UEFA WC qualifiers October 2021 [R]

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 9, 2021, 2:56:51 PM10/9/21
This round kicked off Friday. Most notable was a Czechia - Wales draw
that qualifies Belgium for the World Cup. I think as the first nation?
The benefit of a 5 team group.

I saw most of Germany - Romania. The Germans were vastly superior, yet
the Romanians led for a very long time, and it was only late that
Germany turned it around. Those claiming that strikers, nines, are
obsolete, should take a look at how toothless a German attack with
Werner, Reus, Gnabry and Sane can be. It's so obvious that they lack a
focal point up front.

Main game tonight is Faroe Islands - Austria.

MH

Oct 9, 2021, 3:45:59 PM10/9/21
On 2021-10-09 12:56, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> This round kicked off Friday. Most notable was a Czechia - Wales draw
> that qualifies Belgium for the World Cup.

Not quite. Wales have only player 5 games, so can still reach 17
points. Belgium are on 16. But they do have home game left vs. Estonia
and away to Wales, so it is indeed pretty much done and dusted.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 9, 2021, 3:56:57 PM10/9/21
On 2021-10-09, MH <MHno...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-10-09 12:56, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
>> This round kicked off Friday. Most notable was a Czechia - Wales draw
>> that qualifies Belgium for the World Cup.
>
> Not quite. Wales have only player 5 games, so can still reach 17
> points. Belgium are on 16. But they do have home game left vs. Estonia
> and away to Wales, so it is indeed pretty much done and dusted.

Ah yes, I keep getting sidetracked by Wales being in 3rd place.

At half time Denmark is 4 goals up in Moldova. Makes for 21 points,
and 26-0 goals, in 7 games. Still need 3 points in the last 3 games,
or a draw against Scotland, to win the group.

Fun fact just mentioned on the broadcast: all 10 non-keepers, currently
on the pitch for Denmark, have scored for Denmark *this year*. And
that after taking two of the first half goal scorers off.

ixion martin - GdBx

Oct 9, 2021, 7:36:31 PM10/9/21
Jesper Lauridsen vient de nous annoncer :

> Fun fact just mentioned on the broadcast: all 10 non-keepers,
> currently on the pitch for Denmark, have scored for Denmark
> *this year*. And that after taking two of the first half goal
> scorers off.

Impressive.
The best Danish team since 1992, I guess.

--
Ixion
Paris sort piteusement de la Coupe d'Europe.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 11, 2021, 3:38:45 PM10/11/21
On 2021-10-09, Jesper Lauridsen <rors...@sorrystofanet.dk> wrote:
> On 2021-10-09, MH <MHno...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>> On 2021-10-09 12:56, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
>>> This round kicked off Friday. Most notable was a Czechia - Wales draw
>>> that qualifies Belgium for the World Cup.
>>
>> Not quite. Wales have only player 5 games, so can still reach 17
>> points. Belgium are on 16. But they do have home game left vs. Estonia
>> and away to Wales, so it is indeed pretty much done and dusted.
>
> Ah yes, I keep getting sidetracked by Wales being in 3rd place.

Wales 1-0 up in Estonia to keep the pressure on Belgium.

Slovakia 2-1 in Croatia, which keeps them alive for a bit longer.

Germany is getting a helping hand from Romania, but is still only
drawing in Macedonia.

Second half coming up.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 11, 2021, 4:25:51 PM10/11/21
On 2021-10-11, Jesper Lauridsen <rors...@sorrystofanet.dk> wrote:

> Germany is getting a helping hand from Romania, but is still only
> drawing in Macedonia.

Not a pretty match in Macedonia, but two great strikes from Werner
(and a Havertz tap-in) has made the difference. Germany minutes away
from being the first team to qualify for the World Cup.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 11, 2021, 4:43:22 PM10/11/21
On 2021-10-11, Jesper Lauridsen <rors...@sorrystofanet.dk> wrote:

> Wales 1-0 up in Estonia to keep the pressure on Belgium.

FT

> Slovakia 2-1 in Croatia, which keeps them alive for a bit longer.

2-2. Makes the group Croatia vs Russia.

Very, very late penalty in Latvia gives Turkey 3 points, and keeps
them in touch with Norway.

Real Mardin

Oct 11, 2021, 4:59:19 PM10/11/21
There were stoppages in injury time, in no small part due to Latvian players dropping to the ground when Turkey were knocking on the door for the winner, so I can see why the referee played on as long as he did. The penalty actually evaded the referee in real time and seemingly only went to VAR review after incredulous protestations from Burak Yilmaz (who was fouled) and other Turkish players.

With the game on a knife edge in injury time and World Cup qualification at stake you would have thought the VAR review would have come about quicker, there was clear contact in the box resulting in the attacking player going down. All's well that ends well I guess but I'm pleased the players protested.

To be honest part of me doesn't want anything to do with this "Desert World Cup Christmas Special", but it would have been wrong to go out due to that penalty not being given.

RM

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 12, 2021, 3:04:48 PM10/12/21
Big news Tuesday: Pukki is now the all-time top scoring player for
Finland. Overtakes a Jari something.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 12, 2021, 4:44:30 PM10/12/21
Denmark - Austria 1-0
Not a brilliant performance, but enough too see off a toothless
aim&main Austria side. And secure qualification.

Elsewhere:
San Marino - Andorra 0-3. SM truly is the weakest team in Europe.

England - Hungary 1-1. England still on track.

Real Mardin

Oct 12, 2021, 5:41:11 PM10/12/21
Some ugly scenes where Hungary fans (who let's not forget in the first game racially abused England players and threw foreign objects onto the field) clashed with police officers, to the point where the outnumbered police actually had to retreat. Punches were thrown at police officers and from what I could see the police used their batons in self-defence. Unpleasant.

RM