(R/T) Conmebol WCQ, Round 10

Lléo

Oct 16, 2012, 10:50:24 PM10/16/12
Again I couldn't watch any game, so here are results only for Conmebol WCQ's
last round of 2012.

Bolivia 4-1 Uruguay
Venezuela 1-1 Ecuador
Paraguay 1-0 Peru
Chile 1-2 Argentina

Colombia had a bye on this round.

Table
[pos, team, points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd]
1 Argentina 20 9 6 2 1 20-7 13+
2 Ecuador 17 9 5 2 2 12-9 3+
3 Colombia 16 8 5 1 2 14-6 8+
4 Venezuela 12 9 3 3 3 8-9 1-
-------------------------------------
5 Uruguay 12 9 3 3 3 16-18 4-
-------------------------------------
6 Chile 12 9 4 0 5 14-18 4-
7 Bolivia 8 9 2 2 5 12-14 2-
8 Peru 8 9 2 2 5 10-15 5-
9 Paraguay 7 9 2 1 6 6-16 10-

Next matchday (in brackets, results from the previous four WCQ's in that
venue, in order with WC'98 qualifiers first):

March 22th, 2013

Argentina-Venezuela (2-0, 5-0, 3-2, 4-0)

So, after a wobbly start of WCQ campaign - which included a loss to the
vinotinto themselves early on ("Messi, sos un Dios, pero en la casa de la
vinotinto somos ateos" - gotta say thanks again to Juan Vazquez for this one
:-)) - Argentina ends 2012 on a very high note, with Messi seemingly
unstoppable. At home they should be favorites against Venezuela, who's
putting on a decent challenge for a spot.

Uruguay-Paraguay (0-2, 0-1, 1-0, 2-0)

Something happened to Uruguay in the last two months, where they went 0-1-3,
2-12 in the last four games. Who knows what 2013 will bring them, but here
they are again in that all too familiar 5th position, which is a bit
surprising considering their relative quality to the rest of the field (and
in comparison to a few Uruguayan teams of the past decade too, I guess).
Paraguay, for their part, are embodying mission impossible, but the stop in
Montevideo is always a very hard one. Edge to la Celeste here.

Peru-Chile (2-1, 3-1, 2-1, 1-3)

Andino derby! Chile, another team that looked a good bet to qualify in
mid-2011, was also a victim of the "post-September" effect, losing all three
games they played in the period (two at home). This made them drop out of
the qualifying area, and like Uruguay, who knows what 2013 will bring them.
As for Peru, they have a few good players but are a quite mediocre team
overall. I'd give the edge to Chile, but this is a derby and in Lima. Up for
grabs.

Colombia-Bolivia (3-0, 2-0, 1-0, 2-0)

This is a good Colombian team, who's been on a high note and shouldn't have
much trouble handling, at home, one of South America's poorest teams.

Ecuador will have a bye on this round.

--
Lléo

Lléo

Oct 16, 2012, 11:31:52 PM10/16/12
And btw, here are everyone's predictions, scored by my Unnecessarily
Convoluted Points System (UCPS for short), which as you all know gives you
100 points for the correct outcome and discounts 10 by each goal you're off.

Bolivia 4-1 Uruguay

The pattern used to be Uruguay putting on a mighty struggle and heroically
just managing to save a point in La Paz. Four of us fell for it and
predicted draws, while Binder and Futbolmetrix predicted a win for la
Celeste. No one gets points on this one.

Venezuela 1-1 Ecuador

Four of us predicted a win for Venezuela here, while Futbolmetrix predicted
an Ecuadorian one. Only Mark called a draw, and an exact 1-1 at that! 100
points for him!

Paraguay 1-0 Peru

Even with Paraguay in the doldrums, I believe Peru's perennial mediocrity
does them no favors when it comes to predictions: four of us called it
right, with only Abubakr (draw) and Mark (visitor win) not predicting a
guarani victory. Futbolmetrix went for a 2-0, off by one goal, so he gets 90
points here. Binder and I went for the 2-1, off by two, 80 points for each
of us. And Clément nailed it right at 1-0, 100 points for him here.

Chile 1-2 Argentina

No one predicted a Chilean victory. Three went for draws (Binder,
Futbolmetrix and Clément) and three for an Argentinian win. Mark and I said
it'd be 0-2, we were off by one goal and get 90 points. Abubakr was off by
two (predicted 1-4), so he gets 80 here.

So, congratulations to Mark, winner of the round!

4 Futbolmetrix 90
5 Binder Dundat 80
6 Abubakr 80

Adding to last round's results (in brackets, number of rounds played)

1 Mark 380 (3)
2 Binder Dundat 350 (3)
3 Clément 340 (3)
4 Lléo 340 (3)
5 Futbolmetrix 90 (1)
6 Abubakr 80 (1)
7 Juan Vazquez 80 (1)

Binder shared Round wins with Clément (first) and me (second), while Mark
won alone this third one.

So, until 2013 Mark will lead this table. Should we bestow upon him the
symbolic distinction of being UCPS "Summer Champion"? :-)

--
Lléo

Abubakr

Oct 16, 2012, 11:49:43 PM10/16/12
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:31:52 +1100, Lléo <lle...@lycos.nospam.com> wrote:

> So, until 2013 Mark will lead this table. Should we bestow upon him the
> symbolic distinction of being UCPS "Summer Champion"? :-)

"Winter Champion" please; there's no reason to be Nordicentric here!

Lléo

Oct 17, 2012, 12:08:23 AM10/17/12
"Abubakr " escreveu na notícia da
mensagem:op.wma0w5hrp9blxg@adamkhalidi-hp...
Exactly! He can only be reached in March 2013, so he'll have spent the whole
Summer of the Southern Hemisphere in the lead. So, since he'll be the leader
after the summer break, he is the "Summer Champion" :-)

(at least that's how I always understood those "<season of the year>
champions!" naming conventions; eg, the German "winter champion" is the team
that emerges from the winter break in 1st place, right? even if most of the
games (obviously) aren't held during the winter itself)

--
Lléo

Abubakr

Oct 17, 2012, 12:39:31 AM10/17/12
Oh, I see your point. However, perhaps it's more accurate to call him the
"Spring Champion" since the competition takes a break towards the end of
Spring and returns in Autumn?

jvazquez

Oct 17, 2012, 2:09:04 PM10/17/12
El martes, 16 de octubre de 2012 22:50:22 UTC-4, Lléo escribió:

> Venezuela 1-1 Ecuador

We almost never win when we are favourites.

I could only watch the last half an hour (was in a trafiic jam after taking my mum to the doctor) and we had some 10 minutes of very good attacking football, then we diluted again.

Arango scored a superb goal from 30 meters and kept pressuring the Ecuadorean goalie with free kicks and long shots. Hit the bar once. Good saves by their goalie.

They scored a nice goal after a corner, a header from the far post to the center of the area, some indecision by a defender and goal. Credit to them.

They also hit the bar once.

Our spider Dani Hernandez stopped two or three good tries by the Cotorros.

http://youtu.be/Spph0Zda2do

The organizers in a cheap silly trick played the Mexican anthem in lieu of the Ecuadorean. What a shame.

This is not unexpected and is not the first time it happens.

Juan Vázquez