Unused Subs in World Cup finals matches

Steve Flanagan

Jul 13, 2021, 12:36:32 PM7/13/21
All

From the 1970 World Cup through to 1990, teams could only use 2 of 5 subs rather than from the rest of the non-starting squad.

I'm trying to compile a list of all unused subs in these World Cups. 1982 and 1990 have been completed, but I'm still missing the majority from 1970 and 1974, and smaller numbers from 1978 and 1986. Unfortunately FIFA have (in their collective wisdom!) listed all of the squad members as available substitutes for these matches.

I would be most grateful if anyone can fill in any blanks from the following (or point me to where this info may be available):

1970 (Mexico) - 26 matches
Group One: All matches except Mexico v Soviet Union
Group Two: All matches
Group Three: All matches except those involving England (so Brazil v Czechoslovakia; Romania v Czechoslovakia and Brazil v Romania)
Group Four: All matches
Quarter Finals: All matches except England v West Germany
Semi Finals: All matches
Third Place match: West Germany v Uruguay

1974 (West Germany) - 29 matches
Group One: East Germany v Australia; Chile v East Germany; Australia v Chile; East Germany v West Germany
Group Two: Yugoslavia v Zaire; Scotland v Brazil; Scotland v Yugoslavia; Zaire v Brazil
Group Three: All matches except Uruguay v Netherlands
Group Four: All matches
Semi Final Group A: All matches except Argentina v Brazil
Semi Final Group B: All matches except West Germany v Sweden

1978 (Argentina) - 9 matches
Group One: Italy v Hungary
Group Two: West Germany v Mexico; West Germany v Tunisia
Group Three: Brazil v Austria
Group Four: Netherlands v Iran
Semi Final Group A: Italy v Austria; Austria v West Germany
Semi Final Group B: Brazil v Peru; Argentina v Peru

1986 (Mexico) - 17 matches
Group A: Argentina v South Korea; South Korea v Bulgaria; Argentina v Bulgaria
Group B: Paraguay v Iraq; Mexico v Paraguay; Iraq v Belgium
Group C: Canada v France; Soviet Union v Hungary; Hungary v Canada; Soviet Union v Canada
Group D: Northern Ireland v Spain; Algeria v Spain
Group E: Uruguay v West Germany; Denmark v West Germany
Group F: All matches except those involving England (so Morocco v Poland; Poland v Portugal; Portugal v Morocco)

Many thanks in advance

Steve Flanagan

Futbolmetrix

Jul 13, 2021, 2:19:51 PM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 12:36:32 PM UTC-4, Steve Flanagan wrote:
> All
>
> From the 1970 World Cup through to 1990, teams could only use 2 of 5 subs rather than from the rest of the non-starting squad.
>
> I'm trying to compile a list of all unused subs in these World Cups. 1982 and 1990 have been completed, but I'm still missing the majority from 1970 and 1974, and smaller numbers from 1978 and 1986. Unfortunately FIFA have (in their collective wisdom!) listed all of the squad members as available substitutes for these matches.
>
> I would be most grateful if anyone can fill in any blanks from the following (or point me to where this info may be available):

Tough one. The usual channels I would use have not been much help. One possibility would be to find videos of the original matches, but that's obviously extremely time consuming.

> Semi Finals: All matches

Italy's subs in Italy-Germany 4-3 (using the video method) were Zoff, Poletti, Juliano, Rivera and Prati. No mention of the German subs :-(

> Group One: Italy v Hungary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7mLmBuSm7E
The Hungarian subs are listed after about 25 seconds of the video. The Italian subs are Paolo Conti, Cuccureddu, Zaccarelli, Claudio Sala and Graziani (named at about minute 2)

Sorry for being so little help :-(

Werner Pichler

Jul 13, 2021, 2:57:12 PM7/13/21
You'd think that as much as has been written and recorded about Córdoba that info should be easy to find,
but so far I've been stumped. I can only say with certainty that Erwin Fuchsbichler was reserve keeper.

Ciao,
Werner

Steve Flanagan

Jul 13, 2021, 3:17:06 PM7/13/21
Futbolmetrix/Werner

Thank you so much for the quick replies. Even though they are little snippets, they have helped and have moved me forward a tiny bit. Yes I've been trying the video route and stumbled across a nice little site (https://www.footballia.net/) which has full matches for all World Cups back to 1966 and a few matches from earlier editions (as well as matches from a lot more competitions besides) but you need to register (for free) to watch them.

Unfortunately quite a number of the videos miss out the team news at the start (or have foreign commentary which I haven't been able to pick up), plus it looks like the subs weren't even mentioned in the 1970 matches!

I agree with Werner, in that I've read so much about the Miracle of Cordoba, but nothing more than who appeared on the field. I think I've learnt about about the famous Austrian commentary than the subs :-)

Many thanks

Steve

anders t

Jul 13, 2021, 4:49:25 PM7/13/21
Quoting Steve Flanagan in rec.sport.soccer:
>All
>
>From the 1970 World Cup through to 1990, teams could only use 2 of 5 subs rather than from the rest of the non-starting squad.
>
>I'm trying to compile a list of all unused subs in these World Cups. 1982 and 1990 have been completed, but I'm still missing the majority from 1970 and 1974, and smaller numbers from 1978 and 1986. Unfortunately FIFA have (in their collective wisdom!) listed all of the squad members as available substitutes for these matches.
>
>I would be most grateful if anyone can fill in any blanks from the following (or point me to where this info may be available):
>
>1970 (Mexico) - 26 matches
>Group One: All matches except Mexico v Soviet Union
>Group Two: All matches

SWEDEN against Italy
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Claes Cronqvist
3 Kurt Axelsson
4 Björn Nordqvist (K)
5 Roland Grip
6 Jan Olsson
7 Tommy Svensson
8 Bo Larsson OUT 80
9 Leif Eriksson OUT 56
10 Ove Kindvall
11 Ove Grahn

Ersättare (subs)
12 Sven Gunnar Larsson (MV)
13 Krister Kristensson
14 Göran Nicklasson IN 80
15 Inge Ejderstedt IN 56
16 Sten Pålsson

SWEDEN against Israel
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Sven Gunnar Larsson (MV) (the fatal miss against Italy cost Hellström...)
2 Hans Selander
3 Kurt Axelsson
4 Jan Olsson
5 Roland Grip
6 Tommy Svensson (K)
7 Bo Larsson
8 Thomas Nordahl
9 Tom Turesson
10 Ove Kindvall
11 Örjan Persson OUT 75

Ersättare (subs)
12 Ronney Pettersson (MV)
13 Claes Cronqvist
14 Krister Kristensson
15 Göran Nicklasson
16 Sten Pålsson IN 75

SWEDEN against Uruguay
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Sven Gunnar Larsson (MV)
2 Hans Selander
3 Kurt Axelsson
4 Björn Nordqvist (K)
5 Roland Grip
6 Tommy Svensson
7 Bo Larsson
8 Göran Nicklasson OUT 84
9 Leif Eriksson
10 Ove Kindvall OUT 57
11 Örjan Persson

Ersättare (subs)
12 Ronney Pettersson (MV)
13 Claes Cronqvist
14 Krister Kristensson
15 Tom Turesson IN 57
16 Ove Grahn IN 84

>Group Three: All matches except those involving England (so Brazil v Czechoslovakia; Romania v Czechoslovakia and Brazil v Romania)
>Group Four: All matches
>Quarter Finals: All matches except England v West Germany
>Semi Finals: All matches
>Third Place match: West Germany v Uruguay
>
>1974 (West Germany) - 29 matches
>Group One: East Germany v Australia; Chile v East Germany; Australia v Chile; East Germany v West Germany
>Group Two: Yugoslavia v Zaire; Scotland v Brazil; Scotland v Yugoslavia; Zaire v Brazil
>Group Three: All matches except Uruguay v Netherlands

SWEDEN against Bulgaria
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Jan Olsson
3 Bo Larsson
4 Kent Karlsson
5 Björn Andersson
6 Ove Grahn
7 Staffan Tapper
8 Ove Kindvall OUT 73
9 Conny Torstensson
10 Ralf Edström
11 Roland Sandberg

Ersättare (subs)
12 Göran Hagberg (MV)
13 Roland Grip
14 Björn Nordqvist
15 Inge Ejderstedt
16 Benno Magnusson IN 73

SWEDEN against the Netherlands
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Jan Olsson OUT 74
3 Kent Karlsson
4 Björn Nordqvist
5 Björn Andersson
6 Staffan Tapper OUT 61
7 Ove Grahn
8 Bo Larsson
9 Inge Ejderstedt
10 Ralf Edström
11 Roland Sandberg

Ersättare (subs)
12 Göran Hagberg (MV)
13 Roland Grip IN 74
14 Örjan Persson IN 61
15 Conny Torstensson
16 Ove Kindvall

SWEDEN against Uruguay
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Björn Andersson
3 Kent Karlsson
4 Björn Nordqvist
5 Roland Grip
6 Ove Grahn
7 Ove Kindvall OUT 75
8 Bo Larsson
9 Benno Magnusson OUT 61
10 Ralf Edström
11 Roland Sandberg

Ersättare (subs)
12 Göran Hagberg (MV)
13 Jan Olsson
14 Staffan Tapper
15 Conny Torstensson IN 75
16 Thomas Ahlström IN 61

