Use-the-NT 2021 Organizational Thread

Futbolmetrix

Sep 10, 2021, 3:22:06 PM9/10/21
European Group Phases begin next week. This year we have a shiny new competition, so more matches from which to pick your players.

Rules (from previous years' thread):

Before each European match day, pick 12 players eligible to play for one
national team (or a group of national teams). No more than 5 forwards, no fewer than three defenders. Select a captain. Every goal scored by one of your Players is worth one point, every goal scored by your captain is worth 2 points. Your total score is equal to the total number of goals, plus a Formula 1-style Bonus for placement within the round.

Submit your teams before kickoff of the first leg (two early games on Tuesday, September 14).

Additional rules:
- You can make unlimited substitutions to your squad, as long as the club of both the subbed in and subbed out player have not kicked off their match yet.

- Players' nationality is based on FIFA eligibility for national team rules. If a player is eligible to play for more than one NT, he can be selected by managers of each of the NTs for which he is eligible. Example: Kemar Roofe in 2020-2021 was eligible for both England and Jamaica. Since then he has declared for Jamaica, so he is only eligible for Jamaica (or CONCACAF).

Last year's final standings:
TotGoals TotPoints
36 71.8 Tugas (POR)
32 62.08 Babes (Scandinavia)
25 48.2 Jogo (Brazil)
28 46.3 Bungs (England)
21 33.93 Rockers (CONCACAF)
22 33.2 Armata (Italy)
20 31.2 Waffles (Benelux)
18 29.1 Midgets (Spain)
17 27.08 Pact (Warsaw Pact countries)
17 26.25 Peaceniks (Middle East and North Africa)
15 16.1 Watch (Germany)
9 14.75 Defaults (Argentina)
10 12 Wonderland (SUI+AUT+LIE)

Futbolmetrix

Sep 10, 2021, 3:29:27 PM9/10/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 3:22:06 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Last year's final standings:
> TotGoals TotPoints
> 36 71.8 Tugas (POR)
> 32 62.08 Babes (Scandinavia)
> 25 48.2 Jogo (Brazil)
> 28 46.3 Bungs (England)
> 21 33.93 Rockers (CONCACAF)
> 22 33.2 Armata (Italy)
> 20 31.2 Waffles (Benelux)
> 18 29.1 Midgets (Spain)
> 17 27.08 Pact (Warsaw Pact countries)
> 17 26.25 Peaceniks (Middle East and North Africa)
> 15 16.1 Watch (Germany)
> 9 14.75 Defaults (Argentina)
> 10 12 Wonderland (SUI+AUT+LIE)

The Pact manager does not want to risk another trip to Siberia. I will only enter with the Middle Eastern Peaceniks and newly rebranded Invincibile Armata Campione d'Europa.

(very) Preliminary lineups:

Armata:
DF: Bonucci, Bastoni, Acerbi
MF: Locatelli, Pellegrini, Jorginho, Barella, Zaniolo
FW: Chiesa (c), Immobile, Kean, Insigne

Peaceniks
DF: Hakimi, Mazraoui, ???
MF: Mahrez, Ziyech, Refaelov, ???
FW: Zahavi, Salah, Atzili, Solomon, ???

MH

Sep 10, 2021, 4:19:09 PM9/10/21
On 2021-09-10 13:29, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 3:22:06 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
>> Last year's final standings:
>> TotGoals TotPoints
>> 36 71.8 Tugas (POR)
>> 32 62.08 Babes (Scandinavia)
>> 25 48.2 Jogo (Brazil)
>> 28 46.3 Bungs (England)
>> 21 33.93 Rockers (CONCACAF)
>> 22 33.2 Armata (Italy)
>> 20 31.2 Waffles (Benelux)
>> 18 29.1 Midgets (Spain)
>> 17 27.08 Pact (Warsaw Pact countries)
>> 17 26.25 Peaceniks (Middle East and North Africa)
>> 15 16.1 Watch (Germany)
>> 9 14.75 Defaults (Argentina)
>> 10 12 Wonderland (SUI+AUT+LIE)
>
> The Pact manager does not want to risk another trip to Siberia. I will only enter with the Middle Eastern Peaceniks and newly rebranded Invincibile Armata Campione d'Europa.

Rocking as CONCACAF is, I think I will only enter the Waffles and
Windmills (Benelux national teams eligibility) and, if nobody else
desperately wants them, the Singed Beards (Spain) this year.

