UEFA Champions League (UCL) Knockout Stage 2022-2023

Ion Saliu

Nov 7, 2022, 6:50:59 AM11/7/22
Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:

Following is the UCL draw, the round of 16, 2022-2023

• Leipzig – Manchester City
• Brugge – Benfica
• Liverpool – Real Madrid
• Milan – Tottenham
• Frankfurt – Napoli
• Dortmund – Chelsea
• Inter – Porto
• Paris SG – Bayern

The team listed first is the host in the first leg. The team listed second is the host in the second leg.

• First-leg dates: February 14 – 15 and February 21 – 22
•• Second-leg dates: March 7 – 8 and March 14 – 15.

Read also:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/tcJub7ByF3M
• UEFA Champions League (UCL) Group Stage 2022-2023

The final tables of UCL 2022-2023, the group stage; the last odds in the UCL group stage.

Al Kamista

Nov 7, 2022, 7:07:58 AM11/7/22
On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 6:50:59 AM UTC-5, ions...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:
>
> Following is the UCL draw, the round of 16, 2022-2023
>
> • Leipzig – Manchester City
> • Brugge – Benfica
> • Liverpool – Real Madrid
> • Milan – Tottenham
> • Frankfurt – Napoli
> • Dortmund – Chelsea
> • Inter – Porto
> • Paris SG – Bayern

Champions league haters rejoice - 2 of the 5 biggest TV draws will be knocked out in the R16.

Have to feel for Bayern. They dominate their group and draw PSG, while Inter toil to finish second and get Porto.

Bad news for Liverpool. Their last 4 CL exits have come at the hands of clubs from Madrid (3 RM, 1AM).

Ion Saliu

Nov 7, 2022, 7:17:30 AM11/7/22
On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 2:07:58 PM UTC+2, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Champions league haters rejoice - 2 of the 5 biggest TV draws will be knocked out in the R16.
>
> Have to feel for Bayern. They dominate their group and draw PSG, while Inter toil to finish second and get Porto.
>
> Bad news for Liverpool. Their last 4 CL exits have come at the hands of clubs from Madrid (3 RM, 1AM).

Alkitser:

Axiomatic one, Porto is a better team, with a richer history. They are 2-time champions of Europe. PSG is just a bunch of ultra-highly paid players with petrodollars. Methinks the Bayerns say “Danke!” Didn’t they face a lower-tier team last season, Villareal?!

Al Kamista

Nov 7, 2022, 9:47:53 AM11/7/22
History is great but we're living in the present. And at present, I doubt you will find a single team in Europe that will say that Porto will be a tougher opponent than PSG.

The Doctor

Nov 7, 2022, 9:53:03 AM11/7/22
In article <fe7e2049-f15e-4eef...@googlegroups.com>,
Ion Saliu <ions...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos,
>Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:
>
>Following is the UCL draw, the round of 16, 2022-2023
>
>• Leipzig – Manchester City

Man C in 2 leg red card match!

>• Brugge – Benfica

Benfica should pip.

>• Liverpool – Real Madrid

RM is a tough fight!

>• Milan – Tottenham

Tottenham pips is a tough one!

>• Frankfurt – Napoli

TCTC I favour Frankfort!

>• Dortmund – Chelsea

Chelsea should pip

>• Inter – Porto

Porto!!!

>• Paris SG – Bayern

Byern is tough fight!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Evil makes destruction necessary. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Nov 8, 2022, 6:37:08 AM11/8/22
UCL Odds current as of November 7, 2022.
Odds via BetMGM (USA) / Sports Interaction (Canada) / SkyBet (UK) / Ladbrokes (Australia).

Man City +175 2.25 13/8 2.63
Bayern Munich +550 6.12 13/2 6.50
PSG +800 7.70 9/1 9.00
Liverpool +900 7.80 9/1 9.00
Napoli +1000 10.09 12/1 11
Real Madrid +1100 10.07 12/1 13
Chelsea +1400 11.70 14/1 13
Tottenham +1400 13.26 16/1 15
Benfica +2000 18.38 25/1 17
Inter Milan +3300 25.93 33/1 29
Message has been deleted

Ion Saliu

Nov 8, 2022, 6:59:43 AM11/8/22
On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 1:50:59 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
UEFA Champions League Final Results 21st Century

