RSS Coach Sacking Game 2022-2023

Futbolmetrix

Sep 7, 2022, 6:35:26 AM9/7/22
Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as many coaches as you want (but max of three points per coach). Decimal points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before December 31, you get the points.

Previous years winners? We'll have to dig it up.

It's too late to get those Tuchel points, but Brendan Rodgers's three points should be in the bag...

Futbolmetrix

Sep 7, 2022, 6:37:13 AM9/7/22
Too late for Tedesco too

Futbolmetrix

Sep 7, 2022, 6:49:13 AM9/7/22
Coaches in the top 5 leagues. Deadline: September 18

Rodgers (Leicester City) 3
Kovac (Wolfsburg) 2
Stroppa (Monza) 2
Cioffi (Verona) 1
Giampaolo (Sampdoria) 1
Quique Sanchez Flores (Getafe) 1

Werner Pichler

Sep 7, 2022, 6:56:57 AM9/7/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 12:49:13 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 6:37:13 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 6:35:26 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> >
> > > Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as many coaches as you want (but max of three points per
> > > coach). Decimal points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before December 31, you get the points.
> > >
> > > Previous years winners? We'll have to dig it up.

I think I won in 2020/21, and you did in 2021/22...

> > > It's too late to get those Tuchel points, but Brendan Rodgers's three points should be in the bag...
>
> > Too late for Tedesco too
> Coaches in the top 5 leagues. Deadline: September 18
>
> Rodgers (Leicester City) 3
> Kovac (Wolfsburg) 2

...because you got last-minute points for Kovač!

Ciao,
Werner

Werner Pichler

Sep 7, 2022, 7:02:47 AM9/7/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 12:37:13 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 6:35:26 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> >
> > Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as many coaches as you want (but max of three points per
> > coach). Decimal points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before December 31, you get the points.

They have to be sacked, right? Because Chelsea might now go around poaching.

> > Previous years winners? We'll have to dig it up.
> >
> > It's too late to get those Tuchel points, but Brendan Rodgers's three points should be in the bag...
>
> Too late for Tedesco too

Yeah both clubs pulled the trigger surprisingly quickly.

And Bologna have sacked Mihajlović, too - not Arnautović's fault, he made me
look up whether a Serie A capocannoniere had ever played for a relegated team
(answer: yes, once - Igor Protti in 95/96 for Bari).

Rodgers 2,5
Seoane 2
Kovač 2
Maaßen 1
Marco Silva 1
Alvini 0,5
Óscar 0,5
Hasenhüttl 0,5

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Sep 7, 2022, 8:53:35 AM9/7/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 6:56:57 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
> I think I won in 2020/21, and you did in 2021/22...

Apparently we've been having this for a while:

2019/2020: Werner (https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/XSc9u05-nZM/m/17dzvX4jBAAJ)
2020/2021: Wener https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/tQ7x-z5PCwo/m/7qt-xh-PAwAJ
2021/2022: Alkamista/Futbolmetrix: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/b6C-v7vABLE/m/DtK0JGTTBQAJ

Yeah, we should settle a rule for tiebreakers. If two managers end up on equal points, then the one who picked the most number of managers wins.

MH

Sep 7, 2022, 2:51:51 PM9/7/22
And Scott Parker of Bournemouth

Can't understand why nobody has snapped up Marco Rose yet (or why
Dortmund let him go). Maybe Leipzig will grab him.

anders t

Sep 7, 2022, 4:02:58 PM9/7/22
Klopp 10.

--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

anders t

Sep 7, 2022, 4:03:50 PM9/7/22
Quoting anders t in rec.sport.soccer:
>Quoting Futbolmetrix in rec.sport.soccer:
>>Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as many coaches as you want (but max of three points per coach). Decimal points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before December 31, you get the points.
>>
>>Previous years winners? We'll have to dig it up.
>>
>>It's too late to get those Tuchel points, but Brendan Rodgers's three points should be in the bag...
>
>Klopp 10.

Oh sorry, missed one part of the rules.

Klopp 3
Klopp 3
Klopp 3
Klopp 1

;-)

Real Mardin

Sep 7, 2022, 4:42:30 PM9/7/22
I’d like to allocate three points to Steve Cooper of Nottingham Forest. The rest I’ll try to nominate in due course.

RM

Real Mardin

Sep 7, 2022, 4:52:15 PM9/7/22
Jurgen Klopp, Liverpool - 2 points.

RM

Real Mardin

Sep 7, 2022, 5:02:04 PM9/7/22
David Moyes, West Ham - 2 points.

