Hingis injured

Wendy Grossman

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Saw a news report just now that Hingis has injured her knee in falling off
a horse and will miss her next two or three tournaments. The plot
thickens...

Seriously, this I think is a real crunch moment for Hingis. People are
always saying that one of the things that keeps her normal is that she
does engage in other activities outside of tennis -- horseback riding
being one of the most often mentioned. So now: if she falls off a horse
and hurts herself there are real consequences in ranking points and
dollars. It will be really interesting to see if she's allowed/allows
herself to go on doing these things or whether she decides to put them
aside until after her pro tennis career.

I remember reading that Seles was, before the stabbing, always too
conscious of the possibility of getting injured to try many things. And
that Navratilova was criticized for taking up skiing, on just those
grounds.

wg

Shun Cheung

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97
to Wendy Grossman

Wendy, that is pretty nasty, and I almost fell for this one.

It reminds me Maureen Connolly, who swept The Grand Slam in 1953 but
ended her tennis career in 1954 in a horse-back riding accident
(Connally's horse was hit by a truck). I guess anything can happen.

I wonder whether Wendy's article will remind Steve Barnard about Mo
Connolly or not. :-)

-- Shun Cheung New Jersey, USA sh...@worldnet.att.net (908) 615-5135

Chris Smith's Tennis FAQ-http://www.mindspring.com/~csmith
1997 GS--AO:Jan 13-26 FO:May 26-Jun 8 W:Jun 23-Jul 6 USO:Aug 25-Sep 7

Donal Fagan

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

In article <335DED...@worldnet.attDOTnet>, sh...@worldnet.attDOTnet says...

>I wonder whether Wendy's article will remind Steve Barnard about Mo
>Connolly or not. :-)

Weren't they an item, once?

Donal Fagan

Craig Harvey Appelbaum

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

: It reminds me Maureen Connolly, who swept The Grand Slam in 1953 but

: ended her tennis career in 1954 in a horse-back riding accident
: (Connally's horse was hit by a truck). I guess anything can happen.

In the movie on her life "little mo" they made is seem as if part of the
truck nearly sliced her calf in half :-0 and that she didn't simply fall
off...don't know though

hingis is just lucky her injury wasn't more serious, like christopher reeves

Shun Cheung

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Shun Cheung wrote:

> > Saw a news report just now that Hingis has injured her knee in falling off
> > a horse and will miss her next two or three tournaments. The plot
> > thickens...
> >
> > Seriously, this I think is a real crunch moment for Hingis. People are
> > always saying that one of the things that keeps her normal is that she
> > does engage in other activities outside of tennis -- horseback riding
> > being one of the most often mentioned. So now: if she falls off a horse
> > and hurts herself there are real consequences in ranking points and
> > dollars. It will be really interesting to see if she's allowed/allows
> > herself to go on doing these things or whether she decides to put them
> > aside until after her pro tennis career.
> >
> > I remember reading that Seles was, before the stabbing, always too
> > conscious of the possibility of getting injured to try many things. And
> > that Navratilova was criticized for taking up skiing, on just those
> > grounds.
>
> Wendy, that is pretty nasty, and I almost fell for this one.
>

> It reminds me Maureen Connolly, who swept The Grand Slam in 1953 but
> ended her tennis career in 1954 in a horse-back riding accident
> (Connally's horse was hit by a truck). I guess anything can happen.
>

> I wonder whether Wendy's article will remind Steve Barnard about Mo
> Connolly or not. :-)
>

> -- Shun Cheung New Jersey, USA sh...@worldnet.att.net (908) 615-5135

Oops, somehow I managed to mis-read Wendy's article and didn't quite catch up
with the latest news on the web. I thought Wendy was just talking about a
hypothetical situation, so I followed up with a smiley in the subject. It
turns out that Hingis is indeed injured in a riding accident. This is really
bad luck for Hingis.

Sorry about that. Hopefully Hingis will recover soon.