>Group Four: All matches
>Semi Final Group A: All matches except Argentina v Brazil
>Semi Final Group B: All matches except West Germany v Sweden

SWEDEN against Poland
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Björn Andersson OUT 61
3 Kent Karlsson
4 Björn Nordqvist
5 Roland Grip
6 Staffan Tapper OUT 80
7 Ove Grahn
8 Bo Larsson
9 Conny Torstensson
10 Ralf Edström
11 Roland Sandberg

Ersättare (subs)
12 Göran Hagberg (MV)
13 Jörgen Augustsson IN 61
14 Claes Cronqvist
15 Inge Ejderstedt
16 Thomas Ahlström IN 80

SWEDEN against BRD (for completeness)
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Jan Olsson
3 Kent Karlsson
4 Björn Nordqvist
5 Jörgen Augustsson
6 Staffan Tapper
7 Ove Grahn
8 Bo Larsson OUT 32
9 Conny Torstensson
10 Ralf Edström
11 Roland Sandberg

Ersättare (subs)
12 Göran Hagberg (MV)
13 Roland Grip
14 Sven Lindman
15 Örjan Persson
16 Inge Ejderstedt IN 32

SWEDEN against Yugoslavia
Formation: 4-3-3
1 Ronnie Hellström (MV)
2 Jan Olsson
3 Kent Karlsson
4 Björn Nordqvist (K)
5 Jörgen Augustsson
6 Staffan Tapper
7 Ove Grahn
8 Örjan Persson
9 Conny Torstensson
10 Ralf Edström
11 Roland Sandberg

No changes!
Ersättare (subs)
12 Göran Hagberg (MV)
13 Roland Grip
14 Claes Cronqvist
15 Sven Lindman
16 Thomas Ahlström

>1978 (Argentina) - 9 matches
>Group One: Italy v Hungary
>Group Two: West Germany v Mexico; West Germany v Tunisia
>Group Three: Brazil v Austria

For 1978 svenskfotboll.se shows all Swedish non starting players as subs.

--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

Steve Flanagan

Jul 17, 2021, 11:23:26 AM7/17/21
Anders

Thank you so much for these - much appreciated.

I already have the 1978 substitutes. For information, they are:

Brazil
12 Göran Hagberg (GK)
15 Torbjörn Nilsson
16 Conny Torstensson
20 Roland Andersson
22 Ralf Edström

Austria
12 Göran Hagberg (GK)
15 Torbjörn Nilsson
16 Conny Torstensson
20 Roland Andersson
22 Ralf Edström

Spain
12 Göran Hagberg (GK)
7 Anders Linderoth
11 Benny Wendt
16 Conny Torstensson
20 Roland Andersson

Regards

Steve

Steve Flanagan

Jul 20, 2021, 5:59:31 AM7/20/21
On Tuesday, 13 July 2021 at 21:49:25 UTC+1, anders t wrote:
Anders

Just as an aside, I had a look at the svenskfotboll.se website and for the 1978 competition it has the named substitutes as numbered 12 to 16 and the other members of the squads numbered from 90 onwards.

Regards (and thanks again for the information)

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 3, 2021, 11:08:18 AM8/3/21
Steve,

I am actually looking for similar information. Where were you able to find info for 1970, 74 and 78? Additionally, how are you dealing with info for 1994-2018? The reason I am asking is that I have found info but it is faulty. For example, for the sub roster for Bulgaria vs Argentina in 1994, Maradona is listed as a sub but he had already been suspended for doping.

Steve Flanagan

Aug 3, 2021, 11:27:27 AM8/3/21
Laura

The info for 1970, 1974 and 1978 has been sourced from a number of different places. As anders t has replied previously svenskfotboll.se provides the details for Sweden. www.englandfootballonline.com kindly provides the unused subs, for both teams, for all of England's matches. The rest has been gleaned from the very kind replies on here plus viewing the full match videos at https://www.footballia.net/ (you need to register for free to watch them). The majority of information for Netherlands has been taken from www.holland74.net and www.holland78.net (which provides the unused subs for some of their opponents as well). I also managed to glean some information from local newspaper reports as well, but they are very sporadic in providing unused substitute information.

As regards 1994 onwards, I do know that the rules were changed so that teams could use the permitted number of substitutes from the rest of the squad who were eligible to play. So, Maradona would not have been eligible (no matter what the reports on FIFA's website says), in much the same way that any player who had been sent off (or received 2 bookings) would also not have been eligible to be used as a substitute.

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 14, 2021, 12:20:50 PM8/14/21
Steve,

My husband connected with Mikhail Bernatov and he was able to provide info on the GER-AUT 1978 subs. They were the following:

-GER: Fischer, Schwarzenbeck, Zewe, H. Muller and Kargus
-AUT: Happich, Persidis, Oberacher, Baumesiter and Fuchsbichler

Steve Flanagan

Aug 16, 2021, 4:18:27 AM8/16/21
Laura

Many thanks for this - it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Ammammata

Aug 16, 2021, 4:45:17 AM8/16/21
Il giorno Tue 13 Jul 2021 10:49:22p, *anders t* ha inviato su
rec.sport.soccer il messaggio
news:outregte4bj13r250...@4ax.com. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

1 Bo Derek
> 2 Jan Olsson
> 3 Kent Karlsson
> 4 Björn Nordqvist (K)
> 5 Jörgen Augustsson
> 6 Staffan Tapper
7 Ludovico Zappaterra
8 Francesco Sittard
9 Alessandro Savoldelli
10 Piergiorgio Longherino
11 Gianfernando Gatti

:)

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Laura Camacho

Aug 16, 2021, 10:32:30 AM8/16/21

Steve,

Want other games are you still missing. I have a bit of info so I may be able to help.

By the way, the previous post I was not able to understand. It seems the names are for actors, but I am not sure.

Laura Camacho

Aug 16, 2021, 10:52:06 AM8/16/21
Sorry, the first sentence should read "What other games are you still missing?"

Steve Flanagan

Aug 16, 2021, 11:20:25 AM8/16/21
Laura

Thank you for the very kind offer. As you can imagine, the 1970 and 1974 editions are proving the most elusive at present.

I have the following still to find (in reverse order):

1986 (14 matches)
Group A: Argentina v South Korea; South Korea v Bulgaria; Argentina v Bulgaria
Group B: Paraguay v Iraq; Mexico v Paraguay
Group C: Soviet Union v Hungary; Hungary v Canada; Soviet Union v Canada
Group D: Northern Ireland v Spain; Algeria v Spain
Group E: Uruguay v West Germany; Denmark v West Germany
Group F: Morocco v Poland; Poland v Portugal

1978 (7 matches - 4 of which are partially complete)
Group 2: West Germany v Mexico; West Germany v Tunisia
Group 3: Brazil v Austria
Group 4: Netherlands v Iran (Iran only, Netherlands complete)

SF Group A: Italy v Austria (Austria only, Italy complete)
SF Group B: Brazil v Peru (Peru only, Brazil complete); Argentina v Peru (Argentina only, Peru complete)

1974 (28 matches - 10 of which are partially complete)
Group 1: East Germany v Australia; Chile v East Germany; Australia v Chile; East Germany v West Germany (East Germany only, West Germany complete)
Group 2: Yugoslavia v Zaire (Yugoslavia only, Zaire complete); Scotland v Brazil; Scotland v Yugoslavia; Zaire v Brazil
Group 3: Sweden v Bulgaria (Bulgaria only, Sweden complete); Bulgaria v Uruguay; Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only, Netherlands complete); Sweden v Uruguay (Uruguay only, Sweden complete)
Group 4: Italy v Haiti; Poland v Argentina; Argentina v Italy; Haiti v Poland; Argentina v Haiti; Poland v Italy

SF Group A: Netherlands v Argentina (Argentina only, Netherlands complete); Brazil v East Germany; East Germany v Netherlands (East Germany only; Netherlands complete); Argentina v East Germany; Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only; Netherlands complete)
SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany; Sweden v Poland (Poland only, Sweden complete); Poland v Yugoslavia; Poland v West Germany; Sweden v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only, Sweden complete)

1970 (22 matches - 4 of which are partially complete)
Group 1: Belgium v El Salvador; Soviet Union v Belgium; Mexico v El Salvador; Soviet Union v El Salvador; Mexico v Belgium
Group 2: Uruguay v Israel; Italy v Sweden (Italy only, Sweden complete); Uruguay v Italy; Sweden v Israel (Israel only, Sweden complete); Sweden v Uruguay (Uruguay only, Sweden complete), Italy v Israel
Group 3: Brazil v Czechoslovakia; Romania v Czechoslovakia; Brazil v Romania
Group 4: Peru v Bulgaria; Bulgaria v Morocco

Qtr Finals: Soviet Union v Uruguay; Italy v Mexico; Brazil v Peru
Semi Finals: Brazil v Uruguay; Italy v West Germany (West Germany only, Italy complete)

Third Place: West Germany v Uruguay

Any information you can provide will be most gratefully received.

Also, if there are any matches not on this list which you require the details for, then please do let me know. Hopefully I may be able to fill in any gaps that you may still have.