Season Winner — Loser Score

2021–22 Real Madrid — Liverpool 1–0
2020–21 Chelsea — Manchester City 1–0
2019–20 Bayern Munich — Paris Saint-Germain 1–0
2018–19 Liverpool — Tottenham 2–0
2017–18 Real Madrid — Liverpool 3–1
2016–17 Real Madrid — Juventus 4–1
2015–16 Real Madrid — Atlético Madrid 1–1 (PK)
2014–15 Barcelona — Juventus 3–1
2013–14 Real Madrid — Atlético Madrid 4–1
2012–13 Bayern Munich — Borussia Dortmund 2–1
2011–12 Chelsea — Bayern Munich 1–1 (PK)
2010–11 Barcelona — Manchester United 3–1
2009–10 Internazionale — Bayern Munich 2–0
2008–09 Barcelona — Manchester United 2–0
2007–08 Manchester United — Chelsea 1–1 (PK)
2006–07 Milan – Liverpool 2–1
2005–06 Barcelona — Arsenal 2–1
2004–05 Liverpool — Milan 3–3 (PK)
2003–04 Porto — AS Monaco 3–0
2002–03 Milan — Juventus 0–0 (PK)
2001–02 Real Madrid — Bayer Leverkusen 2–1
2000–01 Bayern Munich — Valencia 1–1 (PK)

There is ONE and only one winner: MONEY. NO no-money (i.e. poor) team will ever show up on the winner list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0kcet4aPpQ

Ion Saliu

Jan 27, 2023, 8:41:15 AM1/27/23
Dramatic change in UCL! Bayern München does NOT count anymore, IMHO. But, hey, who said betting meant a guarantee?! Yet, they are still in 2nd place betting-wise:

• Manchester City +175
• Bayern Munich +650
• PSG +700
• Liverpool +900
• Real Madrid +1200
• Napoli +1400
Napoli, anyone? O sole mio…

By the way –
UEFA should change the rule regarding the final. The match should be replayed if it ends in a tie after 120 minutes. The champion determined 3 days later, even in a penalty shootout, will deserve a lot more credibility and respect. See also:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/f2B8MDSqA00/m/h2qbxzLIAwAJ
• The 2022 World Cup Best Team-Odds

Mark

Jan 28, 2023, 5:21:34 AM1/28/23
Isn't UCL Union Champions League? UEFA is already an abbreviation; you can't abbreviate it further to U. That makes no sense.

Ion Saliu

Jan 28, 2023, 6:50:02 AM1/28/23
The bottle again? The pipe again?

Blueshirt

Jan 28, 2023, 7:12:26 AM1/28/23
U [EFA] C [hampions] L [eague] IS an abbreviation...

The Doctor

Jan 28, 2023, 10:56:55 AM1/28/23
In article <nnd$3d28d85b$3a475893@2df8ce65b663bc09>,
Who is the dunce?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Birthdate: 29 Jan 1969 Redhill, Surrey, England Beware https://mindspring.com

Blueshirt

Jan 28, 2023, 12:54:05 PM1/28/23
Nobody is a dunce.

Mark

Jan 29, 2023, 8:20:27 AM1/29/23
On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 12:12:26 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
> Mark wrote:

> > Isn't UCL Union Champions League? UEFA is already an abbreviation;
> > you can't abbreviate it further to U. That makes no sense.
> U [EFA] C [hampions] L [eague] IS an abbreviation...

The U part is an abbreviation for an abbreviation. That seems nonsensical and extremely lazy to me! UEFA CL is short enough surely? And if not, why not ECL for European Champions League? (In fact isn't EC1 already an established abbreviation for the Champions League anyway? Why not use that ?)

Ion Saliu

Jan 30, 2023, 11:56:07 AM1/30/23
Piper:

UEFA is a CONCEPTUAL abbreviation: It is a WORD of its own. Exactomundo like FIFA, etc. Therefore, ‘UCL’ is the correct abbreviation in the world of the sober. Put that pipe away! Put that bottle away!

Mark

Jan 31, 2023, 6:20:01 AM1/31/23
I've never heard of a conceptual abbreviation. So UEFA is a concept, and U is an abbreviation for that concept? Is that what you're saying? I'm not convinced it's a word.

What's this pipe and bottle you keep mentioning?