-- Shun Cheung

P:Ott

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Shun Cheung wrote:
<snip>

> Oops, somehow I managed to mis-read Wendy's article and didn't quite catch up
> with the latest news on the web. I thought Wendy was just talking about a
> hypothetical situation, so I followed up with a smiley in the subject. It
> turns out that Hingis is indeed injured in a riding accident. This is really
> bad luck for Hingis.
>
> Sorry about that. Hopefully Hingis will recover soon.
>
> -- Shun Cheung

According to a local (Swiss) daily newspaper it happended on Monday.
Hingis went for a mountain tour, after that to the tennis court and then
for the ride where the accident happened. It was only on Tuesday when
she couldnt stretch the left knee any more and went for medical
examination. It was reported that a ligament ("Kreuzband" = ligamentum
cruciforme either anterior or posterior; sorry I dont know the proper
english word) is partially torn and she had to undego arthroscopic
surgery. In my view this might be pretty serious condition but it
depends of course on the size of the damage. For the moment she will be
out for the tournaments in Hamburg, Rome and Berlin. Let's hope for a
full recovery.

Peter Ott

Steve Barnard

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Donal Fagan wrote:

> In article <335DED...@worldnet.attDOTnet>, sh...@worldnet.attDOTnet says...
>
> >I wonder whether Wendy's article will remind Steve Barnard about Mo
> >Connolly or not. :-)
>
> Weren't they an item, once?
>
> Donal Fagan

Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.

Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.

Steve Barnard

HEsco51385

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

>Shun Cheung wrote:
>
>> > Saw a news report just now that Hingis has injured her knee in
falling
>off
>> > a horse and will miss her next two or three tournaments. The plot
>> > thickens...
>> >
>> > Seriously, this I think is a real crunch moment for Hingis. People
are
>> > always saying that one of the things that keeps her normal is that
she
>> > does engage in other activities outside of tennis -- horseback riding
>> > being one of the most often mentioned. So now: if she falls off a
horse
>> > and hurts herself there are real consequences in ranking points and
>> > dollars. It will be really interesting to see if she's
allowed/allows
>> > herself to go on doing these things or whether she decides to put
them
>> > aside until after her pro tennis career.

It was bound to happen,I though that after the fall Martina took on the
horse "Magic Girl" at the Australian Open she would have learn her lesson.
The in-line skating that she does is also a very dangerous pastime. Try
telling this to a 16 year old ;-)
Graf hurt her hand several years ago at a Sky resort trying to run from
photographers. Lets hope that Martina learns this time to postpone the
horseback riding to after retirement. She is lucky that it is not a major
injury and do not require surgery, lets hope for a fast recovery, tennis
needs Martina, we don't need more injured players, please.
Hernando

Jeff K.

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

P:Ott <comp...@bluewin.ch>

(snip)

It was reported that a ligament ("Kreuzband" = ligamentum
> cruciforme either anterior or posterior; sorry I dont know the proper
> english word) is partially torn and she had to undego arthroscopic
> surgery. In my view this might be pretty serious condition but it
> depends of course on the size of the damage. For the moment she will be
> out for the tournaments in Hamburg, Rome and Berlin. Let's hope for a
> full recovery.

The oddest thing I found about this is that it seems to be similar to
Graf's injury, or at least it's an injury to a ligament in the knee, which
is what Graf is suffering from, I believe. Graf has been sidelined for
months it seems because of this knee thing, and I certainly hope a similar
fate will not befall Hingis. Let's pray for a quick recovery for Hingis
and also Graf.
Jeff

> Peter Ott

Ed Dybdal

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

With all these injuries maybe ASV actually has another chance to become
#1.

Edward M. Reading

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Oh, that was a good one!

