Rollerblade "Lightning 05"-- good design? durable?

Stan

Apr 6, 2002, 4:52:02 PM4/6/02

[To contact me, change left com to yahoo]

How are the 2002 Rollerblade "Lightning 05" skates? Good,
durable construction? Any problems with the shell, frame, or
closures? Overpriced for the materials, workmanship & design?
[They cost $249 at various websites.]

Thanks,

Stan
[To contact me, change left com to yahoo]

Bob Cardone

Apr 6, 2002, 9:52:59 PM4/6/02
iv...@com.com (Stan) wrote:

I don't think anyone has bought a pair yet. We are waiting for the
first "buyer" to give us a report. Last year I Beta Testing a pair of
Core Carbons. I am going to let someone else have the "pleasure "
this year ;)

I am really curious as to the length of time one can skate on them
before having to replace the wheels, due to the frame design. Doesn't
seem like anyone can predict that, so far.

Bob

daveparc

Apr 7, 2002, 1:59:55 AM4/7/02
They should have called them Lightning low riders. When the wheels
get small enough you will be able to get some serious sparks flying.

Dave
CDS Detroit

Bob Cardone

Apr 7, 2002, 10:01:35 AM4/7/02
They made a brake stopper years ago that has some material in it that
would generate sparks when you applied the brake, for a visual effect.

If we are correct about the frame, that might make a nice accessory to
this skate :)

Bob

Bob Cardone

Apr 7, 2002, 11:02:11 AM4/7/02
By the way, has anyone seen these skates at any of the Rollerblade
Dealers? The dealer in my town said they were supposed to receive
theirs weeks ago. They are supposed to be " in shipment" for more
than 2 weeks. I wonder if they are holding them back due to some
issue with the skates?

Bob

Jim A

Apr 7, 2002, 12:42:33 PM4/7/02
they were in texas in early feb..

Motorblade

Apr 7, 2002, 12:44:56 PM4/7/02
>they were in texas in early feb..

Where?

"fritz"
<A
HREF="http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-05-11/xtra_featu
re4.html">The Austin Chronicle Features: A Life on Wheels</A>
www.motorblade.com
Birdy(Parker), Brazil(Gilliam),and Brewster McCloud(Altman)

Edward Dike, III

Apr 7, 2002, 1:07:08 PM4/7/02
Reading the recent posts, and between the lines about this skate has been
interesting, and perhaps revealing about the company behind them.
Personally, I took little notice until the "everything you need to know
about rb lightning 5" post which essentially said nothing, but did it in a
very poor way:
Boiler plate ad copy/ marketing hype, with spelling, and punctuation errors
throughout, presenting itself as something of an official Rollerblade
statement, posted from a hotmail address.
Hmm...

I recall those sparking brakes-at least the ads- I never actually saw one.
Possibly the attachment some welding torch flints to the side rails would
produce an interesting effect... Maybe they'll wait and release these things
about June 30. That way, after a few days of skating,and wearing down the
wheels, you can put on your own fireworks display on the 4th of July.
Probably a better name, anyway: "Sparkler 4th"
Regards,
ED3

Bob Cardone <cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote in message

Jim A

Apr 7, 2002, 1:43:50 PM4/7/02
I believe i saw them at a Sun and Ski up in Dallas area...they were 249...it
was the first week or 2 of feb when i was back in town to coach..

Bob Cardone

Apr 7, 2002, 6:30:21 PM4/7/02
chea...@aol.comdangler (Jim A) wrote:

>they were in texas in early feb..

Cheapskate,

Why not do us all a favor and leave the comment that you are replying
to in your response so we know what you are talking about.

This will stop responses such as :

"Yes, I do"

"No , that isn't true"

"She said that is the reason why"

"I don't think you are right"

"They were in Texas early in february"

etc...etc.....

Bob Cardone

Apr 7, 2002, 6:31:21 PM4/7/02
motor...@aol.comnohype (Motorblade) wrote:

>Where?

