The Longest Grand Slam Rally Ever?

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:03:08 AM4/28/21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDm254jtZA

71 strokes.

It may be the longest GS rally ever.

Djokovic won the longest recorded rally at Wimbledon with 45 strokes,
but they only started keeping these records since 2005;

https://apnews.com/article/3e795d8a4fcf4c17a876ecf94b257b04

Wilander v Vilas had a 68 stroke rally in 1982 FO final;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYds3V-fAXk

Does anyone really enjoy these rallies? You can hear the crowd in the
Monfils match getting annoyed as it looked like a warmup and no bastard
would come to net to finish it.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:05:46 AM4/28/21
Apparently Borg v Vilas had a 78 stroke rally at 1978 FO.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:08:40 AM4/28/21
Sampras & Goran had a 45 minute Manchester final 64 64. If you take the
serve out pretty sure that match had about the same strokes as that 1 point.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:16:47 AM4/28/21
On 28/04/2021 10:08 pm, Whisper wrote:
> On 28/04/2021 10:05 pm, Whisper wrote:
>
> Sampras & Goran had a 45 minute Manchester final 64 64.  If you take the
> serve out pretty sure that match had about the same strokes as that 1
> point.

Wow found the whole match;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV__Z7Nd4C8

If we don't count aces, serve winners I bet this whole match had less
than 71 strokes.

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 28, 2021, 8:17:24 AM4/28/21
On 28/04/2021 15.03, Whisper wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDm254jtZA

Tremendous cat&mouse rally. Monfils actually lost because he tried to
claw his way through (his last FH). Shoulda continued squeaking!

--
“We need to acknowledge he let us down. He went down a path he shouldn’t
have, and we shouldn’t have followed him. We shouldn’t have listened to

*skriptis

Apr 28, 2021, 8:20:29 AM4/28/21
Whisper <beav...@ozedmail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDm254jtZA71 strokes.It may be the longest GS rally ever.Djokovic won the longest recorded rally at Wimbledon with 45 strokes, but they only started keeping these records since 2005;https://apnews.com/article/3e795d8a4fcf4c17a876ecf94b257b04Wilander v Vilas had a 68 stroke rally in 1982 FO final;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYds3V-fAXkDoes anyone really enjoy these rallies? You can hear the crowd in the Monfils match getting annoyed as it looked like a warmup and no bastard would come to net to finish it.

There should be a formula to weed out these fake long rallies from the real ones.

Obviously you can't exclude a rally from the list based on speed of the shots as sometimes (often) you have drop shots which are by definition slow.

Even requiring some minimal average speed for the entire rally would not be a good path. E.g. if you have 2 or 3 drop shots, it lowers the average speed of the rally.

But I think there could be some formula which would recognize the moment in which it becomes a baseline pushing contest?
E.g. 5+ consecutive shots from the baseline bellow the required speed

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:20:50 AM4/28/21
On 28/04/2021 10:17 pm, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> On 28/04/2021 15.03, Whisper wrote:
>>

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDm254jtZA
>>

> Tremendous cat&mouse rally. Monfils actually lost because he tried to
> claw his way through (his last FH). Shoulda continued squeaking!

Semen is normally a pretty good player, but this looked like a training
drill.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:22:16 AM4/28/21
At the end they say Goran lost only 6 points on serve in the whole match : )

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 8:32:46 AM4/28/21
These guys are good enough to have a 5,000 stroke rally if that's what
they wanted. They lose a lot of physical & mental energy on these type
of points & need to be respectful to fans. Only a small minority enjoy
watching them. Imagine a whole match of similar rallies that goes 5 sets?

*skriptis

Apr 28, 2021, 8:33:54 AM4/28/21
Whisper <beav...@ozedmail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
> On 28/04/2021 10:05 pm, Whisper wrote:> On 28/04/2021 10:03 pm, Whisper wrote:>>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDm254jtZA>>>>>> 71 strokes.>>>> It may be the longest GS rally ever.>>>> Djokovic won the longest recorded rally at Wimbledon with 45 strokes, >> but they only started keeping these records since 2005;>>>> https://apnews.com/article/3e795d8a4fcf4c17a876ecf94b257b04>>>>>> Wilander v Vilas had a 68 stroke rally in 1982 FO final;>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYds3V-fAXk>>>>>> Does anyone really enjoy these rallies? You can hear the crowd in the >> Monfils match getting annoyed as it looked like a warmup and no >> bastard would come to net to finish it.>>>>>>> > > Apparently Borg v Vilas had a 78 stroke rally at 1978 FO.Sampras & Goran had a 45 minute Manchester final 64 64. If you take the serve out pretty sure that match had about the same strokes as that 1 point.

A once great tournament?

The Manchester Open previously known as the Northern Lawn Tennis Championships, the Northern Championships, the Northern Tennis Tournament and the Manchester Trophy was a grass court tennis tournament on the ATP Tour held at the Northern Lawn Tennis Club, in the Didsbury suburb of Manchester, Great Britain.