RM

Real Mardin

Sep 7, 2022, 5:22:42 PM9/7/22
Ok, I’m revising my entry as follows:

Steve Cooper, Nottingham Forest - 2 points

Sergio Gonzalez Soriano, Cádiz - 2 points

Jurgen Klopp, Liverpool - 2 points

Julen Lopetegui Agote, Sevilla - 2 points

David Moyes, West Ham - 2 points

RM

Blueshirt

Sep 7, 2022, 5:31:54 PM9/7/22
Brendan Rodgers (Leicester City) 3

Frank Lampard (Everton) 3

Steven Gerrard (Aston Villa) 2

Michael Frontzeck (Wolfsburg) 2

Mark

Sep 11, 2022, 3:56:43 AM9/11/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 10:31:54 PM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
> Futbolmetrix wrote:
>
> > Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as
> > many coaches as you want (but max of three points per coach). Decimal
> > points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before
> > December 31, you get the points.

Luís Castro (Botafogo) 3
Umberto Louzer (Juventude) 3
Eduardo Barroca (Avai) 1
Alexander Medina (Velez Sarsfield) 2
Pedro Caixinha (Talleres) 1

Werner Pichler

Sep 12, 2022, 8:39:13 AM9/12/22
Trying to find reasons why I didn't pick Thomas Reis.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Sep 12, 2022, 2:09:30 PM9/12/22
On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 8:39:13 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

> Trying to find reasons why I didn't pick Thomas Reis.

Or Allegri...
He got lucky that the highway VARrobbery of which Juve was victim yesterday slightly took the attention away from his manifest inability to evolve with the times.

Futbolmetrix

Sep 12, 2022, 3:59:37 PM9/12/22
Idea for future iterations of RSSCSC:

3 x points for every coach in charge of a team in the Champions League who gets sacked,
2 x points for every coach in charge of a team in the Europa/Conference League who gets sacked,
1 x points for every other coach who gets sacked

(you should get more points for correctly predicting the firing of Allegri/Tuchel than the coaches of Bochum or Nottingham Forest

Futbolmetrix

Sep 13, 2022, 9:00:54 PM9/13/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 6:49:13 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Stroppa (Monza) 2

Easy first two points for me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/silvio-berlusconis-monza-fires-stroppa-as-coach/2022/09/13/eb4622da-334f-11ed-a0d6-415299bfebd5_story.html

(it even made it into the Washington Post!)

Al Kamista

Sep 14, 2022, 12:57:20 PM9/14/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 6:35:26 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
Rodgers 3
Lopetegui 2
Lampard 2
Gerrard 1
Alegri 1
Seoane 1

Futbolmetrix

Sep 14, 2022, 5:53:33 PM9/14/22
On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 12:57:20 PM UTC-4, alka...wrote:

> Alegri 1

There are rumors flying around...but he's on a massive long-term contract, and Juve is probably reluctant to fire him. But I don't see him doing the honorable thing and leaving on his own...

Werner Pichler

Sep 18, 2022, 10:48:11 AM9/18/22
I like that.

Also, we really should make the deadline a bit earlier.

Ciao,
Werner

MH

Sep 18, 2022, 3:29:55 PM9/18/22
I assume interim ones don't count ?

Deadline day entry

Rodgers (Leicester) 2
Moyes (West Ham) 0.5
Bruno Lage (Wolves) 0.5
Marsch (Leeds) 1
Cooper (forest) 1
Der Zakarian (Brest) 2
Favre (Nice) 1
Mararazzo (Stuttgart) 1
Nagelsman (Bayern) 1

Al Kamista

Sep 19, 2022, 10:39:36 AM9/19/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 4:03:50 PM UTC-4, anders t wrote:
> Quoting anders t in rec.sport.soccer:
> >Quoting Futbolmetrix in rec.sport.soccer:
> >>Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as many coaches as you want (but max of three points per coach). Decimal points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before December 31, you get the points.
> >>
> >>Previous years winners? We'll have to dig it up.
> >>
> >>It's too late to get those Tuchel points, but Brendan Rodgers's three points should be in the bag...
> >
> >Klopp 10.
> Oh sorry, missed one part of the rules.
>
> Klopp 3
> Klopp 3
> Klopp 3
> Klopp 1
>
> ;-)

Funny.

Interestingly, Klopp has now faced 5 different Man Utd managers while at LFC, helping facilitate the termination of 4 of them. Will Teg Hag complete the quintuple?

anders t

Sep 20, 2022, 1:49:41 AM9/20/22
We'll see. Btw: There is a slight possibility that we'll be 6 pts clear of
you guys after the next round. But I'm of course just jinxing.

Al Kamista

Sep 20, 2022, 8:57:38 AM9/20/22
Yes of course, anything is possible in this world.