Edward Reading

Edward M. Reading

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Predrag Rakic wrote:

> P:Ott wrote:
> >
> > Shun Cheung wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Oops, somehow I managed to mis-read Wendy's article and didn't quite catch up
> > > with the latest news on the web. I thought Wendy was just talking about a
> > > hypothetical situation, so I followed up with a smiley in the subject. It
> > > turns out that Hingis is indeed injured in a riding accident. This is really
> > > bad luck for Hingis.
> > >
> > > Sorry about that. Hopefully Hingis will recover soon.
> > >
> > > -- Shun Cheung
> >
> > According to a local (Swiss) daily newspaper it happended on Monday.
> > Hingis went for a mountain tour, after that to the tennis court and then
> > for the ride where the accident happened. It was only on Tuesday when
> > she couldnt stretch the left knee any more and went for medical
> > examination. It was reported that a ligament ("Kreuzband" = ligamentum

> > cruciforme either anterior or posterior; sorry I dont know the proper
> > english word) is partially torn and she had to undego arthroscopic
> > surgery. In my view this might be pretty serious condition but it
> > depends of course on the size of the damage. For the moment she will be
> > out for the tournaments in Hamburg, Rome and Berlin. Let's hope for a
> > full recovery.
> >
> > Peter Ott
>
> Can she sue the Horse?
>
> Regards, Predrag

No, it didn't happen in the US.

Edward Reading

Nemanja Dundjerovic

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

HEsco51385 <hesco...@aol.com> wrote in article

She is lucky that it is not a major
> injury and do not require surgery, lets hope for a fast recovery, tennis
> needs Martina, we don't need more injured players, please.
> Hernando

Unfortunately Hingis will require surgery, according to the nando tennis
server. Her participation in the French Open is uncertain at best.

Jeff K.

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Ed Dybdal <ed...@earthlink.net>
(snip)

> With all these injuries maybe ASV actually has another chance to become
> #1.

Weird! This is the first thought that came to my mind when I heard about
what happened to Hingis. Being an ardent fan of Ms. Sanchez-Vicario, I
can't help but hope that she'll take advantage of the situation and get her
game together in time for the French. Who knows, she might win it for the
third time....
Jeff

Shun Cheung

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Isn't it amusing that as soon as Hingis is having some injury but its
extend is still unclear, some Seles fans and ASV fans immediately think
that their favorite players will take advantage of the situation.
How quickly have people forgotten that ASV lost to Van Roost in the 3R
at the AO and has been losing to all sorts of lower-ranked players
in these days, and Seles lost to Novotna at the FO and Stundenikova
at Wimbledon last year.

Seles and ASV's problem is that they themselves have been playing
poorly;
their main problem is NOT Hingis; that is especially true for ASV.
In fact, had Seles and ASV been in good form, Hingis probably wouldn't
have enjoyed her easy ride so far in 1997. Therefore, as Wendy pointed
out initially, if Hingis is out and Graf is out or extremely rusty, the
French Open could be wide open for the women also. The problem is that
with the really good players out, we could end up watching a bunch of
mediocre matches even in the latter rounds.

-- Shun Cheung New Jersey, USA sh...@worldnet.att.net (908) 615-5135

Chris Smith's Tennis FAQ-http://www.mindspring.com/~csmith

Marsha Strong

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

On 24 Apr 1997 04:55:39 GMT, "Jeff K." <dd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Ed Dybdal <ed...@earthlink.net>
>(snip)
>>
>> With all these injuries maybe ASV actually has another chance to become
>> #1.
>>

>Weird! This is the first thought that came to my mind when I heard about
>what happened to Hingis. Being an ardent fan of Ms. Sanchez-Vicario, I
>can't help but hope that she'll take advantage of the situation and get her
>game together in time for the French. Who knows, she might win it for the
>third time....
>Jeff

Jeff -- How can you be an ardent fan of Aranchita'a and not know how
to spell her name corrsectly? Sorry, but this is one of my *pettier*
pet peeves! The "Sanchez" part is the paternal link; the "Vicario"
part is materal lineage -- LIKE EVERY OTHER Hispanic unmarried female!
NO hyphen -- why would there be?

