Table Tennis Suicides, Murders

BICENBKS

Feb 20, 2002, 1:06:13 AM2/20/02
Let's see. Errol Klein and Richard Farrell were murdered.
Steve Hammond and Rutledge Barry committed suicide.
That's a bad record for such a small sport. Any others?

Berndt J. G. Mann

Feb 20, 2002, 1:23:33 AM2/20/02

Yes. A promising young player living in Cleveland named Augustus Mark
was murdered while a taxicab driver in the late '80s or early '90s--I
can't remember exactly when.

Berndt Mann

MFBaltaxe

Feb 20, 2002, 2:01:49 AM2/20/02
Dean Galardi choked to death

marco

Feb 20, 2002, 2:32:40 AM2/20/02
This Rutlege Barry rings a faint bell. Did I know him? Most probably he
was a good player that I heard about? What was his rating, where did he
play?

marco

"BICENBKS" <bice...@aol.com> wrote in message

marco

Feb 20, 2002, 2:33:29 AM2/20/02
Let's not forget the mathew murod tournament who was killed in a car
accident I think.

marco

"MFBaltaxe" <mfba...@aol.com> wrote in message

Craig Oldfield

Feb 20, 2002, 2:39:07 AM2/20/02
In article <djIc8.62824$vc.10...@news1.rdc1.az.home.com>,
cacc...@aol.com burbled...

> Let's not forget the mathew murod tournament who was killed in a car
> accident I think.

The whole tournament?
--
Craig Oldfield

MFBaltaxe

Feb 20, 2002, 2:57:07 AM2/20/02
Great player from the East Coast and eventually Los Angeles. He was about 2500,
good guy too

John Schneider

Feb 20, 2002, 4:35:55 AM2/20/02
In article <20020220010613...@mb-fw.aol.com>,
bice...@aol.com says...

> Let's see. Errol Klein and Richard Farrell were murdered.
> Steve Hammond and Rutledge Barry committed suicide.
> That's a bad record for such a small sport. Any others?

Eric Jones, a 2100 player from Southern California, committed suicide
after murdering his ex-girlfriend. Another L.A. area player, Dale
Francis, was murdered in the late 1980's or early 1990's. A Maryland
player named Chris Manglitz was murdered in the mid-90's. I also have a
recollection of a good player, possibly originally from Nigeria or the
West Indies, getting murdered somewhere back east. BTW, I think you
meant *Erwin* Klein.

John R. Miller

Feb 20, 2002, 5:16:51 AM2/20/02
In article <MPG.16dd62f74...@news.cable.ntlworld.com>,
Craig Oldfield <cr...@craigoldfield.co.uk> wrote:

The eponym.

Larry Hodges

Feb 20, 2002, 6:21:14 AM2/20/02
"marco" <cacc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> This Rutlege Barry rings a faint bell. Did I know him? Most probably he
> was a good player that I heard about? What was his rating, where did he
> play?

Here's a rough synopsis. Rutledge Barry was a semifinalist at the U.S.
Nationals at the age of 14, in the late 1970s. He was also a genius - I
forget how many grades he skipped. He quit table tennis at the age of 15,
and disappeared for nearly 15 years. He started playing again around the
early 1990s, and got up to about 2500. By this time, he was quite wealthy as
a women's clothing designer, or so I was told. He committed suicide in the
late 1990s or so.

-Larry Hodges

With NINE Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

ZeroEffect25

Feb 20, 2002, 12:49:31 PM2/20/02

>Let's see. Errol Klein and Richard Farrell were murdered.
>Steve Hammond and Rutledge Barry committed suicide.
>That's a bad record for such a small sport. Any others?

Moses Kingston, shot 8 times in Brooklyn. Really nice guy too.

ZeroEffect25

Feb 20, 2002, 12:50:32 PM2/20/02

>Great player from the East Coast and eventually Los Angeles. He was about
>2500,
>good guy too

There was one guy who died in a moterbike crash right before US Open one year.
I forgot his name.

ZeroEffect25

Feb 20, 2002, 12:51:19 PM2/20/02
Then there was that Umpire Eric, from westfield, didn't he commit suciude?

John Schneider

Feb 20, 2002, 12:57:40 PM2/20/02
In article <20020220125032...@mb-bd.aol.com>,
zeroef...@aol.com says...
Claudio Kano. And, of course, Hans Alser was killed in a plane crash.

