US Roster for Jamaica

Philip Lennox Beineke

Sep 30, 2001, 1:24:41 PM9/30/01
Keepers: Keller, Friedel, Thornton
Defenders: Goos, Bocanegra, Pope, Fraser, Cherundolo, Regis, Sanneh,
Vanney
Midfielders: Armas, Williams, Lagos, Preki, JOB, Reyna, Stewart
Forwards: Donovan, Jones, Kirovski, JMM, Razov

If Reyna's injury is serious, look for Mastroeni to take his spot.

--
Phil Beineke bei...@stanford.edu
He felt like a man who, chasing rainbows, has had one of them

Doug Karpa-Wilson

Sep 30, 2001, 3:57:34 PM9/30/01

Philip Lennox Beineke wrote:

> Keepers: Keller, Friedel, Thornton
> Defenders: Goos, Bocanegra, Pope, Fraser, Cherundolo, Regis, Sanneh,
> Vanney
> Midfielders: Armas, Williams, Lagos, Preki, JOB, Reyna, Stewart
> Forwards: Donovan, Jones, Kirovski, JMM, Razov
>
> If Reyna's injury is serious, look for Mastroeni to take his spot.

I thought JOB was the odds on favorite for the center. To tell the
truth, I've not had a chance to see Mastroeni play a whole lot this
season. Can he really make the delicate pass? I'm happy to see
Bocanegra in the mix as well. Llamosa is out, no?

Still, why on earth is Richie Williams in there? Read my lips: NO
MORE ABMOD!

So, the starters? My guess:

Friedel
Sanneh Pope Goos, Regis
Armas
Stewart JOB Jones
Donovan JMM

Not that that'd be my choice, but I suspect it'll be Reynas. Maybe
JMM in mid, Stewart up front with Donovan, JOB on the wing?

Doug

--
Thomas wrote:
Didn't you say a few months ago that the USA will win [the World
Cup] before England does again?
Can we please win one match outside of the USA before we make these comments?

Philip Lennox Beineke

Sep 30, 2001, 4:33:06 PM9/30/01
Doug Karpa-Wilson <dkar...@BLOCK.indiana.edu> wrote:

>Philip Lennox Beineke wrote:
>> If Reyna's injury is serious, look for Mastroeni to take his spot.
>
>I thought JOB was the odds on favorite for the center.

Agreed -- I meant that Mastroeni would take Reyna's roster
spot if Claudio can't train with the team

>So, the starters? My guess:
>
>Friedel
>Sanneh Pope Goos, Regis
>Armas
>Stewart JOB Jones
>Donovan JMM

Boy, this looks so much stronger if Reyna is in and JOB can
play wide. Either way, as you suggested, it's a crapshoot
up front. Razov, if fit, seems like the most natural player
to tandem with Donovan. How did he look yesterday?

Phil

Richie

Oct 1, 2001, 6:37:44 PM10/1/01
"Friedel
>Sanneh Pope Goos, Regis
>Armas
>Stewart JOB Jones
>Donovan JMM"

How about

Keller
Sanneh Pope Lamosa Agoss
armas defensive mid
Jones right wing Donovan- offensive mid Job at left wing
Stewart and JMM Strikers

Philip Lennox Beineke

Oct 2, 2001, 12:30:42 AM10/2/01
Philip Lennox Beineke <bei...@rgmiller.stanford.edu> wrote:

Doug wrote:
>>So, the starters? My guess:
>>
>>Friedel
>>Sanneh Pope Goos, Regis
>>Armas
>>Stewart JOB Jones
>>Donovan JMM
>
>Boy, this looks so much stronger if Reyna is in and JOB can
>play wide.

Various sources report that Rangers' team doctor expects Reyna
to play on Sunday.

Against Celtic, he didn't look quite as fluid or as mobile
as usual, but he was still very effective in the midfield.
His return would be such a boost to a team that really needs it.

Michael Babyak

Oct 2, 2001, 7:21:18 AM10/2/01
Philip Lennox Beineke <bei...@rgmiller.stanford.edu> wrote:

: Various sources report that Rangers' team doctor expects Reyna
: to play on Sunday.