OK, now that mu little snit fit is over, let me say that I share your
hopes that Arantxa can make the most of this opportunity -- she said
the French was her goal and all of her training regime is geared
toward peaking at tht time. BTW, her training is more extensive than
it has ever been in her career -- she is working with Michelle
(something Spanish), who runs around after Arantxa making her check
her pulse rate all the time -- it's very funny to watch -- and she is
on a horribly strict diet (which is why she lost the ten pounds and
actually looked a liitle "pinched" to me -- but then I come from a
background where "Eat! Eat! Mange!" was the family mantra!)

marsha

Predrag Rakic

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

voor...@interport.net

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Steve Barnard wrote:

> Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.
>
> Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
> vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.

Steve, I'm 40 and I vividly recall Billie Jean King. Sure you don't
remember
back any farther?

Mark

dar

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

st...@megafauna.com wrote:

> Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
> vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.

Still carrying a torch for Rosie Casals?

dar

-------------------------
Will play tennis for food.
-------------------------

AK

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

In article 78...@interport.net, "voor...@interport.net" <voor...@interport.net> () writes:

>Steve Barnard wrote:
>>
>> Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.
>>
>> Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
>> vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.
>

>Steve, I'm 40 and I vividly recall Billie Jean King. Sure you don't
>remember
>back any farther?
>
>Mark

I wonder if we will have any of the "HIngis has Steffiitis " or
"Hingis is scared of Graf" posts.:-P

AK
---
Arun Krishnan
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of South CArolina
ph #: 803-777-6750

Home: 1035, Comanchee Trail
App # B-1,
West Columbia,
SC-29169.

Hmmm... I have nothing profound to add here like so many of my comrades seem to have.:-)

Donal Fagan

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

In article <dgosset-2404...@medadm72.medadm.emory.edu>,
dgo...@emory.edu says...

>st...@megafauna.com wrote:

>> Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
>> vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.
>

>Still carrying a torch for Rosie Casals?

I'll take Virginia Ruzici.

Donal Fagan

Marsha Strong

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:12:16 -0700, "Edward M. Reading"
<read...@mail.oit.osshe.edu> wrote:

>> With all these injuries maybe ASV actually has another chance to become
>> #1.
>

>Oh, that was a good one!
>
>Edward Reading

All right MISTER Reading, and just what does that crack mean? Do you
know how close you are to being on the (infamous-by-now?) "No
Postcard, One Year" list! Or depending on your reply, even the "No
Postcard, TWO Year" List? If I were you, I would weigh the words I
used to make my reply *veeeeery carefully!*

marsha "ever-vigilant tothe smallest slight against aranchita" strong

Donal Fagan

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

In article <335EA9...@megafauna.com>, st...@megafauna.com says...

>Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.
>

>Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
>vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.

Give you a *break*? This is r.s.t. Why, I'm just two posts away from invoking
the Potato Famine :-)

Donal Fagan

Timothy Bartlett

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

: Shun Cheung wrote:
: <snip>
: >
: > Oops, somehow I managed to mis-read Wendy's article and didn't quite catch up
: > with the latest news on the web. I thought Wendy was just talking about a
: > hypothetical situation, so I followed up with a smiley in the subject. It
: > turns out that Hingis is indeed injured in a riding accident. This is really
: > bad luck for Hingis.
: >
: > Sorry about that. Hopefully Hingis will recover soon.
: >
: > -- Shun Cheung

Incredibly bad taste, Shun. You Seles fans are all the same!

Tim

Steve Barnard

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Donal Fagan wrote:

> In article <dgosset-2404...@medadm72.medadm.emory.edu>,
> dgo...@emory.edu says...
> >
> >st...@megafauna.com wrote:
>
> >> Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
> >> vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.
> >
> >Still carrying a torch for Rosie Casals?
>
> I'll take Virginia Ruzici.

Bettina Bunge was the ultimate fox of yesteryear's women's tennis. She
actually posted something here some time ago. Maybe she's still
lurking. Are you out there, Bettina?

Steve Barnard

Edward M. Reading

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Somehow I knew that this was coming. Sorry marsha, but ASV's retriever
style just doesn't turn my crank. But, I have to admit that I really
admire her tenacity and persistance. I hate to ruffle your feathers,
but I really can't see her as #1 again.

