Will there be any new teams at the World Cup?

Raja Nadar

Oct 14, 2021, 11:34:58 AMOct 14
Will it be Finland?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Debut_of_teams

Qatar shouldn't count since they did not have to qualify. So far every world cup has had new teams. But this time around, all the top nations are sailing so far in the qualifiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification

North America - The 8 remaining have qualified before (even Canada, Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica and Honduras). Mexico, USA and recently Costa Rica have been regulars. So no chance here

South America - All 10 teams are in contention but the only team which has never qualified - Venezuela is at the bottom of the table right now. So no chance here

Oceania - Don't think anyone else except New Zealand will make it to final round. And they may still lose in inter-continental play offs. So no chance here too.

Asia - Lebanon, Syria, Oman and Vietnam are the new ones in contention. Syria and Vietnam are bottom of their groups. Lebanon and Oman are third in their group. But Japan is 4th in Oman's group and may climb and take that spot. So only serious contender is Lebanon. And they will have to win against Japan in a play off.... so not much chance here as well

Europe - Finland from Group D in third position now... they have to topple Ukraine to get to 2nd and then will the 2nd round playoffs because France are finishing 1st here. Montenegro in Group G at 4th position now with Netherlands most likely to win that. So they hace to get past Norway and Turkey to 2nd spot and then win play offs. Albania in Group I who are third and need to get past Poland to second spot. England will finish first for sure.
Group J has North Macedeonia and Armenia who need to get past Romania. Germany has already qualified.

So only 4 new teams possible - Finland, Albania, North Macedonia, Armenia

Africa - There are more possibilities here - Burkina Faso, Equatorial Guinea, Zambia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Mali, Uganda, Libya, and Gabon are in reckoning. Mali is topping the group, Burkina Faso is the second best bet as they are tied with Algeria and only group winners make it. But there is another round after this :-)

It is highly possible this will be the first world cup with no new entrants

Futbolmetrix

Oct 14, 2021, 1:16:58 PMOct 14
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 11:34:58 AM UTC-4, Raja Nadar wrote:
> Will it be Finland?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Debut_of_teams
>
> Qatar shouldn't count since they did not have to qualify. So far every world cup has had new teams. But this time around, all the top nations are sailing so far in the qualifiers.

Well, they would certainly be a new *team* at the world cup, though not a new qualifier.

> Africa - There are more possibilities here - Burkina Faso, Equatorial Guinea, Zambia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Mali, Uganda, Libya, and Gabon are in reckoning. Mali is topping the group, Burkina Faso is the second best bet as they are tied with Algeria and only group winners make it. But there is another round after this :-)

Everything is still wide open in CAF, and a new qualifier could definitely emerge from there. The fact that Cameroon and Cote d'Ivoire were in the same qualifying group helps matters.

> It is highly possible this will be the first world cup with no new entrants

If indeed there are no new qualifiers, what would be the team that makes the World Cup after the longest hiatus? (Canada 1986, Wales 1958, DR Congo/Zaire 1974?)

Raja Nadar

Oct 14, 2021, 1:52:52 PMOct 14
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 12:16:58 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 11:34:58 AM UTC-4, Raja Nadar wrote:
> > Will it be Finland?
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Debut_of_teams
> >
> > Qatar shouldn't count since they did not have to qualify. So far every world cup has had new teams. But this time around, all the top nations are sailing so far in the qualifiers.
> Well, they would certainly be a new *team* at the world cup, though not a new qualifier.
> >
> > Africa - There are more possibilities here - Burkina Faso, Equatorial Guinea, Zambia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Mali, Uganda, Libya, and Gabon are in reckoning. Mali is topping the group, Burkina Faso is the second best bet as they are tied with Algeria and only group winners make it. But there is another round after this :-)
> Everything is still wide open in CAF, and a new qualifier could definitely emerge from there. The fact that Cameroon and Cote d'Ivoire were in the same qualifying group helps matters.

Morocco and Senegal are already through to the final round... so we have only 8 slots left and those seem like Algeria, Tunisia, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Mali, Egypt, South Africa and Tanzania. If the current group leaders stay as group leaders, the only 2 new teams are Mali and Tanzania in the final round.

Think about this...