But putting some numbers on it, 538 gives United a 0.1 chance of beating City, and gives Brighton a 0.16 chance of beating LFC. So that gives your 6 point gap a probability of 0.1 x 0.16 = 0.016. So about a 1.6% chance. Good luck!

anders t

Sep 20, 2022, 4:39:52 PM9/20/22
What were the figures before Man United - Liverpool?

Al Kamista

Sep 21, 2022, 10:53:00 PM9/21/22
Too small to be measured by any unit of measure currently known to man. Or Woman.

anders t

Sep 22, 2022, 1:27:32 AM9/22/22
Quoting Al Kamista in rec.sport.soccer:
>Too small to be measured by any unit of measure currently known to man. Or Woman.

But certainly easy peasy for the Woff gods!

Al Kamista

Sep 22, 2022, 5:20:04 PM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 1:27:32 AM UTC-4, anders t wrote:
> Quoting Al Kamista in rec.sport.soccer:
> >Too small to be measured by any unit of measure currently known to man. Or Woman.
> But certainly easy peasy for the Woff gods!

Here's another statistical gem:

538 makes Liverpool a bigger favorite to win the EL than Man Utd, even though LFC aren't even in the competition.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/europa-league/

So basically with an only 25% probability to entering the EL (i.e. finish 3rd in their CL group), LFC is still more favored to win it. That's pretty embarrassing for Man U.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 2, 2022, 12:14:40 PM10/2/22
On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 3:29:55 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:
> Deadline day entry
>
> Rodgers (Leicester) 2
> Moyes (West Ham) 0.5
> Bruno Lage (Wolves) 0.5
> Marsch (Leeds) 1
> Cooper (forest) 1
> Der Zakarian (Brest) 2
> Favre (Nice) 1
> Mararazzo (Stuttgart) 1
> Nagelsman (Bayern) 1

0.5 points for MH: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/02/wolves-sack-bruno-lage-after-slipping-into-drop-zone-with-west-ham-defeat

Standings:
Futbolmetrix 2 (Stroppa 2)
MH 0.5 (Lage 0.5)

Putting everything together, this is how things look:

Futbolmetrix:
----------------------
Rodgers (Leicester City) 3
Kovac (Wolfsburg) 2
Stroppa (Monza) 2
Cioffi (Verona) 1
Giampaolo (Sampdoria) 1
Quique Sanchez Flores (Getafe) 1

Werner:
------------
Rodgers 2,5
Seoane 2
Kovač 2
Maaßen 1
Marco Silva 1
Alvini 0,5
Óscar 0,5
Hasenhüttl 0,5

Mardin
-----------

--------------
Brendan Rodgers (Leicester City) 3
Frank Lampard (Everton) 3
Steven Gerrard (Aston Villa) 2
Michael Frontzeck (Wolfsburg) 2

Alkamista
----------------
Rodgers 3
Lopetegui 2
Lampard 2
Gerrard 1
Alegri 1
Seoane 1

MH
------

Futbolmetrix

Oct 2, 2022, 2:12:10 PM10/2/22
On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 12:14:40 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> 0.5 points for MH: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/02/wolves-sack-bruno-lage-after-slipping-into-drop-zone-with-west-ham-defeat
>
> Standings:
> Futbolmetrix 2 (Stroppa 2)
> MH 0.5 (Lage 0.5)

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Sampdoria/02-10-2022/sampdoria-giampaolo-daversa-ranieri-allenatore-450451120740.shtml

Likely to be one more point for me, even though not official yet.

Al Kamista

Oct 2, 2022, 2:26:17 PM10/2/22
How'd that 1.6% probability work? ;-)

Mark

Oct 3, 2022, 6:08:45 AM10/3/22
You forgot my entry.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 3, 2022, 5:47:21 PM10/3/22
On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 6:08:45 AM UTC-4, Mark wrote:

> You forgot my entry.

Sorry, RSS Coach Sacking Competition has always been limited to the top 5 leagues (I didn't say it explicitly in the original tweet, other than "usual rules apply")

Futbolmetrix

Oct 3, 2022, 5:56:25 PM10/3/22
Yep, Giampaolo gone. Apparently he has now reached 8 sackings in Serie A, making him the all-time leader.

RSSCSC Standings

Futbolmetrix 3 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1)
MH 0.5 (Lage 0.5)

Mark

Oct 4, 2022, 9:14:22 AM10/4/22
But Argentina and Brazil have 2 of the top 5 Leagues, along with Italy, Germany and Spain. Look at the number of international titles won by clubs from those countries.

Al Kamista

Oct 4, 2022, 10:01:23 PM10/4/22
The only thought that comes to mind is....LOL.

