One player to win it for us

kipps

Sep 30, 2011, 10:22:43 AM9/30/11
If you had to pick one player to represent this planet to play the
Martians who would you pick?
Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal?

felangey

Sep 30, 2011, 10:26:51 AM9/30/11
>Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal?

Murray.

Sakari Lund

Sep 30, 2011, 10:29:29 AM9/30/11
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:22:43 -0700 (PDT), kipps <kri.p...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>If you had to pick one player to represent this planet to play the
>Martians who would you pick?
>Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal?

It depends a lot on the surface. And they might have some interesting
surfaces in Mars.

Joe Ramirez

Sep 30, 2011, 10:29:03 AM9/30/11
On red clay?

Whisper

Sep 30, 2011, 10:36:51 AM9/30/11
Taking the pure tennis skill, mental toughness etc I'd have to pick
Laver. Probably Hoad if he was up for nomination.

Whisper

Sep 30, 2011, 10:42:06 AM9/30/11
Ignore surfaces, equipment etc. I look for combination of overall
skills, & guts to win every point & never give up. Sure all these guys
have this in varying measure, but tough to go past Laver/Hoad at peak.

SliceAndDice

Sep 30, 2011, 10:39:06 AM9/30/11
"Real" red clay or Madrid red clay? ;)

Scott

Sep 30, 2011, 10:50:37 AM9/30/11
On Sep 30, 10:22 am, kipps <kri.par...@gmail.com> wrote:
you have to assume the Martians are going to use high-tech strings and
snowshoes, turning the splendor that used to be traditional tennis
into a mindless, RPM contest with no intrinsic visual appeal
whatsoever.

Nadal can play them. Only Martians would find it interesting to
watch.

grif

Sep 30, 2011, 11:42:17 AM9/30/11

"kipps" <kri.p...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If you had to pick one player to represent this planet to play the
> Martians who would you pick?
> Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal?

On the martian clay, clearly go for someone who has superb moonballing
skills.

TennisGuy

Sep 30, 2011, 11:46:40 AM9/30/11
On Sep 30, 11:42 am, "grif" <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "kipps" <kri.par...@gmail.com> wrote in message
What's Mars got to do with Venus?

Joe Ramirez

Sep 30, 2011, 10:59:31 AM9/30/11
Olympus Mons red clay!

Patrick Kehoe

Sep 30, 2011, 12:08:59 PM9/30/11
Neil Armstrong and 'Buzz' Aldrin for doubles!

:)))))

reilloc

Sep 30, 2011, 12:38:00 PM9/30/11
The Borg would prevail. Resistance would be futile.

LNC

drew

Sep 30, 2011, 12:41:48 PM9/30/11
On Sep 30, 10:22 am, kipps <kri.par...@gmail.com> wrote:
What are the stakes?

If I'm looking for somebody to represent the planet earth, it would
have to be Edberg. That's not to
say he's going to win....Nadal might be better to win for planet Earth
but I don't want the Martians to
think that earthlings all pick their bums and engage in odd tic-like
behaviors. So I'd say Edberg or
Federer.

drew

Sep 30, 2011, 12:42:13 PM9/30/11
On Sep 30, 10:26 am, "felangey" <th...@thisplace.invalid> wrote:
> >Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal?
>
> Murray.

You want them to fear us because they think we're crazy?

drew

Sep 30, 2011, 12:43:16 PM9/30/11
On Sep 30, 10:26 am, "felangey" <th...@thisplace.invalid> wrote:
> >Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer, Nadal?
>
> Murray.

I'd send them Murray because I think he'd like it there and they might
get a kick out of watching him get all deranged during a match.

felangey

Sep 30, 2011, 1:39:04 PM9/30/11
>You want them to fear us because they think we're crazy?

Well obviously Fed would have the best chance of winning against the widest
universe of opposition.....but Murray is the only one who has any experience
of playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders. ;)

Sakari Lund

Sep 30, 2011, 3:16:59 PM9/30/11
Damn you Brits still have your illusions. He only has the expectations
of one small island on his shoulders :-)

Patrick Kehoe

Sep 30, 2011, 3:36:27 PM9/30/11
Well... as the Bard said in Richard II:

This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in a silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
This nurse, this teeming womb of royal kings,
Feared by their breed and famous by their birth...

:)))))

Thomas R. Kettler

Sep 30, 2011, 4:14:05 PM9/30/11
In article
<e9af4849-62b6-4917...@v9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
No, he's arguing that sending Murray would make them decide that Earth
wouldn't be worth invading since if Murray is the best we could do,
what's the point?
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Joe Ramirez

Sep 30, 2011, 4:59:51 PM9/30/11
I'm sure this wonderful soliloquy is engraved on a plaque on the wall
of every home in Scotland. :)

Patrick Kehoe

Sep 30, 2011, 8:27:02 PM9/30/11

Good one Joe...

ca1houn

Oct 1, 2011, 3:02:25 PM10/1/11
what about mac

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 2, 2011, 12:18:46 AM10/2/11
Funny how Pancho always thought that Laver was a great instinctive
player, just not that bright on the court... Laver's solution to being
in trouble, according to Pancho, was to just hit it harder... :))