Watch "Fakovic on Roger Federer's retirement | Eurosport Tennis" on YouTube

PeteWasLucky

Sep 22, 2022, 7:41:30 PM9/22/22

Whisper

Sep 23, 2022, 4:30:07 AM9/23/22
On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQ

Very classy comments from Novak.

Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in
retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 7:31:49 AM9/23/22
Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
> On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQVery classy comments from Novak.Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.

He lost more to Nadal and in earlier stages when hewas a lot more expected to win. So it's not bitter losses that hurt imo, it's his racism and arrogance towards the Serb.

Don't care really, but it's how it is.

Federer would never tell Rafa's parents to shut up and not cheer for their son. He had no problems abusing and insulting Novak's.

You can never be friends with such a scum after that.

It's been a long time ago, and both of them are professionals, they respect each other, but I doubt Federer has become a better person.

Maybe he apologised in private, and Novak accepted it, but papa Djokovic won't forget it. The insult was public and so the apology should have been public as well.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 9:22:21 AM9/23/22
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:31:49 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
> Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
> > On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQVery classy comments from Novak.Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.
>

> He lost more to Nadal and in earlier stages when hewas a lot more expected to win. So it's not bitter losses that hurt imo, it's his racism and arrogance towards the Serb.
>
> Don't care really, but it's how it is.
>
> Federer would never tell Rafa's parents to shut up and not cheer for their son. He had no problems abusing and insulting Novak's.

Rafa's parents are classy, big difference really.

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 9:41:51 AM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Rafa's parents are classy, big difference really.

I've seen them cheering for their son many times, same as Novak's parents have done when Federer abused them.

Last time I've checked you're allowed to cheer in between the points and clap for your son's good points.

In that incident, Novak hit a good shot, a winner in fact, Federer couldn't get it, but the umpire called it out. An obvious mistake that could easily be rectified on clay by inspecting the mark.

It was in front of Novak's parents and they yelled "it was in". Rather instinctive reaction by the fans, don't you agree?

The point was all over, they didn't disturb anyone, fan reaction is nothing unheard of, nor was it directed at Federer.

So what's your issue with them there?

Federer scum tells them to "be quiet", and wipes the mark off, conceding the point, which really isn't such an act of fair play when done on clay. The umpire would have done the same as well. So the fair play in that regard doesn't matter here nor does it excuse him from abusing Novak's parents.

Any ideas why should they "be quiet"?

Because primadona can't take it if someone is not cheering for him?

https://youtu.be/N4fB5Tp-FGU

Sawfish

Sep 23, 2022, 9:42:18 AM9/23/22
The only parent whose image sticks with me is Murray's mom, brooding
silently in the stands, doing an impersonation of one of the three
witches from Macbeth.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. But give a man a boat,
a case of beer, and a few sticks of dynamite..." -- Sawfish

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 10:11:20 AM9/23/22
Parents sitting in player corner aren't fans, you know this.
Have you seen this happening from any other parents or just djok parents?
I am not allowed to say anything when I watch my son playing tennis match in high school as a parent.
There are rules and protocols, acting outside them are either considered breaking the rules and/or lack of class.

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 9:41:51 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:> PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:> > Rafa's parents are classy, big difference really.> I've seen them cheering for their son many times, same as Novak's parents have done when Federer abused them. > > Last time I've checked you're allowed to cheer in between the points and clap for your son's good points. > > > > In that incident, Novak hit a good shot, a winner in fact, Federer couldn't get it, but the umpire called it out. An obvious mistake that could easily be rectified on clay by inspecting the mark. > > > It was in front of Novak's parents and they yelled "it was in". Rather instinctive reaction by the fans, don't you agree? > > The point was all over, they didn't disturb anyone, fan reaction is nothing unheard of, nor was it directed at Federer. > > So what's your issue with them there? > > Federer scum tells them to "be quiet", and wipes the mark off, conceding the point, which really isn't such an act of fair play when done on clay. The umpire would have done the same as well. So the fair play in that regard doesn't matter here nor does it excuse him from abusing Novak's parents. > > > Any ideas why should they "be quiet"? > > Because primadona can't take it if someone is not cheering for him? > > > https://youtu.be/N4fB5Tp-FGU> -- > > > > > ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- > https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.htmlParents sitting in player corner aren't fans, you know this.Have you seen this happening from any other parents or just djok parents?I am not allowed to say anything when I watch my son playing tennis match in high school as a parent.There are rules and protocols, acting outside them are either considered breaking the rules and/or lack of class.

The point was over.

changj...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2022, 10:27:45 AM9/23/22
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:31:49 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
> Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
> > On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQVery classy comments from Novak.Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.
>

> So it's not bitter losses that hurt imo, it's his racism and arrogance towards the Serb.

Though a speculation, "arrogance towards Djok" has been my observation. If Karma exists, 2019 final was the highest point that Fed paid back Djok in his never changing attitude to Djok since the first US open loss to Djok claiming that he was a gambler. At the same time 2019, Djok also ruined happiness of entire western audience, it's a guy who was growing under bombs...............
I believe that with Fed's retirement and being home so long, he has reflected the journey and he realized the mistakes, and he is sincere now and friendly to Djok.

grif

Sep 23, 2022, 11:26:58 AM9/23/22
On 23/09/2022 09:29, Whisper wrote:
> On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
>> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQ
>

> Very classy comments from Novak.

