Sampras pays tribute to Fed

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 11:22:31 AMSep 24

*skriptis

Sep 24, 2022, 11:52:05 AMSep 24
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute

Sampras has been quite consistent in using "majors" instead of "slams" over the years.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 3:23:42 PMSep 24
*skriptis wrote:

> "Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> > https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute
>

> Sampras has been quite consistent in using "majors" instead of
> "slams" over the years.

I think it's more a USA thing. McEnroe also uses "majors" more often.

Pelle Svanslös

Sep 24, 2022, 4:19:30 PMSep 24
On 24.9.2022 18.22, Shakes wrote:
> https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute

Wow. Sampy looks older than his years. But ...

“I’ll just start from the very beginning, when I first played you. You
were 19-years-old, an up and coming player, people were talking about
you and we had a great battle on the Centre Court of Wimbledon and you
took me down, tough five-setter. I just remember walking off the court
feeling like I met my match, truly a special player”.

A great battle? Whisper always says Sampras sucked in that match. Didn't
have a win in two years, was washed out and had a miserable time with
Cowan. How could it have been a great battle?

Just curious.

--
"And off they went, from here to there,
The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 4:52:09 PMSep 24
Pelle Svanslös wrote:

> On 24.9.2022 18.22, Shakes wrote:
> > https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute
>
> Wow. Sampy looks older than his years.

Yes, that's what I thought too. Looks like he lost weight and that
makes him look older than his age.

> But ...
>
> “I’ll just start from the very beginning, when I first played you.
> You were 19-years-old, an up and coming player, people were talking
> about you and we had a great battle on the Centre Court of Wimbledon
> and you took me down, tough five-setter. I just remember walking off
> the court feeling like I met my match, truly a special player”.
>
> A great battle? Whisper always says Sampras sucked in that match.
> Didn't have a win in two years, was washed out and had a miserable
> time with Cowan. How could it have been a great battle?
>
> Just curious.

I always thought it was a well-played and close match. Sampras was down
in the dumps looking at the long-term arc of his performance curve but,
in that match, he did play as well as he could have at that point of
his career. That shot at BP in the 5th set where he went to Fed's BH
volley ... :(

*skriptis

Sep 24, 2022, 4:57:42 PMSep 24
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> Pelle Svanslös wrote:> On 24.9.2022 18.22, Shakes wrote:> > https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute> > Wow. Sampy looks older than his years. Yes, that's what I thought too. Looks like he lost weight and thatmakes him look older than his age.> But ...> > “I’ll just start from the very beginning, when I first played you.> You were 19-years-old, an up and coming player, people were talking> about you and we had a great battle on the Centre Court of Wimbledon> and you took me down, tough five-setter. I just remember walking off> the court feeling like I met my match, truly a special player”.> > A great battle? Whisper always says Sampras sucked in that match.> Didn't have a win in two years, was washed out and had a miserable> time with Cowan. How could it have been a great battle?> > Just curious.I always thought it was a well-played and close match. Sampras was downin the dumps looking at the long-term arc of his performance curve but,in that match, he did play as well as he could have at that point ofhis career. That shot at BP in the 5th set where he went to Fed's BHvolley ... :(

It was close scorewise but it wasn't Sampras at his best.

E.g. he hit hard but rather safe, didn't go for lines.

You want a comparison?

He played like Thiem vs Nadal in 2018 FO final.

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 5:55:48 PMSep 24
*skriptis wrote:

> "Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> > I always thought
> > it was a well-played and close match. Sampras was downin the dumps
> > looking at the long-term arc of his performance curve but,in that
> > match, he did play as well as he could have at that point ofhis
> > career. That shot at BP in the 5th set where he went to Fed's
> > BHvolley ... :(
>

> It was close scorewise but it wasn't Sampras at his best.

Sure, it wasn't vintage Sampras, but, at that point in his career, it
was as well as he could've played.

> E.g. he hit hard but rather safe, didn't go for lines.
>
> You want a comparison?
>
> He played like Thiem vs Nadal in 2018 FO final.

I don't remember a lot of the match, but I thought it was well played.
Sampras served a lot of aces, IIRC. That says a lot, esp. since Fed has
a very good ROS and is tough to ace. Sampras made some uncharacteristic
errors, but, overall, acquited himself well.

They were one match away from a rematch at the USO that year. :)

grif

Sep 24, 2022, 6:16:14 PMSep 24
I've never read or seen Pete make any excuses for that match. It was a very good match. Here's Pete talking about that encounter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKzK4aKGoI&t=2898s

I would have loved to have seen a rematch. I think Pete would have won that, but fucking Agassi had to spoil it.

