Brake; L or R Foot?

b...@nilenet.com

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

I'm middle-aged, but new to inline skating. Just bought a pair of
rollerblades. The brake is on the right foot. I'm left handed and wonder
if I should switch the brake to the left foot. What's the best way to
determine which is my better braking foot?

Thanks for any input.

-BE

Reply to:
b...@nilenet.com
Boulder, CO USA

bee...@pipeline.com

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

if ur strong side is on the left, put it on ur left side ...

Jim Omura

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

In article <be-040796...@slip23.nilenet.com>, b...@nilenet.com wrote:
>I'm middle-aged, but new to inline skating. Just bought a pair of
>rollerblades. The brake is on the right foot. I'm left handed and wonder
>if I should switch the brake to the left foot. What's the best way to
>determine which is my better braking foot?

Oh now this is a fun question. The brake on the right foot is
supposed to be better for right handed people, and most likely if
you're left handed you should swap the brake over. But that's not
necessarily the end of the story. I'm right handed and yes, having
the brake on the right would feel more natural for me most of the time
but I found that I didn't like having it on the right foot. Also,
I found that I could skate without a brake if I wanted to anyway.
But I decided that I *did* like having a brake. So I swapped mine
to the left foot. Most of the time I don't use the brake, but it's
out of the way enough that I don't mind having it. But in emergencies
I can use the brake.

Another thing I can say about ABTs is that if you are going to
have more than 1 pair of skates with brakes, don't have some pairs
with ABTs and some without. In the case of an emergency you have to
be able to act by reflex and get it right. If you are used to ABTs
and you push your foot forward, and you aren't using an ABT system
at that moment, you won't slow down. In the worst case, you could
end up dead. Same thing goes for having the brake on some skates
but not on others, or having them on the left side on some pairs
but on the right side on other pairs.

Andy Aganad

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96
to b...@nilenet.com

b...@nilenet.com wrote:
> wonder
> if I should switch the brake to the left foot. What's the best way to
> determine which is my better braking foot?
>

> Reply to:
> b...@nilenet.com
> Boulder, CO USA

Without skates, stand in place on one leg. the leg that you can balance
on more easily and longer is your stronger leg and the one you should
use for braking because real hard braking you are almost balancing on the
one forward leg only.
.
.
.

Ray Amiro

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

b...@nilenet.com wrote:

> I'm middle-aged, but new to inline skating. Just bought a pair of
> rollerblades. The brake is on the right foot. I'm left handed and wonder

> if I should switch the brake to the left foot. What's the best way to
> determine which is my better braking foot?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> -BE
>
> Reply to:
> b...@nilenet.com
> Boulder, CO USA

In most casses its the leg that you would kick a socer ball with

Brendan
ram...@cyberus.ca

b...@nilenet.com

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Thanks to everyone who replied. The concensus is that the brake goes on
the stronger foot. Kicking a ball or balancing on one skate was the
recommended ways to determine this. I'll give it a try. thanks.

-BE
Barry Erdman
Boulder CO

Lee Fook Seung

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

jimo...@pathcom.com (Jim Omura) wrote:

>In article <be-040796...@slip23.nilenet.com>, b...@nilenet.com wrote:
>>I'm middle-aged, but new to inline skating. Just bought a pair of
>>rollerblades. The brake is on the right foot. I'm left handed and wonder
>>if I should switch the brake to the left foot. What's the best way to
>>determine which is my better braking foot?

its up to you, really. You could try skating a bit with the brake on
the right then swap and see which you prefer. It doesn't really
matter. Some left handers like it on the right and vise versa. I'm
right handed but i grind on my left. I'm weird
Lee Fook Seung
Team Deuce
doc...@pop.jaring.my
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/4334

4947C, Jalan Kenanga,
Klebang Besar,
75200 Melaka,
Malaysia

Grind hard, Grind fast

Rusty Allswede

Apr 21, 2021, 2:43:42 PM4/21/21
Coming from a snowboarder... run and slide in your socks.. one foot will be in front of the other naturally. The front foot is where I would put the break.