My one and only comment on USA-Slovenia.

Dwight Beers

Jun 18, 2010, 1:12:43 PM6/18/10
The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst
refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Manx Gunner

Jun 18, 2010, 1:15:39 PM6/18/10
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:12:43 -0700, Dwight Beers wrote...

> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst

I agree with your first point.

> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

I believe that your second point goes too far. I'm an American, and I'm
disappointed that it appears that a refereeing mistake may cost us the
chance to see our boys going into the knockout stages. Having said that
I think it's a bit much to say that what happened is definitely even in
the top ten of all-time bad refereeing decisions.

Some time, perspective, and explanation may shed more light.

Winston Smith, American Patriot

Jun 18, 2010, 1:30:27 PM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 8:12 pm, Dwight Beers <hdbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred  by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Probably not the worst ever.

But this match is a worthy entry in the Hall of Ignominous and
Shameless Officiating.

I hope FIFA informs the wanker tomorrow that his plane ticket out of
South Africa is only good until the end of tomorrow, and that he gets
no pass to watch any further match from the stands.

Dwight Beers

Jun 18, 2010, 1:31:36 PM6/18/10
On 06/18/2010 10:15 AM, Manx Gunner wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:12:43 -0700, Dwight Beers wrote...
>
>> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst
>
> I agree with your first point.
>
>> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.
> don

> I believe that your second point goes too far. I'm an American, and I'm
> disappointed that it appears that a refereeing mistake may cost us the
> chance to see our boys going into the knockout stages. Having said that
> I think it's a bit much to say that what happened is definitely even in
> the top ten of all-time bad refereeing decisions.
>
> Some time, perspective, and explanation may shed more light.

Perhaps, I should have said that it was the worst decision since 1966
(the first wC I saw any part of), but I don't believe there has ever
been a case where a penalty kick was not called and a goal was
disallowed--apparently because the guy being brought down in the box was
being ruled offisde--even though the guy bringing him down was between
him and the goal.

Message has been deleted

JK

Jun 18, 2010, 2:14:53 PM6/18/10
Dwight Beers wrote:
> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Um, Hand of God ring any bells? (And don't cop out by saying that
wasn't technically a ref's decision since there was no call.)

Yo Merito

Jun 18, 2010, 1:54:34 PM6/18/10
Dwight Beers <hdb...@gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps, I should have said that it was the worst decision since 1966
> (the first wC I saw any part of),

C'mon, to get the title of "the worst refereeing decision" you need at
least a catchy name for the incident, such as "The Hand of God".

Bob

Jun 18, 2010, 2:09:10 PM6/18/10

Isn't that technically at least 2 comments ;)

Google Beta User

Jun 18, 2010, 2:25:03 PM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 1:12 pm, Dwight Beers <hdbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred  by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Bad decision, as it wasn't deep in the tournament it won't be that
infamous.

Paul C

Jun 18, 2010, 3:32:05 PM6/18/10
"Yo Merito" <yome...@gawab.com> wrote in message

Hand of Henry is more alliterative.

Mirobaldo

Jun 18, 2010, 3:32:22 PM6/18/10
Il 18/06/2010 19:12, Dwight Beers ha scritto:
> the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Not so bad respect Mr.Byron Moreno in Italy - South Corea WC2002

Bob

Jun 18, 2010, 3:41:34 PM6/18/10

Actually "Given's takedown" takes precedent both chronologically and for
escaping the ref AND the media blowhards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vo8OwMBTs

Manx Gunner

Jun 18, 2010, 4:10:01 PM6/18/10
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:32:05 +0100, Paul C wrote...

> Hand of Henry is more alliterative.

Yeah, but that was trumped by a bad decision in the same game five
minutes earlier when the Ireland keeper grabbed Anelka's ankle in the
box and pulled him to the ground... no call.

John Kinney

Jun 18, 2010, 4:29:25 PM6/18/10

I dunno... This goal was covered by about 4 cameras and I've seen video
now from several of them. It's pretty indefensible from the video record.

Of course, it's nowhere near the worst of the calls you have to endure
when you coach youth occer.

Case in point: U-14 striker on a breakaway approaching the opposing
center defender and goalkeeper. Striker pushes the ball past the
defender, reaches the ball before the goalkeeper does and sends a pretty
ball past the goalkeeper into the net.

Referee blows the whistle and disallows the goal. I ask for an
explanation. Referee explains with a straight face that when the striker
"passed to herself" behind the defender, she received the ball in an
offside position and was thus offside when she made the goal.

*blink*

This was a tournament game. Afterwards (we had won the game anyway), I
went over to the referee assignor and explained the incident. He looked
up the name of the referee, found out he was on lunch break and wandered
off to discuss the offside rule with him.

In the US vs Slovenia game, the USA dug their own hole. Letting an
opponent go ahead by 2 goals is not the way to win a World Cup. Our guys
need to do much better.

Regards, John Kinney

Alessandro Riolo

Jun 18, 2010, 4:40:42 PM6/18/10
On 18 June, 20:32, Mirobaldo <miroba...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not so bad respect Mr.Byron Moreno in Italy - South Corea WC2002

I still believe Gamal Ghandour was up there with Byron Moreno, if not
more shocking.

I mean, disallowing two perfectly valid goals in the quarterfinal of a
world cup is not something you expect will be seen only from a few
relatives of the players involved. Of that match I mostly remember the
feeling that whatever Spain would have been able to conjure, Ghandour
and his accomplices weren't meant to allow them a goal.