Kind regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 16, 2021, 2:00:39 PM8/16/21
Steve,

I have a few that might help you:

1986:
URU GER
Pereira Littbarski
Saralegui Rummenigge
Paz Stein
Ramos Jakobs
Otero Rolff

1978:
ITA AUT
Jara
Happich
Pirkner
Baumeister
Fuchsbichler

BRA AUT
Edinho Happich
Zico Weber
Reinaldo Schachner
Carlos Baumeister
Chicao Fuchsbichler

ARG PER
Baley
Galvan R
Houseman
Oviedo
Valencia

1974
URU SWE
Masnik
Cubilla
Santos
Cardaccio
Jimenez

If you feel that the info above is wrong or you need the sources, just let me know.

Jesus Petry

Aug 16, 2021, 2:09:40 PM8/16/21
I believe it was a joke about the fact that Sweden has now a player with a very Italian name (Guidetti).

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Steve Flanagan

Aug 16, 2021, 2:41:33 PM8/16/21
Laura

Wonderful. Thank you so much.

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 17, 2021, 10:47:13 AM8/17/21
Steve,

Here is what we have thus far regarding 1970:

BRA TCH
Ado Kvasnak
Roberto L Vesely B
Fontana Zlocha
Paulo Cesar Lima Albrecht M
Dario Vencel

BRA PER
Ado Correa R
Roberto L Gonzalez Javier
Joel C Cruzado
Paulo Cesar Lima Reyes E
Ze Maria Sotil

BRA URU
Marco Antonio Esparrago
Ado Santos H
Roberto L Sandoval
Joel C Caetano
Paulo Cesar Lima Gomez A

BUL MAR
Dimitrov I Faras
Bonev Jarir
Zhekov Dahane
Marashliev Choukri
Kamenski Ouaraghli

GER ITA
Weber W
Held
Fichtel
Libuda
Manglitz

ITA SWE
Rosato
Zoff
Rivera G
Juliano
Gori

ITA ISR
Cera Shmilovich-Rom
Zoff Talbi
Rivera G Romano
Juliano Shuruk
Gori Nossovsky

ITA MEX
Poletti Hernandez G
Zoff Borja E
Rivera G Mota A
Juliano Velarde
Gori Basaguren

MEX BEL
Hernandez G Devrindt
Borja E Trappeniers
Mota A Beurlet
Velarde Martens
Basaguren Verheyen J

URS URU
Logofet Esparrago
Kiselev Santos H
Yashin Sandoval
Nodia Caetano
Porkujan Gomez A

Futbolmetrix

Aug 17, 2021, 12:22:18 PM8/17/21
On Tuesday, August 17, 2021 at 10:47:13 AM UTC-4, Laura Camacho wrote:
> GER ITA
> Weber W
> Held
> Fichtel
> Libuda
> Manglitz

Italian subs: Zoff Poletti Juliano Rivera and Prati (mentioned earlier in the thread)

Laura Camacho

Aug 17, 2021, 2:05:02 PM8/17/21
I skipped one more from 1970:

URU ISR
Santos H Bar
Sandoval Bello
Caetano Borba
Bareño Vollach
Cortes J Nossovsky

Jesper Lauridsen

Aug 17, 2021, 3:20:17 PM8/17/21
On 2021-08-16, Jesus Petry <jesus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em segunda-feira, 16 de agosto de 2021 ąs 11:32:30 UTC-3, Laura Camacho escreveu:
>>
>> By the way, the previous post I was not able to understand. It seems the names are for actors, but I am not sure.
>
> I believe it was a joke about the fact that Sweden has now a player
> with a very Italian name (Guidetti).

I think it was about how the lengths of the names lined up.

Jesus Petry

Aug 17, 2021, 3:47:40 PM8/17/21
I didn't have the benefit of a fixed font to notice that. So I guess it was a composite joke.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Steve Flanagan

Aug 18, 2021, 5:49:16 AM8/18/21
Laura

That's fantastic. Just one quick query: In the ITA-ISR match you give Cera as one of the subs, but my records show him as starting. Have I got that wrong?

Regards

Steve

Steve Flanagan

Aug 18, 2021, 6:23:48 AM8/18/21
Following on from Laura's fantastic information, the updated 'wants' list is:

1986 (14 matches inc. 1 partially complete {completed teams indicated by †})
Group A: Argentina v South Korea; South Korea v Bulgaria; Argentina v Bulgaria
Group B: Paraguay v Iraq; Mexico v Paraguay
Group C: Soviet Union v Hungary; Hungary v Canada; Soviet Union v Canada
Group D: Northern Ireland v Spain; Algeria v Spain
Group E: Denmark v West Germany
Group F: Morocco v Poland; Poland v Portugal †

1978 (4 matches inc. 2 partially complete {completed teams indicated by †})
Group 2: West Germany v Mexico; West Germany v Tunisia
Group 4: Netherlands † v Iran

SF Group B: Brazil † v Peru

1974 (27 matches inc. 9 partially complete {completed teams indicated by †})
Group 1: East Germany v Australia; Chile v East Germany; Australia v Chile; East Germany † v West Germany
Group 2: Yugoslavia v Zaire †; Scotland v Brazil; Scotland v Yugoslavia; Zaire v Brazil
Group 3: Sweden † v Bulgaria; Bulgaria v Uruguay; Bulgaria v Netherlands †
Group 4: Italy v Haiti; Poland v Argentina; Argentina v Italy; Haiti v Poland; Argentina v Haiti; Poland v Italy

SF Group A: Netherlands † v Argentina; Brazil v East Germany; East Germany v Netherlands †; Argentina v East Germany; Netherlands † v Brazil
SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany; Sweden † v Poland; Poland v Yugoslavia; Poland v West Germany; Sweden † v Yugoslavia

1970 (11 matches inc. 2 partially complete {completed teams indicated by †})
Group 1: Belgium v El Salvador; Soviet Union v Belgium; Mexico v El Salvador; Soviet Union v El Salvador
Group 2: Uruguay v Italy; Sweden † v Israel; Sweden † v Uruguay
Group 3: Romania v Czechoslovakia; Brazil v Romania
Group 4: Peru v Bulgaria

Third Place: West Germany v Uruguay

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 18, 2021, 8:47:21 AM8/18/21
Steve,
Cera was listed as sub in the source that I checked. However, it did look wrong to me since he was never listed again as a sub. This does not mean it is fully wrong, it is just weird.

Laura Camacho

Aug 18, 2021, 8:48:48 AM8/18/21
El miércoles, 18 de agosto de 2021 a las 4:23:48 UTC-6, Steve Flanagan escribió:
Steve,

Today, my husband will be checking some old printed materials from the National Library. We may have new info today. I will keep you posted.

Laura Camacho

Aug 18, 2021, 3:57:26 PM8/18/21
Steve,

My husband's visit to the library was not a fruitful as we thought. He could only find the following:

-1974
ITA ARG
Albertosi Bargas
Wilson G Chazarreta
Juliano Glaria R
Causio Squeo
Boninsegna Santoro

GDR NED
Fritsche
Ducke
Kreishe
Streich
Blochwitz

HAI ITA
Piquant Albertosi
Andre F Sabadini
Ducoste Juliano
Barthelemy Causio
Louis W Anastasi

POL SWE
Kalinowski
Bulzacki
Cmikiewicz
Domarski
Kmiecik

POL YUG
Kalinowski Muzinic
Gut Jerkovic J
Bulzacki Pavlovic M
Deyna Petrovic V
Domarski Petrovic O

BRA ZAI
Renato V Kilasu
Valdomiro Kembo
Alfredo M. F. Kabasu
Marco Antonio Mavuba M
Edu A Kalambay

Juan B

Aug 18, 2021, 6:42:19 PM8/18/21
Hello,

As Steve F., I am trying to find this information.

Hereby some info that I am glad to share:

1986
ARG-KOR
Byun Byung-joo, Cho Kwang-rae, Cho Byung-deuk, Cho Young-jeung, Chung Jong-soo

BUL-ARG
Zdravkov, Velitchkov, Valov, Gospodinov, Pashev
Olarticoechea, Enrique, Islas, Clausen, Pasculli

FRA-CAN
Stopyra, Rust, Bibard, Genghini, Vercruysse

W.GERMANY-URU
Littbarski, Rummenigge, Stein, Jakobs, Rolff
Saralegui, Ramos, Otero, Pereyra, Rubén Paz

POL-POR
Jaime Magalhães, Futre, Jorge Martíns, João Pinto, José António

Could anyone share the unsubs of the final ARG-W.GERMANY? Thanks

1978
ITA-HUN
Cuccureddu, Graziani, P. Conti, C. Sala, Zaccarelli
Halász, A. Tóth, Gujdár, Bálint, Török

BRA-AUT
Chicão, Zico, Carlos, Edinho, Reinaldo
Happich, Weber, Fuchsbichler, Baumeister, Schachner

HOL-IRN
Nanninga, Schrijvers, Boskamp, Brandts, Poortvliet

ITA-AUT
Cuccureddu, Graziani, P. Conti, Antognoni, C. Sala
Pirkner, Fuchsbichler, Baumeister, Happich, Jara

PER-ARG
Gorriti, Sartor, Leguía, Mosquera, Percy Rojas
Oviedo, Houseman, Baley, Rubén Galván, Valencia

I miss the unsubs for ARG in this match:
ARG-FRA
Baratelli, Berdoll, Bracci, Papi, Rouyer

