HAS ANYBODY SEEN OR HEARD FROM CHARLES BUTLER ??

BICENBKS

Jan 25, 2002, 6:45:51 PM1/25/02
Charles "Bubba" Butler was a machine. He could do over
70 pull-ups. He nearly made the U.S. Team one year,
then moved to Europe for several years. Does anyone
know if he ever made it back to Texas?

Mike

Bradit879

Jan 25, 2002, 11:50:28 PM1/25/02
maybe your talking about scott butler jimmy butler's brother. he still plays
but has a 2200 rating.

MFBaltaxe

Jan 26, 2002, 3:11:48 AM1/26/02
Uh I don't think so

Larry Hodges

Jan 26, 2002, 10:13:11 AM1/26/02
"Bradit879" <brad...@aol.com> wrote in message

> maybe your talking about scott butler jimmy butler's brother. he still
plays
> but has a 2200 rating.

Charles Butler is not related to Scott or Jim Butler. Charles was a top-10
U.S. player in the late 1970s/early 1980s, who moved to Germany to play in
the German Bundeliga around 1980 or so. He returned to the U.S. for the
Nationals year after year, I think into the 1990s. But I haven't heard or
seen of him in a while. The last I heard he was still playing (and coaching)
in Germany.

-Larry Hodges

pingpong

Jan 27, 2002, 2:54:28 AM1/27/02
"Larry Hodges" <la...@larrytt.com> wrote in message news:<a2ugtf$9l1$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

Larry:
I remember Charles Butler. He was a young black player in the
70's....originally from England? Great player! I haven't seen or heard
anything about him since those days. Anybody have any info on how to
get a hold of Mike Bush?

pingpong

Jan 27, 2002, 3:17:52 AM1/27/02
"Larry Hodges" <la...@larrytt.com> wrote in message news:<a2ugtf$9l1$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...
======================
Hey speaking of lost people.....what ever happened to Alex Shiroky,
Peter Pradit, Fernando Roberts, etc.

BICENBKS

Jan 27, 2002, 4:57:59 AM1/27/02
Mike Bush is apparently a Rabbi now.
Jimmy Lane, the California player who
once beat Waldner? is now a Priest I heard. I'm not sure about Ray Guillen,
but probably that guy is a successful
businessman. Talk about motivation.

John Schneider

Jan 27, 2002, 5:16:02 AM1/27/02
In article <20020127045759...@mb-fn.aol.com>,
bice...@aol.com says...
Jimmy Lane supposedly beat Applegren when they were juniors. I think Ray
Guillen is still a card dealer in Las Vegas.

pingpong

Jan 27, 2002, 9:40:43 PM1/27/02
bice...@aol.com (BICENBKS) wrote in message news:<20020127045759...@mb-fn.aol.com>...
=============
Yes I heard Mike Bush ia a rabbi...married a jewish girl and is living
in Isreal...but does anyone know how to get ahold of him? Yes Jimmy
Lane is a priest and yes Ray Guillen is a dealer in las vegas.

BICENBKS

Jan 27, 2002, 9:55:33 PM1/27/02
I'll bet Ricky Seemiller would know how
to get in touch with Mike Bush. I'm not
sure what Ricky's # is, but Danny could
probably find out Mike's # for you. You
could e-mail South Bend Table Tennis Club
via their website. Ricky had a photo of
much heavier Mike at a Sun TV Open.

Sexton, F. H. (Frank)

Jan 28, 2002, 11:25:26 AM1/28/02

I had heard that Mike Bush became a Rabbi
and moved to Israel. Anyone remember the
screaming matches he used to have with
Eric Bogan?

--
Frank Sexton

pingpong

Jan 30, 2002, 3:49:32 PM1/30/02
"Sexton, F. H. (Frank)" <fse...@ford.com> wrote in message news:<3C557B76...@ford.com>...

Hey Frank:
So does that mean that Bush actually came to America????? for the Sun TV Open?