Waqidi

Feb 20, 2002, 1:15:18 PM2/20/02

"Larry Hodges" <la...@larrytt.com> wrote in message

> "marco" <cacc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > This Rutlege Barry rings a faint bell. Did I know him? Most probably
he
> > was a good player that I heard about? What was his rating, where did he
> > play?
>
> Here's a rough synopsis. Rutledge Barry was a semifinalist at the U.S.
> Nationals at the age of 14, in the late 1970s. He was also a genius - I
> forget how many grades he skipped. He quit table tennis at the age of 15,
> and disappeared for nearly 15 years. He started playing again around the
> early 1990s, and got up to about 2500. By this time, he was quite wealthy
as
> a women's clothing designer, or so I was told. He committed suicide in the
> late 1990s or so.
>
> -Larry Hodges
Mas Hashimoto used to train with him often so I know something about his
game through Mas. Rutledge was known for having really good serves with
tremendous spin. He literally could beat most players below 2200 just with
his serves. I also remember that I was told that he had to deal with severe
depression most of his life. I believe that his suicide came shortly after
trying to come to grips with a major financial loss.

Mas always spoke very kindly of Rutledge and I believe he was well liked by
those who knew him. I spoke with him (as I remember) perhaps once or twice
as he was using the ASTI rubber. I was very saddened when I heard he had
taken his life apparently as a direct consequence of a short term financial
setback. He had many years of success and a brilliant career so it was very
sad what happened. He was I am told an extraordinary talented person.

Waqidi

Larry Hodges

Feb 20, 2002, 1:12:56 PM2/20/02
"ZeroEffect25" <zeroef...@aol.com> wrote in message

That was Brazil's Claudio Kano.

John Schneider

Feb 20, 2002, 1:50:11 PM2/20/02
In article <a50oi0$o6h$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>,
fali...@mindspring.com says...
Rutledge was one of the most talented players I ever knew. His serves
were indeed tremendously spinny. Many good players had trouble with his
serves, even though they weren't hidden. He was a looper with great
touch who could also chop very well. In fact, he would regularly beat a
2100 player in matches in which Rutledge would just chop. During his
comeback he got to the round of 16 at the Nationals one year (he lost to
Jim Butler 3-1). I remember Rutledge defeating Sean O'Neill deuce in the
5th at a Southern California tournament in the early 90's. I think he
also had a victory over Khoa Nguyen around that time.

Beavis and Butthead

Feb 20, 2002, 2:21:02 PM2/20/02
Craig Oldfield <cr...@craigoldfield.co.uk> wrote in message news:<MPG.16dd62f74...@news.cable.ntlworld.com>...

I've played in some tournaments that deserved to be killed in a car accident.

B&B

Beavis and Butthead

Feb 20, 2002, 2:23:33 PM2/20/02
"marco" <cacc...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<siIc8.62823$vc.10...@news1.rdc1.az.home.com>...
> This Rutlege Barry rings a faint bell. Did I know him?

In the biblical sense, most likely.

B&B

BICENBKS

Feb 20, 2002, 4:33:55 PM2/20/02
Wasn't Mark Augustus originally from Jamaica? I think he was about a 2450
player at least, who was murdered while
driving cab. Another player, a Michigan
player named Eddy Brennen, was beaten
up very badly and knocked when driving cab. Very lucky to live, he was found
on
the street.

BICENBKS

Feb 20, 2002, 7:47:07 PM2/20/02
Ricky Cogwell is another Michigan player
from the 70's, early 80's who was murdered. He was about 1900. He was
very sturdily built and of American Indian
decent. Living in Muskegon, he went
to collect an unpaid gambling debt from
winning at 8 ball. He was blown away by
the guy's wife. I almost forgot about that
one. Also, Dell Sweeris's sister was
murdered in a bar in Michigan I believe.

Beavis and Butthead

Feb 21, 2002, 2:56:18 PM2/21/02
"Waqidi" <fali...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<a50oi0$o6h$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>...

> Mas always spoke very kindly of Rutledge and I believe he was well liked by
> those who knew him. I spoke with him (as I remember) perhaps once or twice
> as he was using the ASTI rubber.

That's sufficient reason for committing suicide.

> I was very saddened when I heard he had taken his life apparently as a direct
> consequence of a short term financial setback.

Not to mention the fact that you had just lost another customer.

B&B

Chip Mattox

Feb 21, 2002, 9:34:13 PM2/21/02

"MFBaltaxe" <mfba...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Dean Galardi choked to death

Didn't a promising junior-John Stillons-buy it in a moped accident?

John Schneider

Feb 21, 2002, 9:41:01 PM2/21/02
In article <u7bbhh1...@corp.supernews.com>, rem...@parrett.net
says...
Jeff Stewart, a good Southern California player in the 1970's and 80's,
was killed in an automobile accident.