Ion Saliu

Feb 15, 2023, 5:37:09 AM2/15/23
On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 1:50:59 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
Round of 16 – Results

Tuesday, February 14, 2023
• Paris SG – Bayern 0 – 1
• Milan – Tottenham 1 – 0

Ion Saliu

Feb 16, 2023, 7:06:33 AM2/16/23
On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 12:37:09 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
> On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 1:50:59 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
> > Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:
> >
> > Following is the UCL draw, the round of 16, 2022-2023
> >
> > • Leipzig – Manchester City
> > • Brugge – Benfica
> > • Liverpool – Real Madrid
> > • Milan – Tottenham
> > • Frankfurt – Napoli
> > • Dortmund – Chelsea
> > • Inter – Porto
> > • Paris SG – Bayern
> >
> > The team listed first is the host in the first leg. The team listed second is the host in the second leg.
> >
> > • First-leg dates: February 14 – 15 and February 21 – 22
> > •• Second-leg dates: March 7 – 8 and March 14 – 15.
> >
> Round of 16 – Results
>
> Tuesday, February 14, 2023
> • Paris SG – Bayern 0 – 1
> • Milan – Tottenham 1 – 0

Round of 16 – Results

Wednesday, February 15, 2023
• Brugge – Benfica 0 – 2
• Dortmund – Chelsea 1 – 0

UCL was clearly eclipsed by EPL. Arsenal – Manchester City derby was more widely watched than either Champions League match.

Ion Saliu

Feb 22, 2023, 4:35:50 AM2/22/23
Round of 16 – Results
---------------------------

Tuesday, February 21, 2023
----------------------------------
• Liverpool – Real Madrid 2 – 5
• Frankfurt – Napoli 0 – 2

Ion Saliu

Feb 23, 2023, 4:49:04 AM2/23/23
Round of 16 – Results
----------------------------

Wednesday, February 22, 2023
------------------------------------
• Leipzig – Manchester City 1 – 1
• Inter – Porto 1 – 0

Ion Saliu

Feb 23, 2023, 5:08:49 AM2/23/23
Tuesday, February 21, 2023
-------------------------------------
• Liverpool – Real Madrid 2 – 5

A memorable game! The greatest match in the history of UEFA Champions League, some reckon? I can only say, from my perspective, that soccer needs higher scoring and turning the tables. After 0 – 2, Real Madrid scored 5 unanswered goals.

Grave mistakes, gaffes, as a matter of fact, contributed to the final score. The sport of soccer needs… more mistakes of colossal proportions. It makes the game more spectacular. That’s what the Americans like best in sports. FIFA always complains that the USA is not more heavily involved in international soccer. Well, then, change the rules so that more dramatic “gaffes” are possible…

The Doctor

Feb 23, 2023, 8:03:19 AM2/23/23
Ion Saliu <ions...@gmail.com> wrote:
: > > > Round of 16 ? Results
: > > > -----------------------------------------
: > > >
: > > > ? Paris SG ? Bayern 0 ? 1
: > > > ? Milan ? Tottenham 1 ? 0
: > > ? Brugge ? Benfica 0 ? 2
: > > ? Dortmund ? Chelsea 1 ? 0
: > ? Liverpool ? Real Madrid 2 ? 5
: > ? Frankfurt ? Napoli 0 ? 2
: ? Leipzig ? Manchester City 1 ? 1
: ? Inter ? Porto 1 ? 0

Benfica, Napoli and RM might have it easy.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
When inexperience thinks it knows what it is doing, stand back. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Feb 24, 2023, 7:33:00 AM2/24/23
“Benfica, Napoli and RM might have it easy.”

You mean qualifying to sfârtaie. I agree. I would add Dortmund and “Once Blitzkrieg” Bayern to the ‘Lucky Luciano Eight’.

Ion Saliu

Mar 8, 2023, 5:20:34 AM3/8/23
Round of 16 – 2nd Leg – Results

Tuesday, March 7, 2023
• Benfica – Brugge 5 – 1
• Chelsea – Dortmund 2 – 0

The Doctor

Mar 8, 2023, 11:15:05 AM3/8/23
Ion Saliu <ions...@gmail.com> wrote:
: Round of 16 ? 2nd Leg ? Results
: ----------------------------------------------

: Tuesday, March 7, 2023
: -------------------------------------------------
: ? Benfica ? Brugge 5 ? 1
: ? Chelsea ? Dortmund 2 ? 0