Group A - Its either Algeria or Burkina Faso
Group B - Tunisia hammered Equatorial Guinea 3-0 at home. So doubt EG will return back the favor. And Zambia are all but out.
Group C - Central African Republic is pretty much out at this point .If Nigeria beat the hapless Liberia it is almost done unless they lose at home to Cape Verde... not happening.
Group D - goner
Group E - Its Mali or Uganda (both are "new")
Group F - If Egypt wins against Angola away, it is adios amigos Libya and Gabon... and so far Angola has only defeated Gabon.
Group G - goner
Group H - goner
Group I - goner
Group J - one new team guaranteed here unless DR Congo who have qualified only once, somehow makes it. They have matches left against Benin and Tanzania left though and they lost to Madagascar!

> > It is highly possible this will be the first world cup with no new entrants
> If indeed there are no new qualifiers, what would be the team that makes the World Cup after the longest hiatus? (Canada 1986, Wales 1958, DR Congo/Zaire 1974?)
DR Congo is not making it... they lost to Madagascar FFS! Canada is a possibility. Wales need a favorable play off draw...can't run into Switzerland/Austria-types.

The Doctor

Oct 14, 2021, 4:50:11 PMOct 14
In article <46c9b436-8481-4e45...@googlegroups.com>,
Raja Nadar <zepf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Will it be Finland?
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Debut_of_teams
>
>Qatar shouldn't count since they did not have to qualify. So far every
>world cup has had new teams. But this time around, all the top nations
>are sailing so far in the qualifiers.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification
>
>North America - The 8 remaining have qualified before (even Canada,
>Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica and Honduras). Mexico, USA and recently
>Costa Rica have been regulars. So no chance here

CR no Canda yes.
Alberta on 18 Oct vote no to the referenda and stop the UCP/CPC and NDP municipally! Beware https://mindspring.com

Lléo

Oct 15, 2021, 12:03:36 AMOct 15
Futbolmetrix escreveu:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 11:34:58 AM UTC-4, Raja Nadar wrote:
> > Will it be Finland?
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Debut_of_teams
> >
> > Qatar shouldn't count since they did not have to qualify. So far every world
> > cup has had new teams. But this time around, all the top nations are sailing
> > so far in the qualifiers.
>
> Well, they would certainly be a new *team* at the world cup, though not a new
> qualifier.

Indeed. Apart from the trivial case (Uruguay 1930), Qatar are the only team to
debut in the World Cup through hosting it.

> > Africa - There are more possibilities here - Burkina Faso, Equatorial Guinea,
> > Zambia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Mali, Uganda, Libya, and Gabon
> > are in reckoning. Mali is topping the group, Burkina Faso is the second best
> > bet as they are tied with Algeria and only group winners make it. But there
> >is another round after this :-)
>
> Everything is still wide open in CAF, and a new qualifier could definitely
> emerge from there. The fact that Cameroon and Cote d'Ivoire were in the same
> qualifying group helps matters.

For some reason it always feels like CAF is the place to look at when one thinks
of new qualifiers. 13 of their teams have played in the World Cup, six of which
had their debuts from 1998 onwards (ie, when they went up to five spots). But
interestingly, the last time they had a new entrant was in 2006, when four out of
their five spots went to newcomers. In 2010, 2014 and 2018 we had some returns
after long absences (eg, Morocco 1998-2018, Egypt 1990-2018), but no newbies.

> > It is highly possible this will be the first world cup with no new entrants
>
> If indeed there are no new qualifiers, what would be the team that makes the
> World Cup after the longest hiatus? (Canada 1986, Wales 1958, DR Congo/Zaire
> 1974?)

As far as I can tell, Wales. If you asked that question at the very beginning
of the qualification cycle, the answer would be Indonesia, away from the
tournament since 1938.

--
Lléo

Werner Pichler

Oct 18, 2021, 5:31:56 AMOct 18
On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 6:03:36 AM UTC+2, Lléo wrote:
> Futbolmetrix escreveu:
>
> > If indeed there are no new qualifiers, what would be the team that makes the
> > World Cup after the longest hiatus? (Canada 1986, Wales 1958, DR Congo/Zaire
> > 1974?)
>
> As far as I can tell, Wales. If you asked that question at the very beginning
> of the qualification cycle, the answer would be Indonesia, away from the
> tournament since 1938.

Or Cuba.

Ciao,
Werner