Which squash racquet ?

Stephen So

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
models in mind:
Head Pyramid Power 120g
Head Pyramid Power 150g
Prince Extender OS Featherlite
Prince Extender OS Bigboy
Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer

Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
Thanks in advance.

Earl Christie

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Stephen So wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
> models in mind:
> Head Pyramid Power 120g
Unless you are a small child, I think this racquet will be too light and
with that - less robust...you just can never make wall contact!

> Head Pyramid Power 150g
This one may be acceptable. I have not had much luck with Head racquets
in general - broken several more sturdy models after only light contact
with wall.

> Prince Extender OS Featherlite
I have been using the Prince OS series for a while - very durable! very
playable, all around good racquet. Never seriously used anything below
170g - you may want to watch these ultra lights, they will affect your
game - swing, joints control...you get the picture!

> Prince Extender OS Bigboy
This is one of the widest racquets made! You will get a lot of power
from it at the expense of control - I bet you will never find a pro with
one this big.

> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer
Wilson squash racquets are not available in the U.S as far as I know!

--
Earl.
------------------------------

Asad Ali Zaidi

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Excerpts from netnews.rec.sport.squash: 20-Aug-96 Which squash racquet ?
by Stephen S...@rta.nsw.gov.a
> I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
> models in mind:

> Head Pyramid Power 120g
> Head Pyramid Power 150g

A racket which is too light can be to your disadvantage. You tend not
to swing with proper control and power. I have not played extensively
with the 120g and 150g, but I CAN say that the 180g is a very good
racket. Good balance, power and accuracy. I have a friend (who plays
extremely well) who uses a 120g. He seems to have no power or control
problems with. It depends on what suits YOU.

> Prince Extender OS Featherlite
> Prince Extender OS Bigboy

The Prince Extender series is one I like. Accurate and adequate enough
power. The Badboy (is it the same as Bigboy) has a very large head and
lots of power. I personally feel it is a beginners racket and would
encourage someone who is serious about his game to buy it.

> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer

Never used, but heard good things about it from a friend.

I hope this helps.

Asad Ali Zaidi

Stephen So

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96
to echr...@nortel.com

Earl Christie wrote:

> Stephen So wrote:
> >
> > I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
> > models in mind:
> > Head Pyramid Power 120g
> Unless you are a small child, I think this racquet will be too light and
> with that - less robust...you just can never make wall contact!
>
> > Head Pyramid Power 150g
> This one may be acceptable. I have not had much luck with Head racquets
> in general - broken several more sturdy models after only light contact
> with wall.
>
> > Prince Extender OS Featherlite
> I have been using the Prince OS series for a while - very durable! very
> playable, all around good racquet. Never seriously used anything below
> 170g - you may want to watch these ultra lights, they will affect your
> game - swing, joints control...you get the picture!
>
> > Prince Extender OS Bigboy
> This is one of the widest racquets made! You will get a lot of power
> from it at the expense of control - I bet you will never find a pro with
> one this big.
>
> > Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer
> Wilson squash racquets are not available in the U.S as far as I know!
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Earl.
> ------------------------------
> e-mail : echr...@nortel.com
> ------------------------------

So what do you ( & others) recommend ?

I currently use a Pro Kennex Regal Plus Lite, which I guess is around
170g - 190g. I did try the Prince Extender OS Featherlite once, and
found it had lots more power but harder to control (drop shots) than my
Pro Kennex, but that's probably because I didn't have enough time to
adjust to it. I guess I can called myself an intermediate and I am
willing to spend up to US$150 for a good racquet (court fees is already
close to US$10 per hr, so most as well invest in a good racquet that
usually last for at least a couple years).

I have another question, do the PROs think the OS racquets gave away too
much control (to gain more power) or it is just as easy to control as
the normal size racquets ?

Earl Christie

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Stephen So wrote:

> Earl Christie wrote:
> >
> > Stephen So wrote:
>>
> So what do you ( & others) recommend ?

I would go with the OS Featherlite. Don't forget string tension also
affects control. Looser - gives more power at the expense of control.

> I currently use a Pro Kennex Regal Plus Lite, which I guess is around
> 170g - 190g. I did try the Prince Extender OS Featherlite once, and
> found it had lots more power but harder to control (drop shots) than my
>

> I have another question, do the PROs think the OS racquets gave away too
> much control (to gain more power) or it is just as easy to control as
> the normal size racquets ?

From the many tournaments I have visited, I have yet to see a pro use an
OS racquet. I think for them, power is not a consideration, I would
think they would be more concerned with accuracy of placement than the
power of the racquet. You can always generate power with head speed and
timing! Good luck in your choice.

rene

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

Stephen So <step...@rta.nsw.gov.au> wrote:

>I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
>models in mind:
> Head Pyramid Power 120g

> Head Pyramid Power 150g
> Prince Extender OS Featherlite so-so
> Prince Extender OS Bigboy great Racket
> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer excellent Price/quality mix

>Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
>Thanks in advance.

best racket at present : Prince Extender Elite II (my opionion of
course)

regards,

Garry manning

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Thwrene () wrote:

>Stephen So <step...@rta.nsw.gov.au> wrote:

>>I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
>>models in mind:
>> Head Pyramid Power 120g
>> Head Pyramid Power 150g
>> Prince Extender OS Featherlite so-so
>> Prince Extender OS Bigboy great Racket
>> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer excellent Price/quality mix

>>Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
>>Thanks in advance.

