Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

Euro 2024 Qualifying thread [R]

Real Mardin

Mar 22, 2023, 6:36:27 PM3/22/23
It seems to have flown under the radar in rss, but the Euro 2024 qualifiers get under way tomorrow (23rd March) when Kazakhstan host Slovenia in group H.

The qualifiers have also somewhat flown under the radar in the UK, perhaps because the broadcasting rights now belong to Viaplay. Now, if you live in Scandinavia Viaplay is no doubt a very well known name to you, but in the UK Viaplay is a newcomer who recently bought out the Premier Sport range of channels. According to Barb Audiences, Viaplay Sports currently has 0.03% of the UK's monthly viewing. By contrast the previous rights holder Sky Sports has a monthly share of 2.15%, Channel 4 (who will be broadcasting the England games) has a monthly share of 4.71% and the state broadcaster the BBC enjoys 32.88% of all monthly viewing. You can see the dilemma in terms of raising the profile of the qualifying tournament. It looks like some matches will be broadcast on Viaplay's free to air channel Viaplay Xtra (formerly Freesports) with the first match being Portugal - Liechtenstein in Group J.

Minus a Viaplay subscription, my viewing will be limited to games on the aforementioned free to air channel, England matches on Channel 4, Wales matches on S4C and possibly Turkey matches on TRT. Wherever you are I hope you get to enjoy a wider range of viewing.

Selected games from the first round of qualifiers:

Italy - England 23/3 Group C

Denmark - Finland 23/3 Group H

Sweden - Belgium 24/4 Group F

France - Netherlands 24/4 Group B

Armenia - Turkey 25/3 Group D

Croatia - Wales 25/3 Group D

Spain - Norway 25/3 Group A

RM

Real Mardin

Mar 23, 2023, 6:31:53 PM3/23/23
23/3 FT:

Group C:

Italy 1 - England 2 (Harry Kane becomes England's top scorer with 54 goals.)

North Macedonia 2 - Malta 1

Group H:

Kazakhstan 1 - Slovenia 2

Denmark 3 - Finland 1 (Rasmus Hojlund hat trick)

San Marino 0 - Northern Ireland 2 (two goals from Dion Charles)

Group J:

Portugal 4 - Liechtenstein 0

Bosnia 3 - Iceland 0

Slovakia 0 - Luxembourg 0

RM

Futbolmetrix

Mar 23, 2023, 6:45:22 PM3/23/23
On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 6:31:53 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:
> 23/3 FT:
>
> Group C:
>
> Italy 1 - England 2 (Harry Kane becomes England's top scorer with 54 goals.)

Nice, but still a long way to go before reaching...

> Portugal 4 - Liechtenstein 0

...Cristiano Ronaldo, who further pads his stats with a brace against Liechtenstein.

Ammammata

Mar 24, 2023, 3:37:23 AM3/24/23
Futbolmetrix pretended :
> Italy

the Italian record stands since 1973, that's almost 50 years old

https://web.archive.org/web/20160308034611/http://scoreshelf.com/gjbb/en/Italy/1974fwcITA_v_SUI

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Real Mardin

Mar 24, 2023, 3:02:06 PM3/24/23
Group G:

Bulgaria 0 - Montenegro 1

RM

Binder Dundat

Mar 24, 2023, 5:14:31 PM3/24/23
We are already projecting FRANCE to win EURO 24.

Real Mardin

Mar 24, 2023, 5:44:12 PM3/24/23
On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 9:14:31 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
> We are already projecting FRANCE to win EURO 24.

Yes, our sources confirm this is correct, with the super computer predicting a France - England final.

RM

MH

Mar 24, 2023, 5:52:56 PM3/24/23
Not so fast - Lukaku is back ! 3 goals away to Sweden. I don't think
he scored any in 2022 for Belgium.

Austria and Czechia off to good starts, though the former had an
eminently beatable opponent. A little surprising to see the Czechs
(most of them far from household names) dispose of Poland that easily
(or at least the score suggests that - I did not see the game)

I am most curious to see how Spain do, since the new coach has done a
lot of chopping and changing.