Benfica and Chelsea in the Hat!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Hiding reality from people is no way to deal with reality. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Mar 9, 2023, 3:57:30 AM3/9/23
On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:20:34 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
> Round of 16 – 2nd Leg – Results
>
> Tuesday, March 7, 2023
> • Benfica* – Brugge 5 – 1
> • Chelsea* – Dortmund 2 – 0

Round of 16 – 2nd Leg – Results

Wednesday, March 8, 2023
• Bayern* – Paris SG 2 – 0
• Tottenham – Milan* 0 – 0

* = advanced to sfârtaie (quarterfinals)

The Doctor

Mar 9, 2023, 8:19:14 AM3/9/23
Ion Saliu <ions...@gmail.com> wrote:
: On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:20:34?PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
: > Round of 16 ? 2nd Leg ? Results
: > ----------------------------------------------
: >
: > Tuesday, March 7, 2023
: > -------------------------------------------------
: > ? Benfica* ? Brugge 5 ? 1
: > ? Chelsea* ? Dortmund 2 ? 0

: Round of 16 ? 2nd Leg ? Results
: ----------------------------------------------------

: Wednesday, March 8, 2023
: -------------------------------------------------
: ? Bayern* ? Paris SG 2 ? 0
: ? Tottenham ? Milan* 0 ? 0

: * = advanced to sf?rtaie (quarterfinals)

So far in the hat

Benfica (POR) Chelsea (ENG) BMunich (GER) ACMilan (ITA)

--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
If it is so good, why all the lies? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Mar 14, 2023, 6:05:24 PM3/14/23

Tuesday, March 14, 2023
• Manchester City* – Leipzig 7 – 0!!! (Haaalaand scored 5)
• Porto – Inter* 0 – 0

Real Mardin

Mar 14, 2023, 6:19:15 PM3/14/23
In injury time Porto hit the woodwork twice and also forced a clearance very close to the line but ultimately it wasn't meant to be.

Inter lucky? Perhaps, but then even the best teams need a little luck in cup football.

RM

The Doctor

Mar 14, 2023, 7:47:43 PM3/14/23
In article <7cdaac1f-ba70-4f4f...@googlegroups.com>,
So AC, Inter, ManC, Chelsea, Benfica and BMunich in the hat.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Too little suffering leads us to suffering. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Mar 15, 2023, 6:56:51 AM3/15/23
VERY!
Perhaps, but then even the best teams need a little luck in cup football.

Blitzkrieg City didn't need any.

Ion Saliu

Mar 15, 2023, 6:05:11 PM3/15/23
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
• Real Madrid* – Liverpool 1 – 0
• Napoli* – Frankfurt 3 – 0

The Doctor

Mar 15, 2023, 7:32:16 PM3/15/23
In article <31f2d3d1-dc21-4a6b...@googlegroups.com>,
So in the Hat: Benfica (POR) Chelsea (ENG) BMUnich (GER) ACMilan (ITA)
Man C (ENG) Inter Milan (ITA) RMadrid (ESP *) Napoli (ITA)

3 ITA
2 ENG
1 ESP , GER, POR

--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
There is always a price to pay for convenience. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Mar 16, 2023, 6:41:40 AM3/16/23
Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:

This phase of UCL, the quarterfinals, has a special relevance. Only the teams with a consistent presence in the quarterfinals for the past ten years win the Champions League title. This year, the following teams fall in that category: Real Madrid, Bayern München, Chelsea, and Manchester City. The latter has never won the competition, but has a chance now. It has reached the QF consistently, after all.

Therefore, this competitional stage of UCL deserves a special name: Sfârtaie.

The draw takes place at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday 17 March. The ceremony begins at 12:00 CET and will be streamed live on UEFA.com.

The teams in the Champions League sfârtaie –

Bayern (GER)
Benfica (POR)
Chelsea (ENG)
Inter (ITA)
Man City (ENG)
Milan (ITA)
Napoli (ITA)
Real Madrid (ESP)

I stick with my first bet: Blitzkrieg Bayern.

Ion Saliu

Mar 17, 2023, 7:56:53 AM3/17/23
On Thursday, March 16, 2023 at 12:41:40 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:

> Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:
> This phase of UCL, the quarterfinals, has a special relevance. Only the teams with a consistent presence in the quarterfinals for the past ten years win the Champions League title. This year, the following teams fall in that category: Real Madrid, Bayern München, Chelsea, and Manchester City. The latter has never won the competition, but has a chance now. It has reached the QF consistently, after all.
>
> Therefore, this competitional stage of UCL deserves a special name: Sfârtaie.
>
> The draw takes place at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday 17 March. The ceremony begins at 12:00 CET and will be streamed live on UEFA.com.
>
> The teams in the Champions League sfârtaie –
>
> Bayern (GER)
> Benfica (POR)
> Chelsea (ENG)
> Inter (ITA)
> Man City (ENG)
> Milan (ITA)
> Napoli (ITA)
> Real Madrid (ESP)
>
> I stick with my first bet: Blitzkrieg Bayern.

