Unsophisticated Prediction Tiers Season 50 Cup Final and 3rd-7th place matches

Futbolmetrix

May 16, 2022, 9:45:57 AM5/16/22
What to do
-----------

Look at the fixtures below: do you play home or away? In any case:
remember that it's single-leg, and a draw qualifies the team with the X
on its side.

*Home*
- Before Wednesday 2022-05-18, 11:59 GMT
- Pick one team from each of the two matches, in order of preference

*Away*
- After Wednesday (or even sooner, if the home player has picked his
teams) and before kickoff of the first match
- Pick one of the teams not picked by your opponent (if he hasn't picked
any team, you have free choice)
- Their opponents will represent your opponent

(If the away player doesn't pick any team before his deadline, the home
player will be represented by his preferred team. If nobody picks a
team, teams are assigned randomly.)

Final:
-----------
F1: Werner Pichler - MH
Leicester City 1 - Southampton X2
Fiorentina 1 - Juventus X2

3rd place matches
-----------------------------
3P1: The Doctor - ixion martin
Venezia 1X - Cagliari 2
Osasuna 1X - Mallorca 2

3P2: Homer Simpson - milivella
Brest 1 - Bordeaux X2
Barcelona 1 - Villarreal X2

7th place matches
------------------------------
7P1: Jesper Lauridsen - Futbolmetrix
Clermont Foot 1X - Lyon 2
DC United 1 - Toronto FC X2

7P2: Mark - Jesus Petry
Lens 1X - Monaco 2
Nashville 1 - Atlanta X2

The Doctor

May 16, 2022, 11:32:21 AM5/16/22
In article <7a93ac15-6c63-40cb...@googlegroups.com>,
Cagliari

>Osasuna 1X - Mallorca 2

MAllorca.

>3P2: Homer Simpson - milivella
>Brest 1 - Bordeaux X2
>Barcelona 1 - Villarreal X2
>

>7th place matches
>------------------------------
>7P1: Jesper Lauridsen - Futbolmetrix
>Clermont Foot 1X - Lyon 2
>DC United 1 - Toronto FC X2
>

>7P2: Mark - Jesus Petry
>Lens 1X - Monaco 2
>Nashville 1 - Atlanta X2

Ontario, stop the madness and on 2 June vote Liberal! Beware https://mindspring.com

Futbolmetrix

May 16, 2022, 11:41:27 AM5/16/22
On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 9:45:57 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> 3P2: Homer Simpson - milivella
> Brest 1 - Bordeaux X2
> Barcelona 1 - Villarreal X2

Homer picks:

1. Brest
2. Barcelona

ixion martin - GdBx

May 16, 2022, 1:32:03 PM5/16/22
The Doctor a pensé très fort :

>> 3rd place matches
>> -----------------------------
>> 3P1: The Doctor - ixion martin
>> Venezia 1X - Cagliari 2
>
> Cagliari
>
>> Osasuna 1X - Mallorca 2
>
> MAllorca.

Osasuna.

--
Ixion

milivella

May 16, 2022, 8:49:56 PM5/16/22
Futbolmetrix:
I pick Les Girondins, as they are my French club.

--
Cheers
milivella

Mark

May 17, 2022, 11:57:54 AM5/17/22
There's a problem. According to league321.com, there isn't a Nashville in MLS.
I'll go for Lens in the other match, as they're my favourite French club.

MH

May 17, 2022, 12:47:59 PM5/17/22
It looks as though both they and St. Etienne, with 16 titles between
them (les vert are tied with PSG for the most at 10) are both doomed to
relegation. Trying to think of a parallel situation in another league
where two clubs of similar stature went down the same year. I don't
think HSV and Schalke went down at the same time. Betis, Sevilla and
Atletico Madrid went down in 2000, but the Seville teams only have one
league title each - and both a very long time ago.

> --
> Cheers
> milivella

MH

May 17, 2022, 12:52:15 PM5/17/22
Well they are wrong. There has been since 2020

ixion martin - GdBx

May 17, 2022, 4:05:06 PM5/17/22
milivella a exposé le 17/05/2022 :
You are insane !