And the unsubs for POL in this match:
POL-MEX
Mendizábal, Hugo Rodríguez, Lugo, Medina, Ramos

1974
HOL-SUE
De Jong, Schrijvers, Geels, Israël, Rensenbrink
Grip, Persson, Hagberg, Kindvall, Torstensson

HOL-ARG
Israël, Schrijvers, De Jong, Keizer, Willy Van de Kerkhof

HOL-RDA
Schrijvers, De Jong, Israël, Keizer, Willy Van de Kerkhof
Kreische, Ducke, Blochwitz, Fritsche, Streich

HOL-BRA
De Jong, Israël, Schrijvers, Geels, René Van de Kerkhof

I miss the unsubs for W.GERMANY-AUSTRALIA (both teams), SCOTLAND-ZAIRE (both teams),
URU-HOL (only URU), HOL-ARG (only ARG), and POL-BRA (both teams)

Laura Camacho

Aug 18, 2021, 7:56:26 PM8/18/21

Laura Camacho

Aug 18, 2021, 8:06:04 PM8/18/21
El miércoles, 18 de agosto de 2021 a las 16:42:19 UTC-6, Juan B escribió:
Steve and everyone else,

I found some additional info for 1986:

IRK PAR
Minshid Battaglia
Aufi Caceres Virginio
Abidoun Cabral
Sharif Guasch
Hamdan Hicks

MEX PAR
Cruz Francisco Battaglia
Cobos Caceres Virginio
España Caballero L
Hermosillo Guasch
Heredia O Hicks

CAN URS
Moore T Dasaev
Segota Bessonov
Vrablic Demyanenko
Pakos Zavarov
Dolan Belanov

Laura Camacho

Aug 18, 2021, 8:27:55 PM8/18/21
Yet one more from 1986:

URS HUN
Bubnov Varga J
Bal Dajka
Rodionov Burcsa
Chanov Viktor Szendrei
Yevtushenko Kovacs K

Laura Camacho

Aug 19, 2021, 3:00:55 PM8/19/21
A few more from 1970:

BRA ROU
Marco Antonio Raducanu
Ado Coe
Roberto L Deleanu
Edu A Gergely
Dario Tataru

MEX SLV
Lopez Salgado Monge
Mota A Sermeño
Pulido H Castro G
Diaz Isidoro Mendez S
Basaguren Fernandez Gualberto

SLV URS
Cortes S Lovchev
Aparicio E Asatiani
Sermeño Yashin
Fernandez Gualberto Yevriuzhikin
Villalta Nodia

Laura Camacho

Aug 19, 2021, 8:31:08 PM8/19/21
Here is a bit more regarding 1970:

PER BUL
Correa R Gaydarski
Gonzalez Javier Yordanov S
Cruzado Nikodimov
Castillo Jose del Marashliev
Sotil Asparuhov

GER URU
Maier Esparrago
Schulz Santos H
Haller Sandoval
Lorenz Caetano
Lohr Bareño

ITA URU
Poletti Santos H
Zoff Sandoval
Juliano Fontes
Gori Caetano
Furino Zubia

MEX URS
Munguia A Shmuts
Padilla Afonin
Mota A Kiselev
Gonzalez Jose Luis Puzach
Basaguren Kmelnitsky

URU SWE
Cubilla L
Santos H
Sandoval
Fontes
Caetano

Juan B

Aug 20, 2021, 11:38:50 AM8/20/21
Thanks a million for your fantastic work, Laura Camacho.

Really appreciated.

Steve Flanagan

Aug 20, 2021, 11:46:25 AM8/20/21
Laura - this is brilliant thank you so much.

Juan - thanks you for your contributions as well - very much appreciated.

Couple of things to add:

1. Juan - you wanted to know the subs of some games, so here is what I have (squad numbers in square brackets):

1986
Argentina v W.Germany:
Arg: Clausen [8]; Garre [13]; Islas [15]; Pasculli [17]; Trobbiani [21]
W.Ger: Littbarski [7]; Voller [9]; Hoeness [20]; Rolff [21]; Immel [22]

1974
W.Germany v Australia:
W.Ger: Hottges [6]; Wimmer [7]; Netzer [10]; Holzenbein [17]; Kleff [22]
Aus: Abonyi [11]; Ollerton [13]; Williams [15]; Watkiss [18]; Milisavljevic [21]

Scotland v Zaire:
Sco: Johnstone [7]; Allan [12]; Cormack [15]; Ford [17]; Hutchison [18]
Zai: Kembo [9]; Ndimbi [12]; Mafu [15]; Mialo [16]; Ekofa [19]

Uruguay v Netherlands:
Uru: Santos [12]; Garisto [14]; Gonzalez [15]; Cardaccio [16]; Milar [19]

Netherlands v Argentina:
Arg: Unknown at present

Poland v Brazil:
Bra: Piazza [5]; Renato [12]; Marco Antonio [16]; Mirandinha [19]; Edu [20]
Pol: Fischer [1]; Gut [5]; Wieczorek [7]; Cmikiewicz [11]; Kapka [20]

Also, I have found 2 additional games:

1974 - Haiti v Poland
Hai: Louis [2]; Ducoste [5]; Racine [13]; Barthelemy [18]; Piquant [21]
Pol: Fischer [1]; Gut [5]; Bulzacki [8]; Cmikiewicz [11]; Domarski [19]

1986 - Bulgaria v South Korea:
Bul: Zhelyazkov [6]; Markov [14]; Yordanov [15]; Kostadinov 20]; Valov [22]
S.Kor: Cho Byung-deuk [1]; Lee Tae-ho [6]; Kim Jong-boo [7]; Kim Sam-soo [18]; Kim Yong-se [20]

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 20, 2021, 12:11:37 PM8/20/21
Steve,

Can you share your latest tally of what you have pending?

Steve Flanagan

Aug 20, 2021, 12:14:08 PM8/20/21
Sorry for posting successive messages, but I thought it would be easier to put this list separately.

Thanks to everyone's efforts (and, I think we can all agree, especially Laura [and her husband! 😁] - we have reduced the list substantially and the following is, from what I can gather, the matches still outstanding:

1970 (4 matches - 1 of which we have the details for one of the teams)

Group 1: Belgium v El Salvador; Soviet Union v Belgium

Group 2: Sweden v Israel (Israel only)

Group 3: Romania v Czechoslovakia

---

1974 (20 matches - 7 of which we have the details for one of the teams)

Group 1: East Germany v Australia; Chile v East Germany; Australia v Chile; East Germany v West Germany (East Germany only)

Group 2: Yugoslavia v Zaire (Yugoslavia only); Scotland v Brazil; Scotland v Yugoslavia

Group 3: Sweden v Bulgaria (Bulgaria only); Bulgaria v Uruguay; Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only)

Group 4: Poland v Argentina; Argentina v Haiti; Poland v Italy

SF Group A: Netherlands v Argentina (Argentina only); Brazil v East Germany; Argentina v East Germany; Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only)

SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany; Poland v West Germany; Sweden v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only)

---

1978 (4 matches - 2 of which we have the details for one of the teams)

Group 2: West Germany v Mexico; West Germany v Tunisia

Group 4: Netherlands v Iran (Iran only)

SF Group B: Brazil v Peru (Peru only)

---

1986 (7 matches - 2 of which we have the details for one of the teams)

Group A: Argentina v South Korea (Argentina only)

Group C: Hungary v Canada

Group D: Northern Ireland v Spain; Algeria v Spain

Group E: Denmark v West Germany

Group F: Morocco v Poland; Poland v Portugal (Poland only)

---

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 20, 2021, 12:27:03 PM8/20/21
All,

My husband still has some additional avenues to explore, particularly newspaper reports. We will let you know what we can find.

Jesus Petry

Aug 20, 2021, 4:28:45 PM8/20/21
This is all very cool. I hope you can later share this with rsssf.org and even wikipedia.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Mark

Aug 21, 2021, 3:43:06 AM8/21/21
That should be rsssf.com surely?

Laura Camacho

Aug 21, 2021, 10:28:15 PM8/21/21
We found one more:

1986:

ARG KOR
Almiron
Cuciuffo
Islas
Olarticoechea
Tapia C

Juan B

Aug 23, 2021, 3:53:19 PM8/23/21
Hi
Steve,
Could you please share the following matches?

1970
WEST GERMANY-MAROC
PERU-MAROC
WEST GERMANY-BULGARIA
WEST GERMANY-PERU
BRASIL-ITALY

1974
EAST GERMANY-WEST GERMANY (West Germany only)
YUGOSLAVIA-ZAIRE (Yugoslavia only)
BRASIL-ARGENTINA
WEST GERMANY-SWEDEN (West Germany only)

1978
ARGENTINA-FRANCE (Argentina only)
POLAND-MEXICO (Poland only)
Thank you!

1986
BELGIUM-IRAQ
FRANCE-CANADA (Canada only)
PORTUGAL-MAROC

About 1986:
SPAIN-ARGELIA
After checking the Spanish newspaper library (Marca, La Vanguardia, El Mundo Deportivo, etc.) at that time (June 1986), I found the following info:
Setién + Carrasco + Poli Rincón were angry at coach Miguel Muñoz and were not in the bench in that match. They 3 felt ignored by Muñoz.
Maceda played the 1st match against Brazil but got a serious injury and, at that time, he was already at the hospital in Madrid. Gordillo got injured in the previous match against Northern Ireland and was out of the team too.. So, by discard, I would say that the unsubs for Spain were:
Urruti or Ablanedo, Chendo and Julio Alberto. Sorry that can't be more precisely.

