European Sports Coverage - soccer & Rugby

1 view

mungbean

Nov 29, 2009, 9:30:02 PM11/29/09
After watching the French / AB's (Great result) I have say how impressed I
am with the tele coverage. Some of that photo / film work is amazing.

I love the camera on a track that follows the game / players, bloody good
coverage. Just goes to show how far ahead you guys are versus us downunder
in the back waters.

Just out of curiosity, when ever NH teams are being played in NZ what's your
view on our coverage? I know we aren't as biased as the Aussies but I'd be
keen on seeing how we do.

Cheers Mungbean

Michael

Nov 29, 2009, 11:05:09 PM11/29/09
"mungbean" <mu...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

They may have great angles and fancy slo-mo cameras, but the director should
learn when to use them. I found the French coverage very frustrating with
the amount of time play was live and we were stuck watching super slo-mo
shit or whatever. There seemed to be a lack of replays of the good plays
throughout the match that you tend to see with SH coverage too. Being a
soccer ground maybe they were unfamiliar with the timing of the breaks in
play.

Then again I might've just been grumpy having to get up at 5:30am in the
goddamn morning...damn you Frenchies for playing so late at night.

Ian Jennings

Nov 29, 2009, 11:16:05 PM11/29/09

I know, as a Saffer, I'm not quite what you're looking for, but I have
to say that there are no fairer commentators than the Kiwis. A high
quotient of generous appreciation for opponents and a low quotient of
"why didn't that dumb ref see how those foreign cunts are cheating our
innocent lads?"

Ian

timbochov

Nov 29, 2009, 11:35:44 PM11/29/09

As a kiwi I always though the Saffer TV commentators were reasonably
unbiased Australian are generally the worst and the Welsh whine and
fucking moan.

Thats of course, if you actually manage to get coverage here in the US
courteousy of those cunts from Setanta

Ian Jennings

Nov 29, 2009, 11:50:16 PM11/29/09

I find Saffer commentators pretty unbiased too, but then I would,
wouldn't I?

I did manage to see the Ireland game in a Setanta-franchised pub in
Hoboken, New Jersey, on Saturday. It wasn't a pleasant experience,
being the only Saffer amongst twenty serious Irishmen, watching my
team dish up the shite they did.

Mind you, it was probably better for me that they did dish up the
shite... I watched SA v Ireland in June 2004 in an Irish pub in
Berlin, again as the only Saffer in an Irish crowd, and the Boks'
winning caused me to be on the rough end of some unpleasantness from a
pissed party of Ulstermen. I had to get the hell out pretty smartly.
(I should add that I met some classy Irishmen, including one Ulsterman
in particular, in that pub over the years, so I don't have any reason
to think this incident was typically Irish).

But to return to Saturday's game, and to the negative - the Irish
commentary was ridiculously biased - I counted about fifteen moans
about the ref failing to penalise this, that, or some other evil on
the part of the Boks within the first half alone, with sweet fuckall
in the other direction. Plausible, right? You can see where SSB,
Klitty, and UD get their prejudices from - it's a relentless message
of "our boys good, them Africans evil" and, if that's the only
perspective you ever get, you'll think it's the truth.

Ian

Andrew Dunford

Nov 29, 2009, 11:59:29 PM11/29/09

"Michael" <quadhammerNO@SPICEDHAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

No, you make a good point.

Another problem with the coverage from Marseille was that on several
occasions they showed the play from such a wide far away angle that you
couldn't tell what was going on - a bit like the worst seats at Twickenham.

Andrew

Greig Blanchett

Nov 30, 2009, 12:20:57 AM11/30/09

It's not just you. I think they're pretty good too. Better than our
lot, anyway. Except for Naas Botha, but hey, we had Murray Mexted. You
got the better deal.

Just for the record, with our lot, Mexted was the "colour" person, but
really his comments were an embarrassment and he always came across as
sounding like a bit of a sleazebag. Very pro some SA teams, basically
the ones he played for, very anti-everybody else. He's been dropped a
bit by Sky for mouthing off about one of their "partners" - the NZRU.