I noticed Chris Clarey's "The Master" in one of the bookshops when I was in town. I didn't buy it, but I sat down for a bit and read some extracts. IIRC, some notable points from the sections I read:

The author found Novak to be the most fascinating of the Big 3. In fact, he gives a fair and compelling portrayal of Djokovic(*), which is interesting considering the book is mainly about Federer. Safin too, is given a positive account.

Federer mentions that when he played Djok, he wasn't handicapped as he was playing against Nadal's left handed topsin to his bh. So against Novak, it was strength against strength. BUT, he felt handcuffed against Nole because the serb hit so hard and so deep.

(*) I've always been reminded of Miss Havisham whenever I think of Jelena Gencic's early influence on Novak, but more for good than evil. Then again, Miss Havisham raised Estella to break men's hearts. Maybe Gencic raised Nole to break Fedfans' hearts 🙂

Whisper

Sep 23, 2022, 11:27:41 AM9/23/22
A big part of why Fed and Rafa are 'friends' is because of all the fake
sucking up Rafa does to Fed eg 'Roger is best ever and I have no chance
no?'. Djoker didn't stoop to that BS level.

Whisper

Sep 23, 2022, 11:31:38 AM9/23/22
On 23/09/2022 11:22 pm, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:31:49 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
>> Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
>>> On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQVery classy comments from Novak.Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.
>>

>> He lost more to Nadal and in earlier stages when hewas a lot more expected to win. So it's not bitter losses that hurt imo, it's his racism and arrogance towards the Serb.
>>
>> Don't care really, but it's how it is.
>>
>> Federer would never tell Rafa's parents to shut up and not cheer for their son. He had no problems abusing and insulting Novak's.
>
> Rafa's parents are classy, big difference really.

Sampras' parents were the classiest as nobody ever saw or heard from
them. That's real class.

Whisper

Sep 23, 2022, 11:37:17 AM9/23/22
On 23/09/2022 11:41 pm, *skriptis wrote:
> PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>> Rafa's parents are classy, big difference really.
>

> I've seen them cheering for their son many times, same as Novak's parents have done when Federer abused them.
>
> Last time I've checked you're allowed to cheer in between the points and clap for your son's good points.

The only time anyone ever saw Sampras' parents was in the 2000 Wimbledon
final, and they were hiding from the cameras so you only got a brief
glimpse if you were lucky. They were not applauding anyone. That's class.

I kinda liked Seles' dad too - he was always smiling and applauding
opponent's shots. Seemed very genuine and didn't take tennis that
seriously.

Whisper

Sep 23, 2022, 11:41:57 AM9/23/22
Novak has always been more interesting than Fed/Rafa, who let's face it
are a bit like Edberg, very dull and predictable in their comments.

The only fault I have with him is his irrational fear of covid vaccines.
So dumb and I'll never understand it.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 12:23:00 PM9/23/22
Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
> On 23/09/2022 11:22 pm, PeteWasLucky wrote:> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:31:49 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:>> Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r>>> On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:> https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQVery classy comments from Novak.Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.>>>>>>>> He lost more to Nadal and in earlier stages when hewas a lot more expected to win. So it's not bitter losses that hurt imo, it's his racism and arrogance towards the Serb.>>>> Don't care really, but it's how it is.>>>> Federer would never tell Rafa's parents to shut up and not cheer for their son. He had no problems abusing and insulting Novak's.> > Rafa's parents are classy, big difference really.> >>Sampras' parents were the classiest as nobody ever saw or heard from them. That's real class.

They acted well too.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 2:38:24 PM9/23/22
I agree with you on this that parents sitting in the player's box are
not typical fans. However, I am sure your son doesn't shout "Shut Up"
to his opponent's parents when they cheer him (the opponent) between
points. He's more classy than that ? :)

Between the three of them, I would say Nadal is the classiest. Fed is
quite a Prima Donna while Djok carries a certain grudge/anger against
the tennis world, and has a chip on his shoulder.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 2:39:51 PM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky wrote:

> Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r

>> Sampras' parents were the classiest as nobody ever saw or heard from
>> them.
> > That's real class.
>
> They acted well too.

Which movie ? :)

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 2:41:17 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Between the three of them, I would say Nadal is the classiest. Fed isquite a Prima Donna while Djok carries a certain grudge/anger againstthe tennis world, and has a chip on his shoulder.

I think you've got it right.

However is Toni classy?

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jun/01/rafael-nadal-soderling-french-open-crowd

Rafael Nadal’s uncle calls French crowd ‘stupid’ after shock defeat

• Fans appeared to support Sweden's Robin Soderling
• 'French don't like it when a Spaniard wins'

Mon 1 Jun 2009 23.09 BST

;)

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 2:49:53 PM9/23/22
*skriptis wrote:

> "Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> > Between the three of them, I would say Nadal is the classiest. Fed
> > isquite a Prima Donna while Djok carries a certain grudge/anger
> > againstthe tennis world, and has a chip on his shoulder.
>

> I think you've got it right.
>

> However is Toni classy?

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jun/01/rafael-nadal-soderling-french-open-crowd

> Rafael Nadal’s uncle calls French crowd ‘stupid’ after shock defeat
>
> • Fans appeared to support Sweden's Robin Soderling
> • 'French don't like it when a Spaniard wins'
>
> Mon 1 Jun 2009 23.09 BST
>

> ;)

I still think Toni is okay for the most part. That could be a one-off
and not a pattern.

