bruised radial nerve -> dead hand?

brooks

Jun 12, 2002, 1:59:05 AM6/12/02

Hey, I had something really wierd happen to me last week: I woke up, and
my arm felt tingly like it was asleep. Nothing too wierd. Except it
didn't wake up. The back of my forearm is slightly numb, the back of my
thumb is numb, and I can't extend my fingers, thumb, or wrist.
Disconcerting, to say the least! I went to the doctor that evening, and
it was his believe I bruised my radial nerve, and that there wasn't
anmything I could really do about it-it would just take time to heal
(anywhere from a day or two, to 2-3 weeks (!)). He game me some
prednisone to reduce the inflamation, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
I have no visible bruising, I didn't get hit in the head or anything, the
only severe activity I performed the previous day was lugging a hundred
pounds or so of groceries home. So I could see if i stretched it or
something..

Anyway, it's been a week and im in the same one handed typing ass mode,
and I'm a little concerned - I'm just as broken (rather, "non-
functional") now as I was a week ago. (you should have seen the triage
dude when I told him "Yeah, I need to see a doctor." .. "My hand and
wrist here, they are non-functional" .. "Non functional. see? they dont
work. I cant move my hand. Non functional. ":)

Has this happened to anyone? How long did it take to heal? the doc I went
to said that tylonol & advil wouldn't help - but it seems like those are
anti-inflamitories, too..?

Any chance of this being less transitory & more permanent? I'm a computer
guy, and I can harldy type for shit because only my right hand works, & I
don;t knot if I could handle a year of this!!

any advice GREASTLY appriciated! many TIA!
Brooks

Repeating Decimal

Jun 12, 2002, 2:42:16 PM6/12/02
in article MPG.177082d75...@netnews.attbi.com, brooks at
bro...@frii.com wrote on 6/11/02 10:59 PM:

> Hey, I had something really wierd happen to me last week: I woke up, and
> my arm felt tingly like it was asleep. Nothing too wierd. Except it
> didn't wake up. The back of my forearm is slightly numb, the back of my
> thumb is numb, and I can't extend my fingers, thumb, or wrist.
> Disconcerting, to say the least! I went to the doctor that evening, and
> it was his believe I bruised my radial nerve, and that there wasn't
> anmything I could really do about it-it would just take time to heal
> (anywhere from a day or two, to 2-3 weeks (!)). He game me some
> prednisone to reduce the inflamation, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
> I have no visible bruising, I didn't get hit in the head or anything, the
> only severe activity I performed the previous day was lugging a hundred
> pounds or so of groceries home. So I could see if i stretched it or
> something..

First of all, let me point out that I am not an expert on this subject.
Please do not take any action based upon my nonprofessional opinion.

First of all, you may want to see a neurologist. I have had similar things
happen to me with respect to the ulnar nerve. If you cannot move you pinky,
then there may be problems with your ulnar nerve as well as the radial
nerve. If it were me, I certainly would waqnt to have a neurologist look me
over.

If it is only radial n damage, then there should be a rather sharp
demarcation at the middle of the ring finger. That is where the ulnar n
takes over.

Bill