Springbok Jersey

1 view

McLEZ 21

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Hi

I noticed the other week that during and before the 95 RWC the Springbok on the
SA jersey was leeping intowards the center or the jersey but now it leeps
towards the outside of the jersey.
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant reason for this change?

Leslie

an...@eskom.co.za

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99

McLEZ 21 <mcl...@aol.com> wrote in message
The change happened directly after WC95 when there was an attempt by the
National Sports COuncil of SA to kill the Springbok as an emblem. AFter
some negotiations and inteventions (possibly a bribe or two) this new emblem
was decided on, incorporating the Protea which is our national sport emblem.

Matthew Page

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
I may be Australian, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you guys have
been mightily pissed off if the Springbok had been removed from your
national jersey?

Matt.

an...@eskom.co.za

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

Matthew Page <m.p...@student.unsw.edu.au.nospam> wrote in message

> I may be Australian, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you guys
have
> been mightily pissed off if the Springbok had been removed from your
> national jersey?

It may well have been war all over again. This is why the government agreed
to the compromise. That and the fact that Nelson Mandela made a plea to
keep the Springbok. Of course, rugby is the only sport in SA that still
uses the Springbok. All the other sport team use the protea.

Matthew Page

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
Hmmmm. Well I personally thought that was one emblem that would die just
about right after the silver fern of New Zealand did..... I'm glad it is
still there. It really wouldn't make sense to call a national team the
Springboks, and have a different emblem. Good on Mandela for publicly
sticking up for it in the face of burecrats or whichever stupid sector of
society was going to be to blame for destroying that tradition.

Matt.

an...@eskom.co.za

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

> Hmmmm. Well I personally thought that was one emblem that would die just
> about right after the silver fern of New Zealand did..... I'm glad it is
> still there. It really wouldn't make sense to call a national team the
> Springboks, and have a different emblem. Good on Mandela for publicly
> sticking up for it in the face of burecrats or whichever stupid sector of
> society was going to be to blame for destroying that tradition.

Yeah, I for one got a heck of a lot of respect for Mandela when he did. In
my mind the Springbok emblem was a very good example of scratching where it
wasn't itching. We have thos body in SA, the National Sports Council. led
by a certain Sam Ramsamy. From time to time all goes well in trhe sports
world, Mr Ramsamy and buddies get bored and then they attack the Springbok
emblem. We have the silly situation in cricket that some people call our
team the Proteas as they wear a protea as an emblem, but lots of people
still call them Springboks. Fortunately the name "Springbok" was never as
big in cricket as it was in rugby.

Me.

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99

> Yeah, I for one got a heck of a lot of respect for Mandela when he did.
In
> my mind the Springbok emblem was a very good example of scratching where
it
> wasn't itching. We have thos body in SA, the National Sports Council. led
> by a certain Sam Ramsamy. From time to time all goes well in trhe sports
> world, Mr Ramsamy and buddies get bored and then they attack the Springbok
> emblem. We have the silly situation in cricket that some people call our
> team the Proteas as they wear a protea as an emblem, but lots of people
> still call them Springboks. Fortunately the name "Springbok" was never as
> big in cricket as it was in rugby.

But I reckon the name 'springbok' will always be used , no matter
what emblem they choose, but I too hope that the Springbok remains.
Another example is SAA, the old 'Flying Springbok' has gone from the
orange clad tails of SAA's aircraft, and they heve been replaced by
a striking and modern colorscheme (not bad at all) but all over the world
airports and air traffic controllers still the flight code Springbok xxx
(Springbok 240 would be flight number SA240).

I have a whole stash of SA jerseys here and I wear them with pride when I go
a pub in Amsterdam to meet up with other SAfricans when the bokke play, I
hope
they leave our springbok alone.

Mark

Mees Roelofs

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
an...@eskom.co.za wrote:

>Yeah, I for one got a heck of a lot of respect for Mandela when he did. In
>my mind the Springbok emblem was a very good example of scratching where it
>wasn't itching. We have thos body in SA, the National Sports Council. led
>by a certain Sam Ramsamy. From time to time all goes well in trhe sports
>world, Mr Ramsamy and buddies get bored and then they attack the Springbok
>emblem. We have the silly situation in cricket that some people call our
>team the Proteas as they wear a protea as an emblem, but lots of people
>still call them Springboks. Fortunately the name "Springbok" was never as
>big in cricket as it was in rugby.

To me, nickname (Spring)boks is referring to any South African
national team. The hockeyers are often referred to as Springboks, as
well as the cricketers. An exception to this is of course Bafana
Bafana, the national soccer team.

Somehow it will have something to do with white sports team,
affiliating themselves to the Bok. The bok doesn't need to be in the
team emblem for that.

Like the dark green color, I suppose the name was taken from the first
few national Rugby teams. AFAIK, these teams made SA's very first
great sporting achievements and other teams seemed happy to follow.