Werner Pichler

Oct 5, 2022, 4:43:34 PM10/5/22
Werner 2 (Seoane 2)
Alkamista 1 (Seoane 1)

> MH 0.5 (Lage 0.5)

Ciao,
Werner

Blueshirt

Oct 5, 2022, 4:48:28 PM10/5/22
Same old Mark... <rolls eyes> ;-)

Futbolmetrix

Oct 6, 2022, 7:13:44 AM10/6/22
On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 4:43:34 PM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/sevilla-espfc_sevilla/story/4761707/sevilla-sack-head-coach-julen-lopetegui-after-poor-start-to-season

> > RSSCSC Standings

Futbolmetrix 3 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1)
Alkamista 3 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2)
Werner 2 (Seoane 2)
Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)
MH 0.5 (Lage 0.5)

Real Mardin

Oct 6, 2022, 9:11:42 AM10/6/22
You know...I’ve always resisted playing this game because frankly speculating on someone getting sacked seems like slightly poor taste. Can I please clarify that I don’t wish any ill will toward the managers I selected. It’s only a game but I feel kind of lousy now. :(

RM

Futbolmetrix

Oct 6, 2022, 10:21:53 AM10/6/22
On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 9:11:42 AM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

> You know...I’ve always resisted playing this game because frankly speculating on someone getting sacked seems like
> slightly poor taste. Can I please clarify that I don’t wish any ill will toward the managers I selected. It’s only a game but
> I feel kind of lousy now. :(

Well, it is also known as the Vulture Game. And anyway, I'm sure that Lopetegui will land on his feet.

Al Kamista

Oct 6, 2022, 11:54:59 AM10/6/22
On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 9:11:42 AM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:
Don't feel so lousy. These guys will get more money in separation fees alone than most of us will make in our lifetimes. And they'll probably be employed again before they have even finished counting that money.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 6, 2022, 12:48:45 PM10/6/22
On 2022-09-20, anders t <anthu_001@-nospam-hotmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting Al Kamista in rec.sport.soccer:
>>On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 1:49:41 AM UTC-4, anders t wrote:
>>> We'll see. Btw: There is a slight possibility that we'll be 6 pts clear of
>>> you guys after the next round. But I'm of course just jinxing.
>>
>>Yes of course, anything is possible in this world.
>>
>>But putting some numbers on it, 538 gives United a 0.1 chance of beating City, and gives Brighton a 0.16 chance of beating LFC. So that gives your 6 point gap a probability of 0.1 x 0.16 = 0.016. So about a 1.6% chance. Good luck!
>
> What were the figures before Man United - Liverpool?

Outcomes were projected at 22%-21%-57%.

To be fair, the model couldn't know that Liverpool would be without Maguire.

Jesper Lauridsen

Oct 6, 2022, 12:48:45 PM10/6/22
On 2022-10-02, Futbolmetrix <daniele....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Frontzeck (Wolfsburg) 2

Am I the only one living in a reality where Wolfsburg isn't managed by Frontzeck?

Mark

Oct 7, 2022, 7:22:05 AM10/7/22
Yes; an honest, reliable source of unbiased, accurate information.

Really though, Futbolmetrix said top 5. Not rich 5, or top 5 over the last 10 years. It's reasonable to interpret top 5 as top 5 over the whole of history.

If you look at a list of the winners of the Copa Libertadores, European Champions Cup/League, and World Club Championship, the success of teams from the Leagues of Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina and Brazil speaks for itself doesn't it?

Blueshirt

Oct 7, 2022, 8:39:49 AM10/7/22
Mark wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 9:48:28 PM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
> >
> > Same old Mark... <rolls eyes> ;-)
>
> Yes; an honest, reliable source of unbiased, accurate information.

Unbiased is not the word I'd use, honest yes, but you show a clear bias
in a lot of your posts... which is fine, as you can have whatever pov
you want to. Just don't say "unbiased" as we all have biases in some
way or another. (It's not actually a crime!)

> Really though, Futbolmetrix said top 5. Not rich 5, or top 5 over the
> last 10 years. It's reasonable to interpret top 5 as top 5 over the
> whole of history.

No, it's not really, as the years in question are actually in the
subject title of this thread!!! We are not playing a 'Coach Sacking
Game' from leagues in 1975 or 1982 are we? So Futbolmetrix clearly
meant top fives leagues now as in, 2022/2023. Anybody thinking
otherwise is just being obtuse.

> If you look at a list of the winners of the Copa Libertadores,
> European Champions Cup/League, and World Club Championship, the
> success of teams from the Leagues of Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina
> and Brazil speaks for itself doesn't it?

What about England? Have English teams not won enough European trophies
to fit in to your selective criteria? What about the FIFA World Club
Championship*? Aren't the current holders of that - what you deem -
'precious' trophy, English?

(*I still maintain that the WCC is a glorified friendly with little or
no relevance in the big scheme of things but it seems in your world
it's only important when South American clubs win it!)