A reporter friend of mine spoke to Rangers yesterday and it sounds like
he'll be able to play Sunday. He banged his knee against the goalpost and
it blew up like a ballon, but they were able to get it down with ice
pretty quickly.

Mike Babyak

Doug Karpa-Wilson

Oct 2, 2001, 11:20:23 PM10/2/01

Richie wrote:

> How about
>
> Keller
> Sanneh Pope Lamosa Agoss
> armas defensive mid
> Jones right wing Donovan- offensive mid Job at left wing
> Stewart and JMM Strikers

Tough call between having JOB in the middle and Donovan. Still
actually, I think I'd like to have Donovan up front with Earnie, JOB
behind because he's got a good tackle and put in quite accurate
passes. Now that Jones is taking on defenders more he can play wing
and attack the corner of the box rather than launching useless crosses.

Jim Goloboy

Oct 2, 2001, 11:28:10 PM10/2/01

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Doug Karpa-Wilson wrote:

> Richie wrote:
>
> > How about
> >
> > Keller
> > Sanneh Pope Lamosa Agoss
> > armas defensive mid
> > Jones right wing Donovan- offensive mid Job at left wing
> > Stewart and JMM Strikers
>
> Tough call between having JOB in the middle and Donovan. Still
> actually, I think I'd like to have Donovan up front with Earnie, JOB
> behind because he's got a good tackle and put in quite accurate
> passes.

Does JOB ever play an attacking mid role for anyone? I'm not sure if he's
really been a playmaking type, though I'm not completely sure of the role
Ajax is trying to use him at now.

It looks like Reyna will probably be okay, so where do you play him?

Philip Lennox Beineke

Oct 3, 2001, 2:21:23 AM10/3/01
Jim Goloboy <gol...@uiuc.edu> wrote:
>Does JOB ever play an attacking mid role for anyone? I'm not sure if he's
>really been a playmaking type, though I'm not completely sure of the role
>Ajax is trying to use him at now.

All the way from U-17 through the Olympics, JOB was a fine playmaker for
the US; however, Ajax has never put him there, even in the reserves. Last
season, they were using him as a wide back, but this past weekend, he
played more of an Armas role.

>It looks like Reyna will probably be okay, so where do you play [JOB]?

Lots of options ... here's a look.

APPEALING
1) Supporting Reyna in the middle of a 3-5-2. Reyna is not 100%, and we
could really benefit from the added ball control.

2) Left back. As a truly two-footed player, JOB does well
on either flank, and he would be a major upgrade from Regis/Vanney.
In fact, he provides exactly the kind of support and distribution that
Arena wants at that role.

LESS APPEALING
3) JOB at left mid, move Sanneh to right back, with Regis/Vanney at left
back. This would leave people in their most natural positions, but I
believe that Jamaica will be dangerous up their left (our right) flank.
Sanneh may not be the man to hold down that wing, even though we do
need him on the field to contain Lowe on restarts.

4) JOB at right back. If Dolo isn't up to the job, we need somebody
there, and Pope is needed in the middle.

UNAPPEALING
5) JOB held out as a sub for when Reyna gets hurt again.

Phil

Ron Moskovitz

Oct 3, 2001, 2:49:18 AM10/3/01
in article Pine.GSO.4.31.011002...@ux8.cso.uiuc.edu, Jim
Goloboy at gol...@uiuc.edu wrote on 10/2/01 8:28 PM:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Doug Karpa-Wilson wrote:
>

>> Richie wrote:
>>
>>> How about
>>>
>>> Keller
>>> Sanneh Pope Lamosa Agoss
>>> armas defensive mid
>>> Jones right wing Donovan- offensive mid Job at left wing
>>> Stewart and JMM Strikers
>>
>> Tough call between having JOB in the middle and Donovan. Still
>> actually, I think I'd like to have Donovan up front with Earnie, JOB
>> behind because he's got a good tackle and put in quite accurate
>> passes.
>
> Does JOB ever play an attacking mid role for anyone? I'm not sure if he's
> really been a playmaking type, though I'm not completely sure of the role
> Ajax is trying to use him at now.
>
> It looks like Reyna will probably be okay, so where do you play him?

I'd probably line up Sanneh-Pope-Llamosa Agoos.
Armas-JOB-Reyna-Stewart
Donovan and either Razov or Kirovsky up front.

