Rocking Serie A [R]

Futbolmetrix

Feb 27, 2022, 4:41:26 PM2/27/22
With Milan and Inter dropping points against bottom feeders, and Napoli 10 minutes away from an important away win at Lazio, the table, with 11 rounds to go is:

Pts P GD
Napoli 57 27 +30
Milan 57 27 +24
Inter 55 26 +33
Juventus 50 27 +16
Atalanta 44 25 +16

Inter with the game in hand, and the deepest and most convincing squad, must still be the clear favorites, but a lot can still happen.

For example, Napoli losing the lead in the 88th minute :-) Great strike by old man Pedro.

Updated standings:
Milan 57 27 +24
Inter 55 26 +33
Napoli 55 27 +29
Juventus 50 27 +16
Atalanta 44 25 +16

Futbolmetrix

Feb 27, 2022, 4:47:46 PM2/27/22
On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 4:41:26 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> With Milan and Inter dropping points against bottom feeders, and Napoli 10 minutes away from an important away win at Lazio, the table, with 11 rounds to go is:
>
> Pts P GD
> Napoli 57 27 +30
> Milan 57 27 +24
> Inter 55 26 +33
> Juventus 50 27 +16
> Atalanta 44 25 +16
>
> Inter with the game in hand, and the deepest and most convincing squad, must still be the clear favorites, but a lot can still happen.
>
> For example, Napoli losing the lead in the 88th minute :-)

Or retaking it in the 94th minute. Fabian Ruiz with a curler from just outside the box. Weaufx Gods doing their thing. Rocking indeed.

Real Mardin

Feb 27, 2022, 5:45:44 PM2/27/22
Sounds a very exciting league. However, I understand the rss CONCACAF contingent have copyrighted use of the word "Rocking" and it's derivations.

Grande Serie A?

Ultimo Serie A?

Eccitante Serie A?

RM

Futbolmetrix

Mar 13, 2022, 5:53:11 PM3/13/22
On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 4:47:46 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > For example, Napoli losing the lead in the 88th minute :-)
> Or retaking it in the 94th minute. Fabian Ruiz with a curler from just outside the box. Weaufx Gods doing their thing. Rocking indeed.

Big top-of-the table clash last week, with Milan coming away with a 1-0 win over Napoli at the Maradona, thanks to old man Giroud.

This week:
Sampdoria -Juventus 1-3
Milan- Empoli 1-0
Verona-Napoli 1-2
Torino-Inter 1-1

Milan and Napoli hold serve, while Inter needs a 92' minute Sanchez equalizer to salvage at least a point. Juve, ravaged by injuries, hangs around.

Standings:
Milan 63
Napoli 60
Inter 59 (one game in hand)
Juve 56

Werner Pichler

Mar 14, 2022, 10:40:45 AM3/14/22
On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 10:53:11 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 4:47:46 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > > For example, Napoli losing the lead in the 88th minute :-)
> > Or retaking it in the 94th minute. Fabian Ruiz with a curler from just outside the box. Weaufx Gods doing their thing. Rocking indeed.
> Big top-of-the table clash last week, with Milan coming away with a 1-0 win over Napoli at the Maradona, thanks to old man Giroud.
>
> This week:
> Sampdoria -Juventus 1-3
> Milan- Empoli 1-0
> Verona-Napoli 1-2
> Torino-Inter 1-1
>
> Milan and Napoli hold serve, while Inter needs a 92' minute Sanchez equalizer to salvage at least a point.

Expected more of a rant regarding the blatantly wrong non-penalty call in Inter's favour. OTOH, it's Torino...

> Juve, ravaged by injuries, hangs around.
>
> Standings:
> Milan 63
> Napoli 60
> Inter 59 (one game in hand)
> Juve 56

BTW since everybody's waxing lyrical about the close race in 2. Bundesliga, Serie B isn't too shabby either

Pisa 55
Lecce 54
--
Cremonese 53
Brescia 52

Ciao,
Werner

Jesper Lauridsen

Mar 16, 2022, 5:52:19 PM3/16/22
Not so rocking in the CL.

Werner Pichler

Mar 17, 2022, 5:19:55 PM3/17/22
On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 10:52:19 PM UTC+1, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> Not so rocking in the CL.

Bundesliga not doing too hot in Europe either.

The Premier League is the only one that really deserves four direct CL spots. For Primera División, you can argue.
Serie A and Bundesliga, no way.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Apr 3, 2022, 2:16:07 PM4/3/22
Napoli with an important away win in Bergamo, put the pressure on Milan and Inter.