Steve Flanagan

Aug 23, 2021, 4:47:22 PM8/23/21
Juan

I have the following for these matches [squad numbers in brackets]:

1970
W.Germany v Morocco
WG: Schnellinger [3], Patzke [15], Lohr [17], Grabowski [20], Wolter [22]
Mor: Faras [9], Hazzaz [12], Fadili [13]. Alaoui [17], El Khiati [18]

Peru v Morocco
Per: Correa [12], Gonzalez [15], Cruzado [17], Del Castillo [18], Ramirez [22]
Mor: Fadili [13], Choukri [16], Alaoui [17], El Khiati [18], Ouaraghli [19]

W.Germany v Bulgaria
WG: Weber [6], Held [10], Patzke [15], Grabowski [20], Manglitz [21]
Bul: Shalamanov [2], Dimitrov [3], Yakimov [10], Yordanov [13], Mitkov [20]

W.Germany v Peru
WG: Weber [6], Patzke [15], Lorenz [16], Grabowski [20], Wolter [22]
Per: Correa [12], Gonzalez [15], Cruzado [17], Reyes [19], Ramirez [22]

Brazil v Italy
Bra: Marco Antonio [6], Ado [12], Roberto [13], Fontana [15], Caju [18]
Ita: Poletti [4], Zoff [12], Rivera [14], Juliano [18], Furino [21]

1974
E.Germany v W.Germany
WG: Hottges [6], Netzer [10], Bonhof [16], Holzenbein [17], Nigbur [21]

Yugoslavia v Zaire
I don't have any details of the Yugoslavia substitutes for this match I'm afraid. I only have the substitutes for Zaire.

Brazil v Argentina
Bra: Piazza [5], Renato [12], Marco Antonio [16], Mirandinha [19], Edu [20]
Arg: Carrascosa [7], Chazarreta [8], Houseman [11], Fillol [12], Perfumo [14]

W.Germany v Sweden
WG: Hottges [6], Cullmann [8], Grabowski [9], Flohe [15], Nigbur [21]

1978
Argentina v France
Arg: Alonso [1], Baley [3], Bertoni [4], Ortiz [16], Oviedo [17]

Poland v Mexico
Pol: Maculewicz [3], Rudy [10], Kupcewicz [13], Lubanski [19], Kukla [21]

1986
Belgium v Iraq
Bel: Renquin [5], Munaron [12], Grun [13], Clijsters [14], Veyt [18]
Irq: Maad Ibrahim [2], Rahim Hameed [11], Shaker Mahmoud [16], Basim Qasim [19], Ahmad Jassim [21]

France v Canada
Can: Lettieri [1], Segota [9], Pakos [13], Mitchell [14], Lowery [18]

Portugal v Morocco
Por: Martins [12], Morato [13], Diamantino [17], Aguas [19], Andre [21]
Mor: Merry [11], Ouadani [14], Amanallah [16], Souleimani [21], Mouddani [22]

Thanks you for the background to the Spain-Algeria substitutes. Very interesting, I know there was some issues with the Portugal squad during this World Cup as well.

I agree with your assumptions. I knew about Maceda and Gordillo, but I wasn't aware of the issues with Setien, Carrasco and Rincon (very interesting).

I would be very tempted to say that the substitute goalkeeper was probably Urruti as he was the sub for the games against Brazil and Northern Ireland as well as Spain's final match against Belgium, however, the following match against Denmark saw Ablanedo as the substitute goalkeeper which makes the issue a bit more complex.

Regards

Steve

Steve Flanagan

Aug 24, 2021, 7:00:58 AM8/24/21
A few more matches now found [squad numbers in brackets]:

1974
Group One: Chile v East Germany
CHI: Rodriguez [6], Machuca [12], Yavar [17], Farias [19], Olivares [21]
EGR: Kurbjuweit [2], Schnuphase [6], Ducke [9], Kreische [10], Blochwitz [21]

Group Two: Scotland v Brazil
SCO: Blackley [6], Johnstone [7], Allan [12], Cormack [15], Hutchison [18] - still trying to locate Brazil

Group Three: Sweden v Bulgaria
SWE: Nordqvist [4], Grip [13], Magnusson [15], Ejderstedt [16], Hagberg [17]
BUL: Mihailov [9], Aladzhov [12], Vasilev [13], Borisov [20], Staykov [21]

SF Group A: Netherlands v Argentina
NET: Israel [5], De Jong [7], Keizer [9], Van De Kerkhof [11], Schrijvers [18]
ARG: Bargas [5], Chazarreta [8], Glaria [9], Kempes [13], Santoro [21]

1986
Group C: Hungary v Canada
HUN: Roth [3], Dajka [9], Kovacs [20], Hajszan [21], Andrusch [22]
CAN: Moore [5], Segota [9], Sweeney [11], Mitchell [14], Dolan [22]

Group D: Northern Ireland v Spain
NIR: Stewart [11], Platt [12], Ramsey [16], McLelland [18], Hamilton [19]
ESP: Senor [7], Urruti [13], Chendo [15], Rincon [16], Caldere [18]

Group E: Denmark v West Germany
DEN: Simonsen [14], Qvist [16], Christensen [18], Eriksen [19], Bartram [20]
WGR: Littbarski [7], Magath [10], Rumenigge [11], Stein [12], Hoeness [20]

Group F: Poland v Portugal
POL: Przybys [2], Tarasiewicz [7], Karas [9], Zgutczynski [17], Wandzik [19]
POR: Pinto [2], Futre [10], Martins [12], Magalhaes [14], Antonio [16]

The missing games are now as follows:

1970 (4 matches inc. 1 match partially known)
Group One: Belgium v El Salvador, Soviet Union v Belgium
Group Two: Sweden v Israel (Israel only)
Group Three: Romania v Czechoslovakia

1974 (17 matches inc. 6 matches partially known)
Group One: East Germany v Australia, Australia v Chile, East Germany v West Germany (East Germany only)
Group Two: Yugoslavia v Zaire (Yugoslavia only), Scotland v Brazil (Brazil only), Scotland v Yugoslavia
Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay, Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only)
Group Four: Poland v Argentina, Argentina v Haiti, Poland v Italy

SF Group A: Brazil v East Germany, Argentina v East Germany, Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only)
SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany, Poland v West Germany, Sweden v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only)

1978 (4 matches inc. 2 matches partially known)
Group Two: West Germany v Mexico, West Germany v Tunisia
Group Four: Netherlands v Iran (Iran only)

SF Group B: Brazil v Peru (Peru only)

1986 (2 matches)
Group D: Algeria v Spain

Jesus Petry

Aug 24, 2021, 8:18:43 AM8/24/21
Indeed. I don't know why I thought of it as .org.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Laura Camacho

Aug 24, 2021, 10:17:28 AM8/24/21
Steve,

Can you share the details for the following?

1974: AUS-GER, CHI-GDR

Steve Flanagan

Aug 24, 2021, 11:00:37 AM8/24/21
On Tuesday, 24 August 2021 at 15:17:28 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Can you share the details for the following?
>
> 1974: AUS-GER, CHI-GDR

Laura

Australia v West Germany
AUS: Abonyi [11], Ollerton [13], Williams [15], Watkiss [18], Milisavljevic [21]
WGR: Hottges [6], Wimmer [7], Netzer [10], Holzenbein [17], Kleff [22]

Chile v East Germany
CHI: Veliz [11], Machuca [12], Lara [14], Yavar [17], Olivares [21]
EGR: Kurbjuweit [2], Schnuphase [6], Ducke [9], Kreische [10], Blochwitz [21]

Regards

Steve

Juan B

Aug 24, 2021, 12:21:35 PM8/24/21
Steve,

Remarkable work.

I need only:

1974
Yugoslavia v Zaire
(The substitutes for Zaire)

Thank you so much

Laura Camacho

Aug 24, 2021, 2:31:30 PM8/24/21
Team,

I just realized the subs for Italy when they played Poland in 1974
Albertosi
Wilson G
Juliano
Re Cecconi
Boninsegna

Message has been deleted

Juan B

Aug 24, 2021, 4:11:06 PM8/24/21
1986

ESP-ALG
Ablanedo, Chendo, Julio Alberto, Señor, Eloy

Lléo

Aug 24, 2021, 5:03:06 PM8/24/21
Juan B escreveu:
> 1986
>
> ESP-ALG
> Ablanedo, Chendo, Julio Alberto, Señor, Eloy

So they were rotating the reserve keepers. Brasil did that too in 1986, as well as Belgium in 1982.

Btw, cool thread indeed. Thanks to all of its contributors. I too hope this can find its way into rsssf
or Wikipedia :-)

--
Lléo

Juan B

Aug 24, 2021, 5:58:12 PM8/24/21
Hi, team

Yes, it seems so.

Finally it was possible to find the list of 16 players selected by Miguel Muñoz in this match, thanks to 'La Voz de Galicia' (online library edition). In one article, it is explained how the day before the match against Algeria, Muñoz gathered only the 16 selected players to watch videos about the opponent. The article says that Carrasco, Urruti, Setién, Rincón, Gordillo (injured) were not invited to come in.