Champions League Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)

April 11, 2023
-----------------------
• Real Madrid – Chelsea

April 11, 2023
-----------------------
• Benfica – Inter

April 12, 2023
-----------------------
• Man City – Bayern

April 12, 2023
-----------------------
• Milan – Napoli

* 2nd leg April 18/19

Champions League Semifinals

May 9, 2023
• Milan / Napoli — Benfica / Inter

May 10, 2023
• Real Madrid / Chelsea — Man City / Bayern

* 2nd leg May 16/17

Champions League Final

June 10, 2023, Istanbul, Turkey
• Real Madrid / Chelsea / Man City / Bayern — Milan / Napoli / Benfica / Inter

• There is no 2nd leg, but there should be a 2nd leg IF there is a tie after 120 minutes. Only the 2nd match should determine the Champion by way of penalty kicks. Dixi!
Message has been deleted

Ion Saliu

Mar 17, 2023, 9:45:55 AM3/17/23
On Friday, March 17, 2023 at 3:29:21 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomatici et al.:

“Houston, we got a problem!” Look at this matchup in sfârtaie: Man City – Bayern. They are the top betting favorites. That is, they were the top two favorites to win the Champions League.

Yes, betting is an indicator. Thorough analysis goes into setting the odds. The bookies invest a lot of money, because they could lose a lot of money. Beginning with sfârtaie, there are no longer restrictions in the draw. Anybody can play anybody, regardless of country or city.

But how about the potential? Evidently, not all teams are equal. “Some animals are more equal than others,” as George Orwell put it so eloquently. So, to cut it to the chase, I propose UEFA (and all other sports confederations) should drop the draws altogether.

Instead of draws, they should apply the procedure in the NCAA basketball competition known as “March Madness”. Applied to UEFA Champions League sfârtaie, the following matchups should be established based on betting ranks:

• #8 v. #1
• #7 v. #2
• #6 v. #3
• #5 v. #4

Next, the following matchups should comprise the semifinals:

• #4 v. #1
• #3 v. #2

As for the Final, the lowest ranked team should be the “organizer” (“host”).

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu,
Founder of Sports-betting Mathematics

https://saliu.com/censorship.html
• "Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."

https://saliu.com/betting.html
• Theory and Strategy of Sports Prognostication or Betting

Ion Saliu

Mar 17, 2023, 9:59:59 AM3/17/23
Odds to win 2022-23 UEFA Champions League, March 17, 2023

Manchester City +175
Bayern Munich +275
Real Madrid +550
Napoli +600
Chelsea +1000
Inter Milan +2000
Benfica +2500
AC Milan +3300

Based on the criterion in my previous post, the fairest UCL Sfârtaie should have been as follows:

• Milan – Man City
• Benfica – Bayern
• Inter – Real Madrid
• Chelsea – Napoli

Most likely, there will be new seedings for the semifinals.

Ion Saliu

Apr 11, 2023, 5:01:52 PM4/11/23

Champions League Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals) – 1st Leg Results

April 11, 2023
-------------------------
• Benfica – Inter 0 – 2
• Man City – Bayern 3 – 0

The Doctor

Apr 11, 2023, 7:28:23 PM4/11/23
In article <45f2c14d-cf8f-4b17...@googlegroups.com>,
Still to interestng!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
We do not destroy what is dear to us. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Apr 12, 2023, 7:02:12 AM4/12/23
On Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 12:01:52 AM UTC+3, Ion Saliu wrote:
> Champions League Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals) – 1st Leg Results
>
> April 11, 2023
> -------------------------
> • Man City – Bayern 3 – 0

Ultra Axiomatics:

It was a game-of-thrones-like between Fantasy and Fear. “Blitzkrieg” Bayern entered the match fantasizing about another humiliating skore against an English team; e.g. 7 – 2 against Tottenham and 3 – 0 against Chelsea, both in London, a couple of years ago. Manchester City, managed by a former Bartzelonian, feared a humiliating defeat, like that 2 – 8, also a couple of years ago. Perhaps a 0 – 5+ defeat would cure Bayern of their “addiction”.