It is my club since forever.
I never saw such a weak club.
In French Cup, Brest won over Bordeaux 3-0 and in Ligue 1,
Brest won 1-2 in Bordeaux.
Bordeaux won only once in last 15 games, at home versus Metz,
who was last at this time.

Most of all, players already are elsewhere and do not care
about the club which will surely disappear due to the deficit.

No chance Bordeaux can take one point in Brest.

--
Ixion

Jesper Lauridsen

May 17, 2022, 4:40:42 PM5/17/22
On 2022-05-16, Futbolmetrix <daniele....@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Home*
> - Before Wednesday 2022-05-18, 11:59 GMT

These noon deadlines are killing me.

> 7th place matches
> ------------------------------
> 7P1: Jesper Lauridsen - Futbolmetrix
> Clermont Foot 1X - Lyon 2
> DC United 1 - Toronto FC X2

Why am I playing some dross that lost last round?

1. The kids
2. Washington Football Team

Futbolmetrix

May 17, 2022, 5:04:27 PM5/17/22
On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 4:40:42 PM UTC-4, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> On 2022-05-16, Futbolmetrix <> wrote:
> >
> > *Home*
> > - Before Wednesday 2022-05-18, 11:59 GMT
> These noon deadlines are killing me.

Oh, that's what was bugging you...

> > 7th place matches
> > ------------------------------
> > 7P1: Jesper Lauridsen - Futbolmetrix
> > Clermont Foot 1X - Lyon 2
> > DC United 1 - Toronto FC X2
> Why am I playing some dross that lost last round?

Because you were a bad winner.

> 1. The kids
> 2. Washington Football Team

The Lancers (Clermont Foot)
(which leads to the question: Ajax Amsterdam are known as "i Lancieri" in Italian, but the "Lancers" doesn't show up as one of their nicknames in any of the other wikipedia pages I looked (English, Dutch, Hebrew). What's up with that?

Mark

May 18, 2022, 8:23:20 AM5/18/22
Danubio and Defensor Sporting in 2020. Only Penarol and Nacional have won more Uruguayan Championships than them. And they both came straight back up in 2021.

MH

May 18, 2022, 5:02:02 PM5/18/22
On 2022-05-16 07:45, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> What to do
> -----------
>
> Look at the fixtures below: do you play home or away? In any case:
> remember that it's single-leg, and a draw qualifies the team with the X
> on its side.
>
> *Home*
> - Before Wednesday 2022-05-18, 11:59 GMT
> - Pick one team from each of the two matches, in order of preference
>
> *Away*
> - After Wednesday (or even sooner, if the home player has picked his
> teams) and before kickoff of the first match
> - Pick one of the teams not picked by your opponent (if he hasn't picked
> any team, you have free choice)
> - Their opponents will represent your opponent
>
> (If the away player doesn't pick any team before his deadline, the home
> player will be represented by his preferred team. If nobody picks a
> team, teams are assigned randomly.)
>
> Final:
> -----------
> F1: Werner Pichler - MH
> Leicester City 1 - Southampton X2
> Fiorentina 1 - Juventus X2

I have not heard from Werner yet - did I miss something.

MH

May 19, 2022, 3:31:09 PM5/19/22
Still no Werner.

I pick Leicester City, then.

Futbolmetrix

May 20, 2022, 1:35:25 PM5/20/22
I count this as an incomplete pick. Jesus, you can pick either Monaco, Nashville or Atlanta. If no pick, it's Lens - Monaco

Jesper Lauridsen

May 22, 2022, 12:31:10 PM5/22/22
On 2022-05-17, Futbolmetrix <daniele....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Lancers (Clermont Foot)

Lancers are a type cavalry, how does that fit with a club called Foot?!?
The French are very strange.

milivella

May 22, 2022, 4:03:38 PM5/22/22
ixion martin - GdBx:

> milivella a exposé le 17/05/2022 :
>> Futbolmetrix:

>>> Homer picks:
>>>
>>> 1. Brest
>>> 2. Barcelona
>>
>> I pick Les Girondins, as they are my French club.
>
> You are insane !
>
> It is my club since forever.