Real Mardin

Mar 24, 2023, 6:01:13 PM3/24/23
24/3 FT:

Group B:

France 4 - Netherlands 0

Gibraltar 0 - Greece 3

Group E:

Czech Republic 3 - Poland 1

Moldova 1 - Faroe Islands 1

Group F:

Austria 4 - Azerbaijan 1

Sweden 0 - Belgium 3 (Lukaku hat trick)

Group G:

Bulgaria 0 - Montenegro 1

Serbia 2 - Lithuania 0 (Tadic and Vlahovic for Serbia)

RM

anders t

Mar 25, 2023, 3:58:46 AM3/25/23
Quoting MH in rec.sport.soccer:
>Not so fast - Lukaku is back ! 3 goals away to Sweden. I don't think
>he scored any in 2022 for Belgium.

Belgium were bad. But we were awful.
We're truly a C-nation now.

--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

Real Mardin

Mar 25, 2023, 10:59:57 AM3/25/23
Group A HT:

Scotland 1 - Cyprus 0

Scotland looking good value for their lead. The goal came on 21 minutes when Robertson's cross from the left took a deflection off a Cypriot defender and fell perfectly for McGinn to finish at the far post. Cyprus look content to sit back and try to create something on the break, not sure how viable that's going to be the longer Scotland keep their lead.

The Scotland kit looks like a retro one with minimal trim (just navy with a round white collar as far as I can tell). It's apparently a special kit for the 150th anniversary of the SFA.

RM

Real Mardin

Mar 25, 2023, 12:03:51 PM3/25/23
FT:

Scotland 3 - Cyprus 0

Just as it looked like Scotland were struggling to "close the deal" McTominay pops up with goals in the 87th and 93rd minutes. Scotland's third was a well worked team goal.

Cyprus stuck with the counter attacking game plan for too long and never really looked like scoring.

RM

Binder Dundat

Mar 25, 2023, 12:29:14 PM3/25/23
On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 6:36:27 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:
> It seems to have flown under the radar in rss, but the Euro 2024 qualifiers get under way tomorrow (23rd March) when Kazakhstan host Slovenia in group H.

It flew under the radar for me to the extent that I thought the game between Ireland and Latvia was a qualifier. Which lead me to check the groups and discover that the DFB decided to withdraw the German national team from competing in this Euro, understandable after recent performances, until further research revealed they are hosting the thing.

> The qualifiers have also somewhat flown under the radar in the UK, perhaps because the broadcasting rights now belong to Viaplay. Now, if you live in Scandinavia Viaplay is no doubt a very well known name to you, but in the UK Viaplay is a newcomer who recently bought out the Premier Sport range of channels. According to Barb Audiences, Viaplay Sports currently has 0.03% of the UK's monthly viewing. By contrast the previous rights holder Sky Sports has a monthly share of 2.15%, Channel 4 (who will be broadcasting the England games) has a monthly share of 4.71% and the state broadcaster the BBC enjoys 32.88% of all monthly viewing. You can see the dilemma in terms of raising the profile of the qualifying tournament. It looks like some matches will be broadcast on Viaplay's free to air channel Viaplay Xtra (formerly Freesports) with the first match being Portugal - Liechtenstein in Group J.

Dazn have the rights here, but the service has gone downhill, now it is littered with ads. you cant switch between matches without minutes of ads and this is for apaid service.

> Minus a Viaplay subscription, my viewing will be limited to games on the aforementioned free to air channel, England matches on Channel 4, Wales matches on S4C and possibly Turkey matches on TRT. Wherever you are I hope you get to enjoy a wider range of viewing.
>
> Selected games from the first roiund of qualifiers:
>

> Italy - England 23/3 Group C
>
> Denmark - Finland 23/3 Group H
>
> Sweden - Belgium 24/4 Group F
>
> France - Netherlands 24/4 Group B
>
> Armenia - Turkey 25/3 Group D
>
> Croatia - Wales 25/3 Group D
>
> Spain - Norway 25/3 Group A

Can Haaland defeat Spain?

