Scotland - Israel [R] WCQ

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:08:06 PM10/9/21
Anyone else watching or interested? Incredible free kick from Zahavi to put Israel 1-0 up, right into the top corner. 7 minutes played so far.

RM

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:13:41 PM10/9/21
On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 5:08:06 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
> Anyone else watching or interested? Incredible free kick from Zahavi to put Israel 1-0 up, right into the top corner. 7 minutes played so far.
>
> RM

It was a good atmosphere at Hampden before the goal but am I the only one who sees all those people huddled together singing and shouting in each other’s faces and thinks it looks a Covid transmission horror story? I know most people are vaccinated now but the Delta variant can evade the vaccine like Zahavi evading the Scots defence and leave people with long Covid.

RM

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:31:27 PM10/9/21
1-1! Beautiful build up play from Scotland leaves McGinn just inside the area and he placed his shot beautifully to equalise!

RM

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:34:18 PM10/9/21
But Israel answer straight away! Another free kick, floated in this time, the ball plays pin ball in the box leaving Dabbur a simple tap in to put Israel 2-1 up! 33 minutes played.

RM

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:44:41 PM10/9/21
Penalty to Scotland! Sliding challenge just inside the area takes Gilmore out! Yellow card for the Israeli captain!

RM

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:46:40 PM10/9/21
Dykes takes the penalty for Scotland.........and hits it.............straight at the keeper! Israeli keeper Marciano saves with his legs to deny Scotland an equaliser!

RM

Real Mardin

Oct 9, 2021, 12:51:10 PM10/9/21
Halftime score : Scotland 1 - Israel 2. Hampden Park very subdued now.

Guys, I have to go for my dinner now and for some strange reason my i-pad has stopped letting me post to google groups so I think that's all the live commentary from me, if anyone is out there and wants to pick up the play by play please feel free to do so.

RM

Futbolmetrix

Oct 9, 2021, 12:58:04 PM10/9/21
On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 12:34:18 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

> But Israel answer straight away! Another free kick, floated in this time, the ball plays pin ball in the box leaving Dabbur a simple tap in to put Israel 2-1 up! 33 minutes played.

I was surprised VAR didn't call this off. There were questions about the position of the player who first headed the ball, the ball hitting Dor Peretz's arm (attached to the body and in a natural position, but I thought this wasn't relevant any more), and the position of the player next to the goalie on Dabbur's shot, who was potentially interfering with play.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 9, 2021, 1:01:37 PM10/9/21
On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 12:51:10 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:
> Halftime score : Scotland 1 - Israel 2. Hampden Park very subdued now.
>
> Guys, I have to go for my dinner now and for some strange reason my i-pad has stopped letting me post to google groups so I think that's all the live commentary from me, if anyone is out there and wants to pick up the play by play please feel free to do so.

Israel and Scotland have both an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so far Scotland seems to have the upper hand in ineptitude, but they are putting the Israeli defense under a lot of pressure, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least equalize.

Dabbur seemed to have pulled a muscle on the very last ball of the half. He will probably get subbed.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 9, 2021, 1:33:49 PM10/9/21
Dabbur stayed on, but Israel couldn't match Scotland's intensity at the beginning of the second half, and Lyndon Dykes equalized after a sustained spell of Scottish pressure. Goal was initially disallowed for dangerous play, but VAR let it stand. Zahavi came close to putting Israel back in front, but his header was not angled enough. Then Dykes came close to making it 3-2.

Disallowed goal for Scotland, not too many complaints.

15 minutes left, still 2-2

MH

Oct 9, 2021, 2:11:06 PM10/9/21
For sure. I squirm too. There may have been 100,000 at the azteca for
Mexico - Canada on Thursday (it looked full, but that might not be
true), and it just seemed so wrong.

> RM

Futbolmetrix

Oct 9, 2021, 2:13:47 PM10/9/21
and...Scotland win it in the 93rd. The 15th inswinging corner by McGinn to the far post finally catches the Israeli defense napping, and McTominay is there to bundle it in.

FT 3-2

Scotland almost guaranteed of second place in the group, at this point.

MH

Oct 9, 2021, 2:23:39 PM10/9/21
Don't count on it. They could yet drop points in the Faroes or Moldova.
This is Scotland after all. Also possible that Denmarks gets complacent
and loses to Austria, making the Israel Austria game hugely important.
Israel has the two minnows at home, Scotland has them away.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 9, 2021, 2:29:41 PM10/9/21
On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 2:23:39 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:

> > Scotland almost guaranteed of second place in the group, at this point.
> >
> Don't count on it. They could yet drop points in the Faroes or Moldova.
> This is Scotland after all. Also possible that Denmarks gets complacent
> and loses to Austria, making the Israel Austria game hugely important.
> Israel has the two minnows at home, Scotland has them away.

Even for Scotland, this is too much.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 12, 2021, 4:36:13 PM10/12/21
On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 2:29:41 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Even for Scotland, this is too much.

They *almost* managed to drop points to the Faroes, but an 86th minute winner by Lyndon Dikes makes their second place basically unassailable.

MH

Oct 12, 2021, 4:52:04 PM10/12/21
Israel's remaining two games are both pretty winnable, so they would be
on 19 points (Scotland on 17 right now). Austria have nothing left to
play for and will get a crack at qualifying through the Nations' league
route, so they might not be all that difficult an obstacle.

Denmark show no signs of letting up, and I would not put much money on
Scotland even getting a draw against them at Hampden. So Moldova away is
a must win - and prime choking territory for Scotland.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 12, 2021, 5:11:51 PM10/12/21
On 2021-10-09, Real Mardin <real_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Halftime score : Scotland 1 - Israel 2. Hampden Park very subdued now.
>
> Guys, I have to go for my dinner now and for some strange reason my
> i-pad has stopped letting me post to google groups

It's by design, for uhm reasons:
https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2020/08/improved-mobile-interface-for-new-groups.html

Futbolmetrix

Oct 12, 2021, 5:22:20 PM10/12/21
On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:52:04 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:

> Israel's remaining two games are both pretty winnable, so they would be
> on 19 points (Scotland on 17 right now). Austria have nothing left to
> play for and will get a crack at qualifying through the Nations' league
> route, so they might not be all that difficult an obstacle.
>
> Denmark show no signs of letting up, and I would not put much money on
> Scotland even getting a draw against them at Hampden. So Moldova away is
> a must win - and prime choking territory for Scotland.

Crafty, but "would not put much money" on Scotland getting a point at Hampden against already qualified Denmark is a little bit too blatant. 7 out of 10.

MH

Oct 12, 2021, 5:32:46 PM10/12/21
This is a team that has not conceded a goal yet, and can leave pretty
darn good players on the bench (eg. Dolberg today).

7 out of 10.

Bruce Scott

Oct 21, 2021, 8:42:58 AM10/21/21
Point well taken. I will believe if they don't trip up in the
Faroes. I've seen this film before.

Thanks to Real Mardin for the 1st half reports!

--
ciao, Bruce

Bruce Scott

Oct 21, 2021, 8:44:06 AM10/21/21
Sheesh! I didn't know this already happened!

ciao, Bruce