Fastest All Black / Jeff Wilson

mj...@waikato.ac.nz

Nov 24, 1993, 5:59:36 AM11/24/93
A question, who is the fastest All Black. From post to post I heard "Goldy"
ie Jeff Wilson and John Timu were the fastest at the All Black trials. If so
what about Eric Rush? I thought he'd be the quickest.

I also was thinking that Jeff Wilson will probably get a load of league offers
over the next few years. He's quick, big, strong, confident can kick as well
as tackle (I think hasn't had to do alot of it playing in UK). I believe
he has better attributes than Mathew Ridge had when he was an All Black and
look how well he did. In a few years after he's played a few tests and picked
up a world cup winners medal (I hope)don't be surprised if he changes to
league for a huge sum, making him a triple international. Though this also
depends on whether he wants to further his cricket career. His Southland
under 16 basketball coach reckons he would have made the national basketball
team if he stuck to that. Obviously a lad of exceptional alround sporting
talent,
Mike(In Ranfurly shield country (Don't forget it Aukland) and wing for
the Waikato University "Commitments XV")

Benjamin Clegg

Nov 24, 1993, 7:26:25 AM11/24/93
During the commentary for the international last Saturday they said that
Wilson had been quickest of all the All Black players during their
pre-tour testing.

Cheers,

Ben

C M Brough

Nov 24, 1993, 7:01:47 AM11/24/93
In article <1993Nov24.2...@waikato.ac.nz>, mj...@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> A question, who is the fastest All Black. From post to post I heard "Goldy"
> ie Jeff Wilson and John Timu were the fastest at the All Black trials. If so
> what about Eric Rush? I thought he'd be the quickest.

In the commentaries on the UK games, Bill McLaren has on a number of
occasions mentioned that Jeff Wilson was quickest at the All Black
trials before the tour.

Colin Brough c...@epcc.ed.ac.uk Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre

pe...@waikato.ac.nz

Nov 24, 1993, 4:05:25 PM11/24/93
In article mj...@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> A question, who is the fastest All Black. From post to post I heard "Goldy"
> ie Jeff Wilson and John Timu were the fastest at the All Black trials. If so
> what about Eric Rush? I thought he'd be the quickest.

It depends what you mean by quickest. Over 10m, 20m, 50m, etc.
At the All Black trials they conducted fitness and speed tests. The fastest
over the length of the field (ie. 100m) was Richard Jerram. For anyone who
doesn't know who he is, Jerram is the Waikato blindside flanker/lock and was
one of the unlucky players to miss out on the All Black tour. I don't think
Wilson is that quick and for these reason is probably more suited to fullback.
I'd say it's a toss up between Rush and Ellis.

Paul

mj...@waikato.ac.nz

Nov 24, 1993, 11:36:05 PM11/24/93

Regarding All Black Speed Paul writes

>It depends what you mean by quickest. Over 10m, 20m, 50m, etc.

I said post to post (100m) Though speed over 30-40 m is more relevant to
backs in rugby

>At the All Black trials they conducted fitness and speed tests. The fastest
>over the length of the field (ie. 100m) was Richard Jerram. For anyone who
>doesn't know who he is, Jerram is the Waikato blindside flanker/lock and was
>one of the unlucky players to miss out on the All Black tour.

You must be joking. Jerram is a good flanker but theres no way he's quicker
than Wilson, Timu, Ellis or Rush over 100m. A flanker has to be alot fitter
(aerobic wise) than a wing and the more you train for aerobic fitness the
slower you become. The backs would do alot more sprint training as well
because of the specifics of their position. I remember a while ago Robin Brook
informing a journalist that he could run 100m in 10.5s, the journalist actually
believed him. A fellow All Black (don't know who) when told this could hardly
control himself he was laughing so much. So don't believe everything you here.

> I don't think Wilson is that quick and for these reason is probably more
> suited to fullback. I'd say it's a toss up between Rush and Ellis.

Did you not see Wilsons last try, when he cut inside Forster, swerved and
accelerated away. That was pure pace, awesome explosive acceleration. I doubt
no other All Black would have scored that try. Anyway what about Timu he'd be
quicker than Ellis.

Mike

pe...@waikato.ac.nz

Nov 25, 1993, 2:41:54 PM11/25/93
In article mj...@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>>I wrote:
>>At the All Black trials they conducted fitness and speed tests. The fastest
>>over the length of the field (ie. 100m) was Richard Jerram. For anyone who
>>doesn't know who he is, Jerram is the Waikato blindside flanker/lock and was
>>one of the unlucky players to miss out on the All Black tour.
>
> You must be joking. Jerram is a good flanker but theres no way he's quicker
> than Wilson, Timu, Ellis or Rush over 100m. A flanker has to be alot fitter
> (aerobic wise) than a wing and the more you train for aerobic fitness the
> slower you become. The backs would do alot more sprint training as well
> because of the specifics of their position. I remember a while ago Robin
> Brooke informing a journalist that he could run 100m in 10.5s, the journalist

> actually believed him. A fellow All Black (don't know who) when told this
> could hardly control himself he was laughing so much. So don't believe
> everything you here.

Believe what you like but that was the truth. If you watched Moro Sports Extra
at that time there was an article concerning this. In fact no one could
believe his time so they tested him again. Why should that be such a surprise.
I remember watching a Waikato-Canterbury game a few years ago when lock Mike
Speight caught winger Joe Leota from behind. Leota was a past NZ sprint
champion.

>> I don't think Wilson is that quick and for these reason is probably more
>> suited to fullback. I'd say it's a toss up between Rush and Ellis.
>
> Did you not see Wilsons last try, when he cut inside Forster, swerved and
> accelerated away. That was pure pace, awesome explosive acceleration.
> I doubt no other All Black would have scored that try. Anyway what about
> Timu he'd be quicker than Ellis.

But who did he beat? A converted winger in Hastings and a slow flanker
(McIvor). Sure it was a great try but Wilson isn't quick when compared to other
international wingers. As far as explosive acceleration Ellis, Rush and Bachop
would be the quickest in the ABs. I'd also say that Ellis is quicker than Timu.
Timu seems to have lost speed from when he burst into the scene.

Paul

Chris Sully

Nov 25, 1993, 12:33:40 PM11/25/93

|> I'd say it's a toss up between Rush and Ellis.
|>
|> Paul

If Rush is the fastest in the NZ team it just goes to show pace isn't that
important as Rush isn't fast: several times I've seen him easily run down by
Welsh and English wingers.

Chris.