Unbiased? I think not!

Futbolmetrix

Oct 7, 2022, 11:54:50 AM10/7/22
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 8:39:49 AM UTC-4, Blueshirt wrote:

> > Really though, Futbolmetrix said top 5. Not rich 5, or top 5 over the
> > last 10 years. It's reasonable to interpret top 5 as top 5 over the
> > whole of history.

> No, it's not really, as the years in question are actually in the
> subject title of this thread!!! We are not playing a 'Coach Sacking
> Game' from leagues in 1975 or 1982 are we? So Futbolmetrix clearly
> meant top fives leagues now as in, 2022/2023. Anybody thinking
> otherwise is just being obtuse.

What I first said was "usual rules apply," which means you should have gone back to one of the previous editions, and I'm pretty sure it spelled out quite clearly "top 5 European leagues." (Men's leagues, by the way)

Mark, you are welcome to keep track of your score and let us know how you do relative to the others.

Mark

Oct 9, 2022, 3:53:35 AM10/9/22
More different clubs from Brazil, and more different clubs from Argentina, have been World Champions than the number of different clubs from England that have been champions of Europe.

Not biased; just accurate.

Blueshirt

Oct 9, 2022, 5:54:54 AM10/9/22
And? Until decent money was put on the table some European clubs saw
the WCC as an inconvenience and didn't bother with it. Historically it
has not been the premier trophy over here that you seem to think it
is...

The bottom line is that generally when people in Europe talk about the
big five leagues they don't mean the Brasileirão or Argentinian Primera
División.

> Not biased; just accurate.

That's your opinion.

Mark

Oct 10, 2022, 5:59:16 AM10/10/22
On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 10:54:54 AM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
> > On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 1:39:49 PM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
> >
> > More different clubs from Brazil, and more different clubs from
> > Argentina, have been World Champions than the number of different
> > clubs from England that have been champions of Europe.
> And? Until decent money was put on the table some European clubs saw
> the WCC as an inconvenience and didn't bother with it. Historically it
> has not been the premier trophy over here that you seem to think it
> is...

Even more Brazilian and Argentinean clubs have won the Copa Libertadores. Nobody sees that as an inconvenience and doesn't bother with it.

> The bottom line is that generally when people in Europe talk about the
> big five leagues they don't mean the Brasileirão or Argentinian Primera
> División.

Maybe they're biased then. What about people that look at football with a worldwide perspective? There's more clubs with international pedigree from Brazil and Argentina than there are from England and France.

Werner Pichler

Oct 10, 2022, 11:47:38 AM10/10/22
Another point for MH. Matarazzo's gone.

Ciao,
Werner

Werner Pichler

Oct 11, 2022, 12:52:20 PM10/11/22
Quickly followed by two more (Der Zakarian), and MH jumps into the lead.

Ciao,
Werner

Al Kamista

Oct 11, 2022, 2:19:18 PM10/11/22
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 6:22:05 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 9:48:28 PM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
> > Al Kamista wrote:

> > > The only thought that comes to mind is....LOL.
> > Same old Mark... <rolls eyes> ;-)
> Yes; an honest, reliable source of unbiased, accurate information.

If you want to be hopelessly biased, go ahead. Everyone here has biases and is free to express their opinion.

Just don't blow smoke up everyone's ass by claiming to be unbiased, please.

Blueshirt

Oct 11, 2022, 4:40:43 PM10/11/22
Of course people are biased, but the facts are Brazil and Argentina's
international recognition as football super powers comes more from the
adventures of their national teams in winning multiple World Cups and
playing football the likes of which some of us had never seen before.
Not because Santos or Boca Juniors won the Inter-Continental Cup.
Anyone claiming otherwise is delusional.

To this day Pele and Diego Maradona are spoken about as footballing
Gods (rightly so), but very few of those people could name the club
teams they played for in South America or how many Inter-Continental
Cup winners medals they won! The World Cup is the trophy that counts,
and that's where the international pedigree of Brasil and Argentina
reigns supreme.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 11, 2022, 5:02:19 PM10/11/22
On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 12:52:20 PM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

> > > Futbolmetrix 3 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1)
> > > Alkamista 3 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2)
> > > Werner 2 (Seoane 2)
> > > Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)
> > > MH 0.5 (Lage 0.5)
> >
> > Another point for MH. Matarazzo's gone.
> Quickly followed by two more (Der Zakarian), and MH jumps into the lead.

Thanks for the updates. Let's keep things in order:

RSSCSC standings
-------------------------------
MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
Futbolmetrix 3 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1)
Alkamista 3 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2)
Werner 2 (Seoane 2)
Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)

Andrea Agnelli today said that Allegri's job is safe. We'll see.

