real life persona is a snobby desperate whore? What in God's name are you talking about?

Whether her "persona" appeals to you or not, she is one of the best actresses working today by far. Which actress working today can actually "act" as well as she can?
You are probably going to say somebody like J-Lo. I'm expecting to have a good laugh at your answer.

Gracchus

Dec 23, 2015, 2:10:47 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 9:27:16 AM UTC-8, Court_1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 12:42:45 AM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> He was "ok" in Blood Diamond despite the awful accent. He was also good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and the Aviator from what I recall. He was fine in movies like The Departed too. He's no Laurence Olivier but he's far from the worst actor out of the current crop.

I never saw "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." He was fine in "This Boy's Life," but of course he was an actual teenager then instead of a 40+-year-old man still behaving like a teen. Previews of "The Aviator" were enough to keep me away from that one. It was total miscasting even if Leo could act. And as with "Gangs of New York," "The Departed" emphatically proved that his attempts to play any kind of tough guy or badass are laughable. Add a goatee, leather jacket, blue-collar accent or whatever, it doesn't matter. Any real tough would know he's a weenie at first sight and knock him flat.

> > Of course, in this case, Iñárritu is directing...and anyone who can produce a masterwork like "Birdman" might also be able to perform miracles with Leo.

> I was waiting for you to mention the director! :) I like that director's films so I am actually looking forward to watching The Revenant.

I'll go out on a limb here and make a prediction: pretentious and overrated.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 2:39:58 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 2:10:47 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> I never saw "What's Eating Gilbert Grape."

He was good in it but he was very young at the time. 19 I think?

> He was fine in "This Boy's Life," but of course he was an actual teenager then instead of a 40+-year-old man still behaving like a teen.

Yes, he was good in that too.

> Previews of "The Aviator" were enough to keep me away from that one. It was total miscasting even if Leo could act.

He wasn't really miscast at all. Howard Hughes was tall and thin and so is DiCaprio (or at least he was thin back then.) Also Hughes became successful at a very young age so the fact that DiCaprio was young and looked young when he took on that role wasn't a problem. He did a pretty good job in that role. Trust me, I'm picky.

> And as with "Gangs of New York," "The Departed" emphatically proved that his attempts to play any kind of tough guy or badass are laughable. Add a goatee, leather jacket, blue-collar accent or whatever, it doesn't matter. Any real tough would know he's a weenie at first sight and knock him flat.

He didn't bother me in those roles. I'm neutral about it.

> > I was waiting for you to mention the director! :) I like that director's films so I am actually looking forward to watching The Revenant.
>
> I'll go out on a limb here and make a prediction: pretentious and overrated.

We'll soon find out. I will try and go see it over the holidays. I liked the director's other work like Birdman and 21 Grams. Yes I know, you didn't like those films. We'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

Gracchus

Dec 23, 2015, 3:00:48 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 11:39:58 AM UTC-8, Court_1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 2:10:47 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> > Previews of "The Aviator" were enough to keep me away from that one. It was total miscasting even if Leo could act.

> He wasn't really miscast at all. Howard Hughes was tall and thin and so is DiCaprio (or at least he was thin back then.) Also Hughes became successful at a very young age so the fact that DiCaprio was young and looked young when he took on that role wasn't a problem. He did a pretty good job in that role. Trust me, I'm picky.

Hughes was 6'4" and Dicaprio 6'0". Plus Leo has a gouda head and Hughes didn't. But the physical differences are the least of it. When it comes to portraying real-life characters, Leo is miscast playing anyone significantly different from himself. I've just watched some clips of the film, and I guess it's just another thing we'll have to agree to disagree on. Because IMO his attempts to sound and act like Hughes thoroughly suck.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 3:18:57 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 3:00:48 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> Hughes was 6'4" and Dicaprio 6'0".

That's close enough. You don't find many tall actors out there. A lot are midgets. They were both lanky/lean.

> Plus Leo has a gouda head and Hughes didn't.

It was a pretty good likeness:

http://www.milliontalks.com/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-8-034306900%201294725616_thumb.jpg

> But the physical differences are the least of it. When it comes to portraying real-life characters, Leo is miscast playing anyone significantly different from himself. I've just watched some clips of the film, and I guess it's just another thing we'll have to agree to disagree on. Because IMO his attempts to sound and act like Hughes thoroughly suck.

LOL. I saw it so long ago when it first came out but I thought Leo did a good job back then. I'm going to have to watch it again to refresh my memory and see if I still feel the same way now. Why don't you try and watch it and give it a chance? It will help prepare you for the Oscar that Leo will probably win this year. :)

jdeluise

Dec 23, 2015, 3:36:49 PM12/23/15
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> writes:

> He wasn't really miscast at all. Howard Hughes was tall and thin and
> so is DiCaprio (or at least he was thin back then.) Also Hughes became
> successful at a very young age so the fact that DiCaprio was young and
> looked young when he took on that role wasn't a problem. He did a
> pretty good job in that role. Trust me, I'm picky.

I'm with Gracchus, if DiCaprio is in it there is very little chance I'll
be watching it. He's cringeworthy.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 4:14:42 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 3:36:49 PM UTC-5, jdeluise wrote:
DiCaprio is middle of the road for me. He has been good in some things but mediocre in most things. He's certainly not an actor whose films I would completely avoid the way I would for say Will Smith, Jim Carrey, Ryan Reynolds, Will Ferrell, Vin Diesel (wtf?), Mark Wahlberg (can he even speak the English language?), Jack Black, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, etc. etc.

jdeluise

Dec 23, 2015, 4:53:23 PM12/23/15
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Will Smith, Jim Carrey, Ryan Reynolds, Will Ferrell, Vin Diesel
> (wtf?), Mark Wahlberg (can he even speak the English language?), Jack
> Black, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, etc. etc.

For me the difference is many of those actors don't take themselves that
seriously, but I think DiCaprio does. Yet he doesn't fit most of the
roles he's cast in, he's not able to overcome his limitations the way a
truly great actor can.

Court_1

Dec 23, 2015, 5:17:33 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 4:53:23 PM UTC-5, jdeluise wrote:
> Court_1 :
I understand your point of view and it's a valid point. I'm really curious about "The Revenant" now to see if DiCaprio messes it up as Gracchus would say.

Look at the other list of actors who are receiving award attention and somehow one gets the feeling this could be DiCaprio's year. If he can't win an Oscar with that list of competition, when can he? I doubt they will give it to Redmayne two years in a row. Would they give an Oscar to that heroin addict/weirdo Johnny Depp? Fassbinder could win it but Steve Jobs didn't do that well at the box office and the reviews have been mixed. I haven't seen any of the films yet so I can't really say for sure. DiCaprio is also big on environmental and political causes which is another plus for him given the Academy members are conservative.