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 6:46:59 PMSep 24
Good clip. Yes, apart from that brief episode with Rafter, Sampras was
all class in his behaviour on the the tennis court.

> I would have loved to have seen a rematch. I think Pete would have
> won that, but fucking Agassi had to spoil it.

I think so too. Too bad we will never know.

Court_1

Sep 24, 2022, 9:04:55 PMSep 24
The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 9:15:02 PMSep 24
Court_1 wrote:

> The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He
> probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!

LOL ! You sure have a strong dislike for him, huh ? Maybe if he had
shed a tear or two like Nadal, that would've impressed you a little
more.:D

BTW you should patent "Chimpras". That's quite funny, I must admit
(and, figuratively, accurate).

Court_1

Sep 24, 2022, 9:29:25 PMSep 24
No, I don't dislike him. I think Raja does. I just think he was awkward socially.

I actually think he was probably the best Wimbledon player ever. I think he may even be better than Federer at Wimbledon just because Federer lost too many finals to his rivals on "his turf" IMO.

Shakes

Sep 24, 2022, 9:42:49 PMSep 24
Court_1 wrote:

> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:15:02 PM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:
> >
> > LOL ! You sure have a strong dislike for him, huh ? Maybe if he had
> > shed a tear or two like Nadal, that would've impressed you a little
> > more.:D
> >
> > BTW you should patent "Chimpras". That's quite funny, I must admit
> > (and, figuratively, accurate).
>
> No, I don't dislike him. I think Raja does. I just think he was
> awkward socially.

He was a little odd, definitely. I remember once Agassi said something
like (and I paraphrase), "Nobody can be No.1 who looks like he just
swung in from a tree". I did get a laugh out of that one as that
description did fit Sampras. Chimpras actually plays into that
description as well.

Court_1

Sep 24, 2022, 11:08:57 PMSep 24
Yeah, I remember Agassi said that. It was in his book, wasn't it?

The Iceberg

Sep 25, 2022, 6:03:03 AMSep 25
On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 21:19:30 UTC+1, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> On 24.9.2022 18.22, Shakes wrote:
> > https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute
>
> Wow. Sampy looks older than his years. But ...
>
> “I’ll just start from the very beginning, when I first played you. You
> were 19-years-old, an up and coming player, people were talking about
> you and we had a great battle on the Centre Court of Wimbledon and you
> took me down, tough five-setter. I just remember walking off the court
> feeling like I met my match, truly a special player”.
>
> A great battle? Whisper always says Sampras sucked in that match. Didn't
> have a win in two years, was washed out and had a miserable time with
> Cowan. How could it have been a great battle?
>
> Just curious.

We should all listen when the Great Man Sampras speaks, but he didn't know why he was even playing that match.

The Iceberg

Sep 25, 2022, 6:06:17 AMSep 25
On Sunday, 25 September 2022 at 02:04:55 UTC+1, Court_1 wrote:
> The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!

FOUND THE AGASSI FAN!! he was lot more "marketable", yes!

The Iceberg

Sep 25, 2022, 6:07:29 AMSep 25
wouldn't Agassi be cancelled and banned from the ATP for saying that these days?

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 7:12:44 AMSep 25
On 25/09/2022 6:19 am, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> On 24.9.2022 18.22, Shakes wrote:
>> https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute
>
> Wow. Sampy looks older than his years. But ...
>
> “I’ll just start from the very beginning, when I first played you. You
> were 19-years-old, an up and coming player, people were talking about
> you and we had a great battle on the Centre Court of Wimbledon and you
> took me down, tough five-setter. I just remember walking off the court
> feeling like I met my match, truly a special player”.
>
> A great battle? Whisper always says Sampras sucked in that match. Didn't
> have a win in two years, was washed out and had a miserable time with
> Cowan. How could it have been a great battle?
>
> Just curious.

You're really curious?

Sampras isn't going to publicly belittle Federer at this point. You can
tell the way he said '....and you beat me' and raising his eyebrows in a
surprising way, not exactly a fluke but Pete will tell you that was far
from his best tennis.

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 7:16:38 AMSep 25
Sampras would have smoked Fed at USo that yr as payback. Too bad Fed
lost to Agassi 61 62 64.

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 7:20:25 AMSep 25
Pete doesn't make excuses because he knows no one gives a fuck about
excuses. He loved getting payback though, tough to beat when he had
extra incentive to win a match.

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 7:31:28 AMSep 25
Yes, and I would have love to see the '99 Wimbledon version of Sampras
(also the physically peak '95 version) v Fed/Djoker/Nadal at Wimbledon -
tennis wouldn't get better than that - and yes Sampras would prevail
with his tailor made grass game : )

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 7:32:14 AMSep 25
Agassi looks like a monkey no?

