Women's Champions League 2022-2023, quarterfinals Leg 1 [R]

Futbolmetrix

Mar 21, 2023, 5:49:29 PM3/21/23
FT:
Bayern - Arsenal 1-0

85': Roma-Barcelona
40,000 spectators for the giallorosse's Olimpico debut. Barcelona has dominated the whole game (34 attempts to 6), but they still have only the slimmest 1 goal advantage, and Roma has actually come close a couple of times in the past 5 minutes.

Futbolmetrix

Mar 21, 2023, 5:56:25 PM3/21/23
Giacinti with a huge chance to be the last minute hero under the Curva Sud, but she can't beat Panos :-(

FT: 0-1

The Doctor

Mar 22, 2023, 1:49:07 AM3/22/23
In article <9aa4f1d7-74d8-4ce5...@googlegroups.com>,
QF Leg 1.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Those who craft truth cannot be living in it. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Futbolmetrix

Mar 22, 2023, 3:44:00 PM3/22/23
FT: Lyon - Chelsea 0-1

Lyon not the all-conquering power they used to be?

Futbolmetrix

Mar 22, 2023, 6:05:08 PM3/22/23
FT: PSG - Wolfsburg 0-1

Division 1 Feminine not the all-conquering power they used to be?

Futbolmetrix

Mar 29, 2023, 5:06:37 PM3/29/23
On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 6:05:08 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 3:44:00 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Leg 2:

Barcelona - Roma 5-1 (agg: 6-1)
Roma brought down to earth.

Arsenal - Bayern 2-0 (agg: 2-1)
Impressive result for the gunnerettes. The powerful WSL starting to make its economic clout count?

The Doctor

Mar 29, 2023, 8:00:13 PM3/29/23
In article <c45f86c5-f7c6-471c...@googlegroups.com>,
Yes!!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Share, or all will be taken. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Futbolmetrix

Mar 30, 2023, 2:48:24 PM3/30/23
Wolfsburg - PSG 1-1 (agg. 2-1)
Wolfsburg missed about 17 chances to come away with a bigger victory, but all's well that ends well.

Last match about to start:
Chelsea - Lyon (first leg: 1-0)

It would be nice if Lyon were able to turn this around, then we would have one team from each of the top 4 leagues. If not, will we start talking about the inexorable decline of the French League (or rather, the French Big 2) as the bigger clubs start to invest more in the women's game?

Futbolmetrix

Mar 30, 2023, 5:02:36 PM3/30/23
End of 90 minutes: Chelsea - Lyon 0-1. On to extra time.

Lyon were mostly on the front foot, but didn't create that many dangers to the Chelsea goal. In the end they got the breakthrough off a set piece.

Futbolmetrix

Mar 30, 2023, 5:36:24 PM3/30/23
On Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 5:02:36 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Lyon were mostly on the front foot, but didn't create that many dangers to the Chelsea goal. In the end they got the breakthrough off a set piece.

Sara Dabritz with the go-ahead goal for Lyon in the 112th minute.

Futbolmetrix

Mar 30, 2023, 5:45:58 PM3/30/23
A super soft VAR penalty given to Chelsea in the 122nd minute...

I think it's considered a penalty after the end of regular time, and the ref is gesturing to all players to go back to the center circle (no rebounds allowed)

Mjelde buries it.

On to PKs

Futbolmetrix

Mar 30, 2023, 5:58:23 PM3/30/23
Chelsea wins. Horan with the crucial miss for Lyon, good save by Berger.

Semifinals:
Chelsea - Barcelona
Arsenal - Wolfsburg
(not sure about the home-away ordering)

MH

Mar 30, 2023, 6:57:16 PM3/30/23
Scored by a Canadian ...

The Doctor

Mar 30, 2023, 7:27:16 PM3/30/23
In article <a35541f4-73e8-44c7...@googlegroups.com>,
Arsenal Chelsea for Women's UEFA CL!

Blueshirt

Mar 31, 2023, 2:35:49 PM3/31/23
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <a35541f4-73e8-44c7...@googlegroups.com>,
> Futbolmetrix <daniele....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Semifinals:
> > Chelsea - Barcelona
> > Arsenal - Wolfsburg
> > (not sure about the home-away ordering)
> >

> Arsenal Chelsea for Women's UEFA CL!

It could just as easily be Wolfsburg v Barcelona Dave.They're all good
teams.

The Doctor

Mar 31, 2023, 6:46:34 PM3/31/23
In article <u07961$1hadf$1...@dont-email.me>,
Anything can happen!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
A servant lustful for power cannot exist. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Werner Pichler

May 2, 2023, 5:19:21 AM5/2/23
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 12:46:34 AM UTC+2, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <u07961$1hadf$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Blueshirt <blue...@indigo.news> wrote:
> >The Doctor wrote:

> >> Arsenal Chelsea for Women's UEFA CL!
> >
> >It could just as easily be Wolfsburg v Barcelona Dave.They're all good
> >teams.
>
> Anything can happen!

