Today's Trivia

53 views
Skip to first unread message

Al Kamista

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 1:53:03 PMOct 20
to
Which prominent European club has first team squad players from 4 of the 5 former Yugoslavian countries (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia).

There are probably more clubs, but this one is likely the most prominent.

Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 2:25:12 PMOct 20
to
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 1:53:03 PM UTC-4, alka... wrote:
> Which prominent European club has first team squad players from 4 of the 5 former Yugoslavian countries (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia).
>
> There are probably more clubs, but this one is likely the most prominent.

Without looking it up, Inter has Brozovic (CRO), Handanovic (SVN), and Dzeko (BOS)...do they also have a Serb?

Real Mardin

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 3:44:51 PMOct 20
to
*With* looking it up (sorry if it's not in the spirit of the thread but curiosity got the better of me) - yes, they do have a Serb - one Aleksandar Kolarov.

RM

Werner Pichler

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 4:25:55 PMOct 20
to
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 7:53:03 PM UTC+2, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Which prominent European club has first team squad players from 4 of the 5 former Yugoslavian countries (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia).

There are 7 (UEFA count) former Yugoslavian countries...

> There are probably more clubs, but this one is likely the most prominent.

Atlético have Oblak, Savić, Vrsaljko, and a Serbian striker that never plays.

Ciao,
Werner

MH

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 5:06:56 PMOct 20
to
Lazio has 4 as well. MNE, SRB, Kosovo, Croatia - and two Albanians on
top of that.

Which team outside of the former USSR has players from the largest
number of former soviet republics, though ?

Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 5:15:13 PMOct 20
to
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 5:06:56 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:
> On 2021-10-20 14:25, Werner Pichler wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 7:53:03 PM UTC+2, alka... wrote:
> >> Which prominent European club has first team squad players from 4 of the 5 former Yugoslavian countries (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia).

> Which team outside of the former USSR has players from the largest
> number of former soviet republics, though ?

Atalanta has two: Miranchuk(RUS) and Malinovskyi (UKR)
Roma also two, but a bit more exotic: Mkhitaryan (ARM) and Shomurodov (UZB)

There must be someone out there with three?

Werner Pichler

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 5:30:51 PMOct 20
to
Haven't found one. Very few Russians currently ply their trade outside the mother country as
the strict rules on foreign players in the Russian Premier League makes it much more comfy
for them to earn big bucks at home (to the detriment of the RPL's European standing).

But Ferencváros are interesting as they combine both questions - they have a Ukrainian and an Azeri
on their squad, as well as players from Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia.

Ciao,
Werner

MH

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 5:40:11 PMOct 20
to
Sheriff Tiraspol would not count for my question, but they do have 4 ex
Jugos (BIH, MKD, SVN, SRB) as well as Moldovan and Uzbek players.

Malmö have 6 players from former Yugoslav republics, including from 5
different countries (MKD, CRO, SRB, BIH, KVX)
>
> Ciao,
> Werner
>

Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 6:08:37 PMOct 20
to
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 5:30:51 PM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
> Haven't found one. Very few Russians currently ply their trade outside the mother country as
> the strict rules on foreign players in the Russian Premier League makes it much more comfy
> for them to earn big bucks at home (to the detriment of the RPL's European standing).
>

There are four or five teams in the Polish Ekstraklasa with two nationalities (including interesting combinations of Latvians and Azeris), but none with 3.


Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 6:15:03 PMOct 20
to
On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 6:08:37 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> There are four or five teams in the Polish Ekstraklasa with two nationalities (including interesting combinations of Latvians and Azeris), but none with 3.

Our good old friends from Jaro also belong to the 2-FSR club: Savchenko (UKR) and Gulbis (LVA). Not the same as The Bull, though (didn't we also buy some Russian superstar at the time?)


Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 6:25:06 PMOct 20
to
Found one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFC_Lokomotiv_Plovdiv#First-team_squad

Ukraine, Moldova and Tajikistan!

Werner Pichler

unread,
Oct 20, 2021, 6:28:35 PMOct 20
to
Beat me to a Hungarian example!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mez%C5%91k%C3%B6vesdi_SE
They currently sit in 8th in the Nemzeti Bajnokság and have a Belarusian, a Georgian, and a Ukrainian (ethnic Hungarian, double nationality)

Ciao,
Werner

Mark

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 7:38:15 AMOct 21
to
I thought it was more than 5 aswell: Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montonegro; and Kosovo? Would that be correct?

And now MH has brought it up, how many former USSR countries are there? Is it 15?

Al Kamista

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 8:15:45 AMOct 21
to
Correct. Also Perisic from Croatia.

But to Werner's point, didn't know there were 7 former Yugo nations. Who are the other two? Guessing Kosovo is one.

Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 11:34:51 AMOct 21
to
On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 8:15:45 AM UTC-4, alka... wrote:

> But to Werner's point, didn't know there were 7 former Yugo nations. Who are the other two? Guessing Kosovo is one.

North Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo.

Futbolmetrix

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 11:40:05 AMOct 21
to
On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 7:38:15 AM UTC-4, Mark wrote:

> And now MH has brought it up, how many former USSR countries are there? Is it 15?

Yes, 15. I once could list them by heart.

Russia
Ukraine
Belarus
Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia
Moldova
Georgia
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
...
and Kyrgyzstan which I had to look up

Al Kamista

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 12:57:03 PMOct 21
to
Incredibly disappointing output from this bunch on the global national team stage.

Pales in comparison to little Croatia who have made one WC final and one semifinal in their ~30 year history.

Also an honorable mention for Serbia and Bosnia, who while have not done much as NTs, have produced some pretty damn good players over the years.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages