Bravoblade GL opinions?

Napoleon

May 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/4/95
I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)

Napoleon

Douglas William Cole

May 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/7/95
Napoleon (napo...@ra.isisnet.com) wrote:
: I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
: experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
: info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)

: Napoleon

<puke> I have the GLX and I hate them. I *love* rollerblading,
but I just hate my skates. I have flat feet and these skates just make
them ACHE like you won't belive. My ankles also get weak fast and I have
to takle ym skates off sometimes just to rest my feet.

They're not durable either if you want to do any jumping. Mine
aren't holding up very well from all the street stuff I do.

There's also no chance of any grinding on them. The wheels are
huge and the base of the skate is thin plastic that cracks and wears in
no time. I asked the skate shop to put some grind plates on it and they
said that there are NO GRIND PLATES that will fit on a GLX. What a rip.

George Robbins

May 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/7/95
In article <3ohtj6$5...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu> do...@umd.umich.edu (Douglas William Cole) writes:
> Napoleon (napo...@ra.isisnet.com) wrote:
> : I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
> : experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
> : info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)
>
> <puke> I have the GLX and I hate them. I *love* rollerblading,
> but I just hate my skates. I have flat feet and these skates just make
> them ACHE like you won't belive. My ankles also get weak fast and I have
> to takle ym skates off sometimes just to rest my feet.
>
> They're not durable either if you want to do any jumping. Mine
> aren't holding up very well from all the street stuff I do.

Just out of curiousity, did you buy them, not understanding what kind of
skating you preferred, or did someone give them to you?

> There's also no chance of any grinding on them. The wheels are
> huge and the base of the skate is thin plastic that cracks and wears in
> no time. I asked the skate shop to put some grind plates on it and they
> said that there are NO GRIND PLATES that will fit on a GLX. What a rip.

CDS Detroit sells a setup that involves narrow wheels and a plate that mounts
between the wheels and the inside of the frame, if you really want to grind
on them, at the expense of a permenant Anti-Rocker setup.

As you probably know by now, Lightnings and Macroblades are the "wide feet"
skates in the Rollerblade line. Flat feet may benefit by replacing the
stock foot bed with a heat-molded one.

--
George Robbins - not working for, work: to be avoided at all costs...
but still emotionally attached to: uucp: ...!uunet!tharsis.com!grr

Greg Parkinson

May 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/7/95
In article <D87q...@tigger.jvnc.net>, g...@tharsis.com (George Robbins) wrote:

> In article <3ohtj6$5...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>
do...@umd.umich.edu (Douglas William Cole) writes:
> > <puke> I have the GLX and I hate them. I *love* rollerblading,
> > but I just hate my skates. I have flat feet and these skates just make
> > them ACHE like you won't belive. My ankles also get weak fast and I have
> > to takle ym skates off sometimes just to rest my feet.
> >
> > They're not durable either if you want to do any jumping. Mine
> > aren't holding up very well from all the street stuff I do.
>
> Just out of curiousity, did you buy them, not understanding what kind of
> skating you preferred, or did someone give them to you?

I bought mine because they were the only ones in the store that fit.
What is it with this sizing shit? I ended up with size *15*.
I wear 13 shoes....

I'm typing slow cause I have this splint on my right ring finger.
An unleashed frisky dog in Queens thought I looked FUN and I went
down semi-uncontrolled and in trying to aim for the wrist supports
I put odd stress on one finger and when I looked down it was bent
from the first knuckle about 30% off to the right. My brain said
WRONG and looked for the broken bone but there wasn't one - so I
bent it back and it went ::pop:: and was where it was supposed to
be.

Ended up in the ER feeling stupid but they said that I might
have torn the cartilage and getting an x-ray was smart.

So two questions: Anyone else have this happen? What should I
expect? And: Should I even care about the wood-shaving-like
pieces of plastic that that fucking dog made me shred off?
Any way to smooth it out without thinning the plastic even more?
Greg Parkinson
g...@panix.com

Luke

May 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/9/95
In article <napoleon.2...@ra.isisnet.com>
napo...@ra.isisnet.com (Napoleon) writes:

> I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
> experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
> info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)
>

> Napoleon

I have GL's and I think they're pretty cool. You should know that if
you get seriously into stairs and/or jumping, you'll have to get new
skates. I already see that coming on mine. If I had to do it again, I
think I would have gotten Lightnings. However, I use my skates a lot
for transportation, too. And for this the skates are great, especially
the ABT brake and the quick release straps.

paul rix

May 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/10/95
to Lu...@virginia.edu
Napolean, the only good part of bravoblades is the buckles and the low
price, also lightness, but like that other dude said, if decide to go
hardcore they suck. I had coolblades and they sucked for tricks , the
buckles broke and the wheels were for shit. i'd go for TRS's, good
price great for tricks; my best buy.