Tony Johnstone (TJ) is as biased as an early Picasso. Very
knowledgeable but his allegiance to the ABs pretty much colours
everything he says. That's why he's down on the sideline these days.

Grant Nisbett (Nisbo) is the main commentator, and basically he tries
to keep the others in check but every now and then he gets all
excitable and turns into a bit of a fanboy, but usually recovers.
Usually.

Grant Fox (Foxy) is the colour / serious analyst commentator. Knows a
lot about a little, basically kicking. Not so hot on tackling,
defence, attack, set pieces, planned moves, forward play (gives up
completely when this is going on) etc. But when a kicker is lining up
a shot, he takes you right into their empty little heads. Fun for a
bit but in one of those modern kick-a-thon tests, it gets old real
fast.

New kid on the block is Justin Marshall (Meg) who surprisingly has
turned out to be pretty good. Knows his stuff, isn't too biased and
having been an ex-forward (NZ's fourth loose forward) for years as
well as a half back of some renown, is well clued up on most facets of
play. I was quite impressed.

--
greig

Andrew Dunford

Nov 30, 2009, 12:50:13 AM11/30/09

"Greig Blanchett" <gre...@nNzOrSfPu.AcMom> wrote in message

<snip>

> New kid on the block is Justin Marshall (Meg) who surprisingly has
> turned out to be pretty good. Knows his stuff, isn't too biased and
> having been an ex-forward (NZ's fourth loose forward) for years as
> well as a half back of some renown, is well clued up on most facets of
> play. I was quite impressed.

I'm giving Marshall nul points until he learns the difference between a post
and the crossbar.

Andrew

Greig Blanchett

Nov 30, 2009, 1:19:09 AM11/30/09

That's the forward in him. The post is that thing you run into, the
crossbar is that thing you run under.

--
greig

Massive Generalisation

Nov 30, 2009, 1:40:48 AM11/30/09
"Greig Blanchett" <gre...@nNzOrSfPu.AcMom> wrote in message

> New kid on the block is Justin Marshall (Meg) who surprisingly has

> turned out to be pretty good. Knows his stuff, isn't too biased and
> having been an ex-forward (NZ's fourth loose forward) for years as
> well as a half back of some renown, is well clued up on most facets of
> play. I was quite impressed.

Have to agree, France was the first I've seen him as a commentator and apart
from yelling into the microphone pre-match he did well.

mungbean

Nov 30, 2009, 1:49:24 AM11/30/09

"Michael" <quadhammerNO@SPICEDHAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "mungbean" <mu...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> After watching the French / AB's (Great result) I have say how impressed
>> I am with the tele coverage. Some of that photo / film work is amazing.
>>
>> I love the camera on a track that follows the game / players, bloody good
>> coverage. Just goes to show how far ahead you guys are versus us
>> downunder in the back waters.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, when ever NH teams are being played in NZ what's
>> your view on our coverage? I know we aren't as biased as the Aussies but
>> I'd be keen on seeing how we do.
>
> They may have great angles and fancy slo-mo cameras, but the director
> should learn when to use them. I found the French coverage very
> frustrating with the amount of time play was live and we were stuck
> watching super slo-mo shit or whatever. There seemed to be a lack of
> replays of the good plays throughout the match that you tend to see with
> SH coverage too. Being a soccer ground maybe they were unfamiliar with
> the timing of the breaks in play.

haha the French did very little to warrant seeing a replay let alone
multipal views LOL

mungbean

Nov 30, 2009, 1:51:43 AM11/30/09

"Andrew Dunford" <adun...@artifax.net> wrote in message

Move closer to your Telly Andrew or at least sit face on.

Plus it might be new technology and their still getting their heads around
it, unlike some of our post modern technology down here.