Derby d'Italia to kick off in about half an hour. With Milan and Napoli not droppping points, this is the last chance for Juve to still have a say in the scudetto race, even though at best it will be about denying the hated nerazzurri the chance for a repeat.

Futbolmetrix

Apr 3, 2022, 5:34:13 PM4/3/22
On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 2:16:07 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Derby d'Italia to kick off in about half an hour. With Milan and Napoli not droppping points, this is the last chance for Juve to
> still have a say in the scudetto race, even though at best it will be about denying the hated nerazzurri the chance for a repeat.

Quickie comment: We wuz robbed.

Juve played maybe its best match of the season, but gave away a silly VAR penalty at the end of the first half (followed by more VAR silliness: Szczeszny saved Calhanoglu's first attempt but somehow managed to bundle in the rebound. The ref called a foul by Calhanoglu, and was ready to wave off the goal, but VAR intervened and had the penalty retaken because of encroachment by De Ligt ). In the end we couldn't convert our chances.

FT: 0-1

That seals any last hopes Juve had to get back into the scudetto race. I hope it goes to Napoli, but it's unlikely that they can overcome the power of the wrong-colored striped teams from Milano.

Jesper Lauridsen

Apr 15, 2022, 8:59:54 AM4/15/22
On Thursday, 17 March 2022 at 22:19:55 UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 10:52:19 PM UTC+1, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> > Not so rocking in the CL.

The Gods are ever vigilant.

> Bundesliga not doing too hot in Europe either.
>
> The Premier League is the only one that really deserves four direct CL spots. For Primera División, you can argue.
> Serie A and Bundesliga, no way.

Even the Premier League sends dross like that extra Manchester team. Maybe make a rule that only one team per city is allowed?

The Doctor

Apr 15, 2022, 10:37:49 AM4/15/22
In article <3ff43e6f-e772-4d19...@googlegroups.com>,
That would pose a problem for London .
Never count on your enemies or friends to inform you completely. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Futbolmetrix

Apr 28, 2022, 6:04:37 AM4/28/22
On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 5:34:13 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 2:16:07 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
> > Derby d'Italia to kick off in about half an hour. With Milan and Napoli not droppping points, this is the last chance for Juve to
> > still have a say in the scudetto race, even though at best it will be about denying the hated nerazzurri the chance for a repeat.
> Quickie comment: We wuz robbed.

After the high-noon robbery in the Derby d'Italia, Inter went back to winning ways, Napoli faded away with two defeats in their last three matches (at home to Fiorentina and away to Empoli, where they squandered a 2-0 lead in the 80th minute and ended up losing 3-2), and only Milan appeared to be able to keep pace (an important win over Lazio on the weekend , the winner coming in injury time courtesy of Sandro "not the new Pirlo" Tonali).

On Sunday, the league table was:

Milan 74 (34 matches)
Inter 72 (33 matches)
Napoli 67 (34 matches)
Juve 66 (34 matches)

Yesterday, Inter made up its midweek game at Bologna. They wen ahead in the 2nd minute through Perisic, had several chances to make it 2-0, then Arnautovic equalized for Bologna before half-time. Inter continued to attack, and it looked as if sooner or later they would get the breakthrough. Then, this happened:

https://streamff.com/v/947fbb

FT: Bologna-Inter 2-1

Quickie comment: LOLOLOLOL

Milan has the head to head advantage over Inter, so 10 points out of the last 4 matches will be enough for them to claim the scudetto (but they have a far harder schedule, including matches against Fiorentina, away at Verona).

Fifth place Roma is 8 points behind Juve, so the current top 4 should secure Italy's CL spots next year.

Werner Pichler

Apr 28, 2022, 7:48:19 AM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 12:04:37 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 5:34:13 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 2:16:07 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> >
> > > Derby d'Italia to kick off in about half an hour. With Milan and Napoli not droppping points, this is the last chance for Juve to
> > > still have a say in the scudetto race, even though at best it will be about denying the hated nerazzurri the chance for a repeat.
> > Quickie comment: We wuz robbed.
> >
> After the high-noon robbery in the Derby d'Italia, Inter went back to winning ways, Napoli faded away with two defeats in their last three matches (at home to
> Fiorentina and away to Empoli, where they squandered a 2-0 lead in the 80th minute and ended up losing 3-2), and only Milan appeared to be able to keep pace
> (an important win over Lazio on the weekend , the winner coming in injury time courtesy of Sandro "not the new Pirlo" Tonali).

