Doha WTA 1000

TT

Feb 14, 2024, 1:05:02 PMFeb 14
Draw:
https://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/draws/2024/1003/MDS.pdf

Leylah hitting the ball well. Beat relatively strong trio of Samsonova,
Badosa and Zheng (#7)...

Here's my favourite shot from her today:
https://youtu.be/X7C-OusHM3Q?t=122

...I like the action on that dtl off forehand, ball curving away from
opponent with venom!

-

Next up quarters & world #4, Elena Rybakina. I think the journey will
end there. Leylah may be timing the ball well but Rybakina is hitting it
super cleanly, scary good. Like Davenport but better.. and serving bombs
as well.

Someone claimed her the best server at WTA...
https://youtu.be/qkboPMY5kRA?si=t9NiSw1JIV16_wm_

Rybakina comes from Abu Dhabi, which she won. Looks to me better player
than Sabalenka & Gauff... although has slight losing h2h against both.
Rybakina is 3-1 against Swiatek.

Never faced Leylah before this, so there's that. Never know... maybe
Leftie Leylah can throw her off with variety & stuff. But that serve is
a handful.

TT

Feb 14, 2024, 2:16:29 PMFeb 14
Bettors have it 80% for Rybakina.

TT

Feb 15, 2024, 12:23:35 PMFeb 15
Rybakina won 6-4, 6-2. Leylah was leading the first set 4-1 but the
opponent was just too damn good & powerful. Forced Leylah to go for too
much. Not sure if another tactic than trying to redline it would have
helped. It's a miracle if Rybakina doesn't win more slams if she
continues playing anything like this...

Highlights:
https://youtu.be/o9vTtXw5BSQ?si=CeNdFmSW_k7bcfLe

Hope "Lena" meets The Cleaning Lady in the final.

I guess a good lesson for Leylah, on something. Off to Dubai next week.

Gracchus

Feb 15, 2024, 12:55:59 PMFeb 15
Leylah made a valiant effort today but ultimately got out-muscled once the fembot librarian hit her stride. When she's hitting the ball cleanly and serving well, it's something to behold. I'm sure Court 1 has Rybsy in the "boring and unwatchable" category because she doesn't emit banshee-shrieks, trash-talk her opponents, or urge the crowd to love her more. Another "sourpuss" maybe? ;)

Yeah, I think she'll win more slams. Good chances for another Wimbledon if she carries her present form into the summer and avoids injuries.

> Hope "Lena" meets The Cleaning Lady in the final.

Yep, that would be a good one.

TT

Feb 15, 2024, 1:59:05 PMFeb 15
"Fembot librarian" :)

Yep, she's all business from what I've seen. No crazy stuff. Seems
pretty likeable.

Courtsie probably hasn't seen her play like this, at least I had not...
made me a bit of a fan.

Babyfaced baby.

TT

Feb 16, 2024, 11:26:30 AMFeb 16
Cleaning Lady vs Fembot Librarian in tomorrow's final.
Interesting...

https://www.wtatennis.com/head-to-head/326408/324166

Gracchus

Feb 16, 2024, 12:10:54 PMFeb 16
Ah yes, battle of "unwatchables," lol. I'm neutral on this one since I like them both. Have to figure the stakes are higher for Iga considering the h2h.

I only saw highlights of Rybsy vs. Pavlychenkova, but she looks impressive with the combo of power, touch, and even decent speed around the court. Interesting how she's nearly Pliskova's height but moves so much better.

Anyway, I hope tomorrow's match lives up to what it *could* be.

TT

Feb 16, 2024, 4:05:50 PMFeb 16
It's basically #1 vs #2... at least if we go by rolling 52 week match
wins; Swiatek 87%, Rybakina 80%... (Sabalenka 79%, Gauff 78%)

Swiatek leads on pretty much all 52 week stats, except Rybakina
unsurprisingly better at 1st serves won, aces & TBs won.

Statistically it appears that Ryba's largest relative weakness is her
1st serve return.

TT

Feb 16, 2024, 4:22:20 PMFeb 16
Betfair thinks that Swiatek will win with 66% odds. I wouldn't bet on it
with 1.5x return...

Gracchus

Feb 16, 2024, 6:21:18 PMFeb 16
Yeah. I do think Iga has a slight edge due to better match-to-match consistency. But that edge can easily evaporate if Rybsy serves well and keeps Iga on the defensive, which she's shown she's capable of doing.

It should be a good test for both of them.

Scall5

Feb 16, 2024, 7:01:49 PMFeb 16
On 2/16/2024 11:10 AM, Gracchus wrote:

> Ah yes, battle of "unwatchables," lol. I'm neutral on this one since I like them both.

I them both too.
--
---------------
Scall5

Whisper

Feb 17, 2024, 4:22:56 AMFeb 17
Rybakina beat Swiatek all 3 times they played last year, including on clay.

Whisper

Feb 17, 2024, 4:24:35 AMFeb 17
On 17/02/2024 11:01 am, Scall5 wrote:
> On 2/16/2024 11:10 AM, Gracchus wrote:
>
>> Ah yes, battle of "unwatchables," lol. I'm neutral on this one since I
>> like them both.
>
> I them both too.

May the better bot win.

TT

Feb 17, 2024, 7:31:36 AMFeb 17
Yes, although that 2023 Rome match doesn't really count since Swiatek
got injured... apparently during 2nd set TB. I think Swiatek would have
been the favourite for 3rd set. Rybakina then went on to win the Rome
title.

Rybakina did beat Swiatek at 2023 AO and pretty much slaughtered her at
Indian Wells, which is their last HC match...

https://youtu.be/czOA0nJxmZs?si=8DJRC05d4ipA7_bf

Whisper

Feb 17, 2024, 9:11:22 AMFeb 17
Rybakina also beat Serena at FO.

TT

Feb 17, 2024, 12:36:33 PMFeb 17
Not so good today...

Scrappy match, quite windy... Ryba made lots of UEs, Swiatek was clearly
nervous and there for the taking. Maybe both were.

Have you noticed that Swiatek looks a bit like Sylvester Stallone?

-

Dubai draw:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGiIunRXYAAYgw2?format=jpg&name=large

Gracchus

Feb 17, 2024, 2:39:46 PMFeb 17
On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 9:36:33 AM UTC-8, TT wrote:
> TT kirjoitti 17.2.2024 klo 14.31:
> > Whisper kirjoitti 17.2.2024 klo 11.22:

> >> Rybakina beat Swiatek all 3 times they played last year, including on
> >> clay.
> >
> > Yes, although that 2023 Rome match doesn't really count since Swiatek
> > got injured... apparently during 2nd set TB. I think Swiatek would have
> > been the favourite for 3rd set. Rybakina then went on to win the Rome
> > title.
> >
> > Rybakina did beat Swiatek at 2023 AO and pretty much slaughtered her at
> > Indian Wells, which is their last HC match...
> >
> > https://youtu.be/czOA0nJxmZs?si=8DJRC05d4ipA7_bf
> >

> Not so good today...
>
> Scrappy match, quite windy... Ryba made lots of UEs, Swiatek was clearly
> nervous and there for the taking. Maybe both were.

Wind, nerves, or whatever, they were hardly ever playing well at the same time despite some good points here and there. Rybakina's serve was off and she kept getting fooled at net by Iga's down-the-line backhand pass. Iga flubbed some volleys as well. Plus the annoying commentators kept trying to inject drama where it didn't exist. Just a sloppy, disappointing match overall.

TT

Feb 17, 2024, 3:01:19 PMFeb 17
Did you hear that she also faced Raducanu just before Emma's Calendar
Slam campaign?
https://youtu.be/CKy7XRKAEXo?si=Dj8bVKMZPddOj12c

Two all-time greats going at it toe to toe. A sight to behold.

TT

Feb 17, 2024, 3:08:27 PMFeb 17
Yep. Unfortunately so.

What cheered me up most were funny looking Polish fans and the American
commentator calling her ry-BAY-kina.

Whisper

Feb 18, 2024, 1:31:20 AMFeb 18
How about Emma thrashing the goat 64 60 the same year;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHDrJmRV54Y

Whisper

Feb 18, 2024, 1:35:01 AMFeb 18
Do you think Pliskova withdraw v Iga due to ptsd from this match?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzOX7WOyVM

TT

Feb 18, 2024, 3:03:12 PMFeb 18
Whisper kirjoitti 18.2.2024 klo 8.34:
> On 18/02/2024 5:31 pm, Whisper wrote:

>>> Did you hear that she also faced Raducanu just before Emma's Calendar
>>> Slam campaign?
>>> https://youtu.be/CKy7XRKAEXo?si=Dj8bVKMZPddOj12c
>>>
>>> Two all-time greats going at it toe to toe. A sight to behold.
>>

>> How about Emma thrashing the goat 64 60 the same year;
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHDrJmRV54Y

Hippo.

> Do you think Pliskova withdraw v Iga due to ptsd from this match?'
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzOX7WOyVM

Maybe. This was 2nd time Pliskova gave a walkover to Swiatek after this
match. Out of four matches. Giraffes have a long memory.

Off to Dubai...

Leylah has kinda tough draw... First Bernarda Pera & Paolini, which she
has beaten previously... but on 3rd rd Sakkari and again in quarters
Rybakina, which she has not...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGh-ITYWEAArxPU?format=jpg&name=large

TT

Feb 19, 2024, 2:32:29 PMFeb 19
TT kirjoitti 18.2.2024 klo 22.03:
> Whisper kirjoitti 18.2.2024 klo 8.34:

>>> How about Emma thrashing the goat 64 60 the same year;
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHDrJmRV54Y
>>>

> Hippo.
>
>> Do you think Pliskova withdraw v Iga due to ptsd from this match?'
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzOX7WOyVM
>>

> Maybe. This was 2nd time Pliskova gave a walkover to Swiatek after this
> match. Out of four matches. Giraffes have a long memory.

P.S. You'll be happy to learn that Pliskova has made a miracle recovery,
winning her match today in straights.

Meanwhile Leylah beat Pera today in straights. Lost a doubles match as a
bonus, with Kalashnikova. She'll face pesky little Paolini tomorrow and
on rd 3 either Sakkari or Emma Navarro.

Rybakina will start her campaign at rd 2 by facing Azarenka. This
surface looks imo quite fast, so maybe Ryba can win the title this week.

TT

Feb 20, 2024, 4:14:35 AMFeb 20
TT kirjoitti 19.2.2024 klo 21.32:
> TT kirjoitti 18.2.2024 klo 22.03:
>> Whisper kirjoitti 18.2.2024 klo 8.34:

>> Hippo.
>>
>>> Do you think Pliskova withdraw v Iga due to ptsd from this match?'
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzOX7WOyVM
>>>

>> Maybe. This was 2nd time Pliskova gave a walkover to Swiatek after
>> this match. Out of four matches. Giraffes have a long memory.
>>

> P.S. You'll be happy to learn that Pliskova has made a miracle recovery,
> winning her match today in straights.
>
> Meanwhile Leylah beat Pera today in straights. Lost a doubles match as a
> bonus, with Kalashnikova. She'll face pesky little Paolini tomorrow and
> on rd 3 either Sakkari or Emma Navarro.

Paolini won. Poor play from Leylah, good fight from Paolini...
Bleh.