Larry Hodges

Feb 21, 2002, 9:52:33 PM2/21/02
"Chip Mattox" <rem...@parrett.net> wrote in message

Yes. I knew him well - I believe when he died, he was about 14, and #2 or 3
in the country for his age, after Eric Boggan and Brian Masters.

jc

Feb 21, 2002, 10:28:21 PM2/21/02
What a lovely, heartwarming thread........ I'd almost rather listen to
S-jan's blathering!
Cheers,
jc

Larry Hodges

Feb 22, 2002, 12:25:58 AM2/22/02
"jc" <mi...@NOSPAMusmo.com> wrote in message

> What a lovely, heartwarming thread........ I'd almost rather listen to
> S-jan's blathering!

Believe me, it's a pretty bad memory for me as well. At the time, I was
about 18 or 19 or so (about 1978 or 1979), and was practicing regularly with
Brian Masters, who like Johnny Stillions and Eric Boggan was about 14, and
the top three in the country for their age. A short time before he died in
what I was told was a car accident (was it a moped accident, as someone else
just posted?), Brian and I took a bus to a tournament (I think an Easterns
in Pittsburgh), and roomed together. Brian invited Johnny and Eric up, and
we spent the night playing video games. Later that night, we got in trouble
for throwing candy off the hotel roof. Eric got in bigger trouble when he
tossed a rock and accidentally put out a hotel light, and got chased by
hotel security - they didn't catch him. I knew Johnny very well, and still
can't believe it, over 20 years later. Brian also took it pretty hard. (I
also knew Rutledge Barry, Alan Evanson, Matthew Murad, Chris Manglitz and
Eric Jones very well, so these aren't exactly fond memories....)

Around 1978, I spent the night with a friend from Virginia, Tony Khan. He
gave me a ride to the tournament on his motorcycle, the only time in my life
I've ever been on a motorcycle. I ended up beating him in the final of some
event, probably Under 1900 or so. After the match, he broke his racket in
two, and stormed off very angry at himself. (I had a separate ride home.) I
found out a week later that he died in a motorcycle accident on the way
home.

Robert Mayer

Feb 22, 2002, 12:43:15 AM2/22/02
On 21 Feb 2002 11:56:18 -0800, mrp...@hotmail.com (Beavis and
Butthead) wrote:

Dude, that's really hitting below the belt. Your sarcastic "humor" is
starting to wear a little thin.

- Robert -

Robert Mayer

Feb 22, 2002, 1:03:34 AM2/22/02
On 20 Feb 2002 06:06:13 GMT, bice...@aol.com (BICENBKS) wrote:

>Let's see. Errol Klein and Richard Farrell were murdered.
>Steve Hammond and Rutledge Barry committed suicide.
>That's a bad record for such a small sport. Any others?

I believe Mort Finkelstein (related to Eric?), a top player from OKC
in the early 60's, was murdered within the past decade or so, but long
after his competitive TT days.

- Robert -

Robert Mayer

Feb 22, 2002, 1:05:58 AM2/22/02
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:35:55 GMT, John Schneider
<js2100[NOSPAM]@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Eric Jones, a 2100 player from Southern California, committed suicide
>after murdering his ex-girlfriend. Another L.A. area player, Dale
>Francis, was murdered in the late 1980's or early 1990's. A Maryland
>player named Chris Manglitz was murdered in the mid-90's. I also have a
>recollection of a good player, possibly originally from Nigeria or the
>West Indies, getting murdered somewhere back east. BTW, I think you
>meant *Erwin* Klein.

I also remember something about the West Indies player, but can't
remember his name off hand. He was living in Connecticut in the late
80's/early 90s and was about 2300-2400 level. What I remember hearing
was that he was murdered in a bar fight in Germany.

- Robert -

Eric Finkelstein

Feb 22, 2002, 4:31:11 PM2/22/02
> I believe Mort Finkelstein (related to Eric?), a top player from OKC
> in the early 60's, was murdered within the past decade or so, but long
> after his competitive TT days.
>
> - Robert -

Well i just asked momma and she said no, she's never heard of a
Mort Finkelstein. Also there's nobody in my family that plays TT, I
actually got started by accident. If anyone wants to know the story
I'll tell.