Ion Saliu

Apr 12, 2023, 5:05:47 PM4/12/23
On Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 12:01:52 AM UTC+3, Ion Saliu wrote:
April 12, 2023
-----------------------------
• Real Madrid – Chelsea 2 – 0
• Milan – Napoli 1 – 0

Champions League Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals) – 2nd Leg Schedule

April 18, 2023
-----------------------
• Napoli – Milan
• Chelsea – Real Madrid

April 19, 2023
-----------------------
• Bayern – Man City
• Inter – Benfica

The Doctor

Apr 12, 2023, 6:44:20 PM4/12/23
In article <54b90cfb-b82f-40aa...@googlegroups.com>,
Too close to call.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
They who demand you ignore the elephant in the room are not working with your best interests in mind. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

Apr 13, 2023, 6:18:13 AM4/13/23

You can fill your 2023 Champions League bracket on UEFA site:

https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uclbracket/
• Your Champions League bracket

I completed my bracket:

• Semifinals
Real Madrid — Man City
Napoli — Inter

• Final
Man City — Napoli

• Champion
Man City

Here is the image:

https://Saliu.com/images/UCL2023Bracket.png

You can do your own bracket and post it here…

Ion Saliu

Apr 18, 2023, 5:02:19 PM4/18/23
Champions League Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals) – 2nd Leg Results

April 18, 2023
-------------------------------
• Napoli – Milan * 1 – 1
• Chelsea – Real Madrid * 0 – 2

* advanced to semifinals

Ion Saliu

Apr 19, 2023, 5:01:23 PM4/19/23
April 19, 2023
---------------------------
• Bayern – Man City * 1 – 1
• Inter * – Benfica 3 – 3

* advanced to semifinals

Champions League Semifinals
---------------------------

May 9/10, 2023
--------------------------
• Milan — Inter
• Real Madrid — Man City

Ion Saliu

Apr 20, 2023, 6:36:43 AM4/20/23

Champions League Semifinals – 1st Leg Schedule

May 9, 2023
-------------------------
• Real Madrid — Man City

May 10, 2023
---------------
• Milan — Inter

Champions League Semifinals – 2nd Leg Schedule

May 16, 2023
---------------
• Inter — Milan

May 17, 2023
------------------------
• Man City — Real Madrid

Ultra Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomaticilor et al.:

I wonder, what’s the purpose of this form of idiocy in scheduling? It does create an advantage for some teams. They benefit from two extra days of rest. It does count, UEFA stupidiots! Some explain to me that they have large egos, them UEFA fat-cats. And that creates idiots, by and large.

The Doctor

Apr 20, 2023, 7:53:53 AM4/20/23
In article <a94db5a0-7fc7-4bad...@googlegroups.com>,
Milan Police now in super active mode!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
If their system is so great, why must we all lie about it? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

May 9, 2023, 5:00:47 PM5/9/23
Champions League Semifinals – 1st Leg Results

May 9, 2023
-------------------------------
• Real Madrid — Man City: 1 – 1

Ion Saliu

May 10, 2023, 5:04:51 PM5/10/23
May 10, 2023
----------------------
• Milan — Inter: 0 – 2

* The first leg of the semifinals was way below the average level of sfârtaie. Mediocrity to the power of two…

Ion Saliu

May 11, 2023, 8:12:54 AM5/11/23

Champions League Semifinals – 2nd Leg Schedule

May 16, 2023
---------------
• Inter — Milan

May 17, 2023
------------------------
• Man City — Real Madrid

The stubborn idiocy in scheduling… persists… of course. Inter and Milan play their second-leg match after 6 days. Real Mad’ and Man’ City play their rematch after 8 days. They benefit from 2 extra days of rest. That matters even at the beginning of the season, let alone the ending period. The Milan — Inter footballers looked exhausted toward the end of their match. It’ll be worse and… uglier in the second leg.

Real Mad’ – Man’ City was boring enough — because of tiki-taka and fear of tiki-taka. Milan — Inter was a typical soccer match between two Italian teams: Ugly, violent, no clarity. Hey, that’s how the Italian teams won so many international trophies! As one famous ultra, Machiavelli, put it so eloquently: “The end justifies the means”.

