Anyone like DBS brakes on Ultra Wheels vs Power Brakes on Oxygen blades?

Andrej Gombar

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Hello,

I just bust my pair of rollerblades and have decided that I want either
the Rollerblade Oxygen XE 1.1's or Ultra Wheels with DBS (Disc Brake
System).

Has anyone used DBS? It seems to me like it would only slow you down
instead of stopping quickly. Also, how long do the brakes
last...replacements are $15.

As for the Oxygens, they have a Power Braking System, which locks the back
wheel when braking. I was told that it didn't wear out the back wheel too
much, but I dunno...you know how stories differ.

Hope someone can help me so I can get blading as quick as possible!

Thanks,

Andrej

--
''~``
( o o )

WILLIAM C YU

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

Andrej Gombar (dr...@engsoc.carleton.ca) wrote:

: Has anyone used DBS? It seems to me like it would only slow you down

: instead of stopping quickly. Also, how long do the brakes
: last...replacements are $15.

Does not stop you very quickly. And if you set it real tight to get the
maximum stopping power (which is still like 1/3rd of a friction brake), it
eats away quick.

Bob Robbins

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Andrej Gombar <dr...@engsoc.carleton.ca> wrote in article
<50n5f3$r...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>...

> Has anyone used DBS? It seems to me like it would only slow you down
> instead of stopping quickly. Also, how long do the brakes
> last...replacements are $15.
>

> As for the Oxygens, they have a Power Braking System, which locks the
back
> wheel when braking. I was told that it didn't wear out the back wheel
too
> much, but I dunno...you know how stories differ.

My wife skates have DBS, and even though she only weighs 95 pounds, the
brake seems to wear out rather quickly.
If have Oxygen 3.1's. The power break is great. At 210 pounds I can stop
on a steep hill in a very short time, although wear on the back wheel is
tremendous.

Jim Omura

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

dr...@engsoc.carleton.ca (Andrej Gombar) wrote:

>I just bust my pair of rollerblades and have decided that I want either
>the Rollerblade Oxygen XE 1.1's or Ultra Wheels with DBS (Disc Brake
>System).

First, Oxygen is a different company from RollerBlade. They are
both big companies making high quality products.

>Has anyone used DBS? It seems to me like it would only slow you down
>instead of stopping quickly.

I converted my UltraWheels over to DBS around early summer and
I used a few different skates during the period. Out of all the "fancy"
brake systems (ABT's, DBS, Oxygen, Roces, Bauer, Cal Pro), so far I've
tried 3 different ABT's and the DBS. The latest DBS are *very* good.
They will bring you to a stop about as fast as an ordinary brake. I
don't know any way to test that accurately. But the advantage is that
over bad surfaces, they are a *smoother* brake, and that translates into
a *safer* brake.

Think about sidewalks. At the best of times you have these cracks
very 3 feet or so, and middle part of the slab can be cracked too. You
can have rises and falls from slab to slab of about 1/2" fairly commonly.
Asphalt can be like cracked up too, or you could hit a brick section.
A regular brake pad can grab suddenly on irregularities like this.
That sudden change can be enough to trip you. Also, on fresh asphalt,
you can have the brake grabbing and hopping causing a "chatter" effect.
The DBS gets rid of a lot of these grabbing and chattering problems.
You are less likely to fall using a DBS brake than most other brake
systems. I'd call that an advantage. Since you mention Oxygen, I
think their fancy brake system is called a "Power Brake"? It sounds
pretty good too. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds to me like
it might have a similar smoothing effect. People using the Roces
Tartuga (or whatever it's called?) seem to have more problems. It
sounds like they need to be more careful about adjustment. I can
see them being a problem over fairly ordinary bumps in old pavement.

> Also, how long do the brakes
>last...replacements are $15.

It depends. I actually don't use *any* brake that often. I
usually slow up my speed in slalom turns downhill. The place you
really need brakes seriously is on busy streets. In those cases it's
more often that you'll chose to be on a sidewalk, and that's where
the DBS is a good.

>As for the Oxygens, they have a Power Braking System, which locks the back
>wheel when braking. I was told that it didn't wear out the back wheel too
>much, but I dunno...you know how stories differ.

You can try using harder compound wheels in the back position.
That might help. But I think it's probably a lot to do with skating
style. Like I said, I don't really use brakes that much at all. But
I like having them when I need them.

the stupid one

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

>Has anyone used DBS? It seems to me like it would only slow you down
>instead of stopping quickly. Also, how long do the brakes
>last...replacements are $15.

I got a pair of Ultrawheels Milleniums, which come with DBS-XT
brakes. (DBS with adjustable height.) They made horrible screeching
noises. A friend with the same skates had a similar problem. The
people at Ultrawheels were very helpful and replaced the brake unit with
a regular DBS which solved the problem.
If you overtighten the drum (it doesn't take much), it will not
turn sometimes and will get a flat spot. This will make it more likely
to not turn, which will make the spot flatter quicker and you get into a
vicious cycle which eats the drum very quickly. I've been keeping my
latest drum pretty loose and it does not seem to be wearing much at all.
Keeping the drum loose does not affect braking power as much as you
might think - most of the braking force comes from putting your weight
on the drum, while tightening the drum only increases the part of the
friction which is always there no matter how much of your weight is on
the drum.

Warren Focke

Carlton

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Andrej Gombar wrote:

> Hello,

> I just bust my pair of rollerblades and have decided that I want either
> the Rollerblade Oxygen XE 1.1's or Ultra Wheels with DBS (Disc Brake
> System).
>
> Has anyone used DBS? It seems to me like it would only slow you down
> instead of stopping quickly. Also, how long do the brakes
> last...replacements are $15.
>
> As for the Oxygens, they have a Power Braking System, which locks the back
> wheel when braking. I was told that it didn't wear out the back wheel too
> much, but I dunno...you know how stories differ.
>
> Hope someone can help me so I can get blading as quick as possible!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrej
>
> --
> ''~``
> ( o o )
> +------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------------+
> | Andrej Gombar |
> | E-mail: dr...@engsoc.carleton.ca |
> | Carleton University http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~drej |
> | Ottawa, Canada ( ) |
> +---------------------\ (----( )--------------------------+
> \_) ) /
> (_/

Yo kid them brake systems are for fags kid. No true blader needs
DBS or ABS or whatever, STOP ON YOUR OWN.
--

Enter the land of SIN

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/2559

Much Luv, Carlton

Oliver Hertel

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

* sin...@philly.infi.net writes:

> > As for the Oxygens, they have a Power Braking System, which
> > locks the back wheel when braking. I was told that it didn't
> > wear out the back wheel too much, but I dunno...you know how
> > stories differ.
> >
> > Hope someone can help me so I can get blading as quick as
> > possible!

> Yo kid them brake systems are for fags kid. No true blader needs

> DBS or ABS or whatever, STOP ON YOUR OWN.

Blablabla. Not everyone is such an EXPERT as you in braking.

I habe the Oxygens, and I think, that Power Braking System is very
nice feature of that skates. :-)

The back wheel does wear out a little more, but you can neglect it.
--
Ciao, Oliver

Homepage: http://www.th-darmstadt.de/~st001183/
"Golden Key" Campaign: http://www.privacy.org/ipc/