Eric - Leaving for a lesson in 15 min.

marco

Feb 22, 2002, 5:08:13 PM2/22/02
I started when I walked into the game room at rutgers in newark and saw
Murielle Sterm playing Cliff Jones (they're both about 1800). I thought it
looked pretty cool and I needed something to do to kill an hour so I gave it
a shot. Muriell was a natural coach and she showed me how to counter and
actually it wasn't too difficult so I did that. Then she showed me how to
loop. I remember the feeling of landing my first big loop kill. It was
addicting. 12 (13?) years later I still love the feeling of a perfect
connection and watching the ball zing and then dive as the opponent looks on
helplessly.

marco

"Eric Finkelstein" <cleverna...@aol.com> wrote in message

John Schneider

Feb 22, 2002, 5:16:57 PM2/22/02

Larry Hodges

Feb 22, 2002, 5:50:01 PM2/22/02
"Eric Finkelstein" <cleverna...@aol.com> wrote in message

Tell!

I'm starting a thread on how people started. Tell us how you started in that
thread.

BICENBKS

Feb 22, 2002, 6:30:05 PM2/22/02
Speaking of bar fights, didn't someone almost take Jan Ove out in a bar fight a
few years ago? Apparently, he has a
big facial scar as a result of it.

John Schneider

Feb 22, 2002, 8:09:14 PM2/22/02
In article <20020222183005...@mb-ce.aol.com>,
bice...@aol.com says...

> Speaking of bar fights, didn't someone almost take Jan Ove out in a bar fight a
> few years ago? Apparently, he has a
> big facial scar as a result of it.

Yes, the scar is often visible in photographs and videos. I heard it
happened at a bar in Hong Kong in the late 1980's.

BICENBKS

Feb 25, 2002, 11:27:42 PM2/25/02
Although nobody mentioned it, there was
a car crash at the U.S. Team Trials a couple of years ago in which many top
U.S. players were involved. I believe 2
vans were involved on a Nevada highway.
Fortunately nobody was seriously injured
in that near fatal collision.

bluec...@gmail.com

May 1, 2013, 6:41:06 PM5/1/13
On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 11:01:52 PM UTC-8, MFBaltaxe wrote:
> Dean Galardi choked to death

Belatedly (I read Tim Boggin's Hx today…online)… I found out. I didn't know Dean as a friend, but I used to see this boyish-faced kid with amazing TT skills. I remember seeing him at the old Hollywood TT Club, and an exhibition at the Old Towne Torrance Mall (against all comers - he would handicap 2-19!). I went with a friend named Takafumi Hirakawa (a Toyota executive), who refused the handicap, played him straight up…. Tak won! He returned to Japan, became some successful businessman (Google Takafumi Hirakawa)…he owns chemical patents. Anyway, I have his old butterfly paddle, the one he beat Dean with, in my closet. Oddly, I think about that match every time I see the paddle. God be with you Dean. You were much too young to die.

ndnste...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2015, 9:52:43 PM4/30/15
In junior high I dabbled in the sport in Oklahoma City (1976-78). Mainly because of Ron Shirley's "Table Tennis Oklahoma" club being in my neighborhood. Then my apt.complex had a good Stiga table in the clubhouse and Bruce Smith and Gary Fagan lived in my complex and we were in that clubhouse every day for most of 1977. Ron brought Danny Seemiller to OKC for a clinic that summer (See Seemiller on 7/7/77! went the plug.) Also that summer Ron had Rutledge Barry come stay in Oklahoma Cityfor a month or two. He was at our apartments almost every day too. We shared a bond as high IQ "grade-skippers," but I never approached any of my playing partners levels. I could hit alright, but I never could develop a decent serve! Anyway, I hung out with Rutledge that summer of '77, I guess that was close to the end of his initial rise before he quit. AND, there definitely was a Mort Finkelstein playing in the OKC scene in the 1970's I remember him from our weekly play at OKC's Military Park Rec Center. He had high waisted trousers like Ed Grimley and was a strictly Old-School chopper. Hard to believe all that was nearly 40 years ago when both sides of my racquet were red, ...until Seemiller and his "Anti-Spin" helped change the rule! R.I.P. Rutledge and it is a hoot to see the name Mort Finkelstein after all this time.

Joseph Robinson

May 27, 2021, 6:27:37 PM5/27/21
On Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 12:01:49 AM UTC-7, MFBaltaxe wrote:
> Dean Galardi choked to death
Dean died from drugs and then chocked to death.... he was a heavy drug user, gave up table tennis because there was no money in it for him, the coach Lou Dubin was a Phedophile. i heard he died while playing tennis as well, not true, he got a bad deal on drugs, overdosed while riding his bicycle,vomited and chocked on his own vomit while sitting on the steps of a buisness in Gardena California.

Jodi Harris

Jul 28, 2021, 9:20:21 AM7/28/21
No, this is Johnny's sister, he was in a vehicle accident. He passed out over the steering wheel and was not under any influence of drugs or alcohol. He died instantly.