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 7:42:43 AMSep 25
Correct.

The big 3 have it easy feeding off each other, Sampras was too good his
whole career and had to self motivate. His rivals were intangibles -
history, future - not there in real time.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 25, 2022, 9:43:56 AMSep 25
On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 11:22:31 AM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:
> https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-retirement-sampras-tribute

Nice and classy, but it's sad he isn't taking care of himself and his look.
He looks like someone in their eighties.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 25, 2022, 9:46:50 AMSep 25
whatever makes you feel great :)

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 9:59:25 AMSep 25
Looks like a homeless bum.

He's the opposite of Federer - couldn't care less about his looks or
what others think about him.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 25, 2022, 10:00:10 AMSep 25
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:r
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:15:02 PM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:> Court_1 wrote: > > > The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He > > probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!> LOL ! You sure have a strong dislike for him, huh ? Maybe if he had > shed a tear or two like Nadal, that would've impressed you a little > more.:D > > BTW you should patent "Chimpras". That's quite funny, I must admit > (and, figuratively, accurate).No, I don't dislike him. I think Raja does. I just think he was awkward socially.I actually think he was probably the best Wimbledon player ever. I think he may even be better than Federer at Wimbledon just because Federer lost too many finals to his rivals on "his turf" IMO.

How many slams total did Sampras' rivals win? Who were they?

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 10:01:53 AMSep 25
On 26/09/2022 12:00 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:r
>> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:15:02 PM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:> Court_1 wrote: > > > The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He > > probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!> LOL ! You sure have a strong dislike for him, huh ? Maybe if he had > shed a tear or two like Nadal, that would've impressed you a little > more.:D > > BTW you should patent "Chimpras". That's quite funny, I must admit > (and, figuratively, accurate).No, I don't dislike him. I think Raja does. I just think he was awkward socially.I actually think he was probably the best Wimbledon player ever. I think he may even be better than Federer at Wimbledon just because Federer lost too many finals to his rivals on "his turf" IMO.
>
> How many slams total did Sampras' rivals win? Who were they?

Sampras stopped them. Roger was 3rd best in his era, couldn't win
enough to be the best. Facts.

The Iceberg

Sep 25, 2022, 10:04:36 AMSep 25
yes if anyone ever invents a time machine they should schedule that match cos when Sampras gave them all a good beating we wouldn't get so many of these silly CEIBS questions!

PeteWasLucky

Sep 25, 2022, 10:36:32 AMSep 25
If sampras stopped them, then logic says we should see this in a huge slams count for sampras, but this isn't the case, which tells us your statement isn't true.

guypers

Sep 25, 2022, 11:08:38 AMSep 25
Yes, behind Laver and Borg, sixth in the list, not bad for a cheap Greek

PeteWasLucky

Sep 25, 2022, 11:19:22 AMSep 25
PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 10:01:53 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:> On 26/09/2022 12:00 am, PeteWasLucky wrote: > > Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:r > >> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:15:02 PM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:> Court_1 wrote: > > > The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He > > probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!> LOL ! You sure have a strong dislike for him, huh ? Maybe if he had > shed a tear or two like Nadal, that would've impressed you a little > more.:D > > BTW you should patent "Chimpras". That's quite funny, I must admit > (and, figuratively, accurate).No, I don't dislike him. I think Raja does. I just think he was awkward socially.I actually think he was probably the best Wimbledon player ever. I think he may even be better than Federer at Wimbledon just because Federer lost too many finals to his rivals on "his turf" IMO. > > > > How many slams total did Sampras' rivals win? Who were they?> Sampras stopped them. Roger was 3rd best in his era, couldn't win > enough to be the best. Facts.If sampras stopped them, then logic says we should see this in a huge slams count for sampras, but this isn't the case, which tells us your statement isn't true.

From 1991 to 2002, 12 years = 48 slams.
Sampras won 14, and others won 34 slams. Not much stopping others as you claim.
Now if we talk about strong rivals, we should see 2-3 more players with huge slams count, we have Agassi with 8 and Rafter with 2, Hewitt that you make fun on with 2, Safin got 1 in this time.

Compare this to Federer, having Nadal, djokovic and Murray, you should get the point if you are serious.