I know, this is the reason why are also my club. :)

> I never saw such a weak club.
> In French Cup, Brest won over Bordeaux 3-0 and in Ligue 1, Brest won 1-2
> in Bordeaux.
> Bordeaux won only once in last 15 games, at home versus Metz, who was
> last at this time.
>
> Most of all, players already are elsewhere and do not care about the
> club which will surely disappear due to the deficit.
>
> No chance Bordeaux can take one point in Brest.

Great anti-weaufx. Unfortunately, the win wasn't enough to avoid
relegation. I'm not celebrating reaching the UPT Cup podium.

--
Cheers
milivella

Mark

May 23, 2022, 11:29:30 AM5/23/22
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 9:03:38 PM UTC+1, milivella wrote:
> ixion martin - GdBx:
> > milivella a exposé le 17/05/2022 :

> >> I pick Les Girondins, as they are my French club.
> >
> > You are insane !
> >
> > It is my club since forever.
> I know, this is the reason why are also my club. :)

Are Independiente your favourite Argentinean club?

Futbolmetrix

May 24, 2022, 7:28:25 PM5/24/22
On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 9:45:57 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Results:

Final
Werner Pichler 1 - 4 MH (Southampton X2-Leicester City 1)

Congratulations to MH for his 5th overall Cup win. He now extends his lead in the count of Cups, with two more than the second placed trio. You are the Carlo Ancelotti of UPT.

Bronze medal matches
The Doctor 2 - 0 ixion martin (Mallorca 2-Osasuna 1X)
Homer Simpson 2 - 4 milivella (Brest 1-Bordeaux X2)

Who cares about the third place playoff?

7th place playoff
Jesper Lauridsen 2 - 1 Futbolmetrix (Lyon 2-Clermont Foot 1X)
Mark 2* - 2 Jesus Petry (Lens 1X-Monaco 2)

Who cares about the 7th place playoff?

Mark

May 25, 2022, 9:32:18 AM5/25/22
So who ends 7th? Jesper Lauridsen or FC Mark?

milivella

May 28, 2022, 8:51:29 PM5/28/22
Mark:
Should they be?

--
Cheers
milivella

Mark

May 29, 2022, 4:04:51 PM5/29/22
Yes. They're Argentina's most successful football club. They've won a record 7 Copa Libertadoreses, and lots of other trophies.

And making Bordeaux your favourite French Club because Ixion supports them and not making Independiente your favourite Argentinian club because I support them...well wouldn't that be favouritism?

milivella

May 30, 2022, 8:55:04 PM5/30/22
Mark:
You persuaded me! Go Diablos Rojos! :)

--
Cheers
milivella

Mark

May 31, 2022, 11:48:25 AM5/31/22
Yay!

Werner Pichler

Jun 4, 2022, 4:48:21 PM6/4/22
That nickname is purely an invention by Italian journalists, based on the mythical Ajax, and the logo.
(although IIRC wasn't he known more for his mighty shield?)

Ciao,
Werner

milivella

Jun 14, 2022, 5:59:02 PM6/14/22
milivella:

> I pick Les Girondins, as they are my French club.

Sorry, Bordeaux, for tainting you with my bad luck. :(

(
https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/ligue-2/bordeaux-les-girondins-retrogrades-en-national-1-par-la-dncg_AV-202206140583.html
)

ixion martin - GdBx

Jun 21, 2022, 5:39:19 PM6/21/22
milivella avait prétendu :
We manage well.

--
Ixion

Mark

Jun 22, 2022, 9:12:53 AM6/22/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 12:28:25 AM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
What's gone wrong with FC Mark? In the 1st 30 years of the League's existence, we won 10 (exactly a 3rd of the) League Championships, and ended in the top 2 of exactly half the tournaments (we ended runners-up 5 times). We even won the League by accident once you know!

And yet in the last 20 years, we've only won 2 major trophies I think! If I remember correctly, we've been winners and runners-up once each in each of the League and the Cup!

I don't understand what's gone wrong.

MH

Aug 23, 2022, 2:31:10 PM8/23/22
I had missed this, but apparently Bordeaux won their appeal in late
July, and were re-instated in Ligue 2.