In those years, media and National Teams were sharing the same flights, hotels, etc. so the journalists got the fresh news in first term.

Despite all the polemic around the team, Spain was kind of close to reach the semifinals (beaten by Belgium in penaltys). Zubizarreta has never been good at saving them. Ironically, Urruti, fantastic at saving penalty kicks, was on the bench in that game. For instance, one month before starting the World Cup, Urruti saved 2 penalty kicks for FC Barcelona in the CL final against Steaua Bucuresti.

I wonder what it could have happened if Muñoz put Urruti in the field for the penalty kicks (as Van Gaal did with Krul in WC 2014 against Costa Rica). We will never know :) :)

Steve Flanagan

Aug 25, 2021, 4:03:15 AM8/25/21
Juan

Zaire subs were

7-Tshnabu
12-Ndimbi
14-Maku
15-Kibonge
18-Mavuba

Good work on the Spain subs against Algeria, and some interesting background to it as well.

Regards

Steve

Steve Flanagan

Aug 25, 2021, 8:52:02 AM8/25/21
Some more to report. Squad numbers in brackets as usual.

1974
East Germany v West Germany
EGR: Lowe [8], Ducke [9], Streich [11], Hamann [17], Blochwitz [21]
WGR: Hottges [6], Netzer [10], Bonhof [16], Holzenbein [17], Nigbur [21]

Argentina v East Germany
ARG: Balbuena [4], Glaria [9], Perfumo [14], Squeo [17], Santoro [21]
Still trying to locate East Germany subs

Poland v West Germany
POL: Kalinowski [3], Gut [5], Cmikiewicz [11], Kapka [20], Krniecik [21]
WGR: Hottges [6], Cullmann [8], Heynckes [11], Flohe [15], Nigbur [21]

Laura Camacho

Aug 25, 2021, 10:22:38 AM8/25/21
Steve,

Can you share your latest tally of what still is missing?

Steve Flanagan

Aug 25, 2021, 2:02:56 PM8/25/21
On Wednesday, 25 August 2021 at 15:22:38 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Can you share your latest tally of what still is missing?

Laura

The current list of which team's substitutes we require is:

1970 (4 matches)
Group One: Belgium v El Salvador; Soviet Union v Belgium
Group Two: Sweden v Israel (Israel only)
Group Three: Romania v Czechoslovakia

1974 (15 matches)
Group One: East Germany v Australia; Australia v Chile
Group Two: Yugoslavia v Zaire (Yugoslavia only); Scotland v Brazil (Brazil only); Scotland v Yugoslavia
Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay; Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only)
Group Four: Poland v Argentina; Argentina v Haiti; Poland v Italy (Poland only)

SF Group A: Brazil v East Germany; Argentina v East Germany (East Germany only); Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only)
SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany; Sweden v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only)

1978 (4 matches)
Group Two: West Germany v Mexico; West Germany v Tunisia
Group Four: Netherlands v Iran (Iran only)

SF Group B: Brazil v Peru (Peru only)

1986 (2 matches)
Group D: Algeria v Spain (Algeria only) - with thanks to Juan B for confirming the 16 man squad for Spain in this match
Group F: Morocco v Poland

So just 25 matches over 4 editions still to find, and in 10 of these matches we know the substitutes for one of the teams. Considering that I started this thread looking for the information for 81 matches in total, I think we can all be proud of a fantastic job so far.

Naturally, my thanks to every single one of you who have contributed something to this project, no matter how small, but special thanks must go to Laura and her husband. Hopefully we will find the missing names to complete this sooner rather than later so we can then have a FULL history of the World Cup.

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 25, 2021, 2:42:10 PM8/25/21
Steve,

I think I made a mess with my file. Can you share the subs for Per-Mar 1970?

Steve Flanagan

Aug 25, 2021, 5:00:12 PM8/25/21
On Wednesday, 25 August 2021 at 19:42:10 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I think I made a mess with my file. Can you share the subs for Per-Mar 1970?

Laura

No problem

Peru v Morocco
PER: Correa [12], Gonzalez [15], Cruzado [17], Del Castillo [18], Ramirez [22]
MAR: Fadili [13], Choukri [16], Alaoui [17], El Khiati [18], Ouaraghli [19]

Morocco only selected 19 players in their squad for 1970.

Laura Camacho

Aug 25, 2021, 9:51:11 PM8/25/21
Found one more for 1974:

YUG SWE
Petkovic I
Peruzovic
Vladic
Karasi
Meskovic

Laura Camacho

Aug 26, 2021, 10:40:19 PM8/26/21
Team,

I have been doing a bit of research on where we can find the missing data. It seems that Italian or Argentinian newspapers would be the candidates for having this info. I have contacted some people in Argentina just to see what they can give us. For Italy, the best option would be the Corriere dello Sport newspaper. I have reviewed this last one for 1970 but there isn't any more additional info we can get from there. However, their digital archive only goes till 1972 and then jumps to 1997. Does anyone have a contact in Italy?

There is another newspaper called Corriere della Sera. This might also be a good option if the former does not work. However, we would need a contact in Italy.

Laura Camacho

Aug 27, 2021, 9:02:12 AM8/27/21
I forgot to mention that English and Scottish newspapers seem to have good info but I am yet to find a good archive.

Futbolmetrix

Aug 27, 2021, 10:43:57 AM8/27/21
On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 10:40:19 PM UTC-4, Laura Camacho wrote:

> I have been doing a bit of research on where we can find the missing data. It seems that Italian or Argentinian newspapers would be the candidates for having this info. I have contacted some people in Argentina just to see what they can give us. For Italy, the best option would be the Corriere dello Sport newspaper.

How about the Gazzetta dello Sport? But I don't know how far back their digital archive goes.

Laura Camacho

Aug 27, 2021, 11:05:38 AM8/27/21
That one goes till 1972 and jumps to 1997. There is a 25 year gap.

Futbolmetrix

Aug 27, 2021, 12:42:34 PM8/27/21
Gazzetta dello Sport and Corriere dello Sport are two different newspapers. Were you talking about Gazzetta (the pink one, based in Milano), or Corriere (based in Rome)?

Laura Camacho

Aug 27, 2021, 7:27:12 PM8/27/21
Both. Dello Sport has a gap of 25 years. The other one has a cumbersone filtering system.

Steve Flanagan

Aug 29, 2021, 5:56:56 PM8/29/21
On Friday, 27 August 2021 at 14:02:12 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:
> I forgot to mention that English and Scottish newspapers seem to have good info but I am yet to find a good archive.

Laura

I've searched several British newspaper archives with no success on the outstanding matches, except I can confirm the Scotland substitutes against Yugoslavia in 1974

1974: Scotland v Yugoslavia
SCO: Blackley [6], Johnstone [7], Allan [12], Cormack [15], Hutchison [18]

Archives searched:
The Times
The Guardian
British Newspaper Archive

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 30, 2021, 5:50:02 PM8/30/21
Today I checked in some old Mexican, Italian and Swedish newspapers but nothing new came of it. Any ideas on where else we can look?

Steve Flanagan

Aug 31, 2021, 4:26:49 AM8/31/21
On Monday, 30 August 2021 at 22:50:02 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:
> El domingo, 29 de agosto de 2021 a las 15:56:56 UTC-6, Steve Flanagan escribió:
> Today I checked in some old Mexican, Italian and Swedish newspapers but nothing new came of it. Any ideas on where else we can look?

Laura

The 1986 details I found came from an Argentinian magazine called 'Solo Futbol' but they left out the unused subs for the Algeria v Spain and Morocco v Poland matches. I've yet to find any archives of this magazine prior to 1986.

I did think that the English magazine 'World Soccer' might have provided the information (I know they did not for 1970), but I can't find any kind of online archive. My investigations so far would suggest not, unfortunately.

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Aug 31, 2021, 10:14:25 AM8/31/21
Steve,

There is a top-class Argentinian magazine called El Gráfico. It included the reserves for the 1986 matches. However, I have been unable to find the specific issues for both of the remaining games. I am still looking for a copy of these two magazines.

Laura Camacho

Aug 31, 2021, 5:51:05 PM8/31/21
Team,

A contact of mine in Argentina was able to provide for the last two games we are still missing for 1986:

ALG ESP
Menad
Bensaoula
Khalidi
Chaib
Hadi

MAR POL
Oudani Przybys
Amanallah Tarasiewicz
Khairi Urban
Soulaymani Kazimierski
Mouddani Zgutczynski

Now, I know for a fact that this magazine, for 1974 and 1978, did not have the reserves. However, I do not know if it did for 1970. I asked this contact to find this out for me.

Steve Flanagan

Sep 1, 2021, 4:42:47 AM9/1/21
Laura

As always a big thank you for finding this info (and a thank you to your very helpful contacts). That's 1986 done so we are left with 22 matches over 3 editions of the World Cup, and for 10 of these matches we know the unused subs for one of the teams - the majority of which are for the 1974 World Cup in Germany.

