Insoles for skates

Joshua Eyre

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
What are the best insoles to buy for skates? Are there specialty
insoles designed for the constant pounding of a foot in an inline skate,
or should I just go down to the grocery store and buy some Dr. Scholls?
Thanks for any help.

Glen Bumgardner

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
I would recommend the kind of insoles with maximum arch support and
designed to be used in running shoes. Glen

Duncan Clarke

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Joshua Eyre wrote:

> What are the best insoles to buy for skates? Are there specialty
> insoles designed for the constant pounding of a foot in an inline skate,
> or should I just go down to the grocery store and buy some Dr. Scholls?

If you can find them, try Sorbothane. I know they are available in the
UK, but I have no idea about anywhere else.

--
Duncan Clarke --> Inline skating & Air Cooled VW's
http://inlineskate.co.uk - http://bugrunners.co.uk

Weese

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <393E9215...@localhost.localdomain>,

rep...@skater.uklinux.net wrote:
> Joshua Eyre wrote:
> >
> > What are the best insoles to buy for skates? Are there specialty
> > insoles designed for the constant pounding of a foot in an inline
skate,
> > or should I just go down to the grocery store and buy some Dr.
Scholls?

> If you can find them, try Sorbothane. I know they are available in
the
> UK, but I have no idea about anywhere else.

Just curious, are the Sorbothane really that good?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wayne Menzie

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
weese...@my-deja.com (Weese) wrote in <8hn9gt$7us$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>:

>Just curious, are the Sorbothane really that good?

For pure shock-absorbing capability, they are phenomenal. You can take a
chunk of the material, put it on your hand and whack away with a hammer
without feeling anything more than some slight pressure.

For insoles, they don't always work out well. You want cushioning first,
shock absorbtion second. I've found that the Spenco POLYSORB replacement
insoles feel the best for me.

--
Wayne Menzie

Duncan Clarke

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Weese wrote:

> Just curious, are the Sorbothane really that good?

I have them in all of my skates, except for my ST90's. They make a HUGE
difference, as they are not only comfortable and soft, but they also
absorb huge shocks. They can make the roughest surface feel like you
are riding in air.

I feel like I should be getting commission.

--
Duncan Clarke --> Inline skating & Air Cooled VW's
http://inlineskate.co.uk - http://bugrunners.co.uk
--

vert - kernel: 2.2.14 - uptime: 30 min - SETI work units: 651

Weese

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
In article <39403D8F...@localhost.localdomain>,

rep...@skater.uklinux.net wrote:
> Weese wrote:
> >
> > Just curious, are the Sorbothane really that good?
>
> I have them in all of my skates, except for my ST90's. They make a
HUGE
> difference, as they are not only comfortable and soft, but they also
> absorb huge shocks. They can make the roughest surface feel like you
> are riding in air.
>
> I feel like I should be getting commission.

Heheh. I'll ask the salesperson to mail you your cheque. ;-)

I'll look at the pharmacist to see if I can get Sorbothane over here.
Hope it isn't too expensive.

Brodie

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Constant pounding on inlines?? (eek! I thought it was low impact)
Are we talking aggressive or rec/fitness/hockey?

Yes, there are insoles marketed for inline skates.
A major player: SuperFeet. I like them, but I have
the green....hmm, hiking or running. One thing you
need to check is if the insole will fit in your liner,
esp at the heel. Skate are narrower here than shoes
and not all insoles will work. The SuperFeet don't
offer as much cushioning, but they do support your foot
well.

I would caution against Sorbs or Spenco in slalom,
hockey, or for anyone who like exacting control over their
edges. These materials can adversely affect your skating
ability by introducing so much skoosh (play and damping),
so give them a test run or put them through
your bevy of test moves to see if they will alter your
style or ability.

However, if you do aggressive, go with the Spenco or Sorb,
because of the cushion. I am sure your feet will thank you.
(Though, do the whole test run thing as well and note
the dulling of feel, if any.)

-Brodie

Ed Mackey

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
It looks like they are available here also. I found 2 web pages that
advertise Sorbothane insoles.

http://www.sorbothane-spectrum.com/
http://www.footamerica.com/footamerica/sorshoin.html

Bill Young

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
Sorbothane insoles are possibly not the best for skating, since they're
essentially designed to absorb shocks when walking. Skaters are more
likely to need insoles for support, rather than shock absorbtion. Better
bets would be Superfeet or Conformable footbeds, which are designed to
cradle and support the feet. Conformable make a model specifically for
skating - I have them in both in-line and ice skates - and some models
can be heat-moulded to the shape of the feet. This may also be the case
with Superfeet. Round here, both makes are widely available from ski and
outdoors shops.

Bill

Ed Mackey <e4700pe...@us.ibm.com.invalid> wrote in message

Bill Young

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00

Barry Ward <b...@powerup.com.au> wrote in message
> The inside part (insoles?) of my skates are completely flat and I am
finding
> that when skating on a flat skating rink and trying to improve my
balance
> by 1 legged skating, etc -- I am tending to skate on the inner edges
thus
> not giving me good balance. Trying to force myself to skate completely
on
> the middle edge is proving difficult. Are there any "shaped" insoles
which
> would support my feet arches and "force" my legs more upright and
hence
> skate more on the middle edge.
>
> Barry

For a start, try a pair of the shaped insoles for running shoes (cheap
from any sports shop). That might be all you need, rather than the much
more expensive Superfeet or Conformable footbeds.

Bill

Barry Ward

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00

Bill Young <w.y...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Sorbothane insoles are possibly not the best for skating, since they're
> essentially designed to absorb shocks when walking. Skaters are more
> likely to need insoles for support, rather than shock absorbtion. Better
> bets would be Superfeet or Conformable footbeds, which are designed to
> cradle and support the feet. Conformable make a model specifically for
> skating - I have them in both in-line and ice skates - and some models
> can be heat-moulded to the shape of the feet. This may also be the case
> with Superfeet. Round here, both makes are widely available from ski and
> outdoors shops.

The inside part (insoles?) of my skates are completely flat and I am finding

Duncan Clarke

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Bill Young wrote:

> Sorbothane insoles are possibly not the best for skating, since they're
> essentially designed to absorb shocks when walking. Skaters are more
> likely to need insoles for support, rather than shock absorbtion.

It depends on the style of skating and the surface you are skating on.
I would advise anyone into big gaps and rough surfaces (with hard
wheels) to use Sorbothane. They make the biggest drops seem like
stepping off a kerb.

--
Duncan Clarke --> Inline skating & Air Cooled VW's
http://inlineskate.co.uk - http://bugrunners.co.uk
--

vert - kernel: 2.2.14 - uptime: 3 days 11:10 - SETI work units: 734

John Revenboer

Sep 13, 2021, 9:06:18 PM9/13/21
I have had very good success with Tri balance insoles from Walgreens. They sure due help with balance.