Iceberg your opinion?

*skriptis

Nov 22, 2022, 5:52:33 AM11/22/22
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_football_team

England have been the only Home Nation to have any major success internationally, winning the 1966 World Cup. Scotland have qualified for the final tournaments of eight World Cups and three European Championships, but have never progressed beyond the group stage of any international tournament. Wales reached the semi-finals of the European Championships in 2016, and Wales have qualified for World Cup finals twice - in 1958 and 2022 while Northern Ireland haven't qualified for a World Cup Finals since 1986.

This is sometimes raised as an argument in favour of a single United Kingdom national team: based on statistical analysis. In June 2006, it was estimated that a United Kingdom national team would have had a one-third greater chance of winning the 2006 World Cup, than England did at the tournament's outset. Opponents of the plan argue that the existing footballing identities of the fans of the Home Nations should not be sacrificed simply to stand a better chance of success.

There has been limited support for the creation of a permanent British national team. Although often hypothetical in nature, such a proposal has been put forward by prominent government ministers, including Jack Straw and Tony Banks. In July 2014, after England performed poorly in the 2014 World Cup, Conservative MP Laurence Robertson submitted an early day motion, calling for a United Kingdom Football Team.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

The Iceberg

Nov 22, 2022, 11:03:47 AM11/22/22
it one of those things that sounds like a good idea, our 2006 squad could've had Ryan Giggs before that Ian Rush who could've made a big difference etc and probably if you talk to us fans, we'd all say "yes it sounds like a good idea!". Then you ask us "should we do this?" and we will ALL loudly shout NO FREAKIN WAY! that would especially be from Scottish, Welsh fans, us English and Northern Irish are a bit easier going, but you'd also get an emphatic NOOOO from us too! it about national identity, national rivalry and thousands of years of history. Us English would see it as trying to demean our Glorious 1966 WIN too. Everyone moaned about Andy Murray saying he supported anyone but England at football, but he was just being honest as a Scotsman they are all like that, most of them cheered when we lost the Euro final last year! interestingly we English cheer for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in football and other sports when they are playing and we all come together as an Amazing Team at the Olympics and in others sports, but it IS different considering uniting the football team.

*skriptis

Nov 23, 2022, 4:27:36 AM11/23/22
The Iceberg <iceber...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> On Tuesday, 22 November 2022 at 10:52:33 UTC, *skriptis wrote:> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_football_team > > England have been the only Home Nation to have any major success internationally, winning the 1966 World Cup. Scotland have qualified for the final tournaments of eight World Cups and three European Championships, but have never progressed beyond the group stage of any international tournament. Wales reached the semi-finals of the European Championships in 2016, and Wales have qualified for World Cup finals twice - in 1958 and 2022 while Northern Ireland haven't qualified for a World Cup Finals since 1986. > > This is sometimes raised as an argument in favour of a single United Kingdom national team: based on statistical analysis. In June 2006, it was estimated that a United Kingdom national team would have had a one-third greater chance of winning the 2006 World Cup, than England did at the tournament's outset. Opponents of the plan argue that the existing footballing identities of the fans of the Home Nations should not be sacrificed simply to stand a better chance of success. > > There has been limited support for the creation of a permanent British national team. Although often hypothetical in nature, such a proposal has been put forward by prominent government ministers, including Jack Straw and Tony Banks. In July 2014, after England performed poorly in the 2014 World Cup, Conservative MP Laurence Robertson submitted an early day motion, calling for a United Kingdom Football Team. it one of those things that sounds like a good idea, our 2006 squad could've had Ryan Giggs before that Ian Rush who could've made a big difference etc and probably if you talk to us fans, we'd all say "yes it sounds like a good idea!". Then you ask us "should we do this?" and we will ALL loudly shout NO FREAKIN WAY! that would especially be from Scottish, Welsh fans, us English and Northern Irish are a bit easier going, but you'd also get an emphatic NOOOO from us too! it about national identity, national rivalry and thousands of years of history. Us English would see it as trying to demean our Glorious 1966 WIN too. Everyone moaned about Andy Murray saying he supported anyone but England at football, but he was just being honest as a Scotsman they are all like that, most of them cheered when we lost the Euro final last year! interestingly we English cheer for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in football and other sports when they are playing and we all come together as an Amazing Team at the Olympics and in others sports, but it IS different considering uniting the football team.

Yes, it seems nobody really wants it that much.

But it's also true everyone would benefit. I think the calculations are correct, UK team would be cca 33% better than England so better chance of winning big titles. If they get to keep their team spirit.

OTOH Scotland, Wales and (Northern) Ireland and their rare top players would be put to good use. E.g. Giggs or Bale were wasted in a way.

Of course I understand national pride of smaller nations and these British nations have had their national teams since very beginning so there's no way to merge them now.

Still it feels bizarre in a way, I think they've got "the worst of two worlds".

They're not independent, yet they have their small teams that can never realistically challenge for the big titles.

So they have no actual independence (if that's what matters to them) and they can't compete for World Cup either.

I feel it's a bad deal.

Imagine Catalonia not getting their independence, but being allowed separate national football team? It only weakens Spain and no good use for Catalonia, unlikely they'll be able to challenge for World Cup by themselves.

Still, Greece, Netherlands, Denmark, Czechoslovakia, Portugal they all won EURO it seems it's a bit easier competition for snaller teams.

Also Netherlands and us reached World Cup final recently so it's possible for tiny nations to do something.

But it all just feels like Ferrer vs Nadal. An uphill battle.