Most importantly, both Rafael and Toni are classy towards Fed (like
Whisper said) and that seems to be very important for a large part of
the tennis community.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 2:53:15 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> PeteWasLucky wrote:> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 9:41:51 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:> > Parents sitting in player corner aren't fans, you know this.> Have you seen this happening from any other parents or just djok> parents? I am not allowed to say anything when I watch my son> playing tennis match in high school as a parent. There are rules and> protocols, acting outside them are either considered breaking the> rules and/or lack of class.I agree with you on this that parents sitting in the player's box arenot typical fans. However, I am sure your son doesn't shout "Shut Up"to his opponent's parents when they cheer him (the opponent) betweenpoints. He's more classy than that ? :)Between the three of them, I would say Nadal is the classiest. Fed isquite a Prima Donna while Djok carries a certain grudge/anger againstthe tennis world, and has a chip on his shoulder.

Who shouted "shut up"?

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 2:53:48 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> PeteWasLucky wrote:> Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r>> Sampras' parents were the classiest as nobody ever saw or heard from>> them.> > That's real class.> > They acted well too.Which movie ? :)

Oh Ray :)

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 3:02:32 PM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Who shouted "shut up"?

Be quiet = shut up

Transgression was in the fact he addressed them, while they never addressed him.

Telling them to "be quiet" in a such patronising, humiliating way in front of the world is the same as if he told them to shut up.

Kyrgios told Wawrinka "Kokk banged your girlfriend". Is it so much better since he didn't say "fuck"?

Hardly makes a difference.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 3:13:14 PM9/23/22
*skriptis <skri...@post.t-com.hr> Wrote in message:r
> PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:> Who shouted "shut up"?Be quiet = shut up Transgression was in the fact he addressed them, while they never addressed him.Telling them to "be quiet" in a such patronising, humiliating way in front of the world is the same as if he told them to shut up.Kyrgios told Wawrinka "Kokk banged your girlfriend". Is it so much better since he didn't say "fuck"?Hardly makes a difference.-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

Be quiet = Be quiet

It's very normal to ask them to be quiet when they are sitting too close to the court and shouting lines' calls loudly.

Their behavior resulted in this response and I am sure this was the last time they acted this way.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 3:33:33 PM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky wrote:

> *skriptis <skri...@post.t-com.hr> Wrote in message:r
> > PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:> Who
> > shouted "shut up"?Be quiet = shut up Transgression was in the fact
> > he addressed them, while they never addressed him.Telling them to
> > "be quiet" in a such patronising, humiliating way in front of the
> > world is the same as if he told them to shut up.Kyrgios told
> > Wawrinka "Kokk banged your girlfriend". Is it so much better since
> > he didn't say "fuck"?Hardly makes a difference.-- ----Android
> > NewsGroup

Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

> Be quiet = Be quiet
>
> It's very normal to ask them to be quiet when they are sitting too
> close to the court and shouting lines' calls loudly.

It's very normal for the umpire to call out, not the player. Fed
calling out to Djok's parents, whether they deserved it or not, is
definitely not normal.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 3:34:48 PM9/23/22
Yes, he didn't. I got it wrong as I didn't remember the exact words
used.

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 3:51:12 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> PeteWasLucky wrote:> *skriptis <skri...@post.t-com.hr> Wrote in message:r> > PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:> Who> > shouted "shut up"?Be quiet = shut up Transgression was in the fact> > he addressed them, while they never addressed him.Telling them to> > "be quiet" in a such patronising, humiliating way in front of the> > world is the same as if he told them to shut up.Kyrgios told> > Wawrinka "Kokk banged your girlfriend". Is it so much better since> > he didn't say "fuck"?Hardly makes a difference.-- ----Android> > NewsGroup> >Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html> > Be quiet = Be quiet> > It's very normal to ask them to be quiet when they are sitting too> close to the court and shouting lines' calls loudly.It's very normal for the umpire to call out, not the player. Fedcalling out to Djok's parents, whether they deserved it or not, isdefinitely not normal.

It's not normal for parents or coaches sitting close to the opponent player and the court shouting lines' calls and I have no issue when any player act this way in the same situation. I would have done the same, nothing requires me to keep watching and listening to them acting this way while I am playing.

guypers

Sep 23, 2022, 4:00:45 PM9/23/22
Agree totally, not even in hi school

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 4:14:36 PM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> It's not normal for parents or coaches sitting close to the opponent player and the court shouting lines' calls and I have no issue when any player act this way in the same situation. I would have done the same, nothing requires me to keep watching and listening to them acting this way while I am playing.

You're not playing, the point was over.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 5:07:33 PM9/23/22
PeteWasLucky wrote:

> "Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> > It's very normal for the umpire to call out,
> > not the player. Fedcalling out to Djok's parents, whether they
> > deserved it or not, isdefinitely not normal.
>
> It's not normal for parents or coaches sitting close to the opponent
> player and the court shouting lines' calls and I have no issue when
> any player act this way in the same situation. I would have done the
> same, nothing requires me to keep watching and listening to them
> acting this way while I am playing.

If you think that way, it's fine. I am positive that if it had been
Nadal or any other player in Fed's position, they wouldn't have reacted
the same way. In this particular instance, it was not during the rally.
The rally was over.

My point is not whether Djok's parents deserved it or not, or even if
it was okay for Fed to call them out (I wouldn't think it was okay, but
it's just my opinion), it definitely wasn't classy - which is what Fed
is labelled as.