--
ale
http://ale.riolo.co.uk

Mart van de Wege

Jun 18, 2010, 4:58:28 PM6/18/10
Dwight Beers <hdb...@gmail.com> writes:

> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Come back when one of your most brilliant technical players gets kicked
into the hospital in plain sight with the ref doing nothing.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Bob

Jun 18, 2010, 5:02:32 PM6/18/10
Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Dwight Beers <hdb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst
>> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.
>
> Come back when one of your most brilliant technical players gets
> kicked into the hospital in plain sight with the ref doing nothing.

Battiston?

Mart van de Wege

Jun 18, 2010, 5:10:15 PM6/18/10
"Bob" <B...@Bob.com> writes:

Yup.

Cost the referee his international career. And rightly so, IMO.

If he didn't see it, he was incompetent. If he did see it, he should
have pulled the red card.

Bob

Jun 18, 2010, 5:17:21 PM6/18/10
Mart van de Wege wrote:
> "Bob" <B...@Bob.com> writes:
>
>> Mart van de Wege wrote:

>>> Come back when one of your most brilliant technical players gets
>>> kicked into the hospital in plain sight with the ref doing nothing.
>>>

>> Battiston?
>>

> Yup.
>
> Cost the referee his international career. And rightly so, IMO.
>
> If he didn't see it, he was incompetent. If he did see it, he should
> have pulled the red card.

I always thought he didn't see the details of it because he was looking at
the ball going out of play.

Starcade

Jun 18, 2010, 5:57:37 PM6/18/10

Can't really think so, really. If the United States cannot defeat
Algeria, then, in my honest opinion, they do not merit advancement.

Mike

Diabolik

Jun 18, 2010, 6:02:49 PM6/18/10

"Mirobaldo" <miro...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It doesn't matter if it happens against Italy;)

Korea vs Spain was also bad.

That's the only way South Korea would ever make the quarter finals in a WC.

Dwight Beers

Jun 18, 2010, 7:18:10 PM6/18/10
Prior to 2010--this was the obvious all time winner, but it was still
only one mistake. Coulibaly missed an obvious penalty AND disallowed
the goal--that's two blunders on one play. Although, I'd agree that the
Battiston blunder was in a more serious position vis a vis the tournament.

Chagney Hunt

Jun 18, 2010, 7:22:49 PM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 1:12 pm, Dwight Beers <hdbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred  by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

Drama much?

Insane Ranter

Jun 18, 2010, 7:33:08 PM6/18/10

Agreed.

Jack Hollis

Jun 18, 2010, 8:17:03 PM6/18/10
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:54:34 -0500, Yo Merito <yome...@gawab.com>
wrote:

>C'mon, to get the title of "the worst refereeing decision" you need at
>least a catchy name for the incident, such as "The Hand of God".

The difference was that the "Hand of God" was a referee not seeing
something that happened. Today's call was the referee not seeing a
couple of things that did happen and also seeing something that didn't
happen.

Mehdi

Jun 18, 2010, 9:04:05 PM6/18/10
> Subject : My one and only comment on USA-Slovenia.
> From : hdb...@gmail.com

> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

It's not even close, google 1966 World Cup final, hand of God and
Patrick Battiston.

--
http://soccer-europe.com
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

higgs

Jun 18, 2010, 9:34:38 PM6/18/10

Every WC has it's dramas, but the Battiston one stands up there..

Because France had already used up their subs, they were the ones
reduced to 10 men against Germany's 11.

By all rights, it should have been the other way around

Mirobaldo

Jun 19, 2010, 4:05:15 AM6/19/10
Il 19/06/2010 00:02, Diabolik ha scritto:

> Korea vs Spain was also bad.

Yes I know but I didn't saw that match. At that time after the Moreno's
show I'm going at holiday forgetting the world cup 2002.

Abubakr

Jun 19, 2010, 4:43:00 AM6/19/10
On Jun 19, 3:12 am, Dwight Beers <hdbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The very best game, so far of WC 2010, marred  by the very worst
> refereeing decision in the history of the World Cup.

It was a great comeback from USA and the game had nice ebb and flow to
it though there were also periods of lull and scrappy play. I don't
think it was the most aesthetically pleasing match (that honour is
held by Argentina-Korea right now) but it was very exciting.
Unfortunately it was marred for me as I knew the result before I
watched it so that could be another reason I don't rate as highly as
some others.

As to your second point, no way, we've had way worse than this (this
was actually kinda legit), e.g. in Brazil-Sweden '78 and Spain-Korea
2002, to name but two.

Diabolik

Jun 19, 2010, 5:03:51 AM6/19/10

"Mirobaldo" <miro...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I think you did well to go away, especially from Bologna in summer. Even
though there's a lot of activities there in summer, it's very hot and
humid!:)

Mirobaldo

Jun 19, 2010, 7:34:43 AM6/19/10

:-) Air conditioning helps!

Di solito passo agosto in città. Mi costa di energia elettica ma vado al
lavoro (dallo stadio a porta zamboni) in 5 minuti...

Diabolik

Jun 19, 2010, 8:29:59 AM6/19/10

> Il 19/06/2010 11:03, Diabolik ha scritto:
>>
>> "Mirobaldo" <miro...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes I know but I didn't saw that match. At that time after the
>>> Moreno's show I'm going at holiday forgetting the world cup 2002.
>>
>> I think you did well to go away, especially from Bologna in summer. Even
>> though there's a lot of activities there in summer, it's very hot and
>> humid!:)
>
> :-) Air conditioning helps!

Yeah!

> Di solito passo agosto in città.

Ho passato Agosto in Bologna soltanto una volta.

> Mi costa di energia elettica ma vado al lavoro (dallo stadio a porta
> zamboni) in 5 minuti...

E' da 4 anni che non torno a Bologna.

Il Celtic Druid era la seconda casa, abitavo in zona Universitaria!:)