Have to check what weird positions UEFA says people play before making
even preliminary lineups/

Futbolmetrix

Sep 10, 2021, 5:10:48 PM9/10/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 3:29:27 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 3:22:06 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
> > Last year's final standings:
> > TotGoals TotPoints
> > 36 71.8 Tugas (POR)
> > 32 62.08 Babes (Scandinavia)
> > 25 48.2 Jogo (Brazil)
> > 28 46.3 Bungs (England)
> > 21 33.93 Rockers (CONCACAF)
> > 22 33.2 Armata (Italy)
> > 20 31.2 Waffles (Benelux)
> > 18 29.1 Midgets (Spain)
> > 17 27.08 Pact (Warsaw Pact countries)
> > 17 26.25 Peaceniks (Middle East and North Africa)
> > 15 16.1 Watch (Germany)
> > 9 14.75 Defaults (Argentina)
> > 10 12 Wonderland (SUI+AUT+LIE)
> The Pact manager does not want to risk another trip to Siberia. I will only enter with the Middle Eastern Peaceniks and newly rebranded Invincibile Armata Campione d'Europa.
>
> (very) Preliminary lineups:
>
> Armata:
> DF: Bonucci, Bastoni, Acerbi
> MF: Locatelli, Pellegrini, Jorginho, Barella, Zaniolo
> FW: Chiesa (c), Immobile, Kean, Insigne

There actually isn't a lot more than this for the Armata. Of those that can be an attacking threat, maybe just Petagna. Pellegri has moved to Milan, but I don't see him getting a lot of minutes. Former Inter prospect Esposito has moved to Basel, could be interesting...

> Peaceniks
> DF: Hakimi, Mazraoui, ???
> MF: Mahrez, Ziyech, Refaelov, ???
> FW: Zahavi, Salah, Atzili, Solomon, ???

Refaelov has moved from Antwerp to Anderlecht, who are not in Europe, and Atzili is apparently a midfielder. Let's try again:

DF: Hakimi, Mazraoui, Ghoulam
MF: Mahrez, Ziyech, Benrahma, Jahanbakhsh
FW: Zahavi, Salah, En-Nesyri, Taremi, Slimani

(one could almost field a purely Maghreb-based team...

Futbolmetrix

Sep 10, 2021, 5:13:35 PM9/10/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 4:19:09 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:

> Rocking as CONCACAF is, I think I will only enter the Waffles and
> Windmills (Benelux national teams eligibility) and, if nobody else
> desperately wants them, the Singed Beards (Spain) this year.

:-(

The Rockers are rockingly loaded this year: at least 10 Yanks, an equal number of Canadians, and Michail Antonio who has been on fire at the beginning of the season. I am almost tempted to pick them up myself...

MH

Sep 10, 2021, 7:14:42 PM9/10/21
On 2021-09-10 15:13, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 4:19:09 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:
>
>> Rocking as CONCACAF is, I think I will only enter the Waffles and
>> Windmills (Benelux national teams eligibility) and, if nobody else
>> desperately wants them, the Singed Beards (Spain) this year.
>
> :-(
>
> The Rockers are rockingly loaded this year: at least 10 Yanks,

Mostly injured or bit-part players, no ?

an equal number of Canadians,

???

Davies, David, Hutchinson, Larin, Arfield, Borjan, Are there really any
others ? Don't think Pacos de F or Moreirense made it to groups. Or
Hatayspor.

and Michail Antonio who has been on fire at the beginning of the season.

And would be rested in European matches ?

I am almost tempted to pick them up myself...

Go ahead. Don't forget Roofe and others.

Futbolmetrix

Sep 11, 2021, 7:30:15 AM9/11/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 7:14:42 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:

> > The Rockers are rockingly loaded this year: at least 10 Yanks,
> Mostly injured or bit-part players, no ?

Sure, they are not France or Brazil, but they don't look to be that much worse than the Armata.

> an equal number of Canadians,
> ???
>
> Davies, David, Hutchinson, Larin, Arfield, Borjan, Are there really any
> others ? Don't think Pacos de F or Moreirense made it to groups. Or
> Hatayspor.

Liam Millar at Basel

> and Michail Antonio who has been on fire at the beginning of the season.
> And would be rested in European matches ?
> I am almost tempted to pick them up myself...
> >
> Go ahead. Don't forget Roofe and others.

An attempt:

DF: Dest, Davies, Brooks
MF: Herrera, McKennie, Arfield, Hutchinson
FW: Pulisic, Corona, Larin, Antonio, David

Others: Roofe, Aaronson,

With some luck UEFA thinks some of the forwards are midfielders and you can strengthen the team even further.