Mike DeSantis

Sep 23, 2022, 5:48:10 PM9/23/22
Whisper schrieb am Freitag, 23. September 2022 um 10:30:07 UTC+2:
> On 23/09/2022 9:41 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > https://youtu.be/tM5O9THbFwQ
>

> Very classy comments from Novak.
>
> Hard to be friends with rivals while playing but may be closer in
> retirement - if Roger can put those 3 Wimbledon final losses behind him.

He can.
He was 32, 33 and 37 years old when lost those 3 Wimbledon finals to a 26, 27 and 31-year-old Djokovic.
It was to be expected.

As has been explained a few times already the 5/6-year age gap between the Maestro and Joker/Rafa was a monstrous disadvantage for Roger.
Look, Djokovic had won only 3 (!) slams before Federer turned 30.
7 slams before Federer turned 33.

Mike

PeteWasLucky

Sep 23, 2022, 5:53:00 PM9/23/22
Deserved it or not? :)
It's not a punishment, they were told to be quiet.
Haven't you ever been told to be quiet? In class, movie, etc?
But continue on...

Gracchus

Sep 23, 2022, 7:10:07 PM9/23/22
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:07:33 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote:

> My point is not whether Djok's parents deserved it or not, or even if
> it was okay for Fed to call them out

That is a fucking STUPID EXPRESSION!

Gracchus

Sep 23, 2022, 7:15:32 PM9/23/22
Of course it was deserved. It wouldn't have been necessary if the umpire had kept Djoke's lowlife family in check, but he didn't. So Federer had to attend to it himself. IMO he showed remarkable restraint in *only* telling them to be quiet.

Sawfish

Sep 23, 2022, 7:41:14 PM9/23/22
Ditto.

--
--Sawfish
"The Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla!"

Court_1

Sep 23, 2022, 8:04:35 PM9/23/22
Exactly. Federer was too kind to those two uncouth Djokovic parents. I would have said a lot worse to them than Federer did!

In any case, if anybody has dry eyes after watching this ending of Federer's tennis career with Nadal crying and Federer's whole family crying, I'd like to know who that dirtball is. The most elegant and popular tennis player of all time is leaving the stage. He deserves the praise. He brought so many fans to the sport and kept them there for two decades.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 8:07:55 PM9/23/22
When I was interrupting the class, maybe, but not when talking during a
break.

> In class, movie, etc?
> But continue on...

Again, was the incident in the middle of the rally or between points ?

There's a big difference.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 8:10:11 PM9/23/22
> restraint in only telling them to be quiet.

So, amongst all the voices and noises in the stadium, Fed only picked
up Djok's parents' screaming ?

Court_1

Sep 23, 2022, 8:15:54 PM9/23/22
Give it a rest, Shakes! *rolls eyes*

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 8:21:21 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> So, amongst all the voices and noises in the stadium, Fed only pickedup Djok's parents' screaming ?

Racism Shakes.

Different standards for different folks.

Uncouth Djokovic parents (read Serbs/Russians, etc) should not celebrate their son's points, or express any emotion while watching their son or even say anything in between the points, even if it's a mere instinctive reaction "the ball was in".

God hates arrogance.

Even today, He has reminded us again. As scum here were again bashing Djokovic's parents, their precious had another MP moment in his farewell match.

If that's not a sign...

Gracchus

Sep 23, 2022, 8:25:09 PM9/23/22
It's obvious they were deliberately aiming to disrupt his play. It's like Sharapova's father heckling Petrova in Russian, Brad Gilbert harassing Muster while he played Agassi, or Jim Pierce shouting, "Kill the bitch, Mary!" These things aren't even comparable to "normal" crowd noise.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 8:28:51 PM9/23/22
Yeah, fine.

> *rolls eyes*

Didn't see that for a long time. I thought you forgot how to do that.

Sawfish

Sep 23, 2022, 8:29:59 PM9/23/22
On 9/23/22 5:04 PM, Court_1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:15:32 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
>>> Deserved it or not? :)
>>> It's not a punishment, they were told to be quiet.
>>> Haven't you ever been told to be quiet? In class, movie, etc?
>>> But continue on...
>> Of course it was deserved. It wouldn't have been necessary if the umpire had kept Djoke's lowlife family in check, but he didn't. So Federer had to attend to it himself. IMO he showed remarkable restraint in *only* telling them to be quiet.
> Exactly. Federer was too kind to those two uncouth Djokovic parents. I would have said a lot worse to them than Federer did!
But then, you'd never be playing Djokovich in a final, so no worries.

> In any case, if anybody has dry eyes after watching this ending of Federer's tennis career with Nadal crying and Federer's whole family crying, I'd like to know who that dirtball is.

"I'm your huckleberry."

> The most elegant and popular tennis player of all time is leaving the stage.

Yes. Agreed. Absolutely. No kiddin', Court.

> He deserves the praise.
He does.
> He brought so many fans to the sport and kept them there for two decades.
That I don't care about, but I DO care that I got to watch him for 20 years.

"Doncha know,
That it's a shame and a pity
You were raised
Up in the city
And you never learned nothin'
'bout country ways."

--Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 8:30:27 PM9/23/22
Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> It's obvious they were deliberately aiming to disrupt his play. It's like Sharapova's father heckling Petrova in Russian, Brad Gilbert harassing Muster while he played Agassi, or Jim Pierce shouting, "Kill the bitch, Mary!" These things aren't even comparable to "normal" crowd noise.

If you'd do that, it doesn't mean others follow the same reasoning/motivation.

So speak for yourself.

Besides what you said can't be applied here. What's the "deliberate disturbance" if someone yells unspecific, undirected fan stuff once the point is over?

Smoking too much?

Sawfish

Sep 23, 2022, 8:36:19 PM9/23/22
On 9/23/22 5:21 PM, *skriptis wrote:
> "Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>> So, amongst all the voices and noises in the stadium, Fed only pickedup Djok's parents' screaming ?
>
> Racism Shakes.
>
> Different standards for different folks.
>
> Uncouth Djokovic parents (read Serbs/Russians, etc) should not celebrate their son's points, or express any emotion while watching their son or even say anything in between the points, even if it's a mere instinctive reaction "the ball was in".
>

> God hates arrogance.
>
> Even today, He has reminded us again. As scum here were again bashing Djokovic's parents, their precious had another MP moment in his farewell match.
>
> If that's not a sign...

But this is all such *small* shit, right?

The MP moments signify, the astonishing halfvolleys from the baseline to
turn an offensive shot by the opponent into an offensive shot for Fed
signify All this matters, but not the off-court stuff that happened for
or against him. Those are simple distractions.

Does this make sense?

"The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
were large!" --Sawfish

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 8:41:11 PM9/23/22
Gracchus wrote:

> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:10:11 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote:
>
> > So, amongst all the voices and noises in the stadium, Fed only
> > picked up Djok's parents' screaming ?
>
> It's obvious they were deliberately aiming to disrupt his play.

But it was not during the play. The point was over.

> It's
> like Sharapova's father heckling Petrova in Russian, Brad Gilbert
> harassing Muster while he played Agassi, or Jim Pierce shouting,
> "Kill the bitch, Mary!" These things aren't even comparable to
> "normal" crowd noise.

Fair enough, though in none of these cases the other player shouted at
the said person. Fed won a record number of Stefan Edberg awards. It's
in that context that I am evaluating his reaction. It's not like
heckling never happened to a top player ever before.

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 8:51:14 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Fair enough, though in none of these cases the other player shouted at the said person. Fed won a record number of Stefan Edberg awards. It'sin that context that I am evaluating his reaction. It's not like heckling never happened to a top player ever before.

Let's take a look at pure class. You're class not when you cheer after points are over, you're actually a class when you do this.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/roger-federer-and-stan-wawrinka-in-10minute-row-over-wife-mirka-heckling-claims-20141118-11onwi.html

Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals on Saturday night became clearer yesterday as well-placed sources attested that the two men found themselves "thrashing out their differences" in the O2 Arena's gym after their semi-final.

Furthermore, the common thread in the accounts of a hot-tempered match concerns the role of Federer's wife, Mirka. It is understood that Mirka's intense and even provocative support for her husband – which peaked just before Wawrinka served for the match at 5-4 in the third set –caused Wawrinka to complain about her behaviour.

The following conversation was caught by the microphones in the second set.

Umpire Cedric Mourier: "I didn't hear anything, Stan."

Wawrinka: "That's because I wasn't on their side [of the court]. She did the same thing at Wimbledon. Every time I'm on their side, she mouths off before the serve. It's insufferable."

Then at 5-5 in the third set, after Wawrinka had already wasted three match points, he comes up to Mourier again to say "Not before the serve." At this point, the words "Cry baby" can be heard in a female voice. Wawrinka points his racket at the side of the court, towards the position occupied by Mirka and the rest of the Federer team, then looks down the court at Federer.

"What did she say?" he asks incredulously.

This is class.

Shakes

Sep 23, 2022, 8:59:08 PM9/23/22
:) I forgot this incident. Actually, Wawrinka should've asked Mirka to
be quiet. Poor guy was called a cry baby (IIRC, even by some folks on
RST) for complaining to the umpire.

*skriptis

Sep 23, 2022, 9:11:17 PM9/23/22
"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> :) I forgot this incident. Actually, Wawrinka should've asked Mirka tobe quiet. Poor guy was called a cry baby (IIRC, even by some folks onRST) for complaining to the umpire.

So let's recapitulate.

When on court, Federer talks shit to his opponent's parents in the box.

When in the box, Federer team talks shit to Federer's opponents on the court and interferes with their serve.

And they're classy ones?

And for the umpteenth time. Djokovic parents never said anything to Federer, and nor did they speak or interfered during the point. So per tennis etiquette they did *nothing*.

OTOH Federer's box heckled and interfered when Wawrinka was trying to serve, per his own words.

Court_1

Sep 24, 2022, 1:17:55 AM9/24/22
Djokovic's mother had declared "the king is dead" a few months before the match where Federer told Djokovic's parents to be quiet. I think she said it at the AO 2008 when Djokovic beat Federer. Did you want Federer to roll out the red carpet for thosee two loons?

However, in fairness, we don't know what went on behind the scenes and I do realize that Federer made a lot of snide comments about Djokovic in the early days. But Djokovic's parents have continued with this vendetta against Federer ever since. No matter what happened and who was at fault, those Djokovic parents are classless. They need to give it a rest. Isn't it enough for them that their son has most of the important records?