Court_1

Sep 25, 2022, 3:30:56 PMSep 25
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 10:00:10 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Court_1 Wrote in message:r
> > On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:15:02 PM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:> Court_1 wrote: > > > The dullard, Chimpras comes out of hiding to say a few words! He > > probably had to read a teleprompter to get those few sentences out!> LOL ! You sure have a strong dislike for him, huh ? Maybe if he had > shed a tear or two like Nadal, that would've impressed you a little > more.:D > > BTW you should patent "Chimpras". That's quite funny, I must admit > (and, figuratively, accurate).No, I don't dislike him. I think Raja does. I just think he was awkward socially.I actually think he was probably the best Wimbledon player ever. I think he may even be better than Federer at Wimbledon just because Federer lost too many finals to his rivals on "his turf" IMO.
>
> How many slams total did Sampras' rivals win? Who were they?

Sampras had plenty of good players around throughout his career and he beat plenty of great players at Wimbledon(Goran, Becker, Agassi, etc.) In the end, all that matters is that he never lost a Wimbledon final and Federer lost four to his biggest rivals.

For the 2008 W final vs Nadal, Federer was in his prime. For the three losses vs Djokovic, Federer was strong enough to get to the finals and outplay Djokovic in some of them so the age excuse is preposterous. You can't be THE goat and lose to your rivals so much in important matches on your own turf.

But it's ok. For me, Federer was the most talented and enjoyable player to watch. I don't have the same desire to watch tennis now that he's gone. However, unlike Whisper who lives to berate Federer or you who idolizes Federer, I can be fairly impartial. It's enough for me that he was "one of" the greatest players ever. He doesn't have to be the the greatest at everything and he isn't. That's very clear. It's all good.

Court_1

Sep 25, 2022, 3:42:08 PMSep 25
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 10:01:53 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
> On 26/09/2022 12:00 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > Court_1 Wrote in message:r
It's true. He had a five year head start over Nadal and Djokovic so there was plenty of time for him to leap ahead of Djokodal. No excuses. He wasn't able to do it and that's ok.

For me, he's probably second greatest in terms of achievements(in terms of artistry/talent he's the greatest for me.) I know Nadal has two more slams but I feel, Federer is greater on hc and grass than Nadal is. Their records prove that. Also, Federer has more weeks at number one than Nadal and is second only to Djokovic in that regard. In addition, Federer finally figured out how to beat Nadal in the past decade and Nadal hasn't been able to win a match vs Federer in that time. So, Federer rectified his poor start vs Nadal in some ways. That 2008 W loss to Nadal will always reflect poorly on Federer though as prime Federer should have been able to stop the then clay monkey.

If the slam race stays the way it is now and Djokodal don't win any more, the greatest debate will forever go on and you'll never have agreement about who the goat is.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 25, 2022, 3:52:21 PMSep 25
This is plain vanilla logic. The discussion is about great rivals and whisper said there was no great rivals because sampras stopped them. If Sampras stopped them he would have won more than 14 slams out of the 40 during his peak career years. He didn't have any other greats in his peak years other than Agassi with 8 slams.
This indicates that the other 18 slams were won by many other players that were never as great as Rafa and Novak.
So the assumption that Sampras would have beaten Federer, Rafa and djokovic is a silly one.
Players adjust to each other and I have no doubts Sampras and the top 3 would have adjusted to each other as well.

So these kind of statements don't help sampras legacy and are stupid.

*skriptis

Sep 25, 2022, 4:03:11 PMSep 25
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> If the slam race stays the way it is now and Djokodal don't win any more, the greatest debate will forever go on and you'll never have agreement about who the goat is.

237 consecutive weeks at #1 is very impressive too.

Major No1 records:

Most ATP/ITF awards
• Djokovic, 14 awards in 8 seasons

Most consecutive ATP/ITF awards
• Sampras 6 years

Most weeks at #1
• Djokovic, 373

Most consecutive weeks at #1
• Federer, 237

Most ATP points ever
• Djokovic, 16,950 (max 21,500) ~ 78,8%

*skriptis

Sep 25, 2022, 4:04:52 PMSep 25
*skriptis <skri...@post.t-com.hr> Wrote in message:r
> Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:> If the slam race stays the way it is now and Djokodal don't win any more, the greatest debate will forever go on and you'll never have agreement about who the goat is.237 consecutive weeks at #1 is very impressive too.Major No1 records:Most ATP/ITF awards• Djokovic, 14 awards in 8 seasonsMost consecutive ATP/ITF awards• Sampras 6 yearsMost weeks at #1• Djokovic, 373Most consecutive weeks at #1• Federer, 237Most ATP points ever• Djokovic, 16,950 (max 21,500) ~ 78,8%--

Alcaraz has 6,740 (out of max 21,500) ~ 31.3%

Court_1

Sep 25, 2022, 4:10:04 PMSep 25
Sampras won 14 slams, six more than the next greatest player in his generation, Agassi. Sampras was considered the GOAT when he retired. Nobody(including Sampras) thought Federer would catch up so quickly. Sampras did what he was supposed to do and be better than all of his opponents. He never let anybody beat him in finals on his own turf(Wimbledon.)