> RM

MH

Mar 25, 2023, 1:05:28 PM3/25/23
This an interesting and dangerous group. Spain with a new coach and a
lot of new (and some very old like Aspas) faces. Will they settle in
fast enough or could they drop a few points early on ? Then there are
Norway with some genuine stars in Haaland and Ødegaard and Georgia with
their own superstar. I am pessimistic about Scotland's chances of
qualifying here, but at least they get another crack at it through the
Nations' League.

> RM

Real Mardin

Mar 25, 2023, 2:01:44 PM3/25/23
Group D HT:

Armenia 1 - Turkey 1

This started badly for Turkey with Ozan Kabak , on his birthday no less, turning in a deep cross into his own net to put Armenia ahead. In all honesty I wonder would the Armenian player at the far post have tapped the ball in anyway, but still poor form.

However, Turkey grew into the game enjoying more attacking possession and found the equaliser with a low shot from outside the area from Orkun Kokcu (who apparently scores all his goals from outside the area). Turkey are racking up the yellow cards with three so far, whether that will make a difference time will tell.

Bit of an odd pairing, these two nations. I'm not overly a fan of the way UEFA segregates certain nations due to political sensitivities, but if that's the policy then two nations who won't enter into diplomatic relations with each other with a well documented history of enmity would seem to be obvious candidates for segregation.

RM

Binder Dundat

Mar 25, 2023, 2:03:19 PM3/25/23
I find it interesting that belarus is involved in qualifying

Binder Dundat

Mar 25, 2023, 2:13:48 PM3/25/23
i also find it interesting that israel is playing at home on the sabbathi also find it interesting that israel is playing at home on the sabbath

Binder Dundat

Mar 25, 2023, 2:29:36 PM3/25/23
i guess it is saturday night now in israel. Turkei leading 2-1 now.

Real Mardin

Mar 25, 2023, 3:06:24 PM3/25/23
FT:

Armenia 1 -Turkey 2

Turkey caught Armenia sleeping when a free kick on the half way line was played low for Kerem Akturkoglu to run onto, he was left one on one and put the ball past the keeper. A simpler goal you won’t see.

Armenia had their chances and might have got something out of the game if Haroyan had scored after a wonder run or if the Turkish keeper Mert hadn’t made a decent save in the second half.

RM

Real Mardin

Mar 25, 2023, 6:00:08 PM3/25/23
25/3 FT:

Group A:

Scotland 3 - Cyprus 0

Spain 3 - Norway 0 (Haaland didn't play, two goals in the last 10 minutes from Joselu)

Group D:

Armenia 1 - Turkey 2 (nice little Soviet era stadium with a running track, albeit someone decided to cover it up)

Croatia 1 - Wales 1 (nice communist era stadium with a running track, uncovered this time - bliss!)

This was all Croatia, who looked embarrassingly better than Wales until an injury time long throw was headed on for Nathan Broadhead to tap in at the far post for an unlikely equaliser.

Group I:

Israel 1 - Kosovo 1

Andorra 0 - Romania 2

Belarus 0 - Switzerland 5 (cheers from those who think Belarus shouldn't be allowed to compete)

RM

Real Mardin

Mar 26, 2023, 11:30:02 AM3/26/23
Group H FT:

Kazakhstan 3 - Denmark 2

Yes, Kazakhstan THREE Denmark TWO.

I'm afraid I didn't have the opportunity to watch this, but just looking at the overview a first half brace from Rasmus Hojlund put Denmark 2-0 up. Kazakhstan pulled a goal back with a 73rd minute penalty from Zaynutdinov, equalised with Tagybergen on 86 minutes, before Aimbetov got the winner in the 89th. Denmark bossed possession but shots were equal.

Sounds a crazy game, did any of you get to watch it? Jesper?