Luluwazazulu

Nov 30, 2009, 2:31:42 AM11/30/09

Its not just the great camera angles that make for good viewing
IMHO, the coverage lacked an overall vision. That is something that
you get from both SA and Nz where the directors seem to "understand"
the game better. Too often the NH directors have been trained to cover
soccer( football) and too often show the wide shot when its the up
close and personal view we really want to see.
I feel that the NZ coverage has better "anticipation" of where the
next action will be!
But then perhaps I am biased and others see it from a different
perspective.
Cheers
Lew

Brent Hadley

Nov 30, 2009, 2:44:06 AM11/30/09

Is the misspelling deliberate? Marshall managed to butcher the names
of most of the French team during the commentary (special mention for
his take on 'Jauzion').

But yeah he's surprisingly good otherwise.

Cheers

Brent

Brent Hadley

Nov 30, 2009, 2:50:48 AM11/30/09

I agree. It might be less spectacular, but I want to see what's going
on, and you're far less likely to miss a bit of the action through
poor direction if you watch a SH broadcast.

Cheers

Brent

mungbean

Nov 30, 2009, 3:41:04 AM11/30/09

"Brent Hadley" <the_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Cheers

Brent

I have nothing against our own coverage, I was more intersted to see how
others (NH) saw it. I'm happy with what we are getting. I was just impressed
with the technology aspects of the French coverage. Be interesting to see
how far it goes. Hopefully it will never get like the American Football that
is so highly sponsored you get 50 / 50 adverts with game time.

Andrew Dunford

Nov 30, 2009, 3:44:52 AM11/30/09

"Brent Hadley" <the_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Since it was a thread on European Sports Coverage I thought I'd do the
Eurovision Song Contest bit.

I admit Marshall was better than I anticipated, but my expectations were
very low.

Andrew

alvey

Nov 30, 2009, 3:50:22 AM11/30/09
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:35:44 -0800 (PST), timbochov wrote:

> As a kiwi I always though the Saffer TV commentators were reasonably

> unbiased Australian are generally the worst...<snip>

On the charge of bias I'd opine that the least biased kick'n'whistle
commentator that I've ever heard is an Orstralian. Unfortunately he's also
the worst male commentater for *any* sport that I've ever heard. Gordon
Bray come on down!
Mind you, I haven't actually listened to any rah rah comms since the
invention of Foxtel so this may no longer be true.

alvey

Massive Generalisation

Nov 30, 2009, 4:02:11 AM11/30/09
"alvey" <al...@play.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:35:44 -0800 (PST), timbochov wrote:
>

>> As a kiwi I always though the Saffer TV commentators were reasonably
>> unbiased Australian are generally the worst...<snip>
>
> On the charge of bias I'd opine that the least biased kick'n'whistle
> commentator that I've ever heard is an Orstralian. Unfortunately he's also
> the worst male commentater for *any* sport that I've ever heard. Gordon
> Bray come on down!

lol, Bray openly laughs at opponents when they knock on; miss a kick or fail
in any way that might benefit the Wallabies. He is the most biased
commentator I have ever heard! Have you heard him comment on the rowing, it
is hilarious! Gordon Bray, King of useless information.

> Mind you, I haven't actually listened to any rah rah comms since the
> invention of Foxtel so this may no longer be true.

Gordon Bray has never and will never work for Foxtel, moot point Alvin.

viper

Nov 30, 2009, 5:18:12 AM11/30/09

"mungbean" <mu...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> After watching the French / AB's (Great result) I have say how impressed I
> am with the tele coverage. Some of that photo / film work is amazing.
>
> I love the camera on a track that follows the game / players, bloody good
> coverage. Just goes to show how far ahead you guys are versus us downunder
> in the back waters.