“Cei care trec de sfârtaie
Nicicând nu o fac de oaie
Sunt cu adevărat berbeci:
Mielule *, de ei nu treci!”

* Also, indirect reference to ‘Mielu lu Mnezău’ (‘God’s Rabid Lamb’), former-actual owner of ZCSB.

Blueshirt

May 11, 2023, 12:40:19 PM5/11/23
Ion Saliu wrote:

> Champions League Semifinals – 2nd Leg Schedule
>
> May 16, 2023
> ---------------
> • Inter — Milan
>
> May 17, 2023
> ------------------------
> • Man City — Real Madrid
>
> The stubborn idiocy in scheduling… persists… of course. Inter and Milan
> play their second-leg match after 6 days. Real Mad’ and Man’ City play
> their rematch after 8 days. They benefit from 2 extra days of rest. That
> matters even at the beginning of the season, let alone the ending
> period. The Milan — Inter footballers looked exhausted toward the end of
> their match. It’ll be worse and… uglier in the second leg.

The six day/eight day break thing is a bit silly and probably unfair but
it's mainly to do with TV rights, as both match-days can be in different
'packages'. In some countries one TV channel has the rights to Tuesday
night Champions League games and another channel has the rights to
Wednesday night Champions League games. (In Ireland, for instance, RTE
gets the Tuesday matches, Virgin Media gets the games on Wednesday.)
Players being tired or not, is not a part of it!

Ion Saliu

May 12, 2023, 7:01:48 AM5/12/23
Axiomatic One:

Granted, TV is the lifeline of professional sports. There wouldn’t be professional sports without television. The per-day packaging of TV rights is weird and rather unusual. UEFA (and sport's governing bodies) should not — must not — schedule based on an insignificant factor. The players’ performance, and especially health, are far more important factors.

The final stages of competition always attract more attention. Alas! They are of lower quality and the clumsy excuse is: “The players are ever-so-tired this late in the season!”

Blueshirt

May 12, 2023, 9:52:53 AM5/12/23

Blueshirt

May 12, 2023, 12:30:51 PM5/12/23
Ion Saliu wrote:

> > Granted, TV is the lifeline of professional sports. There wouldn’t be
> > professional sports without television. The per-day packaging of TV
> > rights is weird and rather unusual. UEFA (and sport's governing bodies)
> > should not — must not — schedule based on an insignificant factor. The
> > players’ performance, and especially health, are far more important
> > factors.

UEFA would say that their revenue from TV broadcasting rights is very
important and maybe point out that without that income we wouldn't have
the Champions League tournament that we have today...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/378203/rights-revenue-of-uefa/

[Outdated stats, but the income graph and revenue generated is telling]

Ion Saliu

May 16, 2023, 5:02:08 PM5/16/23
Champions League Semifinals – 2nd Leg Results

May 16, 2023
------------------------
• Inter* — Milan: 1 – 0

* advanced to final

The Doctor

May 16, 2023, 7:20:03 PM5/16/23
In article <542da44a-c0bc-4459...@googlegroups.com>,
Inter goes forth!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Alberta 29 May 2023 boot out the UCP and the NDP! Beware https://mindspring.com

Ion Saliu

May 17, 2023, 5:25:44 AM5/17/23
On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 2:20:03 AM UTC+3, The Doctor wrote:

> Inter goes forth!

> Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
> Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!
> Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b
> Alberta 29 May 2023 boot out the UCP and the NDP! Beware https://mindspring.com

Watch out, Sultan Erdogan (ex-goalkeeper)! The Istanbul Final could pit:

Inter Demolition vs Man Boredom!

"Yahweh, Yahweh, King of goats
Don't jump at our throats
Let people live on Usenet,
Don't fuque the Internet!"

Ion Saliu

May 17, 2023, 4:57:58 PM5/17/23
Champions League Semifinals – 2nd Leg Results

May 17, 2023
-------------------------------
• Man City* — Real Madrid: 4 – 0 (???)

* advanced to final

Champions League Final
----------------------

June 10, 2023, Istanbul, Turkey
-------------------------------
• Man City — Inter

The Doctor

May 17, 2023, 6:01:16 PM5/17/23
In article <9d504f68-1d26-4d03...@googlegroups.com>,
Thug fest!