RM

Binder Dundat

Mar 26, 2023, 2:48:07 PM3/26/23
I didnt even know it was on....and we projected Denmanrk to win the lawt Euro, but wee been drinkin, its sptring anf we got a nre polish girlfriend

Binder Dundat

Mar 26, 2023, 2:50:09 PM3/26/23
I am wathing the Porto game to see if Ronaldo scores his 200the goal or whatever numbner he is at?

Binder Dundat

Mar 26, 2023, 3:32:21 PM3/26/23
On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 2:50:09 p.m. UTC-4, Binder Dundat wrote:
> I am wathing the Porto game to see if Ronaldo scores his 200the goal or whatever numbner he is at?
> On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 11:30:02 a.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

Not only did he score his 200th, he scored his 250th in this game!

Real Mardin

Mar 26, 2023, 5:23:00 PM3/26/23
26/3 FT:

Group C:

England 2 - Ukraine 0 (so boring)

Malta 0 - Italy 2

Group H:

Kazakhstan 3 - Denmark 2 (!!!)

Northern Ireland 0 - Finland 1

Slovenia 2 - San Marino 0

Group J:

Luxembourg 0 - Portugal 6

Liechtenstein 0 - Iceland 7

Slovakia 2 - Bosnia 0

RM

LedZep IgaSwanTech

Mar 27, 2023, 4:28:53 PM3/27/23
On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 4:23:00 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
> 26/3 FT:
>

> Group C:
>
> England 2 - Ukraine 0 (so boring)
>
> Malta 0 - Italy 2
>

> Group H:
>
> Kazakhstan 3 - Denmark 2 (!!!)

I saw this. The coach needs to be fired. They were 2-0 up and things were getting dicey and he makes 4 subs at the same time! WTF!!! This is not a friendly.

anders t

Mar 27, 2023, 4:36:33 PM3/27/23
Have a look at Sweden's 4-0 by Jesper Karlsson if you can.

Who da fcuk is Messi? C-Ron? Beckham?

anders t

Mar 27, 2023, 4:38:18 PM3/27/23
Quoting anders t in rec.sport.soccer:
>Have a look at Sweden's 4-0 by Jesper Karlsson if you can.
>
>Who da fcuk is Messi? C-Ron? Beckham?

That said, this (#SWEAZE) was a lot closer than the final 5-0 tells.

Real Mardin

Mar 27, 2023, 4:42:09 PM3/27/23
On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 9:36:33 PM UTC+1, anders t wrote:
> Have a look at Sweden's 4-0 by Jesper Karlsson if you can.

It was a great free kick.

RM

anders t

Mar 27, 2023, 4:54:01 PM3/27/23
Quoting anders t in rec.sport.soccer:
>Have a look at Sweden's 4-0 by Jesper Karlsson if you can.

https://twitter.com/SwedeStats/status/1640452031994363905

Real Mardin

Mar 27, 2023, 4:54:44 PM3/27/23

27/3 FT:

Group B:

Republic of Ireland 0 - France 1

Netherlands 3 - Gibraltar 0

Group E:

Moldova 0 - Czechia 0

Poland 1 - Albania 0

Group F:

Austria 2 - Estonia 1

Sweden 5 - Azerbaijan 0

Group G:

Montenegro 0 - Serbia 2 (Dusan Vlahovic with two)