Futbolmetrix

Oct 13, 2022, 8:23:17 AM10/13/22
On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 5:02:19 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> Thanks for the updates. Let's keep things in order:

Cioffi gone. One point for me.

RSSCSC standings
-------------------------------
Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)

Werner Pichler

Oct 19, 2022, 6:56:06 AM10/19/22
On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 2:23:17 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 5:02:19 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > Thanks for the updates. Let's keep things in order:
>
> Cioffi gone. One point for me.

I had missed Óscar being sacked by Stade Reims.

Kramer is gone from Schalke, too, but I'm a bit surprised to see nobody picked him.

-------------------------------
Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
Alkamista 3 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2)
Werner 2.5 (Seoane 2, Óscar 0.5)
Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Oct 20, 2022, 7:17:13 PM10/20/22
On Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 6:56:06 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

Stevie G gone. 2 points for Blueshirt, one for Alka.

RSSCSC standings
-------------------------------
Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
Alkamista 4 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2, Gerrard)
MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
Werner 2.5 (Seoane 2, Óscar 0.5)
Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)
Blueshirt 2 (Gerrard 2)

Al Kamista

Nov 6, 2022, 12:29:41 PM11/6/22
Hassenhuttl gone. The Alpine Klopp is now the Alpine Rangnick.

Futbolmetrix

Nov 6, 2022, 1:24:13 PM11/6/22
On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 12:29:41 PM UTC-5, alka.. wrote:

> Hassenhuttl gone. The Alpine Klopp is now the Alpine Rangnick.

Thanks. Updated standings:

Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
Alkamista 4 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2, Gerrard)
MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
Werner 3 (Seoane 2, Óscar 0.5, Hasenhuttl 0.5)

Al Kamista

Nov 6, 2022, 3:49:57 PM11/6/22
These might be the final standings, unless something dramatic happens in next week's final round before the Abomination World Cup.

Werner Pichler

Nov 7, 2022, 6:51:33 AM11/7/22
The writing was on the wall for a while, but he's stuck around for four years, which is an eternity
for lower-half Premier League clubs. Only Pep and Klopp have been around longer.
Lately he's been erratic and seemed plain tired. I don't expect him to take over another top
level side anytime soon, neither in England nor in Germany.

But it also kind of begs the question what Southampton's expectations are. With teams like
Newcastle and Villa investing heavily, and even Forest getting in new players to field two teams,
it's hard to see how they can aim for anything but avoiding relegation with their financial input so far.

Ciao,
Werner

Al Kamista

Nov 7, 2022, 7:03:23 AM11/7/22
On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 6:51:33 AM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 6:29:41 PM UTC+1, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 7:17:13 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 6:56:06 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
> > > > >

> > > Stevie G gone. 2 points for Blueshirt, one for Alka.
> > > RSSCSC standings
> > > -------------------------------
> > > Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
> > > Alkamista 4 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2, Gerrard)
> > > MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
> > > Werner 2.5 (Seoane 2, Óscar 0.5)
> > > Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)
> > > Blueshirt 2 (Gerrard 2)
> >
> > Hassenhuttl gone. The Alpine Klopp is now the Alpine Rangnick.
> The writing was on the wall for a while, but he's stuck around for four years, which is an eternity
> for lower-half Premier League clubs. Only Pep and Klopp have been around longer.
> Lately he's been erratic and seemed plain tired. I don't expect him to take over another top
> level side anytime soon, neither in England nor in Germany.

He said earlier this year that he might consider retiring from football altogether to try something new, after the Southampton gig is over.

Werner Pichler

Nov 7, 2022, 7:07:57 AM11/7/22
Yep. Although that statement's surely to be taken with a grain of salt,
I'd understand it if he indeed called it quits, at least temporarily.

Ciao,
Werner

Mark

Nov 9, 2022, 3:53:57 AM11/9/22
But then I come along and trump you all with 5 points. Umberto Louzer (Juventude) 3, Eduardo Barroca (Avai) 1, Pedro Caixinha (Talleres) 1.

Do I get bonus points for Eduardo Barroca's replacement also being sacked?

Futbolmetrix

Nov 9, 2022, 5:15:18 PM11/9/22
On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 3:53:57 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

> But then I come along and trump you all with 5 points. Umberto Louzer (Juventude) 3, Eduardo Barroca (Avai) 1, Pedro Caixinha (Talleres) 1.

Nice! This should get you promoted to the more competitive "Top 5 European Leagues" RSSCSC! (ducks...)

Blueshirt

Nov 9, 2022, 5:24:11 PM11/9/22
Futbolmetrix wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 3:53:57 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:
>
>>But then I come along and trump you all with 5 points. Umberto Louzer
>>(Juventude) 3, Eduardo Barroca (Avai) 1, Pedro Caixinha (Talleres) 1.
>
>Nice! This should get you promoted to the more competitive "Top 5 Leagues
>in the world" RSSCSC! (ducks...)