Ion Saliu

Jun 11, 2023, 5:52:39 AM6/11/23
UEFA Champions League Final
---------------------------

June 10, 2023, Istanbul, Turkey
-------------------------------
• Man City — Inter: 1 – 0

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! The most anticipated sporting event of the year of grace 2023 only magnified the fundamental weakness of soccer: L0W SCORING. The game is played on a very large field and, by rules, it is extremely hard to score. Therefore, there ain’t too much scoring; in turn, it all becomes a two-hour long BOREDOM.

By contrast, American pro sports are significantly more exciting. It is now the time of the NBA finals and the NHL finals (Stanley Cup). Of course, basketball is a high-scoring sport. Hockey is just a bit higher-scoring than soccer, but it is very fast, with almost non-stop action.

Both sports are a lot more exciting to watch for neutral viewers. In soccer, only the proper fans find the game exciting. They do not watch a sporting event — they live a… near-death experience. They live only for the RESULT. There is only the forest… without trees!

Incidentally, there is also a final in Grand Slam tennis this time of year: the French Open. That also is a much more exciting event than soccer for neutral fans.

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder Philosophical Science of Sports

Ion Saliu

Jun 11, 2023, 6:05:41 AM6/11/23
> Founder of Philosophical Science of Sports

All those billions of petrodollars spent by some soccer maniacs with deep pockets! For what? For a “jewelry of crap”?!

I repeat for the Nth time. Soccer needs major changes in rules. Make the game more exciting. Hockey did it about a couple of decades ago. Even if there would be more mistakes “committed” by the players. The most exciting soccer match of this 2022–2023 season was one full of severe mistakes: Liverpool – Real Madrid 2 – 5.

Let the mistakes flood the pitch! It is so much more exciting. For starters, get rid of the antagonizing rule of offside. Also, make illegal passing to own goalkeeper. More mistakes would occur; therefore, higher scoring.

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Sports

Mark

Jun 11, 2023, 7:07:49 AM6/11/23
On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 10:52:39 AM UTC+1, Ion Saliu wrote:
> UEFA Champions League Final
> ---------------------------
> June 10, 2023, Istanbul, Turkey
> -------------------------------
> • Man City — Inter: 1 – 0
>
> BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! The most anticipated sporting event of the year of grace 2023 only magnified the fundamental weakness of soccer: L0W SCORING. The game is played on a very large field and, by rules, it is extremely hard to score. Therefore, there ain’t too much scoring; in turn, it all becomes a two-hour long BOREDOM.

It wasn't particularly anticipated by me. I watched the Women's Champions League Final instead. That was a good match.

And of course there's always other better tournaments like the Copa Libertadores and the Women's World Cup.

> By contrast, American pro sports are significantly more exciting. It is now the time of the NBA finals and the NHL finals (Stanley Cup). Of course, basketball is a high-scoring sport. Hockey is just a bit higher-scoring than soccer, but it is very fast, with almost non-stop action.
>
> Both sports are a lot more exciting to watch for neutral viewers. In soccer, only the proper fans find the game exciting. They do not watch a sporting event — they live a… near-death experience. They live only for the RESULT. There is only the forest… without trees!
>
> Incidentally, there is also a final in Grand Slam tennis this time of year: the French Open. That also is a much more exciting event than soccer for neutral fans.
>
> Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
> Founder Philosophical Science of Sports

I watched the Netball World Cup Final in 2019, and felt there were too many goals! A lead of less than 5 goals felt kind of inconsequential. So it is possible to go too far the other way.

Ion Saliu

Jun 11, 2023, 8:52:09 AM6/11/23
On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 2:07:49 PM UTC+3, Mark wrote:

> It wasn't particularly anticipated by me. I watched the Women's Champions League Final instead. That was a good match.

Good for you, axiomático!

> And of course there's always other better tournaments like the Copa Libertadores and the Women's World Cup.

I’ve always liked the Women’s World Cup better than the men’s tight-up brawl. Women play more spectacularly, being less concerned with the result. Still on the plus side, it is sexier (in the best meaning of the word!)

The final at Roland Garros is coming up. It is must-see TV…

Ion Saliu

Jun 11, 2023, 1:17:09 PM6/11/23
On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 3:52:09 PM UTC+3, Ion Saliu wrote:

> The final at Roland Garros is coming up. It is must-see TV…

Ultra-Axiomatics:

Novak Djoković has won his 23rd Grand Slam title at Roland Garros… 2023! He is now the UNDISPUTED GOAT — The Greatest Of All Time. Now, that’s a REAL champion!