Might be in your neck of the woods Jethro, but I assume you're not familiar
with the coverage of tennis, cricket, motor sports and the various football
codes
in Australia ? I didn't see the AB's match but I assume you are referring to
either
the camera mounted on tracks that runs the length of the sideline or an
overhead
camera, suspended on wires, that follows the play ? The former was
introduced
at either the Barcelona or Atlanta Olympics, the latter tried here some
years ago
in the SOO

Viper

didgerman

Nov 30, 2009, 5:31:34 AM11/30/09
viper wrote:
> "mungbean" <mu...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> After watching the French / AB's (Great result) I have say how impressed I
>> am with the tele coverage. Some of that photo / film work is amazing.
>>
>> I love the camera on a track that follows the game / players, bloody good
>> coverage. Just goes to show how far ahead you guys are versus us downunder
>> in the back waters.
>

> Might be in your neck of the woods Jethro, but I assume you're not familiar
> with the coverage of tennis, cricket, motor sports and the various football
> codes
> in Australia ? I didn't see the AB's match but I assume you are referring to
> either
> the camera mounted on tracks that runs the length of the sideline or an
> overhead
> camera, suspended on wires, that follows the play ? The former was
> introduced
> at either the Barcelona or Atlanta Olympics, the latter tried here some
> years ago
> in the SOO
>
> Viper

Ooooh, cashpoints, hi-def cameras, what next, the wheel?

mungbean

Nov 30, 2009, 5:57:29 AM11/30/09

"viper" <vi...@rugby.com> wrote in message

> "mungbean" <mu...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> After watching the French / AB's (Great result) I have say how impressed
>> I am with the tele coverage. Some of that photo / film work is amazing.
>>
>> I love the camera on a track that follows the game / players, bloody good
>> coverage. Just goes to show how far ahead you guys are versus us
>> downunder in the back waters.
>

> Might be in your neck of the woods Jethro, but I assume you're not
> familiar
> with the coverage of tennis, cricket, motor sports and the various
> football codes
> in Australia ? I didn't see the AB's match but I assume you are referring
> to either
> the camera mounted on tracks that runs the length of the sideline or an
> overhead
> camera, suspended on wires, that follows the play ? The former was
> introduced
> at either the Barcelona or Atlanta Olympics, the latter tried here some
> years ago
> in the SOO
>
> Viper

Nah - I was referring to us, I wouldn't include Australia, they are so up
themselves on TV it's not funny. From biased cricket, league, netball
commentary etc ...it's a joke. Your technology might be up there but the
style and finesse it is not.

viper

Nov 30, 2009, 6:57:44 AM11/30/09

"mungbean" <mu...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

Mate, we's got style and finesse in like buckets, OK ? What are yous talkin
about ? Yous never seen 'Home and Away'....?
Viper

William Clark

Nov 30, 2009, 8:00:40 AM11/30/09
In article
<a0cb70d1-2018-47a4...@j9g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Luluwazazulu <luluwa...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

Funny, that was my criticism of the SH coverage - too often close in on
individuals, when we really want to see the wider view, and see where
the coverage is out wide. Seems to me we miss a lot of information that
way. Interestingly, in the US, the difference in going to HD TV is
amazing. Not just in terms of the detail in the picture, but the extra
width the cameras cover gives a much better insight into where the open
spaces are, etc. Now if Rugby could find a way to use those overhead
cameras that buzz around above the field of play, that would be fun.

William Clark

Nov 30, 2009, 8:06:50 AM11/30/09
In article
<27e2b4a0-7996-4efd...@o9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
timbochov <tuata...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think your SA commentators are very fair and even handed. The Ozzies
are clearly the worst ("go, you good thing"), and Mexted is both
entertaining and infuriating at the same time. Not too much good the NH
since McClaren hung up the mike - Harrison is a fanboy, and Barnes can
be amusing, but is typically too pompous to be fun. I do enjoy Jonathan
Davies on the Welsh games, he has a wonderfully cynical tone, borne out
of years of Welsh losses, but he can be very funny with it. I was
listening to the SA-Ire game on RTE radio on Saturday, and that was a
hoot. When Owens and co. missed Pietersen's attempt to decapitate Bowe,
they took off. "I don't know what these fellas think they are here for -
it's not just for a nice weekend out in Dublin . . . etc., etc".
Hilarious - we need more of that.