Hungary 3 - Bulgaria 0

RM

MH

Mar 28, 2023, 3:50:50 PM3/28/23
On 2023-03-22 16:36, Real Mardin wrote:
> It seems to have flown under the radar in rss, but the Euro 2024 qualifiers get under way tomorrow (23rd March) when Kazakhstan host Slovenia in group H.
>
> The qualifiers have also somewhat flown under the radar in the UK, perhaps because the broadcasting rights now belong to Viaplay. Now, if you live in Scandinavia Viaplay is no doubt a very well known name to you, but in the UK Viaplay is a newcomer who recently bought out the Premier Sport range of channels. According to Barb Audiences, Viaplay Sports currently has 0.03% of the UK's monthly viewing. By contrast the previous rights holder Sky Sports has a monthly share of 2.15%, Channel 4 (who will be broadcasting the England games) has a monthly share of 4.71% and the state broadcaster the BBC enjoys 32.88% of all monthly viewing. You can see the dilemma in terms of raising the profile of the qualifying tournament. It looks like some matches will be broadcast on Viaplay's free to air channel Viaplay Xtra (formerly Freesports) with the first match being Portugal - Liechtenstein in Group J.
>
> Minus a Viaplay subscription, my viewing will be limited to games on the aforementioned free to air channel, England matches on Channel 4, Wales matches on S4C and possibly Turkey matches on TRT. Wherever you are I hope you get to enjoy a wider range of viewing.
>
> Selected games from the first round of qualifiers:
>

> Italy - England 23/3 Group C
>
> Denmark - Finland 23/3 Group H
>
> Sweden - Belgium 24/4 Group F
>
> France - Netherlands 24/4 Group B
>
> Armenia - Turkey 25/3 Group D
>
> Croatia - Wales 25/3 Group D
>
> Spain - Norway 25/3 Group A
>

> RM

Watching Scotland Spain right now.

Spain have changed 8 out of 11 of their starting lineup from the Norway
game. They have been much the better team so far (HT right now), with
Ceballos in particular looking impressive. A very different type of
SPain - much feistier and more aggressive, and not much tikki-takka. A
slip from Porro (isn't that slang for a reefer or muggle ?) gave
Scotland an early opportunity which McTominay put away via a deflection,
so suprisingly the score is 1-0. It will not stay that way. Spain
have already hit the bar and missed some good chances. Scotland on a
couple of yellows as well. Dykes should have made it 2-0 on a breakway,
but under pressure from Garcia he clipped it over.

Will probably end 1-3 or something like that. It has been quite an ill
tempered game so far.

Elsewhere Georgia 1-1 Norway FT- which could end up being a very good
or very bad result for Scotland.

Switzerland 1-0 ISrael
Wales 1-0 Latvia
Turkey 0-2 Croatia
Romania 2-0 Belarus
Kosovo 0-0 Andorra

All HT scores

Real Mardin

Mar 28, 2023, 5:10:53 PM3/28/23

28/3 FT:

Group A:

Scotland 2 - Spain 0

What a result! Two goals from McTominay again. Well done Scotland - top of the group!

Georgia 1 - Norway 1

Group D:

Turkey 0 - Croatia 2

It felt like I'd watched this match many times before. Turkey enjoyed all the attacking play and were being praised by the Viaplay Xtra commentator, then Croatia hit the counter attack out of nowhere and score with their first attack of the game. Another counter attack in first half injury time, aided by some soft goal keeping (softly palming away a shot into the path of the attacking player) gave Croatia a two goal lead. Both goals from Mateo Kovacic. Whilst Turkey continued to attack in the second half Croatia looked comfortable containing them. If Turkey are to ever take the next step up they need to find a way of consistently turning chances into goals.

Wales 1 - Latvia 0

Group I:

Kosovo 1 - Andorra 1

Stats wise it sounds like this was all Kosovo with them enjoying three times as much possession and shots than Andorra, but Andorra were equal where it mattered.

Switzerland 3 - Israel 0

Second defeat for Israel.

Romania 2 - Belarus 1

RM

MH

Mar 28, 2023, 5:40:55 PM3/28/23
On 2023-03-28 15:10, Real Mardin wrote:

> 28/3 FT:
>

> Group A:
>
> Scotland 2 - Spain 0
>
> What a result! Two goals from McTominay again. Well done Scotland - top of the group!

Gutsy performance with Scotland who had a lot of players go off injured.
But the goals came from errors at right back by Spain, first Porro who
slipped to let Robertson, then his replacement Carvajal who put in a
half-hearted attempt to brush of Tierny and was shown a clean pair of
heels. Spain still the better team but frustrated and lacking cohesion,
and much chippier than usual. Good sportsmanship was not much in
evidence in this game from either side

Scotland went into these games with 3 uncapped GKs, and Gunn was given
the job. I wonder who was the last Scotland GK to manage clean sheets
in his first two appearances?

Real Mardin

Jun 15, 2023, 5:40:56 PM6/15/23
Just when you thought European football was done for the summer(*) - the Euro 2024 qualifiers return tomorrow at 5pm GMT when Finland host Slovenia in Group H! There are four match days, with games Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday.

UK broadcast rights holder Viaplay are currently doing a special offer on subscriptions - £59 for a whole year - considering a monthly Sky subscription can be more than £59, it seemed rude not to take this up. They also broadcast La Liga and Scottish football and you can watch the selected broadcast game via your Sky box (satellite) or stream any qualifying game online.

Selected fixtures:

16/6:

Greece - Ireland (Group B)

North Macedonia - Ukraine (Group C)

Latvia - Turkey (Group D)

Denmark - Northern Ireland (Group I)

Kosovo - Romania (Group I)

17/6:

Norway - Scotland (Group A)

Belgium - Austria (Group F)

Montenegro - Hungary (Group G)

Luxembourg - Liechtenstein (Group J)

Portugal - Bosnia (Group J)

19/6:

France - Greece (Group B)

Turkey - Wales (Group D)

Slovenia - Denmark (Group H)

Switzerland - Romania (Group I)

20/6:

Austria - Sweden (Group F)

Bulgaria - Serbia (Group G)

Iceland - Portugal (Group J)

(*) - Admittedly the UEFA Nations League is also being played this week, and if you really want to know Croatia beat Netherlands 4-2 AET and Spain beat Italy 2-1 to set up a Croatia v Spain final on Sunday, but being as there isn't even a thread about it on rss, perhaps the less said the better).

RM

Real Mardin

Jun 16, 2023, 6:28:38 PM6/16/23
16/6 FT:

Group B:

Greece 2 - Ireland 1

Gibraltar 0 - France 3

Group C:

Malta 0 - England 4

North Macedonia 2 - Ukraine 3

Group D:

Latvia 2 - Turkey 3

The latest installment in the least likely rivalry in World football produced a 5 goal thriller in a stadium which would be regarded as 5th tier in some countries (the Skonto Stadium has a capacity of 8000 and one end is just a wall over which you can see into a car park). As in their last meeting, Turkey won with an injury time goal. Latvia had their chances to get more out of the game, with Turkey clearing a couple of shots off the line, although to be fair Turkey had what I thought was a fair enough goal ruled out VAR in the first half - Ferdi took the ball past the Latvia defender, who collapsed to the ground, before getting into the area and putting away a nice shot. The replay appeared to show contact between Ferdi's foot and that of the Latvia defender, but I got the impression this was one of those situations where if you replay a scene in slow motion enough times it can sometimes look like something that it isn't.

Wales 2 - Armenia 4

Group H:

Finland 2 - Slovenia 0

Denmark 1 - Northern Ireland 0

San Marino 0 - Kazakhstan 3

Group I

Andorra 1 - Switzerland 2

Belarus 1 - Israel 2

Kosovo 0 - Romania 0

RM

Mark

Jun 17, 2023, 6:07:22 AM6/17/23
On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 11:28:38 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:

> Group H:
>
> Finland 2 - Slovenia 0

:-( What's gone wrong with Slovenia? 20 years ago my 15th favourite national team had a good enough team to qualify for the European Championship and the World Cup, and give the likes of Yugoslavia and Spain a good run for their money. Now they're losing against the likes of Finland! What's gone wrong?

Real Mardin

Jun 17, 2023, 11:10:54 AM6/17/23
FT 17/6:

Luxembourg 2 - Liechtenstein 0

Daniel Sinani tapped in Gerson Rodrigues' low cross over the line for the opener, Rodrigues got the second.

Lithuania 1 - Bulgaria 1

RM

Real Mardin

Jun 17, 2023, 12:54:12 PM6/17/23