Pelle Svanslös

Sep 24, 2022, 3:29:01 AM9/24/22
On 24.9.2022 3.04, Court_1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:15:32 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

>>> Deserved it or not? :)
>>
>>> It's not a punishment, they were told to be quiet.
>>> Haven't you ever been told to be quiet? In class, movie, etc?
>>> But continue on...
>> Of course it was deserved. It wouldn't have been necessary if the umpire had kept Djoke's lowlife family in check, but he didn't. So Federer had to attend to it himself. IMO he showed remarkable restraint in *only* telling them to be quiet.
>
> Exactly. Federer was too kind to those two uncouth Djokovic parents. I would have said a lot worse to them than Federer did!
>
> In any case, if anybody has dry eyes after watching this ending of Federer's tennis career with Nadal crying and Federer's whole family crying, I'd like to know who that dirtball is.

I cry over a lot of things, but no, I haven't shed a tear over this one.
It bearly registered. Very tiny bearly.

Although in a way I have lukewarmed to Fed again and am a Fedfan of
sorts even.

> The most elegant and popular tennis player of all time is leaving the stage. He deserves the praise. He brought so many fans to the sport and kept them there for two decades.

Many of the deluxe fans never were fans of the game. But fans of being a
fan. Whisper, to his credit, still plods on.

--
"And off they went, from here to there,
The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"

*skriptis

Sep 24, 2022, 3:30:51 AM9/24/22
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> Djokovic's mother had declared "the king is dead" a few months before the match where Federer told Djokovic's parents to be quiet. I think she said it at the AO 2008 when Djokovic beat Federer. Did you want Federer to roll out the red carpet for thosee two loons?

And what is a big deal with "king is dead, long live the king"?

Never could figure that out.

Federer would have a right to get offended there, only if he were so arrogant to assume and believe that the AO title belongs to him for all eternity? So if you suggest they offended him, you're actually confirming our belief that he's the most arrogant creature ever.

He was two-time defending champion at AO, he lost to Djokovic and Djokovic won the title.

He was replaced by a new champion.

"King is dead, long live the king", is an expression signaling succession. It has nothing to do with wishing death to anyone. Maybe Federer wasn't entirely succeeded at that point (still kept #1 and was defending champion at Wim/USO) but in broader terms it definitely signaled the end of his peak, or at least the begging of the end.

You see, he made 10 consecutive slam finals up to that point, an all-time record and Djokovic beat him in the SF ending that run. Federer went on to make another 8 in a row, which is second best result in history too.

But that match signaled for the first time since 2005 that Federer is losing ground in slams.

It happened 5-6 months before 2008 Wim so you could say Djokovic was the one who dethroned Federer or at least started process of dethroning.

Forgive a mother who had just seen most dominant player in slam history, 12-time champion, being beaten by her own son, after all of them sacrificing for years.

If you excuse Federer's tears and making an ass of himself in situations where you say stuff means to him, and if you excuse heckling from his box (Mirka), then you could do the same for a woman, a mother, and take her joy and pride less seriously and not inspect every word and search for hidden or bad motives, since actually there was none.

Once more, that expression was not directed at Federer personally, it has nothing to do with him. It's an expression, a was poetic way to talk about change of the guard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_king_is_dead,_long_live_the_king!

"More recently, this phrase has become a popular phrasal template. Given the memorable nature of the phrase (owing to epanalepsis), as well as its historic significance, the phrase crops up regularly as a headline for articles, editorials, or advertisements on themes of succession or replacement."

Really, Federer's arrogance has no boundaries.

> However, in fairness, we don't know what went on behind the scenes and I do realize that Federer made a lot of snide comments about Djokovic in the early days.

Yeah.

> But Djokovic's parents have continued with this vendetta against Federer ever since. No matter what happened and who was at fault, those Djokovic parents are classless. They need to give it a rest. Isn't it enough for them that their son has most of the important records?

I believe Djokovics expected public apology after they've been publicly insulted "be quiet". And it's only dad actually who didn't let it go, he's rarely in the media anyway, but like I said, Federer's public apology would put an end to it, Federer will never do it, so there will never be end. We can live with that. Who cares.

It's one thing one Federer insulted Novak (he's a joker, quitter etc) which he was kinda at the time...that isn't such a big deal.

But to abuse parents, that's haram.

You'd never see Novak talking shit to Federer's parents.

Whisper

Sep 24, 2022, 7:32:51 AM9/24/22
Never saw Fed as classy, more dorky.

Whisper

Sep 24, 2022, 7:34:23 AM9/24/22
Wait, you're still holding on to the line Fed is goat?

lol love it : )

Whisper

Sep 24, 2022, 7:54:25 AM9/24/22
Why doesn't Fed stick up for his opponents when everyone is cheering him
on and booing opponent? He has no problem with that.

Gracchus

Sep 24, 2022, 10:52:05 AM9/24/22
So he's supposed to stop the match and instruct the whole crowd to cheer his opponent more? I'd like to know who DOES do that, because I've never seen it.

But I'm sure you already know your remark was stupid. We're discussing behavior in the opponent's supporters' box--NOT random members of the crowd.

RaspingDrive

Sep 24, 2022, 10:58:34 AM9/24/22
Here is more fodder for you and Skriptis. Watch what happened after Fed hugged McEnroe and was moving toward his group. Watch carefully. It's only for a second. I won't blame Federer for it though, he probably missed Tiafoe approaching him!!