Jones shouldn't get anywhere near the field, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know if we have anybody who's considered a pure winger. I feel that
this midfield can control the ball (JOB, Reyna) and push forward (Stew) and
Donovan's job is to make things happen.

I'm not as confident as I would like to be. We should win with this lineup,
but Donovan still has a lot to prove at the international level, and neither
Razov nor Kirovsky have wowed me.

I get depressed when I think about the posibility of not qualifying. I
think that if we could start JOB-Reyna-Wolff-Donovan and the midfield and
Mathis and McBride at front we'd have a reasonable shot at the second round.
(I guess it could be worse. Holland would have had a reasonable shot at the
final if they qualified.) We must win.

Jackie Tellier

Oct 3, 2001, 10:16:08 AM10/3/01
US not the only ones with injury woes...

Associated Press
Oct. 2, 2001 08:37 PM
KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) - Two of Jamaica's potential starters for Sunday's
World Cup qualifier against the United States will miss the game because of
injuries.
Defender Frank Sinclair and midfielder Darryl Powell were hurt while playing
in England's Premier League, Jamaica Football Federation spokesman Earl
Bailey said Tuesday.

Claude Davis, a defender with the Jamaican club Hazard, will replace
Sinclair on the roster and Winston Griffiths, who plays for the Connecticut
Wolves of the A League, will replace Powell.

The United States (4-3-1) would qualify for its fourth straight World Cup if
it beats Jamaica on Sunday at Foxboro, Mass., and wins on Nov. 11 at
Trinidad and Tobago.

"Philip Lennox Beineke" <bei...@rgmiller.stanford.edu> wrote in message

Pitch Invasion

Oct 3, 2001, 11:39:15 AM10/3/01

"Ron Moskovitz" <rmos...@usc.edu> wrote in message

> in article Pine.GSO.4.31.011002...@ux8.cso.uiuc.edu, Jim
> Goloboy at gol...@uiuc.edu wrote on 10/2/01 8:28 PM:

> >> Tough call between having JOB in the middle and Donovan. Still
> >> actually, I think I'd like to have Donovan up front with Earnie, JOB
> >> behind because he's got a good tackle and put in quite accurate
> >> passes.
> >
> > Does JOB ever play an attacking mid role for anyone? I'm not sure if
he's
> > really been a playmaking type, though I'm not completely sure of the
role
> > Ajax is trying to use him at now.
> >
> > It looks like Reyna will probably be okay, so where do you play him?
>
> I'd probably line up Sanneh-Pope-Llamosa Agoos.
> Armas-JOB-Reyna-Stewart
> Donovan and either Razov or Kirovsky up front.

Since Llamosa is inelligible for this match, I don't think I'd have him in
my lineup. ;-)

I'd go
Freidel
Sanneh-Pope-Agoos-Regis
Armas
Stewart-Reyna-O'brien
Donovan-Razov

-PI

Philip Lennox Beineke

Oct 3, 2001, 1:25:16 PM10/3/01
Jackie Tellier <jste...@home.com> wrote:
>US not the only ones with injury woes...
>
>Associated Press
>Oct. 2, 2001 08:37 PM
>KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) - Two of Jamaica's potential starters for Sunday's
>World Cup qualifier against the United States will miss the game because of
>injuries.
>Defender Frank Sinclair and midfielder Darryl Powell were hurt while playing
>in England's Premier League, Jamaica Football Federation spokesman Earl
>Bailey said Tuesday.

Any description of what these "injuries" are?

IMO, a more plausible scenario is that these Englishmen didn't feel
like travelling during their off-week now that Jamaica is effectively
eliminated. Several other foreign-based players didn't attend
practice yesterday, either.

Ron Moskovitz

Oct 3, 2001, 1:50:30 PM10/3/01
in article I4Fu7.144301$K6.67819870@news2, Jackie Tellier at
jste...@home.com wrote on 10/3/01 7:16 AM:

> US not the only ones with injury woes...

Yeah, but those aren't their three best offensive players (as is the case
with the missing Mathis, Wolff, and McBride).