Sexton, F. H. (Frank)

Jan 31, 2002, 9:38:13 AM1/31/02
pingpong wrote:

> "Sexton, F. H. (Frank)" <fse...@ford.com> wrote in message news:<3C557B76...@ford.com>...
> > BICENBKS wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll bet Ricky Seemiller would know how
> > > to get in touch with Mike Bush. I'm not
> > > sure what Ricky's # is, but Danny could
> > > probably find out Mike's # for you. You
> > > could e-mail South Bend Table Tennis Club
> > > via their website. Ricky had a photo of
> > > much heavier Mike at a Sun TV Open.
> >
> > I had heard that Mike Bush became a Rabbi
> > and moved to Israel. Anyone remember the
> > screaming matches he used to have with
> > Eric Boggan?

> Hey Frank:
> So does that mean that Bush actually came to America????? for the Sun TV Open?

This goes WAY back to the 1970's. I remember the Eastern Open in New
Jersey
in 1979, in particular. We had a guy from Detroit who did impressions.
He did an impression of Tim Boggan and yelled "Bravo, Eric" during his
match which caused Eric to go ballistic (Eric didn't like Tim to cheer
for him
then). Another time he called Tim at 4 in the morning during a
tournament
(I think it was a U.S.Open) pretending to be the father of a local
Detroit
junior player asking him if Eric could practice with his son the next
morning.

I don't think Mike Bush ever played in the U.S. after he went to Germany
with
Scott.
--
Frank Sexton

TIMBOGGAN

Feb 1, 2002, 3:28:23 AM2/1/02
Hi, Frank. Bubba Butler--he long gone, hopefully to make a decent life for
himself in Germany....Danny Seemiller's home phone number is 219-654-7476; the
South Bend Club's 219-257-1287....I've never seen Mike Bush heavy, but I heard
he'd ballooned to 300 pounds, and that, yes, he's a rabbi in Israel with kids.
Mike was a "taker"--persona non grata with my wife. But I liked him and tried
to help him because he pursued what he wanted. He had to be a scrounger because
he got little or no help from his parents. I'd be astonished if he came to
America and I hadn't heard...So, it was YOU who called at 4 in the morning and
caused both Eric and me to lose those Championships. Never mind--I at least
forgive you. Keep swingin.' I want 5 a side. x, Tim

Sexton, F. H. (Frank)

Feb 1, 2002, 11:48:18 AM2/1/02

No, Tim it wasn't me. I can do Jimmy Carter, John Wayne or Kermit the
Frog.
I understand the caller pretended to be Lou Budi (Mike Budi's father).
Even though I never was able to beat any you Boggans at pong I still
liked you
all. It was one of the Detroit party boys that hung around with
Mark Holochuck (spelling) at the time. Mark straightened himself out
later
and ended up wrting a book with Danny.

Say hello to Eric and Scott for me when you see them. Ask them if they
remember the time at the Canadian Open party when we crashed the pool at
1:00 in the morning. It was like in the Flintstones when Fred is banging
on the
door and wakes up the whole neighborhood.
I have 2 young girls - no time for swinging at the moment. Thanks
for all the great articles on the web site.

--
Frank Sexton

michae...@gmx.de

Mar 29, 2013, 7:51:08 PM3/29/13
Hey i know him :)

ramana...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2013, 8:39:54 PM4/1/13
And you are ?

shir...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2014, 10:33:57 PM2/21/14
Pingpong,

The Alex Shiroky your speaking of is my father :) ... I was showing my girlfriend old news articles and stumbled on this thread... He is good, what would you like to know? You can email me at shir...@gmail.com

missycu...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2014, 9:36:45 PM4/28/14
Does anyone have any information on Charles (Bubba) Butler

6ko...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 3:44:39 PM5/27/15
Wow this is a really old message-- if anyone knows Charles' whereabouts I'd love to find him if it's the guy I'm thinking of. He was from Texas and we worked and went to school together in Oklahoma for a short while in '73 - '75. Last I knew he was playing exhibition shows with the harlem globetrotters way back then. If anyone has news please contact me m.g...@hotmail.com

d.groe...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2016, 10:13:19 PM3/11/16
Charles lives allready in Germany. He plays table Tennis Hamburg.