Here's the updated list:

1970 (4 matches inc 1 partial match)
Group One: Belgium v El Salvador, Soviet Union v Belgium
Group Two: Sweden v Israel (Israel only)
Group Three: Romania v Czechoslovakia

1974 (14 matches inc 7 partial matches)
Group One: East Germany v Australia, Australia v Chile
Group Two: Yugoslavia v Zaire (Yugoslavia only), Scotland v Brazil (Brazil only), Scotland v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only)
Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay, Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only)
Group Four: Poland v Argentina, Argentina v Haiti, Poland v Italy (Poland only)

SF Group A: Brazil v East Germany, Argentina v East Germany (East Germany only), Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only)
SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany

1978 (4 matches inc 2 partial matches)
Group Two: West Germany v Mexico, West Germany v Tunisia
Group Four: Netherlands v Iran (Iran only)

SF Group B: Brazil v Peru (Peru only)

Regards

Steve

Juan B

Sep 1, 2021, 1:15:37 PM9/1/21
Hi team

I'd like to thank you all for your amazing work.

In my case, I got some information from Spanish newspapers. Not very productive, to be honest. :/

I am trying to contribute as much as I can. Working in this project for a long time ago, not easy to get the non-used substitutes at any specific match. You all know what I am talking about.

My question: how are you doing with those matches from WC USA 94 to more recent ones? I think that all reserves are eligible to play at any match except those that are suspended / injured.

ROM: Ion Vlădoiu was sent off in the match SWI-ROM and suspended for 3 matches. Unfortunately, I don't find any source or any official information in the following matches that is not included him on the bench. It happens the same with Maradona after the match against Greece, etc.

How are you doing with this cases? Did you find any official resource or any newspaper which shows exactly who was in the bench at every single WC match?

Thanks in advance

Steve Flanagan

Sep 1, 2021, 2:04:39 PM9/1/21
Juan

I don't think any newspapers or magazines would have printed that kind of information (waste of column inches probably).

The best information I can find is from the website https://millingsteins.com/ which has this kind of information in each match (for example, Leonardo [BRA] being banned for the remainder of the World Cup after being sent off against USA in the Round of 16 - he actually received a 4 match international ban and Effenberg [GER] being sent home after gesturing to the crowd when being substituted in the group match against South Korea and thus missing the knockout games against Belgium and Bulgaria)

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Sep 1, 2021, 2:14:35 PM9/1/21
Juan,

For World Cups from 2002 to 2018 you can use the Official Fifa Reports located in their website. For 1994 and 1998, these same reports are not as useful. I would recommend following Steve's approach for these two World Cups.

I am positive that there was a statistical report for 1994 that lists this kind of info and which is separate from the Official Report. However, I have been unable to locate this report.

Juan B

Sep 2, 2021, 12:36:39 AM9/2/21
Thank you for your replies.

I am doing the same for UEFA EURO. Is any of you in this task too?

From EURO 1988 to EURO 2020, the official site uefa.com shows exactly who was in the bench at any specific match.

Laura Camacho

Sep 3, 2021, 11:38:29 AM9/3/21
Team,

We are about to hit a deadend, whereby progress will be very slow on the last couple of games we have to go.

I think that El Gráfico for 1970, El Corriere dello Sport 1974 and 1978 and L'Equipe for 1970, 74 and 78 could be our safest bets. I have not found good archives for none of the three. I will try and develop contacts with people with access to them.

Futbolmetrix

Sep 3, 2021, 12:40:28 PM9/3/21
On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 5:50:02 PM UTC-4, Laura Camacho wrote:
> El domingo, 29 de agosto de 2021 a las 15:56:56 UTC-6, Steve Flanagan escribió:
> Today I checked in some old Mexican, Italian and Swedish newspapers but nothing new came of it. Any ideas on where else we can look?

Sweden-Israel 1970 is a historic match in Israeli football, as Spiegler's equalizer in the 56th minute is still to date Israel's only ever goal in a WC finals tournament. I've tried to look on various Israeli websites, but the best I could find was this report from Yediot Achronot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu3d4hl1d0v81tz/mon14.jpg_wa.jpg?raw=1

There is a box-score at the bottom. Unfortunately, though, it is barely legible, and I am pretty sure that it only lists the players who actually were on the pitch.

Sorry :-(

Steve Flanagan

Sep 5, 2021, 2:56:26 PM9/5/21
Laura

I have to agree. I will see if I can find anyone who may have access to the publications you mention to see if we can find anything else.

Futbolmetrix: Great find, but I agree with you that the box score only lists the players who actually appeared on the pitch (I have a friend who can read/speak hebrew and from what they can ascertain from the image, there are only 12 names for Israel mentioned).

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Sep 6, 2021, 4:15:05 PM9/6/21
Team,

I just found the following for 1978:

GER TUN
Zimmermann Sassi S
Konopka Aziza A
Beer Karoui
Holzenbein Mouza
Burdenski Hasni

Steve Flanagan

Sep 7, 2021, 6:11:41 AM9/7/21
On Monday, 6 September 2021 at 21:15:05 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:
> Team,
>
> I just found the following for 1978:
>
> GER TUN
> Zimmermann Sassi S
> Konopka Aziza A
> Beer Karoui
> Holzenbein Mouza
> Burdenski Hasni

Laura

Great find - that's one more crossed off the list.

I've email FIFA directly to see if they can hep out, but judging by their reply, they don't seem to understand the concept of 'Unused Substitute'!!!

I've sent a reply back to try and make it more clearer to them.

Regards

Steve

Steve Flanagan

Sep 7, 2021, 8:13:28 AM9/7/21
Team

Another one found from 1974

YUG ZAI
[4] Muzinic [7] Tshnabu
[12] Jerkovic [12] Ndimbi
[13] Pavlovic [14] Maku
[18] Karasi [15] Kibonge
[22] Meskovic [18] Mavuba

I have managed to find that in the East Germany v Australia match from 1974, three of the five East German substitutes were [9] Ducke, [19] Seguin and [20] Hoffman.

From British newspaper reports I have found, there is a suggestion that Yugoslavia remained unchanged (starting XI and substitutes) in their next match against Scotland but I still need to confirm that.

This now leaves us with just 20 matches in the list from a starting point of 81 matches - a fantastic effort I'm sure you would agree.

The remaining matches are:

1970 (4 matches)
Group One: Belgium v El Salvador; Soviet Union v Belgium
Group Two: Sweden v Israel (Israel only)
Group Three: Romania v Czechoslovakia

1974 (13 matches)
Group One: East Germany v Australia; Australia v Chile
Group Two: Scotland v Brazil (Brazil only); Scotland v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only)
Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay; Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only)
Group Four: Poland v Argentina; Argentina v Haiti; Poland v Italy (Poland only)

SF Group A: Brazil v East Germany; Argentina v East Germany (East Germany only); Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only)
SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany

1978 (3 matches)
Group Two: West Germany v Mexico
Group Four: Netherlands v Iran (Netherlands only)

SF Group B: Brazil v Peru (Peru only)

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Sep 7, 2021, 9:06:29 AM9/7/21
Steve,

I have experienced the same thing you mention in the case for FIFA. Out of the members of the RSSSF, I have contacted a few regarding our research and a few of them come back to me with the entire list of 11 reserves and not the required five.

Werner Pichler

Sep 7, 2021, 10:07:41 AM9/7/21
On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:13:28 PM UTC+2, Steve Flanagan wrote:

> 1978 (3 matches)
> Group Two: West Germany v Mexico

If this source is to be believed:

https://books.google.at/books?hl=de&id=Xp0NAAAAYAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=burdenski

West Germany: Konopka, Beer, Cullmann, Hölzenbein, Burdenski (GK)
Mexico: Gómez, Flores, Rodríguez (+ 2 subs, Soto (GK) and Lugo)

Looks realistic to me, at least for the Germans.

Ciao,
Werner

Werner Pichler

Sep 7, 2021, 10:19:47 AM9/7/21
On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:13:28 PM UTC+2, Steve Flanagan wrote:

> 1978 (3 matches)
> Group Two: West Germany v Mexico
> Group Four: Netherlands v Iran (Netherlands only)

Same source:
https://books.google.at/books?hl=de&id=Xp0NAAAAYAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%22lubse+y+jan%22

Piet Schrijvers (GK), Jan Poortvliet, Harry Lubse, Jan Boskamp, (Dick Nanninga subbed in)

Ciao,
Werner

Werner Pichler

Sep 7, 2021, 10:41:51 AM9/7/21
Confirmed by this newspaper snippet (top right)
https://leiden.courant.nu/issue/LD/1978-06-03/edition/0/page/11

Ciao,
Werner

Steve Flanagan

Sep 7, 2021, 11:02:44 AM9/7/21
Werner

Great find. Sorry my mistake that should have said "Netherlands v Iran (Iran only)"

Unfortunately the snippet search doesn't go down as far as the Iran substitutes - unless I'm searching incorrectly (which is very possible!) - or the Peru substitutes against Brazil.

It would be great if we could find an online copy somewhere.

From what else I've seen I would say that we can believe this source as I haven't found any other errors in the list of substitutes I can find when searching this book, and the substitutes we have already.

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Sep 8, 2021, 9:26:20 AM9/8/21
I have some contacts in Argentina. Let me check with them.