Edward "I guess ya better put me on the list" Reading

Sanj

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

This is what I found in http://my.yahoo.com:
Sanj

Wednesday April 23 5:30 PM EDT

Hingis has slight tear of knee ligament from fall

(updates with diagnosis after arthroscopy, changes dateline)

STAMFORD, Conn. (Reuter) - World No. 1 Martina Hingis suffered a slight tear of a
knee ligament in a horse riding accident Monday and will miss at least
two tournaments, the WTA Tour announced Wednesday.

The 16-year-old Hingis, youngest player ever to hold the top ranking, has withdrawn
from the Hamburg event due to begin next Monday and will also miss
the Italian Open in Rome the following week.

The Swiss sensation hopes to return to action for the German Open in Berlin the week
of May 12.

``I am very disappointed that I will have to miss these next two weeks,'' Hingis
said from her home in Trubbach, Switzerland, according to the WTA Tour
statement.

``I was feeling great and was looking forward to returning to the Tour. However, I
am also very grateful that there was no major damage to my knee.''

Hingis injured her left knee in a fall from a horse near her home on Monday.

She continued riding after her fall but Tuesday morning awoke with some discomfort
and swelling and went to a sports medicine specialist at a private clinic
in Schrunz, Austria, the tour statement said.

An arthroscopy was performed on her knee, revealing a slight tear of the posterior
cruciate ligament. Hingis plans to begin rehabilitating her knee Monday,
April 28.

Hingis, according to the tour's statement, added that she fully expects to continue
horseback riding as soon as possible.

A keen horsewoman, Hingis escaped injury earlier this year when she landed on soft
grass after falling from a horse on the eve of her quarterfinal match in the
Australian Open. She went on to win the tournament.

--
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone.

Steve Barnard

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Donal Fagan wrote:

> In article <335EA9...@megafauna.com>, st...@megafauna.com says...
>
> >Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.
> >
> >Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
> >vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.
>
> Give you a *break*? This is r.s.t. Why, I'm just two posts away from invoking
> the Potato Famine :-)

The Potatoe Famine (Dan-Quayle spelling). Wasn't that a plot by the
British aristocracy to seize the Irish lands? I suspect Kershaw's
ancestors were behind it.

Steve Barnard

Steve Barnard

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

voor...@interport.net wrote:

> Steve Barnard wrote:
> >
> > Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.
> >
> > Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
> > vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.
>
> Steve, I'm 40 and I vividly recall Billie Jean King. Sure you don't
> remember
> back any farther?
>
> Mark

Well, maybe Margaret Court just a bit. I didn't get interested in
tennis until I was in my 20s.

Steve Barnard

Edward M. Reading

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Marsha Strong wrote:

<snip>
> Well, since you were halfway nice abour this. I'm making a new list
> just for you "No Postcards, Six Months!" But mind your p's and q's;
> I'm still watching you -- you can easily get "demoted"! :)
>
> marsha

Sheesh, now I have ttv *and* you gunning for me! :)

Ed

Marsha Strong

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 02:46:22 -0700, "Edward M. Reading"
<read...@mail.oit.osshe.edu> wrote:

Well, since you were halfway nice abour this. I'm making a new list

Gopal Natarajan

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Knee injuries are hard to gauge. A few years ago, Tomas Enqvist had
arthroscopic surgery on both his knees in the space of six or eight months and
Richard Krajicek has knee surgery every other week and both are currently in the
top ten. I don't think Martina's injury is serious. According to either USA
Today or CBS Sportsline, Hingis got up and laughed after the fall and didn't
realize her knee was injured until the next day. This will test how stong her
motivation to get back into the game is.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||---Sir Psycho Saxy---||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||Gopal Natarajan phone: (404) 206-1412 ||
||334713 Georgia Tech Station Major: Chemical Engineering ||
||Atlanta, Ga. 30332-1580 e-mail: gt4...@prism.gatech.edu ||
|| ||

SEGBrown

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

P:Ott <comp...@bluewin.ch>

(snip)

It was reported that a ligament ("Kreuzband" = ligamentum
> cruciforme either anterior or posterior; sorry I dont know the proper
> english word) is partially torn and she had to undego arthroscopic
> surgery. In my view this might be pretty serious condition but it
> depends of course on the size of the damage. For the moment she will be
> out for the tournaments in Hamburg, Rome and Berlin. Let's hope for a
> full recovery.