Jesper Lauridsen

Sep 12, 2021, 5:43:45 PM9/12/21
Vikings (DK/NO/SWE/ICE/FAR):
DF: Jesper Lauridsen (Randers), Julian Ryerson (Union),
Casper Højer Nielsen (Sparta Praha)
MF: Jens Stage (FCK), Vito Hammershøj-Mistrati (Randers),
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Spurs), Dejan Kulusevski (Juve)
FW: Erling Haaland (Dortmund) (C), Jonas Wind (FCK), Mikael Uhre (Brøndby),
Jesper Karlsson (Alkmaar), Zlatan

It is naturally going to be DK biased.

Binder is silent, so I'll enter a joke team.

Merkel's Midfielders:
DF: Philipp Max, Gosens, Danny da Costa
MF: Wirtz, Demirbay, Baku, Reus, Havertz, Gündoğan
FW: Kruse (C), Gnabry, Werner

Futbolmetrix

Sep 12, 2021, 5:55:21 PM9/12/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 5:43:45 PM UTC-4, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> Vikings (DK/NO/SWE/ICE/FAR):
> DF: Jesper Lauridsen (Randers),

You've kept this from us all this time?

MH

Sep 12, 2021, 9:25:35 PM9/12/21
My Preliminary teams (have not checked injuries etc)

Singed Beards

DF: Laporte, Alba, Azpilicueta
MF: Sarabia, Marcos Llorente, Fornals, Merino
FW: Olmo, G. Moreno, Morata, Oyarzabal, Ferran Torres

(need to look at Barca and Real Lineups a bit more, and see if Pedri,
Fati and so on are around and fit)

Waffles and Windmills

DF: Van Dijk, Denayer, Vertonghen
MF: Vanaken, DeJong, De Bruyne, Carrasco
FW: E. Hazard, Depay (C), Lukaku, De Ketelaere, Mertens

(Watching Doku, Meunier, Mechele, Saelemakers, Tielemans, Promes, De
Ligt, T. Hazard and so on)

Werner Pichler

Sep 13, 2021, 6:11:38 AM9/13/21
Last year the Wonderland showed some good performances but had an inept manager.
Time to try again!

Brexit Bungs

DF: Luke Shaw (Man United) - Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) - James Tavernier (Rangers)
MF: Mason Greenwood (Man United) - Jack Grealish (Man City) - Phil Foden (Man City) - Mason Mount (Chelsea) - Harvey Barnes (Leicester) - Dele Alli (Tottenham)
FW: Tammy Abraham (Roma) - Jamie Vardy (Leicester) - Harry Kane (Tottenham, C)

(Greenwood is not featured yet by UEFA on their homepage because he's not in United's 25-man-squad,
but on the B list; but last year he was a midfielder)

Alpine Wonderland

DF: David Alaba (Real Madrid) - Manuel Akanji (Dortmund) - Philipp Mwene (PSV) - Gernot Trauner (Feyenoord)
MF: Marcel Sabitzer (Bayern München) - Remo Freuler (Atalanta) - Stefan Schwab (PAOK) - Xherdan Shaqiri (Lyon)
FW: Noah Okafor (Salzburg) - Felix Mambimbi (Young Boys) - Dan Ndoye (Basel, C) - Marko Raguž (LASK)

Six Austrians, six Swiss. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Ciao,
Werner

HASM

Sep 13, 2021, 2:40:31 PM9/13/21

Futbolmetrix <daniele....@gmail.com> writes:
> Submit your teams before kickoff of the first leg (two early games on
> Tuesday, September 14).

Tugas

DF:
Ricardo Esgaio (Sporting CP)
Rúben Dias (Man City)
Raphaël Guerreiro (Dortmund)

MF:
Bruno Fernandes (Man Utd)
Pedro Gonçalves (Sporting CP)
Bernardo Silva (Man City)
João Palhinha (Sporting CP)

FW:
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd) (C)
Diogo Jota (Liverpool)
Nuno Santos (Sporting CP)
Gonçalo Paciência (Frankfurt)
Gelson Martins (Monaco)

Not clear who's taking the PKs at Man Utd.
With CR7 not there Bruno F would be the (C).

-- HASM

Jesus Petry

Sep 13, 2021, 4:41:39 PM9/13/21
Jogo Apresentável is back!

Marquinhos, Éder Militão, Renan Lodi
Roberto Firmino, Bruno Guimarães, Casemiro, Otávio
David Neres, Neymar (C), Vinícius Júnior, Matheus Cunha, Gabriel Jesus

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Jesper Lauridsen

Sep 18, 2021, 12:16:06 PM9/18/21
Congrats on being the 6th strongest warlord of Riddler Nation!
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-you-get-the-paper-cut/

Jesus Petry

Sep 21, 2021, 8:37:51 AM9/21/21
Thanks! It took some trying.
But I had gotten a couple of shout outs for solving the riddles there before.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry