Squash balls

Jonathan Arundel

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:

1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm courts
(I live in Brisbane, Australia).

2. Is any one brand better than all the others?

3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know when
it's all become too much for my squash ball and I should put it into
retirement?

Cheers,
Jonathan Arundel.

Harmon Pierce

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

Jonathan,
Question 1 is a toughie, In hot courts you should still be able to
play with a Yello dot, if it is too lively, use the High altitude ball
(green?) it is slower than the yellow.

Question 2 is a little easier, having played with ball manufactured by
three manufacturers, I can safely say Dunlop is the absolute best ball,
it bounces very true amd above all the consistency from ball to ball is
excellent.

Question 3, I retire mine when they start to break, or break entirely.
Unless you're in tournament play, I don't see anything wrong with
playing the ball untill it splits. At most you'll have to play the
point over when it breaks.

-Harmon

AdamS

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:19:18 +1000, Jonathan Arundel
<s32...@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:
>
>1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
>dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
>altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm courts
>(I live in Brisbane, Australia).

Competition in BNE uses Yellow dot for mens, and for higher womens,
and a green for lower womens. I've never heard anyone complain that a
yellow is too fast. However there may be blue dots that seem very
fast.

>2. Is any one brand better than all the others?

There may be some difference. However the ones used for comps have too
meet a certain specification. The choice in BNE is dictated by who
wins the supply tender (or it used to be that way).

>3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
>bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know when
>it's all become too much for my squash ball and I should put it into
>retirement?

When it splits, or feels really really soft. Some courts will let you
borrow a ball.... maybe you could compare. Or use theirs.... there
usually used fixture balls so shouldn't be very old.

>Cheers,
>Jonathan Arundel.

Cheers from AdamS
Industrial Designer and VT250 pedaller.
To reply please remove xe from my address!
These opinions are mine not QUT's.

CB

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In article <33AC99...@student.uq.edu.au>, s32...@student.uq.edu.au
says...

> I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:
>
> 1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
> dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
> altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm courts
> (I live in Brisbane, Australia).

I'm in Sydney, Australia...

Depends what you mean by yellow dot! There is a yellow dot ball that used
to be the slowest ball. Then a green dot ball was introduced that was
slower than the yellow dot. This ball was called an XT. Then another
yellow dot ball called the XX was introduced and this was the slowest of
them all. Note that it coexisted with the original yellow-dot - a source
of some confusion.

If you don't play pennant, it doesn't really matter what ball you play
with. Use the ball that you enjoy best. You might want to play with a
faster ball in winter and a slower ball in summer, but I think it's
easier to always use the same speed ball and adjust your game to the
different environmental conditions. Those differences will probably be
less than the differences between different speed balls.

In general, the better you are, and harder you hit it, the slower the
ball you should choose.

> 2. Is any one brand better than all the others?

I prefer Dunlop to Merco. Others might disagree.

> 3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
> bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know when
> it's all become too much for my squash ball and I should put it into
> retirement?

When the ball is new it will be very "grippy" when it hits the floor,
i.e. it will slow down greatly and bounce high. As the ball gets older it
gets more "slippery", i.e. it doesn't bounce so high and tends to shoot
through low and fast off the floor.

In my experience the ball is best when it is brand new, and deteriorates
quite quickly from there. I'd prefer to play with a new ball every match,
but I usually settle for a new ball every few matches.
--
cb

Schopfers

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

I wouldn't wait until the ball splits before replacing it. A good rule of
thumb is to not use a ball whose emblem is worn off for competition. I
have found the emblem wears off after four matches or so. After six
matches or so, the difference in speed is noticeable.

Chris Schopfer

Greg Tully

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In regards to question 2, I agree that Dunlop balls are the best, but even
they tend to get slick as they get older. On hard low shots the ball
tends to "skip" a little bit giving an unusual bounce. Instead of
throwing the ball out however, you can scuff up the surface a little bit
by rubbing the ball on carpet before your match. This will also help warm
you ball up quicker on colder days.

Have fun,

--
Greg Tully <gr...@lambton.on.ca>
Centre for Advanced Process Technology

Hitech World Cannington

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

Jonathan Arundel wrote:

> Hi,

> I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:
>
> 1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
>
> dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
> altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm
> courts
> (I live in Brisbane, Australia).

yah....there are blue and white dot ball that some of the higher level
players use to improve their mobility and desire to get to the
ball....maybe one of these would suit but i recommend the double-yellow
as it is the most frequently used and makes for a more enjoyable game
:)

> 2. Is any one brand better than all the others?

dont know about this one but it would seem that most squash balls are
the same.