>>The oddest thing I found about this is that it seems to be similar to

>>Graf's injury, or at least it's an injury to a ligament in the knee,
which
>>is what Graf is suffering from, I believe.

My understanding is that it's a partially torn posterior cruciate, not the
anterior (which WOULD be bad news). Graf's injury is different; it's a
tendon, not a ligament. Torn ACLs are devastating, but the posterior is
not such a big deal.

Rik Rohling

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

On 24 Apr 1997 13:50:23 GMT, kris...@drk.controls (AK) wrote:

>>Steve Barnard wrote:
>>>
>>> Little Mo and I were real tight, once upon a time.
>>>
>>> Come on. Give me a break. I'm only 50. The oldest female player I can
>>> vividly recall is Billie Jean King, and she's not my type.
>>

>>Steve, I'm 40 and I vividly recall Billie Jean King. Sure you don't
>>remember
>>back any farther?
>>
>>Mark
>

>I wonder if we will have any of the "HIngis has Steffiitis " or
>"Hingis is scared of Graf" posts.:-P
>
>AK

Please don't give anybody any ideas. Hingis is as scared of Graf as
Graf is of her. They respect each other, but they certainly are not
scared of each other. I think that if anybody's scared of another
player, he/she wouldn't get that high in the rankings. Respect, yes.
Scared, no.

Steve Barnard

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Marsha,

I've never received a postcard from you.

I think Aranchita is the most talented player, male or female, who has
ever lived. She'll no doubt seize the number 1 spot again, as she
richly deserves, but no one will give her credit because Hingis and Graf
are injured and Seles lacks desire. Alas, the Philistines are jealous
of Aranchita's immense talent.

Looking for that postcard,
Steve Barnard

Edward M. Reading

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Suck-up

Yuka Tada

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

I was afraid that something would happen to Hingis. Because, she has been
too much good condition very suddenly in this year. I remember she was
around #15 at this time last year. When she won Austrarian Open, she said
"it is too easy to me." She took World No.1 easily too. Graf and Seles both
were absent with injury. I had a feeling that her hard time would come
soon. Ability is most important at the sports world, but it is not decide
everything. Sometimes channce and fortune hold the key to win. Injury,
illness and some accidents may happen on every players. Never only one
person keep her very good fortune. Too much good luck, rather bad luvk.
"Shadow usually accompany light." "Happy events tend to be be accompanied
by problem." "Good and ill fortune come interwoven like strands of same
rope." This injury is her first trial for Hingis. I hope her get well soon.
I want to watch she face Graf at the finals!

Antonio Carrasco Sevilla

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

In article <336126eb...@news.emmen.bart.nl>, rroh...@noord.bart.nl
says...
Hingis´ the best, no doubt about it.
car...@hotmail.com

Irwin Pui-Yin Choy

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

wi...@neptuno.ciberteca.es (Antonio Carrasco Sevilla) wrote:

>Hingis´ the best, no doubt about it.
>car...@hotmail.com

I doubt it.
Irwin Pui-Yin Choy
e-mail: pyc...@unity.ncsu.edu, pyc...@usa.net
Master of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management program
North Carolina State University

Marsha Strong

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:29:15 -0700, "Edward M. Reading"
<read...@mail.oit.osshe.edu> wrote:

ONLY because you never sent me your snail mail addy, you lame-o!
Several people fron r.s.t. did and, unless they were on the infamous
NO POSTCARD lists, were justly rewarded with a postcard from either
Key Biscayne or Amelia Island. (tell him Blair, Samir, Kevin, Cathryn,
Patrick, Sker, Annette, Marie, Faiz, and whoever else I'm forgetting)
Several other people, like Irwin, told me they did not see my initial
post, but are on the list now, however.