Mees Roelofs
Planet Pino * http://pino.faithweb.com
To reply replace BloodySpammers with Pino in address

Plato: To be is to do
Nietsche: To do is to be
Sinatra: Doo-be-doo

an...@eskom.co.za

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99

Me. <ma...@nl.gxn.netNOSPAM> wrote in message

> > Yeah, I for one got a heck of a lot of respect for Mandela when he did.
> In
> > my mind the Springbok emblem was a very good example of scratching where
> it
> > wasn't itching. We have thos body in SA, the National Sports Council.
led
> > by a certain Sam Ramsamy. From time to time all goes well in trhe
sports
> > world, Mr Ramsamy and buddies get bored and then they attack the
Springbok
> > emblem. We have the silly situation in cricket that some people call
our
> > team the Proteas as they wear a protea as an emblem, but lots of people
> > still call them Springboks. Fortunately the name "Springbok" was never
as
> > big in cricket as it was in rugby.
>

> But I reckon the name 'springbok' will always be used , no matter
> what emblem they choose, but I too hope that the Springbok remains.
> Another example is SAA, the old 'Flying Springbok' has gone from the
> orange clad tails of SAA's aircraft, and they heve been replaced by
> a striking and modern colorscheme (not bad at all) but all over the world
> airports and air traffic controllers still the flight code Springbok xxx
> (Springbok 240 would be flight number SA240).
>
> I have a whole stash of SA jerseys here and I wear them with pride when I
go
> a pub in Amsterdam to meet up with other SAfricans when the bokke play, I
> hope
> they leave our springbok alone.

It seems that the name Springbok and the emblem will stay in rugby, but
probably rugby only. It doesn't really matter as the Springbok has always
been that of the rugby body of SA. The other sporting bodies had to get
permission to use it. I have noted that people are starting to refer to the
cricket team as Proteas.

an...@eskom.co.za

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99

Mees Roelofs <roe...@BloodySpammers.faithweb.com> wrote in message

> an...@eskom.co.za wrote:
>
> >Yeah, I for one got a heck of a lot of respect for Mandela when he did.
In
> >my mind the Springbok emblem was a very good example of scratching where
it
> >wasn't itching. We have thos body in SA, the National Sports Council.
led
> >by a certain Sam Ramsamy. From time to time all goes well in trhe sports
> >world, Mr Ramsamy and buddies get bored and then they attack the
Springbok
> >emblem. We have the silly situation in cricket that some people call our
> >team the Proteas as they wear a protea as an emblem, but lots of people
> >still call them Springboks. Fortunately the name "Springbok" was never
as
> >big in cricket as it was in rugby.
>
> To me, nickname (Spring)boks is referring to any South African
> national team. The hockeyers are often referred to as Springboks, as
> well as the cricketers. An exception to this is of course Bafana
> Bafana, the national soccer team.

Nope, that may be the perception but it is not correct. Not anymore anyway.
The cricketers are already refered to as Proteas by the majority of people
inside ant outside SA. You will notice that the Springbok have disappeared
as emblem from all but the rugby team's outfits.

> Somehow it will have something to do with white sports team,
> affiliating themselves to the Bok. The bok doesn't need to be in the
> team emblem for that.

I am not sure what you mean by this Mees???

> Like the dark green color, I suppose the name was taken from the first
> few national Rugby teams. AFAIK, these teams made SA's very first
> great sporting achievements and other teams seemed happy to follow.

The name was actually given to the team by the first ever Captain of a SA
touring side to England. At that time the englisg press had the habit of
dishing out nicknames. When the SA captain was asked who they were he
quickly replied "we are the Springboks" fearing some name they didn't want.
The name stuck. In time the rugby controling body registered the emblem to
rugby and other sport had to apply to the rugby board to also use the
emblem. Many sports in SA never used the emblem, like angling for instance.

Mees Roelofs

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
an...@eskom.co.za wrote:

>> To me, nickname (Spring)boks is referring to any South African
>> national team. The hockeyers are often referred to as Springboks, as
>> well as the cricketers. An exception to this is of course Bafana
>> Bafana, the national soccer team.
>
>Nope, that may be the perception but it is not correct. Not anymore anyway.
>The cricketers are already refered to as Proteas by the majority of people
>inside ant outside SA. You will notice that the Springbok have disappeared
>as emblem from all but the rugby team's outfits.

Cricket seems to be successful in introducing the nickname proteas. In
other sports, one regularly hears or reads Springbok or Bok as an
adjective. It can be referring to a tennis player or a hockey player
as well. For instance, if I'd hear the expression 'The Bok striker' I
would say it's a hockey player and not be surprised that the
expression is being used.

This, in spite of the fact, that the Bok emblem wasn't necessarily
attached to that particular sport.

>> Like the dark green color, I suppose the name was taken from the first
>> few national Rugby teams. AFAIK, these teams made SA's very first
>> great sporting achievements and other teams seemed happy to follow.
>
>The name was actually given to the team by the first ever Captain of a SA
>touring side to England. At that time the englisg press had the habit of
>dishing out nicknames. When the SA captain was asked who they were he
>quickly replied "we are the Springboks" fearing some name they didn't want.
>The name stuck. In time the rugby controling body registered the emblem to
>rugby and other sport had to apply to the rugby board to also use the
>emblem. Many sports in SA never used the emblem, like angling for instance.

I'd suggest some kind of fish (braai?) for the SA Angling Board. A Bok
for the Angling board would be as idiot as a tennis racket for the
SARFU.

As for the story how the SAs became the Springboks, this is what 'The
Union Game' book says about it.

"The 1906 team arrived in the British Isles anxious to demonstrate how
Rugby in the colony had improved since the Boer War. They wanted to
prove themselves just as superior to the motherland as the All Blacks
had done a year earlier. Roos (the captain, MR) and his men had heard
how journalists had dubbed the 1905 New Zealanders the All Blacks and
were aghast that they might be similarly named after the colour of
their jerseys, which was myrtle green. The 'All Myrtles' was not
acceptable to the Rugby players of the High Veld, so they suggested to
journalists that they should be called the Springboks, after a type of
gazelle.

Roos, an Afrikaner and a teacher, informed one and all that it was a
Dutch word and the plural should technically be Springbokken.
Fortunately (damn Poms. Will they never respect another language? MR),
he was overruled and the Springboks were born. To emphasize the point,
badges depicting a Springbok were sewn on to their jerseys. They gave
the team a precious identity."

[The Union Game - A Rugby History, page 114. Comments in brackets by
me]

an...@eskom.co.za

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

> an...@eskom.co.za wrote:
>
> >> To me, nickname (Spring)boks is referring to any South African
> >> national team. The hockeyers are often referred to as Springboks, as
> >> well as the cricketers. An exception to this is of course Bafana
> >> Bafana, the national soccer team.
> >
> >Nope, that may be the perception but it is not correct. Not anymore
anyway.
> >The cricketers are already refered to as Proteas by the majority of
people
> >inside ant outside SA. You will notice that the Springbok have
disappeared
> >as emblem from all but the rugby team's outfits.
>
> Cricket seems to be successful in introducing the nickname proteas. In
> other sports, one regularly hears or reads Springbok or Bok as an
> adjective. It can be referring to a tennis player or a hockey player
> as well. For instance, if I'd hear the expression 'The Bok striker' I
> would say it's a hockey player and not be surprised that the
> expression is being used.

I am not sure about regularly Mees. Maybe in your neck of the woods. Over
here the name is definately dying out for all but the rugby team.

> This, in spite of the fact, that the Bok emblem wasn't necessarily
> attached to that particular sport.

Well, you mention cricket and hockey. In both cases the Springbok emblem
was attached to the sport. I think in SA, we are all trying to adapt to
the new names, mainly in the spirit of reconciliation.

> >> Like the dark green color, I suppose the name was taken from the first
> >> few national Rugby teams. AFAIK, these teams made SA's very first
> >> great sporting achievements and other teams seemed happy to follow.
> >
> >The name was actually given to the team by the first ever Captain of a SA
> >touring side to England. At that time the englisg press had the habit of
> >dishing out nicknames. When the SA captain was asked who they were he
> >quickly replied "we are the Springboks" fearing some name they didn't
want.
> >The name stuck. In time the rugby controling body registered the emblem
> >rugby and other sport had to apply to the rugby board to also use the
> >emblem. Many sports in SA never used the emblem, like angling for
instance.

> I'd suggest some kind of fish (braai?) for the SA Angling Board. A Bok
> for the Angling board would be as idiot as a tennis racket for the
> SARFU.

Why would the Springbok be silly for angling, but not for hockey, cricket or
tennis for that matter. Anyway, the angling's team's enblem had always been
the Protea, which is our national flower.

> As for the story how the SAs became the Springboks, this is what 'The
> Union Game' book says about it.
>
> "The 1906 team arrived in the British Isles anxious to demonstrate how
> Rugby in the colony had improved since the Boer War. They wanted to
> prove themselves just as superior to the motherland as the All Blacks
> had done a year earlier. Roos (the captain, MR) and his men had heard
> how journalists had dubbed the 1905 New Zealanders the All Blacks and
> were aghast that they might be similarly named after the colour of
> their jerseys, which was myrtle green. The 'All Myrtles' was not
> acceptable to the Rugby players of the High Veld, so they suggested to
> journalists that they should be called the Springboks, after a type of
> gazelle.
>
> Roos, an Afrikaner and a teacher, informed one and all that it was a
> Dutch word and the plural should technically be Springbokken.
> Fortunately (damn Poms. Will they never respect another language? MR),
> he was overruled and the Springboks were born. To emphasize the point,
> badges depicting a Springbok were sewn on to their jerseys. They gave
> the team a precious identity."

Yep, pretty much what I said.