Under the boardwalk...... la la la

Under the boardwalk la la la

:)

Bob Cardone

Apr 7, 2002, 6:32:47 PM4/7/02
"Edward Dike, III" <edd3R...@qwest.net> wrote:

>Reading the recent posts, and between the lines about this skate has been
>interesting, and perhaps revealing about the company behind them.
>Personally, I took little notice until the "everything you need to know
>about rb lightning 5" post which essentially said nothing, but did it in a
>very poor way:
>Boiler plate ad copy/ marketing hype, with spelling, and punctuation errors
>throughout, presenting itself as something of an official Rollerblade
>statement, posted from a hotmail address.
>Hmm...

That's for sure

Bob

Jim A

Apr 7, 2002, 7:47:46 PM4/7/02
Cheapskate,>Why not do us all a favor and leave the comment that you are
replying
>to in your response so we know what you are talking about

I think you're an ass Bob,

but onto my original post..i was replying to Fritz's comment as to where they
were I had seen them..either way i think since it was on topic..its pretty easy
to follow>

kevin j laber

Apr 7, 2002, 7:56:24 PM4/7/02
the point of my post was to take a quick moment to clear up issues on
wheel prices, and give you the features and the benefits of the
lightning 5, that were not clear on some of the posts. I hope you all
find the Lightning 5 a great skate, once you are able to leave some of
your own experiences once you skate it.
kevin laber
kevin...@rollerblade.com

Bob Cardone

Apr 7, 2002, 8:06:21 PM4/7/02
chea...@aol.comdangler (Jim A) wrote:

Feeling is mutual, putz.

Bob

Sk8man

Apr 8, 2002, 5:15:30 PM4/8/02
We've had the skates in our shop since mid March. If someone took the time
to actually look at the frame on the Lightning 05, 07 and 09, you would see
that it says "minimum size wheel 78mm".
--
Greg Wagner
Owner

daveparc

Apr 8, 2002, 11:44:07 PM4/8/02
> that it says "minimum size wheel 78mm".

That would be a problem for me since I keep my wheels until they are
down to 76mm. I bet I would be getting some good sparks flying with
the 07 and 09 frames.

Stan

Apr 9, 2002, 12:20:17 AM4/9/02
"Sk8man" <sk8m...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3cb20...@newsa.ev1.net>...
> We've had the skates in our shop since mid March. If someone took the time
> to actually look at the frame on the Lightning 05, 07 and 09, you would see
> that it says "minimum size wheel 78mm".

Greg,

And I suppose that if the wheels wear to something less than 78 mm the
sparks start to fly-- Yes? Could those metal sections dropping toward
the ground be filed down a bit so that wheel wear doesn't become a
worry?
Are those metal extenders dangerous if they hit the ground? Would one
of these hitting or scraping along the ground cause a spill?
[I'm also asking what the purpose of those metal extenders is. Are
they there really only for a decoration of sorts or do they do
something important?] [I've only seen these skates at one or two
websites.]

Thanks,

Stan

Bob Cardone

Apr 9, 2002, 6:35:29 AM4/9/02
dave...@yahoo.com (daveparc) wrote:

>> that it says "minimum size wheel 78mm".
>
>That would be a problem for me since I keep my wheels until they are
>down to 76mm. I bet I would be getting some good sparks flying with
>the 07 and 09 frames.

You are in for big trouble. You will see that the rath of the
Rollerblade Reps will rain down upon you for making derogatory
remarks about sparks and scraping and such. How dare you?.. LOL

Bob

Bob Cardone

Apr 9, 2002, 6:38:53 AM4/9/02
iv...@yahoo.com (Stan) wrote:

Those projections on the bottom of the frame are apparently a
structural part of the frame itself. Filing them down would probably
affect the frame integrity. Would the metal hitting the ground cause a
spill? I would think that the possibility is pretty good, especially
if the ground is a slight bit uneven. That is probably why the
literature that comes with the skates states that they should not be
used over a "rough surface "

Bob