Werner Pichler

Sep 9, 2021, 6:55:04 AM9/9/21
On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:13:28 PM UTC+2, Steve Flanagan wrote:

> This now leaves us with just 20 matches in the list from a starting point of 81 matches - a fantastic effort I'm sure you would agree.
>
> 1974 (13 matches)
> Group One: East Germany v Australia; Australia v Chile
> Group Two: Scotland v Brazil (Brazil only); Scotland v Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia only)
> Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay; Bulgaria v Netherlands (Bulgaria only)
> Group Four: Poland v Argentina; Argentina v Haiti; Poland v Italy (Poland only)
>
> SF Group A: Brazil v East Germany; Argentina v East Germany (East Germany only); Netherlands v Brazil (Brazil only)
> SF Group B: Yugoslavia v West Germany

All those unresolved GDR matches from 1974 bugged me. A lot of Eastern German stuff has been digitized and
can be easily found online (like the archives of daily newspapers Neues Deutschland and Berliner Zeitung), but
as far as I found none of them report the simple fact of who was sitting on the bench.

You can even get the Stasi reports for 'Aktion Leder' and see which players were deemed politically unreliable,
or had relatives in the West, or which one of the hand-selected 'fans' who were allowed to travel to the land of
the class enemy drank too much on the train and won't ever be allowed to leave the country again (actually you
can't - the name's been blacked out) - but nothing about unused substitutes...

Which led me back to googling, using the name of the goalkeeper that was on the bench as #2 (Blochwitz),
and excluding goalkeeper #3 (Friese). Which led me to this unlikely source, full of misspellings etc., but actually
reporting five subs on each side:

https://timarit.is/page/1453684#page/n45/mode/2up
(digitized Icelandic newspaper from June 27th, 1974)

that e.g. gives the following subs ('varamenn') for Brasil v East Germany (Lið Brasilíu and Lið A-Þýskalands)

BRA: Piazza, Renato (GK), Antonio (Marco Antônio), Mirandinha, Edu
GDR: Schuphase (misspelling: Schnuphase), Löwe, Ducke, Irmscher, Blockwitz (misspelling: Blochwitz, GK)

If you can check the reliability of these subs with the ones you already know, you might be able to fill all your
1974 gaps. Morgunblaðið should have reports on all WC matches.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Sep 9, 2021, 7:01:33 AM9/9/21
Amazing! The skills learned playing Not a Mystery have not gone to waste!

Steve Flanagan

Sep 10, 2021, 5:24:23 AM9/10/21
Werner

Some fantastic investigation work - many thanks. Also, love the stories about East Germany and the Stasi. I wonder if the players received any kind of special bonus for beating West Germany?

Apart from the substitutes for Brazil v East Germany which Werner kindly provided, I've managed to find another 8 matches from the newspaper link from Werner. Unfortunately there are a couple of days missing, and the early matches didn't appear to have teams listed in the match reports, but I have managed to extract the following, and based on checking the substitutes we already know, this data appears to have no issues:

Australia v Chile (Group One)
AUS: [13] Ollerton, [15] Williams, [18] Watkiss, [19] Campbell, [21] Milisavljevic
CHI: [6] Rodriguez, [12] Machuca, [17] Yavar, [19] Farias, [21] Olivares

Scotland v Brazil (Group Two)
SCO: [6] Blackley, [7] Johnstone, [12] Allan, [15] Cormack, [18] Hutchison
BRA: [12] Renato, [13] Valdomiro, [16] Marco Antonio, [17] Carpegiani, [20] Edu

Scotland v Yugoslavia (Group Two)
SCO: [6] Blackley, [7] Johnstone, [12] Allan, [15] Cormack, [18] Hutchison
YUG: [4] Muzinic, [12] Jerkovic, [13] Pavlovic, [18] Karasi, [21] Petrovic

Bulgaria v Netherlands (Group Three)
BUL: [1] Goranov, [9] Mihailov, [12] Aladzhov, [17] Nikodimov, [20] Borisov
NET: [5] Israel, [7] De Jong, [9] Keizer, [11] Van Der Kerkhof, [18] Schrijvers

Argentina v East Germany (SF Group A)
ARG: [4] Balbuena, [9] Glaria, [14] Perfumo, [17] Squeo, [21] Santoro
DDR: [5] Fritsche, [9] Ducke, [15] Vogel, [16] Irmscher, [21] Blochwitz

Netherlands v Brazil (SF Group A)
NET: [1] Geels, [5] Israel, [7] De Jong, [10] Van Der Kerkhof, [18] Schrijvers
BRA: [5] Piazza, [12] Renato, [16] Marco Antonio, [19] Mirandinha, [20] Edu

Yugoslavia v West Germany (SF Group B)
YUG: [7] Petkovic, [12] Jerkovic, [13] Pavlovic, [14] Peruzovic, [22] Meskovic
FRG: [6] Hottges, [8] Cullmann, [14] Hoeness, [15] Flohe, [21] Nigbur

This now means that out of the original 81 matches we were looking at, we have now reduced that down to 11, with the following still outstanding:

1970 (4 matches)
Group One: Belgium v El Salvador, Soviet Union v Belgium
Group Two: Sweden v Israel (Sweden only)
Group Three: Romania v Czechoslovakia

1974 (5 matches)
Group One: East Germany v Australia
Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay
Group Four: Poland v Argentina, Argentina v Haiti, Poland v Italy (Poland only)

1978 (2 matches)
Group Four: Netherlands v Iran (Iran only)

Laura Camacho

Sep 11, 2021, 1:12:22 PM9/11/21
I have checked a few football specific magazines (Tuttosport, Onze, Placar), but none have digital archive or good info. Any ideas on other magazines?

Steve Flanagan

Sep 13, 2021, 6:30:12 AM9/13/21
On Saturday, 11 September 2021 at 18:12:22 UTC+1, Laura Camacho wrote:
> I have checked a few football specific magazines (Tuttosport, Onze, Placar), but none have digital archive or good info. Any ideas on other magazines?

I was hoping that World Soccer magazine may have bee able to help, but the information I've found so far would suggest not. I know for sure they didn't for the 1970 edition.

Will keep looking

Regards

Steve

Steve Flanagan

Sep 20, 2021, 4:07:49 PM9/20/21
All

Some good new.

I have managed to speak to a contact who has confirmed the final substitutes we were looking for in 1978:

Group Four - Netherlands v Iran
Iran: [2] Danaeifard, [3] Fariba, [10] Roshan, [11] Ghesghayan, [12] Mavaddat

SF Group B - Brazil v Peru
Peru: [1] Sartor, [9] Rojas, [14] Navarro, [15] Leguia, [20] Sotil

That now takes the number of matches we are looking for into single digits (just 9 matches to go).

The updated list is now:

1970 (4 matches)
Group One: Belgium v El Salvador, Soviet Union v Belgium
Group Two: Sweden v Israel (Israel only)
Group Three: Romania v Czechoslovakia

1974 (5 matches)
Group One: East Germany v Australia
Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay
Group Four: Poland v Argentina, Argentina v Haiti, Poland v Italy (Poland only)

I know that information must be out there somewhere!

Regards

Steve

Laura Camacho

Sep 20, 2021, 11:40:08 PM9/20/21
Steve,

Excellent finds!!! I am still looking in old newspapers all over the place. Will keep you posted.
Message has been deleted

Juan B

Sep 21, 2021, 3:54:48 PM9/21/21
Hello team,

1974 All matches, please check this file:

http://www.cihefe.es/cuadernosdefutbol/wp-content/upLoads/Mundial-1974.Mart%C3%ADn2.pdf

It includes every single match with the unsubs.

Group One: East Germany v Australia
RDA: Blochwitz, Hoffmann, Ducke, Kurbjuweit, Seguin
AUS: Milišavljević, Abonyi, Campbell, Watkiss, Williams

Group Three: Bulgaria v Uruguay
BUL: Staikov, Mikhailov, Aladzhov, Stoyanov, Zhetchev
URU: Santos, Masnik, Cardaccio, Cubilla, Mario González

Group Four: Poland v Argentina, Argentina v Haiti, Poland v Italy (Poland only)
POL: Fischer, Bulzacki, Gut, Domarski, Ćmikiewicz
ARG: Santoro, Houseman, Telch, Chazarreta, Glaría

ARG: Santoro, Brindisi, Balbuena, Bargas, Glaría
HAI: Piquant, F. Leandré, M. Leandré, Austin, R. Saint-Vil

POL: Fischer, Ćmikiewicz, Bulzacki, Domarski, Gut
ITA: Albertosi, Wilson, Boninsegna, Juliano, Re Cecconi

I have checked match by match and the only difference is here:
HOL: Schrijvers, Israël, De Jong, Keizer, Willy Van de Kerkhof
BUL: Goranov, Aladzhov, Borisov, Mikhailov, ZHETCHEV
Zhetchev is included as substitute in the attached file but previously anyone here informed that the subs list is:
BUL: Goranov, Aladzhov, Borisov, Mikhailov, NIKODIMOV

In touch :)

Laura Camacho

Sep 21, 2021, 7:31:08 PM9/21/21
Juan,

Excellent work!!! We are almost done

Laura Camacho

Sep 21, 2021, 7:36:41 PM9/21/21
Team,

I got a historical question:

As we all know, subs were allowed for the first time at the 1970 WC. There was a limit of 5 on the bench. This lasted until 1990. For 1994 and 1998, every available player could sit on the bench. Starting in 2002, what was the rule? I think it was still possible for all available players to sit on the bench but I have also ready that only seven could sit. Any insight on this?
It is loading more messages.