Yes, but Wolfsburg v Barcelona will happen.

Ciao,
Werner

The Doctor

May 2, 2023, 1:29:49 PM5/2/23
In article <4354bd70-1e7a-4caf...@googlegroups.com>,
Whores on the pitch.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca
Alberta 29 May 2023 boot out the UCP and the NDP! Beware https://mindspring.com

Mark

May 3, 2023, 3:07:10 AM5/3/23
On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 6:29:49 PM UTC+1, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <4354bd70-1e7a-4caf...@googlegroups.com>,
> Werner Pichler <wpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 12:46:34 AM UTC+2, The Doctor wrote:

> >> Anything can happen!
> >
> >Yes, but Wolfsburg v Barcelona will happen.
> >
> >Ciao,
> >Werner
> Whores on the pitch.

Who?

The Doctor

May 3, 2023, 10:33:45 AM5/3/23
In article <9a5f4d96-645a-4bc5...@googlegroups.com>,
Wolfsburg whres vs Barcelona whores!

Mark

May 4, 2023, 2:17:55 AM5/4/23
What makes you think they're whores? And if they were doing it on the pitch, wouldn't everyone know about it?

Blueshirt

May 4, 2023, 3:39:23 PM5/4/23
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <9a5f4d96-645a-4bc5...@googlegroups.com>,
> Mark <Pammie...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 6:29:49 PM UTC+1, The Doctor wrote:

> >> Whores on the pitch.
> >
> > Who?
>
> Wolfsburg whres vs Barcelona whores!

That's not very nice is it? Just because Wolfsburg knocked your team out!
Football is about taking the good with the bad.

Futbolmetrix

May 5, 2023, 12:19:27 AM5/5/23
On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 5:19:21 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

> Yes, but Wolfsburg v Barcelona will happen.

The Arsenal-Wolfsburg was a classic: a packed Emirates Stadium, four goals in regular time, lots of VAR involvement, some big chances missed, some excellent saves, and a 117th minute winner for Wolfsburg. Despite all their investments, the WSL still falls short of the big prize (likely only a matter of time though...)

In other news, Roma secured their first scudetto over the weekend, crowning a season in which they have been at the top of the league from day 1. Congrats.

Juve had a chance to make things interesting two weeks ago, but they squandered a second half 2-1 lead in the head-to-head encounter, and ended up losing to an 88th minute header by Sophie Haug. That gave Roma an unassailable 11 point lead in the table. That's the end of Juve's 5-year reign at the top of Serie A.

Roma and Juve will be back at it in the Coppa Italia final on June 4.

Werner Pichler

May 5, 2023, 4:24:12 AM5/5/23
On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 6:19:27 AM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 5:19:21 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
>
> > Yes, but Wolfsburg v Barcelona will happen.
> >
> The Arsenal-Wolfsburg was a classic: a packed Emirates Stadium, four goals in regular time, lots of VAR involvement, some
> big chances missed, some excellent saves, and a 117th minute winner for Wolfsburg.

Am I too harsh in thinking that that was a goal that's just more likely to happen at this level in Women's football?
I get it, fatigue and everything, but to dribble into an opponent like that...

> Despite all their investments, the WSL still falls short of the big prize (likely only a matter of time though...)
>
> In other news, Roma secured their first scudetto over the weekend, crowning a season in which they have been at the top of
> the league from day 1.

Happy for Wenninger, who will retire on a high.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

May 5, 2023, 7:18:08 AM5/5/23
On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 4:24:12 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
> Am I too harsh in thinking that that was a goal that's just more likely to happen at this level in Women's football?
> I get it, fatigue and everything, but to dribble into an opponent like that...

Hmm...
https://streamff.com/v/8J__iV7NPi

https://streamin.me/v/8e80a3b1

> Happy for Wenninger, who will retire on a high.

Rewatching the highlights of Roma-Juve, it was her interception in midfield and charge forward that led to Roma's winning goal (she also conceded the penalty that gave Juve the temporary 2-1 lead... ah welll)

Werner Pichler

May 10, 2023, 6:56:45 AM5/10/23
On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 1:18:08 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 4:24:12 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
> > Am I too harsh in thinking that that was a goal that's just more likely to happen at this level in Women's football?
> > I get it, fatigue and everything, but to dribble into an opponent like that...
>
> Hmm...
> https://streamff.com/v/8J__iV7NPi
>
> https://streamin.me/v/8e80a3b1

Not bad, at first I was expecting Karius's howler in the final.

I don't know if I'm making my point clearly, but I somehow would like
women's football to make the next step where such errors are no
longer kind of accepted with a shrug. Women's football has, or should
have by now, outgrown something which I still perceive as a sort of belittling
attitude. People should lay into them when they're playing badly and making
egregious mistakes!

Ciao,
Werner