The Sledge Hammer is extermly light, its like playing with a badminton
racquet. I hated it. I like to feel a bit of weight to a racquet. I'd
go with the Prince's

Garry
mann...@netcom.ca

Harmon Pierce

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

By not including Dunlop/Slazenger in your search, you may be eliminating some of the best raquets out there...

Test out the Dunlop MAX Longbow (140g)

-Harmon

Joao Neves

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

Garry manning wrote:

> Thwrene () wrote:
>
> >Stephen So <step...@rta.nsw.gov.au> wrote:
>
> >>I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
> >>models in mind:
> >> Head Pyramid Power 120g
> >> Head Pyramid Power 150g
> >> Prince Extender OS Featherlite so-so
> >> Prince Extender OS Bigboy great Racket
> >> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer excellent Price/quality mix
>
> >>Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
> >>Thanks in advance.
>
> The Sledge Hammer is extermly light, its like playing with a badminton
> racquet. I hated it. I like to feel a bit of weight to a racquet. I'd
> go with the Prince's
>
> Garry
> mann...@netcom.ca
> >best racket at present : Prince Extender Elite II (my opionion of
> >course)
>
> >regards,

Hi,

I used to play with an excelent racket, the Prince Vortex, unfortunately
is broken (if you can, buy one).

After that I buyed and play with two great rackets: the Head Pyramid
Power 120g and the 150g. Normally my choice is the 150g.

Regards,
Joao

--
Joao Neves Tel. +351 2 2094205
INESC-Porto Fax +351 2 2084172

Stephen So

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

> >>I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
> >>models in mind:
> >> Head Pyramid Power 120g
> >> Head Pyramid Power 150g
> >> Prince Extender OS Featherlite so-so
> >> Prince Extender OS Bigboy great Racket
> >> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer excellent Price/quality mix
>
> >>Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
> >>Thanks in advance.

I originally posted the above message. I got a few responses by email &
news, thank you all for your efforts. Unfortunately, my mate bought the
racquet for me before I could sorted out the opinions.

Anyway, I bought the Head's Pyramid Power 120g, and the Prince's
Extender OS Bigboy. As I few of you had suggested those
light/ultra-light racquets are really too like, I DIDN'T LIKE the Head
120g AT ALL. It is too light and just didn't feel right during the game.
So I will recommend against buying it, unless you are really weak &
can't generate power through your swing. The other thing I didn't like
about the Head is that the racquet's frame is fully exposed, i.e. not
even a plastic protectot strip to reduce scratching/impacts on the wall.

I like the Prince BigBoy. It is very powerful and feel very good at
175g. It obviously takes a lot more practice to do the drop-shots as a
few peole had pointed out with those over-sized racquets. So for all the
newcomers, beware about those light racquets under 150g, think twice or
try them out before buying one.

PS: if you think the Sledge Hammer is like a badminton racquet. The Head
120g is even much lighter than that. I got suck in because it is
probably the lightest racquet one could buy at the moment !

Ward Yaternik

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

In article <32378B...@rta.nsw.gov.au>,
I too got drawn into the "lighter is better" racket (pardon the pun).

My shoulder was sore so I went and bought the lightest one I could. I even was
allowed to try it out before buying it and still I liked it.

But then I got used to it and realized the calibre of my game dropped
significantly. But at least my shoulder is better.

But I couldn't get any accuracy on drop shots or light shots. The racquet
bounces back when it impacts the ball.

So I just recently 'duck-taped' as heavy washer to the stem of the racquet
where it meets the head of the racquet. Things are better now and I look
really cool on the court. I get a little soreness of the shoulder, but ...
hey, live and learn. I'm not about to pop another $120 on a racquet until
this one breaks.

patlon

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96
to hapi...@hapster.rchland.ibm.com

Try 'Keencraft Classics' developed by Pendee Research & Development, it's
feeling is superb. You can have perfect control to the ball. And their
smash grip is also very unique. Price is right and cheaper than those of
Prince, Dunlop or Head. Try it and you'll like it. Patrick Lon

mr.naum...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2015, 10:09:44 AM10/31/15
On Tuesday, August 20, 1996 at 12:00:00 PM UTC+5, Stephen So wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a new squash racquet, and have the following
> models in mind:
> Head Pyramid Power 120g
> Head Pyramid Power 150g
> Prince Extender OS Featherlite
> Prince Extender OS Bigboy
> Wilson Profile Sledge Hammer
>
> Does anyone have any experience or advice with the above models?
> Thanks in advance.

Head Pyramid Power...by far the best in every way !

buff...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2016, 6:20:21 AM1/11/16

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=1920s+cartoon+character+smokey&espv=2&biw=1126&bih=921&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQiOr1z6HKAhWCNJQKHUMKAqIQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=1920s+cartoon+character+smokey+stover&imgrc=AR7fAC6MbRycjM%3A