Thanks to a crucial contribution by Zlatan, and in true Zlatan-style, too (back to the goal, feet coordination like a ballet dancer).

> On Sunday, the league table was:
>
> Milan 74 (34 matches)
> Inter 72 (33 matches)
> Napoli 67 (34 matches)
> Juve 66 (34 matches)
>
> Yesterday, Inter made up its midweek game at Bologna. They wen ahead in the 2nd minute through Perisic, had several chances to make it 2-0, then Arnautovic
> equalized for Bologna before half-time.

He's been decent for them. Not great, also due to nagging injury problems, but decent.

> Inter continued to attack, and it looked as if sooner or later they would get the breakthrough. Then, this happened:
>
> https://streamff.com/v/947fbb
>
> FT: Bologna-Inter 2-1
>
> Quickie comment: LOLOLOLOL

A random injury to Iron Man Handanovič (just 14 league matches missed in the last 10 Serie A seasons, if I've counted correctly),
a hilarious gaffe by the untried reserve keeper, and just like that a league title might get decided. I agree, that's pretty rocking.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Apr 28, 2022, 4:00:30 PM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 7:48:19 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

[Arnautovic]
> He's been decent for them. Not great, also due to nagging injury problems, but decent.

He also scored against Juve (and could have had more than one) putting the definitive nail in the coffin in any residual scudetto hopes we might have had.

> A random injury to Iron Man Handanovič (just 14 league matches missed in the last 10 Serie A seasons, if I've counted
> correctly), a hilarious gaffe by the untried reserve keeper, and just like that a league title might get decided. I agree, that's
> pretty rocking.

The irony is that a lot of the Inter fans were actually quite happy to see Handa out of the lineup before the game...he has been error prone and seems to have lost quite a bit of his range in recent times.

Also ironic is that Inter fans in the morning were making fun of a goalkeeper with a slightly better resume than Radu for a very similar mistake:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ubsk65/serie_bperugia_2_0_parma_marco_olivieri_8_great/

Werner Pichler

Apr 29, 2022, 12:58:28 PM4/29/22
On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 3:40:45 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

> BTW since everybody's waxing lyrical about the close race in 2. Bundesliga, Serie B isn't too shabby either
>
> Pisa 55
> Lecce 54
> --
> Cremonese 53
> Brescia 52
> Monza 51
> Benevento 50

Two rounds to go

Lecce 68
Cremonese 66
--
Monza 64
Benevento 63

In other news, after many years of trying, Bolzano/Bozen-based FC Südtirol got promoted to Serie B.
Only once before, back in 1947-48, has a team from either Trentino or Alto Adige/Südtirol ever played
at the second level. From what I gather, the excitement about the promotion in this largely German-
speaking region of Italy is real.

Ciao,
Wener

Futbolmetrix

May 1, 2022, 5:37:21 PM5/1/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 6:04:37 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Milan has the head to head advantage over Inter, so 10 points out of the last 4 matches will be enough for them to claim the
> scudetto (but they have a far harder schedule, including matches against Fiorentina, away at Verona).

Both the leaders held serve, even if Milan had to wait until the 80th minute and a gift from Fiorentina goalie Terraciano to break the viola resistance. Napoli and Juve have mathematically guaranteed a top-4 position and qualification to next year's Champions' League.

Next week:
Inter-Empoli (Friday)
Verona-Milan (Sunday)

There will be a lot of talk this week about "Fatal Verona," where Milan lost the scudetto in the final stretch in two separate instances: 1972-73 and 1989-90

Jesper Lauridsen

May 11, 2022, 5:18:48 PM5/11/22
Appearently there's a cup final tonight. Not that you could tell by browsing through my cable channels.

Midway through ET:
Juventus - Inter 2-4
Two penalty goals for Inter.

Jesper Lauridsen

May 11, 2022, 5:38:09 PM5/11/22
And that's how it ends. 8 cup facts for Inter.

Binder Dundat

May 11, 2022, 6:06:14 PM5/11/22
Not even showing on the radar here, really ppo how it is so WWEplcentric. I would get rid of all Asians and North Americans, just to give football a chance

Real Mardin

May 11, 2022, 6:12:05 PM5/11/22
In the UK it was squirrelled away on Premier Sports (pay tv channel that most people don’t have due to subscription fatigue) but free to air on TRT Spor in Turkey. Heck of a final, the sort of match that screams “Italian football is back!”.