As for how Sampras would have done vs Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, we'll never know. I'm pretty sure he would have held his own but it's pointless to argue about something like that. For me, Federer is the greater and more talented player over Sampras. I just think Federer should have done better at protecting his Wimbledon numbers.

RaspingDrive

Sep 25, 2022, 6:09:37 PMSep 25
That 2008 loss to the then clay specialist Nadal sticks out like a sore thumb. With a win there, Federer would have had 7 consecutive Wimbledon titles and what ever happened after that wouldn't have affected his legacy (31 years in 2012). So, yes, Federer loses a lot there. On the other hand, even with that loss, if he had won the 2019 edition, things, arguably, would have been fine. Nine Wimbledons, with three wins over Nadal (one loss) and two wins over Djokovic (2 losses). Huge huge loss, that 2019. One ace. Hmmm.....

Court_1

Sep 25, 2022, 7:42:09 PMSep 25
I agree with you but that's life. Who would guess years ago that Federer would be the one to end his career due to injuries and not Nadal? In the meantime, what Federer with his artisry and presence did for tennis and fans is immeasurable really. He did for the sport what 100 other good players combined could never do.

You can't always have everything. Djokovic may finish ahead in all numbers but he's clearly not beloved and never will be the way Federer and Nadal are. It all evens out and makes them unique. Fans have to accept that each of them as great as they are do have their individual shortcomings. That's why the goat debate is endless.

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 4:04:03 AMSep 26
obviously you're totally wrong, but you're also forgetting the surfaces were all very different back then, unlike now, where they purposely slowed down Wimbledon in 2001 and lied about it.

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 4:04:48 AMSep 26
On Sunday, 25 September 2022 at 21:03:11 UTC+1, *skriptis wrote:
> Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> > If the slam race stays the way it is now and Djokodal don't win any more, the greatest debate will forever go on and you'll never have agreement about who the goat is.
> 237 consecutive weeks at #1 is very impressive too.
>

> Major No1 records:
>

> Most ATP/ITF awards
> • Djokovic, 14 awards in 8 seasons
>
> Most consecutive ATP/ITF awards
> • Sampras 6 years
>
> Most weeks at #1
> • Djokovic, 373
>
> Most consecutive weeks at #1
> • Federer, 237
>
> Most ATP points ever
> • Djokovic, 16,950 (max 21,500) ~ 78,8%

the true record is most consecutive #1 end of years - 6 by Sampras.

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 4:09:10 AMSep 26
yes agree with both, very good points. It really amazing that after 15 years of being told Nadal would have to retire cos of injuries cos of his game, it's Fed that's had to do that :( another element about popularity is that Djoker is always chasing Nadal/Fed.

Whisper

Sep 26, 2022, 9:57:02 AMSep 26
Sampras retired 10 yrs earlier than Federer yet their Wim/USO record is
only 1 title difference. Sampras made more USO finals than Federer, has
more yr-end No.1 etc. When you look how old and how long the big 3 have
played then Sampras' slam count is in the same league if not better.

Federer also had an incredible head start on Rafa/Djoker, won 80% of his
slams before the guys matured out of teens. If they came up at the same
time Fed would prob have a lot less slams.

Whisper

Sep 26, 2022, 9:59:17 AMSep 26
Doesn't Fed have a losing h2h against all of them?

Whisper

Sep 26, 2022, 10:20:05 AMSep 26
Yep, lots of similarity between Fed and Serena - super long careers, big
numbers, just not quite goat stuff.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 26, 2022, 10:22:25 AMSep 26
You are avoiding my question.
Sampras didn't have rivals except Agassi. He didn't stop others as you said to become his rivals as you suggested because he won 14 out of 40 slams in ten years and the rest went to Agassi (8) and many many other average players.
He didn't have champions like Nadal and djokovic to stop him.
When you win 14 out of 40, and Agassi wins 8, and the rest is won by non-dominating players, it tells us it was less competitive era.

Whisper

Sep 26, 2022, 10:31:22 AMSep 26
That's just wishful thinking on your part. Your arguments are weak and
easily demolished;

Federer won 20 of 81 slams = 24.69&

Sampras won 14 of 52 slams = 26.92%

So at his win rate if he played 81 slams like Federer he would have won
22 slams.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 26, 2022, 10:31:46 AMSep 26