But do not be in despair, all. I will be making one more WTA loop in
1997 -- namely San Diego/LA/Totonto -- any one wanting postcards for
any of stops (even you , Barnard), send me your snail addys please.

And Steve, in my heart I know that *every single word* your wrote
above was totally sincere and your honest, true feelings -- right??
.....ummmm right, Steve? STEVE????

marsha "yup, they are laughing here now, oh yes" strong

Steve Barnard

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

Marsha Strong wrote:

> >Steve Barnard wrote:

> >> Marsha,
> >>
> >> I've never received a postcard from you.
> >>
> >> I think Aranchita is the most talented player, male or female, who has
> >> ever lived. She'll no doubt seize the number 1 spot again, as she
> >> richly deserves, but no one will give her credit because Hingis and Graf
> >> are injured and Seles lacks desire. Alas, the Philistines are jealous
> >> of Aranchita's immense talent.
> >>
> >> Looking for that postcard,
> >> Steve Barnard

[snip]

> And Steve, in my heart I know that *every single word* your wrote
> above was totally sincere and your honest, true feelings -- right??
> .....ummmm right, Steve? STEVE????

Marsha, why do you doubt my sincerity? I'm hurt! I think Aranchita's
just been a little unlucky lately.

Steve Barnard

hesp...@smart.net

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

In rec.sport.tennis Yuka Tada <ste...@da.mbn.or.jp> wrote:
: "Shadow usually accompany light." "Happy events tend to be be accompanied

: by problem." "Good and ill fortune come interwoven like strands of same
: rope."

"A rolling stone gathers no moss."?

: This injury is her first trial for Hingis. I hope her get well soon.

Yeah me too, Yuka! I also hope that she's more careful in the future.

: I want to watch she face Graf at the finals!

Well I want to watch she face Seles, but I know what you mean.

#%^>

Bright Blessings,

Hesperos
--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
* She was delighted in Her heart and placed longing in their breasts, *

Jochen Heistermann

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

Gopal Natarajan (gt4...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
:
: Today or CBS Sportsline, Hingis got up and laughed after the fall and didn't

: realize her knee was injured until the next day. This will test how stong her
: motivation to get back into the game is.
:
:
It comes to my mind that Hingis always shows a smile. So it is no big deal
to see her smiling when falling down from a horse. Question: did
anyone see Hingis NOT smiling at some occasion?

Jochen

J. Kim

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

Yes, I recall a certian time when she pouted for a set and a half. It was
in the '97 Lipton semi's...

phil oconnor

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

Jochen Heistermann wrote:
>It comes to my mind that Hingis always shows a smile. So it is no big deal
> to see her smiling when falling down from a horse. Question: did
> anyone see Hingis NOT smiling at some occasion?
>
> Jochen
>
> --
Never! Her face is a ray of sunshine that is a joy to watch endure
through a display of excellent tennis competition. Perhaps that's the
REAL reason immature people on here bitch about her so much. The
individual's that bad mouth her are obviously so full of hate, spite,
and ill will, that maybe its here complacency that irritates them.. ;-)

Phil

David Hoye

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

phil oconnor (ocon...@cis.ohio-state.edu) writes:
> Her face is a ray of sunshine [...]

That glare is less of a problem now that those braces have been removed.

--
Mike "I'm gonna catch hell for this, I know it" Hoye

phil oconnor

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

Ha! Good one! :)

Marsha Strong

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

On 15 May 1997 11:13:32 GMT, heis...@eiche.zfe.siemens.de (Jochen
Heistermann) wrote:

>Gopal Natarajan (gt4...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
>:
>: Today or CBS Sportsline, Hingis got up and laughed after the fall and didn't
>: realize her knee was injured until the next day. This will test how stong her
>: motivation to get back into the game is.
>:
>:

>It comes to my mind that Hingis always shows a smile. So it is no big deal
>to see her smiling when falling down from a horse. Question: did
>anyone see Hingis NOT smiling at some occasion?

I recall many times of "non-smiles" -- including racquets bouncing off
the court and, I believe, even a fine for one such incident.