I like to see a bit of humour here ! ;-)

Al Kamista

Nov 10, 2022, 11:55:36 AM11/10/22
On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 3:53:57 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:
> On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 6:24:13 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 12:29:41 PM UTC-5, alka.. wrote:
> >
> > > Hassenhuttl gone. The Alpine Klopp is now the Alpine Rangnick.
> > Thanks. Updated standings:
> > Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
> > Alkamista 4 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2, Gerrard)
> > MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
> > Werner 3 (Seoane 2, Óscar 0.5, Hasenhuttl 0.5)
> > Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)
> > Blueshirt 2 (Gerrard 2)
> But then I come along and trump you all with 5 points. Umberto Louzer (Juventude) 3, Eduardo Barroca (Avai) 1, Pedro Caixinha (Talleres) 1.

These obscure clubs from the Guatemalan and Laotian leagues don't count.

Blueshirt

Nov 10, 2022, 6:46:19 PM11/10/22
Why, are they not big leagues?! ;-)

Mark

Nov 11, 2022, 5:56:46 AM11/11/22
The rule is the top 5 leagues. That would include the Argentinian and Brazilian Leagues. How many World Club Championships have been won by French or English teams. Are you sure it isn't obscure clubs from the French and English leagues that don't count?

Blueshirt

Nov 11, 2022, 6:53:30 AM11/11/22
Mark wrote:

> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 4:55:36 PM UTC,
> alka...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > These obscure clubs from the Guatemalan and Laotian leagues don't
> > count.
>
> The rule is the top 5 leagues. That would include the Argentinian
> and Brazilian Leagues.

Stop that nonsense! You're just making yourself look silly. (Again!)

> How many World Club Championships have been won by French or
English > teams. Are you sure it isn't obscure clubs from the French
> and English leagues that don't count?

The current World Club Champions are English and they beat a
Brazilian team in the Final!!!

Chelsea 2 Palmeiras 1 Remember that?

Werner Pichler

Feb 13, 2023, 5:05:23 AM2/13/23
So how did that go

Ciao,
Werner

Jesper Lauridsen

Feb 19, 2023, 5:47:38 PM2/19/23
Meanwhile Chelsea is enjoying life without Tuchel.

MH

Feb 20, 2023, 11:51:07 PM2/20/23
EPL - mangers fired:

Parker, Tuchel, Lage, Gerrard, Hassenhuttl, Lampard, Marsch, Jones 8/20

Bundesliga

Tedesco (now manager of Belgium), Reis,Matarazzo, Seoane, Kramer,
Breitnereiter 6/18

SPAIN

Francisco, Lopetegui, Coudet, Almiron, Gattuso 5/20

ITALY

Mihajlovic, Stroppa, Giampaolo, Cioffi, Bochetti ?, Alvini, Nicola,
Gotti 8/20 or 7/20

FRANCe

Bosz, Furlan, Der Zakarian, Garcia, Dall'Oglio, Irles, Baticle, Stephan,
Favre, Pitau

10/20 or 50 % - the winner !

MH

Feb 21, 2023, 1:44:56 PM2/21/23
On 2023-02-20 21:51, MH wrote:
> On 2023-02-19 15:47, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

>>> So how did that go
>>
>> Meanwhile Chelsea is enjoying life without Tuchel.

Any bets as to who is next in each league ?

> EPL - mangers fired:
>
> Parker, Tuchel, Lage, Gerrard, Hassenhuttl, Lampard, Marsch, Jones  8/20

Moyes must be sleeping badly. Maybe Rodgers ? Potter must also be
vulnerable.

> Bundesliga
>
> Tedesco (now manager of Belgium), Reis,Matarazzo, Seoane, Kramer,
> Breitnereiter    6/18

Schwartz must be due for the shove. Maybe Letsch ?

Blueshirt

Feb 21, 2023, 5:59:20 PM2/21/23
MH wrote:

> On 2023-02-20 21:51, MH wrote:
> > EPL - mangers fired:
> >
> > Parker, Tuchel, Lage, Gerrard, Hassenhuttl, Lampard, Marsch, Jones
> > 8/20
>
> Moyes must be sleeping badly. Maybe Rodgers ? Potter must also be
> vulnerable.

My money is on David Moyes to be next manager sacked in the EPL.

Werner Pichler

Feb 24, 2023, 4:34:43 PM2/24/23
Not that it's particularly likely, but - Nagelsmann? A loss against Union and elimination by PSG
would probably do the trick, so he's closer to the precipice than it might seem.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Mar 23, 2023, 5:24:42 PM3/23/23
On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 4:34:43 PM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

> Not that it's particularly likely, but - Nagelsmann? A loss against Union and elimination by PSG
> would probably do the trick, so he's closer to the precipice than it might seem.

