No sunglasses allowed?

Diane Wms

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99
Are sunglasses not allowed at Wimbledon? I see the players squint a lot and
wonder why they're not wearing sunglasses.

Diane Williams
"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind." --Emerson
Olympic Beach Volleyball photos at http://volleyball.org/ladydi/index.html

rw

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99

Diane Wms wrote:

> Are sunglasses not allowed at Wimbledon?

Yes.

> I see the players squint a lot and
> wonder why they're not wearing sunglasses.

Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow down
your reaction time a bit. Zvereva is one notable exception, and I think
she just wears them because she wants to look cool.

By the way, I nearly always wear sunglasses when I play tennis.

--

Please reply to royalwulff@REMOVE_THISearthlink.net. (Reply-to set to
something bogus to avoid spam)

Podibanda Kuruppu

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99
On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 17:45:51 -0600, rw <nospam...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Diane Wms wrote:
>>
>> Are sunglasses not allowed at Wimbledon?
>
>Yes.
>
>> I see the players squint a lot and
>> wonder why they're not wearing sunglasses.
>
>Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow down
>your reaction time a bit. Zvereva is one notable exception, and I think
>she just wears them because she wants to look cool.
>
>By the way, I nearly always wear sunglasses when I play tennis.

And how do they help you? I'd suspect that the sunglasses reduces the
glare a little bit but it also affects visibility and therefore your
ability to keep track of the ball.

I do wear glasses otherwise but take them off when I play - one eye is
near-sighted and the other, far-sighted.

rw

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99

Podibanda Kuruppu wrote:

> And how do they help you? I'd suspect that the sunglasses reduces the
> glare a little bit but it also affects visibility and therefore your
> ability to keep track of the ball.

I just can't stand looking into the bright sun. I'm not playing for
hundreds of thousands of dollars.

rw

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99

Tennis MC3 wrote:

> <<Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow down
> your reaction time a bit. Zvereva is one notable exception, and I think
> she just wears them because she wants to look cool.
>
> By the way, I nearly always wear sunglasses when I play tennis.>>
>

> Actually, Oakleys are really good. Their optics are excellent. Natasha wears
> them because she has bad eyes. She wears glasses indoors because it hinders her
> eyesite when she doesn't. I, personally, have to wear oakleys when i play in
> the sun. my eyes can't handle the bright lights anymore. also, i wear
> contacts.. so when it's windy... the glasses block anything that could get into
> my eye.

Yeah, same with me. Contacts and sunglasses.

Tennis MC3

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
<<Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow down
your reaction time a bit. Zvereva is one notable exception, and I think
she just wears them because she wants to look cool.

By the way, I nearly always wear sunglasses when I play tennis.>>

Actually, Oakleys are really good. Their optics are excellent. Natasha wears
them because she has bad eyes. She wears glasses indoors because it hinders her
eyesite when she doesn't. I, personally, have to wear oakleys when i play in
the sun. my eyes can't handle the bright lights anymore. also, i wear
contacts.. so when it's windy... the glasses block anything that could get into
my eye.

Michelle
delete nope to e-mail me

Natasha Zvereva Online (a tennis player fan page)
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Court/3137

dbarc...@my-deja.com

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
In article <377EA0AF...@earthlink.net>,

nospam...@earthlink.net wrote:

> Diane Wms wrote:
> >
> > Are sunglasses not allowed at Wimbledon?
>
> Yes.

Really? Is it a local dress code violation or somesuch?

> Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow
down
> your reaction time a bit.

Agreed. For the highest level you need every advantage of sight.

However, I've seen pictures of Drobny with a medium tint in his glasses
He was the '54 Wimbledon champ and runner-up twice.

Dan Barch
Lansing MI

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

rw

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99

dbarc...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <377EA0AF...@earthlink.net>,
> nospam...@earthlink.net wrote:
> >

> > Diane Wms wrote:
> > >
> > > Are sunglasses not allowed at Wimbledon?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Really? Is it a local dress code violation or somesuch?

Sorry. I meant yes, they are allowed.

Tennis MC3

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
<<Isn't she wearing Bolle ?

-Jason>>

No natasha wears oakleys.. check out www.oakley.com ... check out all the
athletes that wear oakleys.. including baseball players.. they have to track
hard balls also. oakleys are the best in terms of optics and precision for
sunglasses. bolle is endorsed by hingis.. but she never wears them.

Jason Ng

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
Isn't she wearing Bolle ?

-Jason

Tennis MC3 wrote:

> <<Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow down

> your reaction time a bit. Zvereva is one notable exception, and I think
> she just wears them because she wants to look cool.
>
> By the way, I nearly always wear sunglasses when I play tennis.>>
>
> Actually, Oakleys are really good. Their optics are excellent. Natasha wears
> them because she has bad eyes. She wears glasses indoors because it hinders her
> eyesite when she doesn't. I, personally, have to wear oakleys when i play in
> the sun. my eyes can't handle the bright lights anymore. also, i wear
> contacts.. so when it's windy... the glasses block anything that could get into
> my eye.

JimAli

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
How come there appears to be no mention of Natasha on the Oakley site?
She's not in the Athletes/tennis link?!

Alison
E-Mail Jim...@CableInet.co.uk

Tennis MC3 <tenn...@aol.comnope> wrote in message

> <<Isn't she wearing Bolle ?
>
> -Jason>>
>

> No natasha wears oakleys.. check out www.oakley.com ... check out all the
> athletes that wear oakleys.. including baseball players.. they have to
track
> hard balls also. oakleys are the best in terms of optics and precision for
> sunglasses. bolle is endorsed by hingis.. but she never wears them.

Tennis MC3

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
<<How come there appears to be no mention of Natasha on the Oakley site?
She's not in the Athletes/tennis link?!>>

ouch.. i just checked the site out.. she used to be a feature.. i dunno what
happened.

Geoff Schuler

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 21:26:14 -0600, rw wrote:

>Tennis MC3 wrote:
>>
>> <<Professional tennis players almost never wear sunglasses. They slow down
>> your reaction time a bit. Zvereva is one notable exception, and I think
>> she just wears them because she wants to look cool.
>>
>> By the way, I nearly always wear sunglasses when I play tennis.>>
>>
>> Actually, Oakleys are really good. Their optics are excellent. Natasha wears
>> them because she has bad eyes. She wears glasses indoors because it hinders her
>> eyesite when she doesn't. I, personally, have to wear oakleys when i play in
>> the sun. my eyes can't handle the bright lights anymore. also, i wear
>> contacts.. so when it's windy... the glasses block anything that could get into
>> my eye.
>

>Yeah, same with me. Contacts and sunglasses.

Me too! ŠAOL 1995.

Since the latest research has shown that long-term exposure to
Ultra-Violet radiation (UVA I think) is a major cause of cataracts in
the eye, *everybody* should wear sunglasses (or at least UV-blocking
clear lenses) whenever they are out in the sun.

Geoff Schuler
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Remove REMOVE. to send me e-mail.
Fight Spam! Join CAUBE
(Coalition Against Unsolicited Bulk Email)
http://www.caube.org.au/

Tennis MC3

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
<<
Meredith McGrath was one of the other players who usually wore
sunglasses, a shame too because she had such pretty eyes. She always
wore those cool wrap arounds too, wonder if she had an endorsement?>>

Yeah she did/does... Oakley

Synapse Man

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Just wondering....how effective are those green-lens Bolle shades? They
are supposed to be made specifically for tennis.