David E. Latane

Oct 3, 2001, 4:02:53 PM10/3/01

On 3 Oct 2001, Philip Lennox Beineke wrote:

> >Defender Frank Sinclair and midfielder Darryl Powell were hurt while playing
> >in England's Premier League, Jamaica Football Federation spokesman Earl
> >Bailey said Tuesday.
>
> Any description of what these "injuries" are?
>
> IMO, a more plausible scenario is that these Englishmen didn't feel
> like travelling during their off-week now that Jamaica is effectively
> eliminated. Several other foreign-based players didn't attend
> practice yesterday, either.

Or maybe they didn't want Frank "Heathrow" Sinclair to be bulletin board
material.

D. Latane

Doug Karpa-Wilson

Oct 3, 2001, 10:17:06 PM10/3/01

Philip Lennox Beineke wrote:
\

> All the way from U-17 through the Olympics, JOB was a fine playmaker for
> the US;

Which is of course where I became such a big JOB fan.

.

> APPEALING
> 1) Supporting Reyna in the middle of a 3-5-2. Reyna is not 100%, and we
> could really benefit from the added ball control.
>
> 2) Left back. As a truly two-footed player, JOB does well
> on either flank, and he would be a major upgrade from Regis/Vanney.
> In fact, he provides exactly the kind of support and distribution that
> Arena wants at that role.

That's an interesting idea. He might just make a good wing back,
although I suspect that he might not get to use his ball skills to
best advantage.

Another thought comes from the fact that Reyna doesn't play #10 for
Rangers either. Perhaps, JOB in the middle up front, Reyna behind,
Armas on the bench. I know some feel like we should play Reyna at
right back, but I'm not sure his ball holding skills and
distribution would be best used there. My thinking about having JOB
in front instead of Reyna is that I think he'll turn out to be as
good at playmaking if only because he isn't as slow as January
molasses in going forward.

Doug

___

John Knapp

Oct 4, 2001, 9:32:04 AM10/4/01
Ron Moskovitz wrote:

> I'd probably line up Sanneh-Pope-Llamosa Agoos.
> Armas-JOB-Reyna-Stewart
> Donovan and either Razov or Kirovsky up front.
>
> Jones shouldn't get anywhere near the field, as far as I'm concerned.

Amen brudda, amen.

John Knapp

Oct 4, 2001, 9:34:24 AM10/4/01
Jackie Tellier wrote:

> US not the only ones with injury woes...
>
> Associated Press
> Oct. 2, 2001 08:37 PM
> KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) - Two of Jamaica's potential starters for Sunday's
> World Cup qualifier against the United States will miss the game because of
> injuries.
> Defender Frank Sinclair and midfielder Darryl Powell were hurt while playing
> in England's Premier League, Jamaica Football Federation spokesman Earl
> Bailey said Tuesday.

Mixed blessing. As any Leicester fan can tell you, sometimes it's better not to
have Sinclair around.

Jason Maxwell

Oct 4, 2001, 9:52:04 AM10/4/01
"John Knapp" <jkn...@oacpc.com> wrote in message
Yeah, how many own goals was it last year? I know he started the season
turning the first game from a draw into a loss and the second game from a
win into a draw...

Jason

Pitch Invasion

Oct 4, 2001, 12:12:53 PM10/4/01

"John Knapp" <jkn...@oacpc.com> wrote in message

Really? Yes, I think our only real threat in the past three debacles should
never see the pitch... He is one-dimesional for sure, but he is really the
ONLY player we have who demands two defenders when he makes his forays down
the right flank. He doesn't score, but his presence almost always opens up
the forward third of the pitch and he can make an occasional brilliant cross
after his usual stepover, fake left, burst toward the goal-line move. He is
limited, but he does cause problems for the opposition, and options for the
US.

-PI

Ron Moskovitz

Oct 4, 2001, 12:45:28 PM10/4/01
in article 9pi1q8$ibir9$1...@ID-8013.news.dfncis.de, Pitch Invasion at
buz...@yahoo.com wrote on 10/4/01 9:12 AM:

He did that what, once or twice, total, in the last three games?

Compared to how many times that he ran nowhere which cost us possession?

And he was our only real offensive threat? What abuot Stewart, who scored
twice against Honduras?

Compared to how many times that he ran nowhere which cost us possession?