> 3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
> bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know when
> it's all become too much for my squash ball and I should put it into
> retirement?

dont worry about changing the ball.....when it blows just get rid of it
then..

Greg.

> Cheers,
> Jonathan Arundel.

Raymond E. Kujawa

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

Jonathon:

1) If you're put in the position of having to run a tournament and you
find yourself out of your precious Dunlop yellow dot, then you just
might take up the idea of accepting free balls from a sponsor like
BlackKnight -- yes, they do make squash balls. I found myself in this
situation last year. BK has something they call a double yellow dot,
which plays a little slower and feels slightly heavier than the Dunlop
yellow dot. It can sit down well on a drop shot, but some players
complain of arm problems playing with this ball (those players are
probably swinging harder at the ball). I finally did choose to make the
BK the ball of the tournament for the following reasons: 1) It was in
May (that's the beginning of the warmer days up here in the States); 2)
the host facility had a lively (concrete) front wall; and 3) I thought
it might make the tournament more interesting, with the slower ball
giving the advantage to the lob/drop and volley game. One thing you
would discover with this ball if you ever get to play with it is that it
get cold really quickly.

Occasionally, my partner and I choose to play with the Dunlop red dot.
I might elect to do this if I'm feeling a bit stiff and don't want to
overwork my back digging out his nick/drop shots--but then I tend to
overwork my back with the long rallies instead! :-)

2) I wasn't disappointed with the ball (BK), except that I noticed they
were only good for 2 matches. I would definitely stick with Dunlop
yellow dot in the future. It's the only one we play with in Seattle,
Washington.

3) What happened after two matches with the BlackKnight ball is that it
both lost its surface and began to feel really mushy. That's why I
changed them so often.

I read in an squash book "Smart Squash" by Austin M. Francis about a
test used by Frank Satterthwaite (another American) to tell when to
change the ball. When a ball gets old, it "slicks up" and plays
differently. Use the "squeak test" to tell when to change the ball:
take a dry ball and rub it on glass; if it squeaks, it's still okay.
When it doesn't squeak anymore, it's not gripping. It no longer has the
properties in bounce you want from a new ball. What I do in a pinch if
all my balls are slick is to gently work over the surface with a towel
until the shiny spots get a little dull. This can restore the squeak,
but don't overdo it too much on the carpet--too much wear can unbalance
the ball.

Hope this helps.

Ray Kujawa

Jonathan Arundel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:
>
> 1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
> dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
> altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm courts
> (I live in Brisbane, Australia).
>

> 2. Is any one brand better than all the others?
>

> 3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
> bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know when
> it's all become too much for my squash ball and I should put it into
> retirement?
>

> Cheers,
> Jonathan Arundel.

Earl Christie

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

> > I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:
> >
> > 1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
> > dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
> > altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm
Yep, thats why they make different kinds of balls.
yellow dot - extra super slow
green dot - extra super slow for high altitude
white dot - slow
red dot - medium
blue dot - fast
So choose your ball according to where you play:
hot court - slower rated ball
cold court - faster ball
high altitude....
beginners may also get a better game with a faster ball because it
bounces much more, or an older player who is not as nimble.
courts

> > 2. Is any one brand better than all the others? Yes!!!
My partner and I bought a case (12) of Black Knight balls once. We would
break one sometimes 2 in a session - not good at all. Perhaps we just
got a bad batch, but hey once bitten twice shy.
I highly recommend Dunlop XX yellow dot - British made balls.

> > 3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
> > bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know > >

When it no longer bounces right, the difference between old and new is
quite noticeable.
When balls get slick, I have found soap and warm water work quite well.
(no pun intended :-) ) Dry them well on a flannel before playing.
--
Earl.
------------------------------------

tedlev...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 4:28:17 PM3/15/17
On Sunday, June 22, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Jonathan Arundel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding squash balls:
>
> 1. Are there any situations where the use of a ball other than "yellow
> dot" would be advisable? It appears that there are balls for high
> altitude, extra-cold courts, TV and so on but non for extra-warm courts
> (I live in Brisbane, Australia).
>
> 2. Is any one brand better than all the others?
>
> 3. How do I know when to replace my squash ball? Short of actually
> bursting the thing (against the tin or something), how do I know when
> it's all become too much for my squash ball and I should put it into
> retirement?
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan Arundel.

I am only going to comment on #3: I have lately been scuffing old balls gently with sandpaper, then washing with soap and water to restore the grip. I find it works quite well. I am also experimenting with storing older balls in a tennis ball saver to restore lost bounce (a container designed to replicate the pressure in a new tennis ball can)

For serious competition, of course, use a new ball. but for all else the old ones last quite a while with a little love