The tournament had been held annually from 1880 to 2009. Prior to the creation of the International Lawn Tennis Federation and the establishment of its world championship events in 1913 it was considered by players and historians one of the four most important tennis tournaments to win, the others being Wimbledon, the U.S. National championships and the Irish Championships.

Too bad that many of these now defunct, but once great tournaments such as Northern Championships (Manchester), Irish Championships, Victorian Championships, New South Wales Championships etc don't exist anymore, at least as ATP 500s or ATP 250s.

It's breaking up with the history.

I guess it's what makes slams important? They're the only ones seemingly eternal.

MBDunc

Apr 28, 2021, 8:36:31 AM4/28/21
On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 3:05:46 PM UTC+3, Whisper wrote:
> Apparently Borg v Vilas had a 78 stroke rally at 1978 FO.

This says it was 86 strokes.

"Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils have broken the record for the longest rally in Australian Open history.
However, their 71-shot marathon fell 15 strokes short of the all-time Grand Slam record held by Bjorn Borg and Guillermo Vilas, set at the 1978 French Open."

.mikko

*skriptis

Apr 28, 2021, 8:38:14 AM4/28/21
MBDunc <mich...@dnainternet.net> Wrote in message:r
> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 3:05:46 PM UTC+3, Whisper wrote:> Apparently Borg v Vilas had a 78 stroke rally at 1978 FO.This says it was 86 strokes."Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils have broken the record for the longest rally in Australian Open history.However, their 71-shot marathon fell 15 strokes short of the all-time Grand Slam record held by Bjorn Borg and Guillermo Vilas, set at the 1978 French Open.".mikko

78 strokes at 1978 FO sounds better.

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 28, 2021, 8:51:43 AM4/28/21
Maybe that's why they play them.

> & need to be respectful to fans.  Only a small minority enjoy
> watching them.  Imagine a whole match of similar rallies that goes 5 sets?

Simon squeaked through 8-6 in the 5th. I wonder if I can buy this match
from somewhere.

Max's Hoemom

Apr 28, 2021, 8:54:36 AM4/28/21
Thanks for confirming how boring Sampras/Ivanisevic matches were.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 9:05:59 AM4/28/21
On 28/04/2021 10:38 pm, *skriptis wrote:
> MBDunc <mich...@dnainternet.net> Wrote in message:r
>> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 3:05:46 PM UTC+3, Whisper wrote:> Apparently Borg v Vilas had a 78 stroke rally at 1978 FO.This says it was 86 strokes."Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils have broken the record for the longest rally in Australian Open history.However, their 71-shot marathon fell 15 strokes short of the all-time Grand Slam record held by Bjorn Borg and Guillermo Vilas, set at the 1978 French Open.".mikko
>

> 78 strokes at 1978 FO sounds better.

78 in '78 - good t-shirt.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 9:08:03 AM4/28/21
You must have short attention span. How can a 43 minute match be boring
when you have 11 hour matches out there?

TT

Apr 28, 2021, 9:46:30 AM4/28/21
I am *VERY* doubtful that these are longest rallies ever. Perhaps in
Open Era.

I've read some stuff about rallies that were in the hundreds, before
Open Era.

And then there's this...

"According to tennislovers.com The longest rally in tournament play was
one of 643 times over the net between Vicky Nelson and Jean Hepner at
Richmond, VA in October 1984. The 6 hr 22 min match was won by Nelson
6-4, 7-6. It concluded with a 1 hr 47 min tiebreak, 13-11, for which one
point took 29 minutes."

"As the 642nd shot of the rally floated high above her head, Vicki
Nelson decided it was time to go for a winner."

“There was tons of lobbing,” Nelson-Dunbar said. “I would try to come in
and she’d lob me again.”

“We were both pretty much standing on the baseline lobbing,”
Nelson-Dunbar said.

-

But even that is on Open Era and might not be the longest.

Whisper

Apr 28, 2021, 10:50:24 AM4/28/21
Talking grand slams.

stephenj

Apr 28, 2021, 11:04:48 AM4/28/21
Borg beat defending champ Vilas 6-1 6-1 6-3 in the 78 FO final. That's
about as dominant a demolition of a peak-level top champ on his favorite
surface as you are going to see.

TT

Apr 28, 2021, 11:36:32 AM4/28/21
I know. And suspect there are no records of this from slams pre open era.

--
'Keep yappin' man'

Whisper

Apr 29, 2021, 12:30:05 AM4/29/21
Long rallies though. Someone once said Vilas could keep the rally going
for 12 hours, only problem is Borg could go 12 days : )

Whisper

Apr 29, 2021, 12:34:10 AM4/29/21
No, as nobody really counted before. Odds are the actual record would
be higher, maybe even one of Borg's earlier FO matches?

Though if you go back even further more players attacked the net forcing
an end to the point much sooner, and also surfaces weren't as good.
Tough to see a grass rally having that many strokes in the old days, but
possible I guess?