Whisper

Sep 24, 2022, 11:02:05 AM9/24/22
I think as a pro you just ignore that stuff. You think Jimmy Connors
would have been bothered? He'd be like a pig in mud.

You just have to ignore the outside noise and focus on your next stroke
and process. If the fans/family are too loud/drunk the umpire should
remove them.

Gracchus

Sep 24, 2022, 11:28:34 AM9/24/22
That's selective memory on your part. Connors did get pissed at individuals in the crowd and yell at them sometimes. And look at Djokovic himself. He gets peeved when a few strangers don't give him enough love. Seriously, we're only talking about this in the first place because the incident was an anomaly in the midst a very long career. You're acting like Federer spent most of his matches jabbering back-and-forth with players' relatives.

> You just have to ignore the outside noise and focus on your next stroke
> and process.

> If the fans/family are too loud/drunk the umpire should
> remove them.

That supports my earlier point. It's exactly what the umpire *should* do, but in this case he wasn't doing his job.

Whisper

Sep 24, 2022, 11:37:38 AM9/24/22
On 25/09/2022 1:28 am, Gracchus wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 8:02:05 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
>> On 25/09/2022 12:52 am, Gracchus wrote:
>>> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 4:54:25 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
>
>>> But I'm sure you already know your remark was stupid. We're discussing behavior in the opponent's supporters' box--NOT random members of the crowd.
>
>> I think as a pro you just ignore that stuff. You think Jimmy Connors
>> would have been bothered? He'd be like a pig in mud.
>

> That's selective memory on your part. Connors did get pissed at individuals in the crowd and yell at them sometimes. And look at Djokovic himself. He gets peeved when a few strangers don't give him enough love. Seriously, we're only talking >about this in the first place because the incident was an anomaly in the midst a very long career. You're acting like Federer spent most of his matches jabbering back-and-forth with players' relatives.

Yes it's rare, but usually because Roger gets unconditional love
wherever he goes. Not everyone is a fan of Roger, that's ok in sports
and you should expect some fans to cheer your errors etc. Fans bring in
the $$ and keep the game alive, should be allowed to choose their faves
for any reason they want. They shouldn't have to explain why they don't
like, or are ambivalent to Roger, or any player no matter how 'beloved'
some may see them.

>> You just have to ignore the outside noise and focus on your next stroke
>> and process.
>
>> If the fans/family are too loud/drunk the umpire should
>> remove them.
>
> That supports my earlier point. It's exactly what the umpire *should* do, but in this case he wasn't doing his job.

Well that says to me the noise they were making wasn't excessive, just
part of regular audience din. Players need to have a thick skin and
really block the world out when they are in concert.

Gracchus

Sep 24, 2022, 11:52:11 AM9/24/22
On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 8:37:38 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
> On 25/09/2022 1:28 am, Gracchus wrote:

> >> I think as a pro you just ignore that stuff. You think Jimmy Connors
> >> would have been bothered? He'd be like a pig in mud.
> >

> > That's selective memory on your part. Connors did get pissed at individuals in the crowd and yell at them sometimes. And look at Djokovic himself. He gets peeved when a few strangers don't give him enough love. Seriously, we're only talking >about this in the first place because the incident was an anomaly in the midst a very long career. You're acting like Federer spent most of his matches jabbering back-and-forth with players' relatives.

> Yes it's rare, but usually because Roger gets unconditional love
> wherever he goes. Not everyone is a fan of Roger, that's ok in sports
> and you should expect some fans to cheer your errors etc. Fans bring in
> the $$ and keep the game alive, should be allowed to choose their faves
> for any reason they want. They shouldn't have to explain why they don't
> like, or are ambivalent to Roger, or any player no matter how 'beloved'
> some may see them.

Obviously. But it wasn't some "fans" cheering for Djokovic that brought this about. It was his family being disruptive.

> >> You just have to ignore the outside noise and focus on your next stroke
> >> and process.

> >> If the fans/family are too loud/drunk the umpire should
> >> remove them.

> > That supports my earlier point. It's exactly what the umpire *should* do, but in this case he wasn't doing his job.

> Well that says to me the noise they were making wasn't excessive, just
> part of regular audience din. Players need to have a thick skin and
> really block the world out when they are in concert.

It shouldn't tell you that at all. We know there's no consistency among umpires. Some run a tight ship and some are scared to death of taking control.

*skriptis

Sep 24, 2022, 12:03:39 PM9/24/22
Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Obviously. But it wasn't some "fans" cheering for Djokovic that brought this about. It was his family being disruptive.

Please idiot tell us how were they "disruptive" by supporting their son, and keeping silent while the point was being played?

Pelle Svanslös

Sep 24, 2022, 12:54:27 PM9/24/22
On 24.9.2022 19.03, *skriptis wrote:
> Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>> Obviously. But it wasn't some "fans" cheering for Djokovic that brought this about. It was his family being disruptive.
>

> Please idiot tell us how were they "disruptive" by supporting their son, and keeping silent while the point was being played?

Yes. Fed manages to make an entitled ass out of himself here. Completely
out of line.

changj...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2022, 1:01:15 PM9/24/22
I don't see that the original message implies goat or not. It states a common sense fact that is only denied in rst, which is laughable in real world and life. Why are you so sensitive ? The only explanation is that Fed is still the dominant goat because only a goat should be under scrutiny for his every achievement detail. "Over years, every win Fed had over Nad/Djok in W and Open is because they didn't become best and when Fed became old and started losing, he is actually a better version than say his 03 to 07 version, so no excuse." How ridiculous and harsh ?
I don't know how real world think who's goat. In rst, as long as you are nervous to posts regarding him and dig him in every opportunity, I know who is still the dominant goat in rst.