Joshua Clark

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95
Luke (Lu...@virginia.edu) wrote:
: In article <napoleon.2...@ra.isisnet.com>
: napo...@ra.isisnet.com (Napoleon) writes:

: > I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
: > experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
: > info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)
: >
: > Napoleon

I've had my GLs since September and haven't had any problem with them as
far as durability. I learned how to skate on them and I think that
they're one of the best to learn on because of the ABT break thing.
After that however, it gets in the way (stairs, crossovers etc..) But
so far They're stood up to the beating I give them.

-Josh-

Michael Joseph Speca

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
>I've had my GLs since September and haven't had any problem with them as
>far as durability. I learned how to skate on them and I think that
>they're one of the best to learn on because of the ABT break thing.
>After that however, it gets in the way (stairs, crossovers etc..) But
>so far They're stood up to the beating I give them.
>
>-Josh-

I tried these on in a store and within 5 minutes both my ankles and my
friends were in pain. The interior-catch buckles (I don't think that's
the right term for them), in my opinion, are a bad idea, because you wind
up with a strap between your shell and liner, which tended to dig.

I have Macroblade ESs right now, and love them. I am flat footed and
find that the lace/buckle combination does wonders for holding up my
ankles and (once I get the right fit!) a Dr. Martin's arch support makes
a good replacement for the liner pad in the boot.

-Michael

--
mjs...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu

Crisp Daniel P

May 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/13/95
Napoleon (napo...@ra.isisnet.com) wrote:
: I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
: experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
: info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)

Hello. I've been running on Bravos for almost 6 months now and I have yet
to complain. They're nice blades overall. Pretty good for your buck.

Comin at ya live from Springfield, MO # God is a comic playing for an
Daniel Crisp dpc...@nic.smsu.edu # audience that's afraid to laugh.

Janet Wilson

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
I like mine, and think they are great beginner blades. I think I would like
more rockering options on my next pair, when I get much better, as I like
swooping and turning a lot. But my GL's are great and I really like the ABS
system, especially starting out.

Janet_...@mindlink.bc.ca

Bing Kao

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95
In article mjs...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Michael Joseph Speca) writes:

>I tried these on in a store and within 5 minutes both my ankles and my
>friends were in pain. The interior-catch buckles (I don't think that's
>the right term for them), in my opinion, are a bad idea, because you wind
>up with a strap between your shell and liner, which tended to dig.
>
>-Michael

I've had my GL's for a year, and I haven't had any problems at
all. Of course, I'm not flat-footed either. They seem to hold up for
hockey and just general neighborhood blading. The inside liner is
very comfortable -- I don't feel the strap at all. Maybe it's because
I've had the pair for so long that I never really noticed it.
I learned to skate on my pair of GL's and I would recommend it
because of the ABT brakes. But, after you learn how to stop, you might
want to remove the brake since it tends to get in the way.

-- Bing

--
W. Bing Kao
25352 Georgia Tech Station

Lineskater

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95
I absolutely love my Bravoblade GLX. I skate about 50 miles per week. I
don't do tricks, but I do play in-line hockey. They're a pain to turn if
you should want to use them for this purpose, but in-line hockey players
usually remove the brakes anyway, so I just use another pair of older
hopped-up skates. If you're just doing distance training, they can't be
beat.

matthe...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2018, 3:38:01 PM2/21/18
On Thursday, May 4, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Napoleon wrote:
> I am looking into buying a pair of Bravoblade GL's. Has anyone had any
> experience with them good or bad? I am completely new to this sport so ANY
> info thrown my way would be appreciated. :)
>
> Napoleon

Hi Napoleon,

I agree. Bravoblades are a great skate though I suspect there have been advances in sate technology by this point. I might also recommend looking into lightning TRS's or even Tarmac CE's if you're feeling saucy. Good luck!

Matt