With Reyna, JOB, and Donovan in the game, I think the US needs to rely on
more of a ball-control, short-passing style than hoping for individual
brilliance to score. Move the ball around and let our creative guys create.

Pitch Invasion

Oct 4, 2001, 12:48:32 PM10/4/01

"Ron Moskovitz" <rmos...@usc.edu> wrote in message

And just who are our *creative guys*? Let me know when we get one. I'd say
Donovan is the closest we have. Don't even start with any Claudio or JOB
crap. BTW, I didn't say Cobi should be starting. No way in the world should
he be. He *is* a great late game substitute and you know it.

-PI

Victoria Barrett

Oct 4, 2001, 1:33:00 PM10/4/01

"Jason Maxwell" <jaso...@home.com> wrote in message

> "John Knapp" <jkn...@oacpc.com> wrote in message
> > Mixed blessing. As any Leicester fan can tell you, sometimes it's better
> not to
> > have Sinclair around.
> >
> Yeah, how many own goals was it last year? I know he started the season
> turning the first game from a draw into a loss and the second game from a
> win into a draw...

I think Sinclair has the most negative points *for a starting* EPL defender
on the Yahoo. Although Keown might be a whisker away either side. :)

Links, links, everywhere, links:
http://www.soccerassociation.com/cgi-bin/pinfo.cgi?85

Michael Babyak

Oct 4, 2001, 1:32:33 PM10/4/01
Pitch Invasion <buz...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: And just who are our *creative guys*? Let me know when we get one. I'd say

: Donovan is the closest we have. Don't even start with any Claudio or JOB
: crap. BTW, I didn't say Cobi should be starting. No way in the world should
: he be. He *is* a great late game substitute and you know it.

Huh? Have you seen Reyna or JOB with their club teams? Both can be very
creative and effective going forward.

Mike Babyak

Philip Lennox Beineke

Oct 4, 2001, 1:58:01 PM10/4/01
Pitch Invasion <buz...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> With Reyna, JOB, and Donovan in the game, I think the US needs to rely on
>> more of a ball-control, short-passing style than hoping for individual
>> brilliance to score. Move the ball around and let our creative guys
>create.
>
>And just who are our *creative guys*? Let me know when we get one. I'd say
>Donovan is the closest we have. Don't even start with any Claudio or JOB
>crap.

Yikes. In your last post, LD wasn't a "real threat;" now, he's a better
creator than Reyna and O'Brien.

Let's be totally clear. Reyna and O'Brien both have great close control
and see the field really well. They're both capable of creating excellent
scoring chances with their ball movement against Jamaica.

The Jamaicans would love to get us into an unstructured, individualistic
game. They can beat us that way. To counter, we must establish
possession, work the entire field, and deliver the incisive pass that will
break down their inexperienced central defense.

For this gameplan, JOB and Claudio are terrific assets. The concerns
are whether our other players will move intelligently enough off the ball
to get in position to score, and whether they'll convert the chances they
do get.

I'm really looking forward to see how our team does on Sunday.
Phil

John Knapp

Oct 4, 2001, 2:11:53 PM10/4/01

Pitch Invasion wrote:

> . BTW, I didn't say Cobi should be starting. No way in the world should
> he be.

Well at least now you're talking some sense ;)

> He *is* a great late game substitute and you know it.

Well, he could be. At what position I'm not sure. His tireless energy is his
best asset. I've said it before but really think that if he learned to
distribute the ball more quickly (and it could be too late to teach this old dog
that new trick) he could be a real terrier in the middle of the field. Don't
even ask him to do anythig in the last third.

jk

Pitch Invasion

Oct 4, 2001, 2:20:06 PM10/4/01

"Philip Lennox Beineke" <bei...@rgmiller.stanford.edu> wrote in message

As am I. My only comment on LD was that he's the closest thing we have to a
creative player. Yes, Claudio and JOB have good ball skills and control,
almost as good as Ramos, but neither are the offensively creative players I
am hoping we'll one day have. I was thinking of forward thinking creativity,
not the creative back pass ala' Reyna. (Yes, I'm giving him too much grief
for effect) I do agree that with a healthy Reyna and O'brien we should
actually be far better at midfield possession and buildup than the past
three debacles. Now, if we only had Wolff, McBride, Olsen and Mathis to
supplement this squad...