fsex...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2016, 2:07:02 PM10/21/16
Hi Tim, If you are still in this , no it wasn't me , it was someone else from Detroit. I just started playing TT again after 18 years away, I'm finding it tough after some initial success. How are Eric and Scott doing ? Hope your health is still good, Frank

Robert Trudell

Nov 26, 2016, 7:59:14 PM11/26/16
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 11:07:02 AM UTC-7, fsex...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Tim, If you are still in this , no it wasn't me , it was someone else from Detroit. I just started playing TT again after 18 years away, I'm finding it tough after some initial success. How are Eric and Scott doing ? Hope your health is still good, Frank

Someone made a late night Booty Call to Tim? sJan emailed and claimed it was him.

Robert Trudell

Nov 26, 2016, 8:10:47 PM11/26/16
You might check with Vigo Christophersen at the Spinfactory in Hamburg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iIp1vML0DA

Robert Trudell

Nov 26, 2016, 8:19:44 PM11/26/16
Bill Kenig says, "He's rich. Too bad he doesn't have a sister."

bobr...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2018, 7:38:17 PM6/17/18
I knew Charles Butler, in fact I beat him in a tournament (with the spot) and won $30. It was the final game of the night....I had recently attended a clinic in Pittsburgh taught by Danny and Ricky SEEMILLER and beat him using anti on one side and a beefed up extra thick rubber on the other. I was spotted 18 points and won with the score 21/12 or something like that. The tournament was in 1974 and it was held at Slippery Rock College. Charles was a rated player in Pennsylvania, and had the best loop around. I was very intimidated having to play him.

Charles was crushing me during the match so I switched to the SEEMILLER backhand and extended my arm as far as I could during the vollies. The ball would spin a little weird when I did that, and I knew if I waited for the right moment Charles would loop one just a little weak eventually. He did and I slammed it into his midsection (handcuffing him). I did that move enough to win. (I only had to win 3 points per game to beat him with the handicap system)

If you ever do talk to Charles he will remember that night...guaranteed. He wasn't happy!

Bob Rose

bobr...@gmail.com

Bill Hileman

Jul 5, 2018, 8:04:23 PM7/5/18
On Friday, January 25, 2002 at 6:45:51 PM UTC-5, BICENBKS wrote:
> Charles "Bubba" Butler was a machine. He could do over
> 70 pull-ups. He nearly made the U.S. Team one year,
> then moved to Europe for several years. Does anyone
> know if he ever made it back to Texas?
>
> Mike

I wasn't on a first-name basis with him or anything but I'd seen him play at various tourneys in Pennsylvania in the 70's and I'm pretty sure he was at the '77 Seemiller summer camp in Pittsburgh with me. Eric Boggan was there, too. I enjoyed watching Charles play. He was intense, focused.

udodu...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2018, 6:43:00 AM11/14/18

Xix Internal Critic

Jul 29, 2021, 4:25:40 PM7/29/21
Hello mates,

Charles Butler died 24.12.2020 aged 67 from cancer.
I loved him. He teached me everything.

Kind Regards
Marcus

Larry Goldfarb

Jan 26, 2022, 5:07:29 AM1/26/22
This is very sad news but thanks for posting. My condolences to his family. I played nearly daily with Charles butler in the mid 70's at Danny's club in Pittsburgh where he and Gary Fagan were die-hard players practicing to be champions. We traveled together to many tournaments, mainly in Gary's rotary engine Mazda as Charles Camaro was a bit older and not in as good a road condition. Charles was a gentlemen and a hard competitor. I think I once heard that Charles and Gary drove from Pittsburgh to Omaha, played a few matches, lost and drove back only to start practicing and playing as soon as they got back. That may be called crazy but that was hw dedicated they were to table tennis. May Charles rest in peace.

Cheers,

Larry

Xix Internal Critic

Oct 3, 2022, 8:46:27 PM10/3/22