RM

vedran

May 11, 2022, 6:18:06 PM5/11/22
On 11.5.2022. 23:18, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> Appearently there's a cup final tonight. Not that you could tell by browsing through my cable channels.

I was getting ready for this for days considering Brozo & Perisic vs
Vlahovic,
not a bad outcome.
Serbia has better strikers now, at diving too.

Futbolmetrix

May 11, 2022, 11:19:34 PM5/11/22
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 5:38:09 PM UTC-4, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

> And that's how it ends. 8 cup facts for Inter.

You misspelled "We wuz robbed, football sucks"

Futbolmetrix

May 11, 2022, 11:24:00 PM5/11/22
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 6:12:05 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

> In the UK it was squirrelled away on Premier Sports (pay tv channel that most people don’t have due to subscription fatigue) but free to air on TRT Spor in Turkey. Heck of a final, the sort of match that screams “Italian football is back!”.

I don't know if it ever left. In any case, scoring in Serie A has been through the roof the past couple of years: more than 3 goals per game in 19/20 and 20/21. This year started with an even higher goalscoring rate, but things have settled down at a more pedestrian rate of 2.86 (still very high by historical standards). This is isn't your parents' Serie A any more (and Juve's defending today proved it...)

Futbolmetrix

May 15, 2022, 4:12:00 PM5/15/22
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 11:24:00 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 6:12:05 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

Match Day 37:

Milan again has to wait till the second half to break Atalanta's resistance. Goals by Rafael Leao (who quietly has established himself as Milan's star) and Theo Hernandez with a coast-to-coast effort. A draw next week at Sassuolo will be enough for Milan to clinch the scudetto, but it could even come in the next half hour if Cagliari (deep in a relegation fight) can take a point off Inter.

67': Cagliari - Inter 1-2

Futbolmetrix

May 15, 2022, 4:15:35 PM5/15/22
Live Standings:

Milan 83
Inter 81

Interesting case for the debate between using GD or HTH to settle a championship. Inter has the clear GD advantage (+48 over +35), but Milan has the HTH advantage, so will take the title if they end up on the same number of points.

Futbolmetrix

May 15, 2022, 4:30:42 PM5/15/22
Cagliari-Inter 1-3 (Lautaro). It looks like the title race will go down to the last matchday (for the first time in a long while?)

Mark

May 15, 2022, 4:36:11 PM5/15/22
How are Milan's finances? Does this mean their financial problems are over? I don't see how a team that's close to bankruptcy can win the Italian League Championship.

Futbolmetrix

May 15, 2022, 4:50:23 PM5/15/22
On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 4:30:42 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Cagliari-Inter 1-3 (Lautaro). It looks like the title race will go down to the last matchday (for the first time in a long while?)

And that's the full time score.

Next week:
Inter-Sampdoria
Sassuolo-Milan

Sassuolo has been a bit of Milan's bogey team in recent years, so this isn't over yet.

Futbolmetrix

May 15, 2022, 4:55:15 PM5/15/22
On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 4:36:11 PM UTC-4, Mark wrote:

> How are Milan's finances? Does this mean their financial problems are over?

They have been bought by an American investment company a few years ago. I think they're OK, but they are not the financial powerhouse they used to be in the Berlusconi years.

> I don't see how a team that's close to bankruptcy can win the Italian League Championship.

Hmm...did Inter eventually pay salaries to all of its players last year?

Werner Pichler

May 26, 2022, 10:28:21 AM5/26/22
On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 10:15:35 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Interesting case for the debate between using GD or HTH to settle a championship. Inter has the clear GD advantage (+48 over +35), but Milan has the HTH advantage, so will take the title if they end up on the same
> number of points.

Bring back the spareggio!!!

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

May 27, 2022, 10:28:25 AM5/27/22
Sassuolo kindly stepped out of the way, and the scudetto goes to Milan. Congratulations.

With their 19th scudetto, Milan now establish themselves firmly in second place in the list of scudetto winners, 5 ahead of city rivals Inter. They also have now won exactly half as many titles as Juventus. A significant accomplishment, especially given that they were considered far from favorites at the start of the season.

A combination of grizzled veterans (Giroud? Ibrahimovic? seriously?) and promising rising talents (Rafael Leao, Theo Hernandez, Tonali) did the trick for Pioli.

Werner Pichler

Jun 28, 2022, 2:04:40 PM6/28/22