To the original message, sure he get over 2019 loss and other big losses already and I also believe he doesn't care goat stuffs at all as rst does (imo goat is a vague concept and no such a beast). he could have snapped at least one final win (especially 2019 one) vs Djok, after getting old, had he had a respectful attitude to Djok. It was supposed to be as Djok is an opponent like Nadal.

Whisper

Sep 25, 2022, 6:31:46 AM9/25/22
That's where the focus should be, on umpires enforcing rules.

It could just be a matter of Roger hearing Djoker's family cheering for
him loudly, and as he isn't used to hearing anything but support for
himself he finds it disruptive. If his family are over the top the
umpire should step in, but if it's just loud cheering that Roger enjoys
all the time, then he needs to suck it up.

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 9:34:14 AM9/26/22
On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 20:33:33 UTC+1, Shakes wrote:
> PeteWasLucky wrote:
>
> > *skriptis <skri...@post.t-com.hr> Wrote in message:r
> > > PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:> Who
> > > shouted "shut up"?Be quiet = shut up Transgression was in the fact
> > > he addressed them, while they never addressed him.Telling them to
> > > "be quiet" in a such patronising, humiliating way in front of the
> > > world is the same as if he told them to shut up.Kyrgios told
> > > Wawrinka "Kokk banged your girlfriend". Is it so much better since
> > > he didn't say "fuck"?Hardly makes a difference.-- ----Android
> > > NewsGroup
> > >
> Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html
> >
> > Be quiet = Be quiet
> >
> > It's very normal to ask them to be quiet when they are sitting too
> > close to the court and shouting lines' calls loudly.
> It's very normal for the umpire to call out, not the player. Fed
> calling out to Djok's parents, whether they deserved it or not, is
> definitely not normal.

it was good Fed shouted at them, they were heckling him all the time, it's plain rude when parents heckle tennis opponents just to help their own kid. It fine if they'd just been cheering for Djoker but they were abusing Fed. All tennis players should tell these types to shutup, they soon learn.

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 9:40:26 AM9/26/22
On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 01:41:11 UTC+1, Shakes wrote:
> Gracchus wrote:
>
> > On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:10:11 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote:
> >
> > > So, amongst all the voices and noises in the stadium, Fed only
> > > picked up Djok's parents' screaming ?
> >
> > It's obvious they were deliberately aiming to disrupt his play.
> But it was not during the play. The point was over.

tell you what, you play tennis, get to some kind of a final and we'll all turn up and stand by the court and keep heckling you and see how you react after a while. See how well your concentration keeps going. Asking whether it was during the point or not means you either don't play tennis or have never experienced this kind of thing. Personally have and it very annoying.

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 9:41:00 AM9/26/22
yes Wawrinka was totally right in this case! poor bloke

The Iceberg

Sep 26, 2022, 9:45:38 AM9/26/22
On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 08:29:01 UTC+1, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> On 24.9.2022 3.04, Court_1 wrote:

> >> Of course it was deserved. It wouldn't have been necessary if the umpire had kept Djoke's lowlife family in check, but he didn't. So Federer had to attend to it himself. IMO he showed remarkable restraint in *only* telling them to be quiet.
> >
> > Exactly. Federer was too kind to those two uncouth Djokovic parents. I would have said a lot worse to them than Federer did!
> >
> > In any case, if anybody has dry eyes after watching this ending of Federer's tennis career with Nadal crying and Federer's whole family crying, I'd like to know who that dirtball is.
> I cry over a lot of things, but no, I haven't shed a tear over this one.
> It bearly registered. Very tiny bearly.

oh come on, you don't cry over actual people or out of sympathy, it only when your depraved destroy-the-West political agenda gets stalled or totally defeated like in Roe vs Wade or when Trump WON.

> Although in a way I have lukewarmed to Fed again and am a Fedfan of
> sorts even.

oh come on, you ditched Fed years ago when you thought he'd retired and Djoker started winning things. That was years ago now.

*skriptis

Sep 26, 2022, 9:49:14 AM9/26/22
The Iceberg <iceber...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 01:41:11 UTC+1, Shakes wrote:> Gracchus wrote: > > > On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:10:11 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote: > > > > > So, amongst all the voices and noises in the stadium, Fed only > > > picked up Djok's parents' screaming ? > > > > It's obvious they were deliberately aiming to disrupt his play.> But it was not during the play. The point was over.tell you what, you play tennis, get to some kind of a final and we'll all turn up and stand by the court and keep heckling you and see how you react after a while. See how well your concentration keeps going. Asking whether it was during the point or not means you either don't play tennis or have never experienced this kind of thing. Personally have and it very annoying.

Icey, Djokovic hit a winner, linesman (or umpire) called it out and everyone reacted.

Novak was ready to ask umpire to check the mark, Federer himself immediately conceded the point, and Djokovic parents (or perhaps only dad) had a fan reaction once the ball was called out, he jumped and I guess said "it's in".

That's kinda normal stuff from fans, it's not heckling, and no different than fan yelling "bravo" had the ball been clean winner.

Heckling is something else.