Good call, even though the circumstances were off:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1639012112595922945?s=20

Al Kamista

Mar 24, 2023, 12:32:00 PM3/24/23
1 point off the top of the league, comfortably into the QF of the CL.

Peculiar decision.

MH

Mar 24, 2023, 10:00:52 PM3/24/23
Indeed.

They must have a lot of belief in Tuchel. One wonders why - sure he has
had results (2 leagues, 1 cup, a CL) in three previous places. But he
seems to get in conflict with the higher-ups very quickly. Given the
clubs he has been at the success rate is less than brilliant.

Blueshirt

Mar 25, 2023, 7:42:11 AM3/25/23
It doesn't mean the higher-ups are always right though. The bosses own
the club and call the tune but in hindsight Chelsea swapping Tuchel for
Potter doesn't seem to have been the most inspired choice.

Al Kamista

Mar 26, 2023, 6:21:45 PM3/26/23
Been saying that for years. Domestic success with PSG is just base tablestakes. CL success with Chelsea was a big deal, but in the league they were inconsistent throughout his reign.

Futbolmetrix

Sep 1, 2023, 6:22:30 PM9/1/23
Di we ever tally up the final points from last year?

Futbolmetrix

Sep 1, 2023, 6:41:56 PM9/1/23
On Friday, September 1, 2023 at 6:22:30 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Did we ever tally up the final points from last year?

Looks like the final standings should be:

Werner 4 (Seoane 2, Óscar 0.5, Alvini 1, Hasenhuttl 0.5)
Futbolmetrix 4 (Stroppa 2, Giampaolo 1, Cioffi 1)
Alkamista 4 (Seoane 1, Lopetegui 2, Gerrard 1)
MH 3.5 (Lage 0.5, Matarazzo 1, Der Zakarian 2)
Mardin 2 (Lopetegui 2)
Blueshirt 2 (Gerrard 2)

And Werner wins based on having the highest number of correctly called coaches (maybe we shouldn't do decimal points, as it gives too much of an incentive to spread all the eggs in different baskets?)

RSSCSC Hall Of Fame:

2019/2020: Werner (https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/XSc9u05-nZM/m/17dzvX4jBAAJ)
2020/2021: Wener https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/tQ7x-z5PCwo/m/7qt-xh-PAwAJ
2021/2022: Alkamista/Futbolmetrix: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/b6C-v7vABLE/m/DtK0JGTTBQAJ
2022/2023: Werner: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/4-MjRzolCcE/m/0jPQ_Of7DgAJ

Futbolmetrix

Sep 1, 2023, 6:43:33 PM9/1/23
There were a few more good calls, just came in a bit too late: Lampard, Marsch, Favre

Mark

Sep 2, 2023, 6:08:16 AM9/2/23
Wrong! I got 5 points.

Blueshirt

Sep 2, 2023, 6:16:16 AM9/2/23
- VAR Check - Possible wrong total -

Futbolmetrix needs to go to his PC screen to check

(The final standings as posted on RSS can only be overruled if it is a
clear and obvious error.)

MH

Sep 7, 2023, 3:10:57 PM9/7/23
On 2022-09-07 04:35, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> Usual rules apply. You get 10 points which you can allocate to as many coaches as you want (but max of three points per coach). Decimal points allowed. Any coach that you nominated and gets sacked before December 31, you get the points.
>
> Previous years winners? We'll have to dig it up.
>
> It's too late to get those Tuchel points, but Brendan Rodgers's three points should be in the bag...

So which of the following out of work coaches is going to get hired
first, and by whom ?

Antonio Conte
Christophe Galthier
Julen Lopetegui
Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
Laurent Blanc
Ralph Hasenhüttl
Julian Nagelsman
Frank Lampard
Graham Potter

I am sure the list could be added to.

I could see Galthier going to Lyon very soon.

Mark

Sep 8, 2023, 7:39:57 AM9/8/23
And the result of the VAR check is.... Mark wins.

Mark

Sep 8, 2023, 7:43:30 AM9/8/23
On Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 8:10:57 PM UTC+1, MH wrote:

> So which of the following out of work coaches is going to get hired
> first, and by whom ?
>
> Antonio Conte
> Christophe Galthier
> Julen Lopetegui
> Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
> Laurent Blanc
> Ralph Hasenhüttl
> Julian Nagelsman
> Frank Lampard
> Graham Potter
>
> I am sure the list could be added to.

Yep. You can add Vlatko Andanovski. (Or does their last job have to have been with a club or a men's team or whatever?)