-PI

Pitch Invasion

Oct 4, 2001, 2:35:55 PM10/4/01

"John Knapp" <jkn...@oacpc.com> wrote in message

He has set up some beautiful goals with his crosses. I agree he is NOT a
real threat to break into the box himself, but he is tremendous at getting
it *to* the box. His defense is superb, which is why I'd rather see him than
Sanneh as a wide MF player.

-PI

> jk

Victoria Barrett

Oct 4, 2001, 4:36:00 PM10/4/01

"John Knapp" <jkn...@oacpc.com> wrote in message

I'm embarrassed just how long it took me to figure out who JOB was (BTW,
where is TOB? Do you think he'll not post for the qualifier on Sunday?).
Here's a scouting report on Cobi from:

http://www.soccerassociation.com/cgi-bin/pinfo.cgi?85

PLAYER PROFILE

12-May-2001, Marzell Holmes: Cobi Jones is the mystery man of US football.
Some how, some way, he always seems to find his way into the national squad,
even though he's utterly inept most of the time he's on the pitch. Cobi is
fast, but his passes too often end up at the feet of opposing players. His
crosses can be a thing of beauty on occasion, but mostly seem to fall
randomly about the ground. Cobi likes to think of himself as some sort of
soccer superstar, but his performances on the pitch simply do not back up
his self-image or the media hype that's foisted on him. He must have
something on someone in US soccer, I'm sure of it.
--

Pretty close to home, and I like the guy too.

Ron Moskovitz

Oct 4, 2001, 7:57:52 PM10/4/01
in article 9pi7v9$op5$1...@usenet.Stanford.EDU, Philip Lennox Beineke at
bei...@rgmiller.stanford.edu wrote on 10/4/01 10:58 AM:

> Pitch Invasion <buz...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> With Reyna, JOB, and Donovan in the game, I think the US needs to rely on
>>> more of a ball-control, short-passing style than hoping for individual
>>> brilliance to score. Move the ball around and let our creative guys
>> create.
>>
>> And just who are our *creative guys*? Let me know when we get one. I'd say
>> Donovan is the closest we have. Don't even start with any Claudio or JOB
>> crap.
>
> Yikes. In your last post, LD wasn't a "real threat;" now, he's a better
> creator than Reyna and O'Brien.
>
> Let's be totally clear. Reyna and O'Brien both have great close control
> and see the field really well. They're both capable of creating excellent
> scoring chances with their ball movement against Jamaica.

Reyna, JOB, and LD are the guys who I have confidence will make the smart
pass, and won't look foolish with the ball at their feet. I'm a firm
believer that if you get a couple of good passers moving the ball around
good things will happen.

Maybe this means Preki should be our other starting forward. I don't know.
When you have good passers on the field, the whole can be more than the sum
of the parts.

This is part of why I feel Jones shouldn't be on the pitch. Nothing is
worse for good passers than a guy who can't or won't pass the ball back to
you.

Doug Karpa-Wilson

Oct 4, 2001, 11:03:47 PM10/4/01

Pitch Invasion wrote:

> As am I. My only comment on LD was that he's the closest thing we have to a
> creative player. Yes, Claudio and JOB have good ball skills and control,
> almost as good as Ramos, but neither are the offensively creative players I
> am hoping we'll one day have.
>

> -PI

I'm curious why you say that. JOB hasn't really been played in a
creative role position except in the Olympics.

Doug

Pitch Invasion

Oct 5, 2001, 12:37:19 PM10/5/01

"Doug Karpa-Wilson" <dkar...@BLOCK.indiana.edu> wrote in message

> Pitch Invasion wrote:
> >

> > As am I. My only comment on LD was that he's the closest thing we have
to a
> > creative player. Yes, Claudio and JOB have good ball skills and control,
> > almost as good as Ramos, but neither are the offensively creative
players I
> > am hoping we'll one day have.
> >
> > -PI
>
> I'm curious why you say that. JOB hasn't really been played in a
> creative role position except in the Olympics.
>
> Doug

Perhaps if I insert *yet* you'll get the picture? He's not done it for Ajax,
he hasn't *yet* done it for the Yanks, maybe he will. But from all I've seen
he's not what you're insinuating he may be, *yet*.

-PI