William Clark

Nov 30, 2009, 8:11:11 AM11/30/09
In article <fck6h51nhj0m026sq...@4ax.com>,
Greig Blanchett <gre...@nNzOrSfPu.AcMom> wrote:

Fair assessment in my view. Marshall was pretty good on Saturday in the
NZ-France game - perhaps they can keep him and Nesbitt together for a
while. I just hope he doesn't go out for a beer too often with Mexted.
By the way, cracking performance from the ABs on Saturday, even if it
was the other French team (you know, the one that doesn't really show
up). Both teams trying to use the ball,and good to watch.

Michael

Dec 1, 2009, 1:14:10 AM12/1/09

That bit at the beginning with the oompa band was 'tray' excruciating, and
he did keep mixing up Dupuy (lentils) with the bokke Du Preez, but I laughed
at some of his comments on the big hits, face palm by Jane, etc.

Worst one has to be Simon Mannix, which a few of us unfortunate souls had to
endure during the last RWC...he gave Gordon Bray a run for his money.

Chris Parslow

Dec 1, 2009, 2:30:40 AM12/1/09
On Nov 30, 9:31 pm, didgerman <didger...@rfu.com> wrote:
> viper wrote:
> > "mungbean" <m...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> >> After watching the French / AB's (Great result) I have say how impressed I
> >> am with the tele coverage. Some of that photo / film work is amazing.
>
> >> I love the camera on a track that follows the game / players, bloody good
> >> coverage. Just goes to show how far ahead you guys are versus us downunder
> >> in the back waters.
>
> > Might be in your neck of the woods Jethro, but I assume you're  not familiar
> > with the coverage of tennis, cricket, motor sports and the various football
> > codes
> > in Australia ? I didn't see the AB's match but I assume you are referring to
> > either
> > the camera mounted on tracks that runs the length of the sideline or an
> > overhead
> > camera, suspended on wires, that follows the play ? The former was
> > introduced
> > at either the Barcelona or Atlanta Olympics, the latter tried here some
> > years ago
> > in the SOO
>
> > Viper
>
> Ooooh, cashpoints, hi-def cameras, what next, the wheel?

Girlies in brief, spangly swimmers holding up big cards showing the
number of phases. Loftus Versfeld would be my bet for the inaugural
venue...

CP

Uncle Dave

Dec 1, 2009, 2:05:49 PM12/1/09
On Nov 30, 4:59 am, "Andrew Dunford" <adunf...@artifax.net> wrote:
> "Michael" <quadhammerNO@SPICED...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > "mungbean" <m...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

IMNSHO, Sky are by some distance the best at doing rugby. The South
Africans and French seem particularly adept at missing live play (e.g.
lineouts, conversions, scrums) by repeating something and not being
able to cut back in time. The Beeb has caught this bloody disease of
late too. The last time I watched any NZ coverage it was like going
back in time with - it seemed - just the one camera beong used
virtually all the time. People might not like Murdoch but his boys
have done a great job at screeing both football and rugby and whatever
they do tends to get adopted by the rest sooner or later. Money and
creativity are the answer. I remembwe when the Beeb got the 6N back
some years ago they promised it would be bigger and better. Still
waiting - looks like 1985 without the benefit of Bill McLaren to me.

UD

Uncle Dave

Dec 1, 2009, 2:18:19 PM12/1/09
On Nov 30, 5:20 am, Greig Blanchett <gre...@nNzOrSfPu.AcMom> wrote:

> It's not just you. I think they're pretty good too. Better than our
> lot, anyway. Except for Naas Botha, but hey, we had Murray Mexted.

I don't know why you don't like Murray. Did he pinch your lollipop or
something? Both Mrs UD and I heartily recommend his passionate,
knowledgeable and unbiased commentary. (If he has a bias it's against
the ABs when they're not playing as well as he would like.) He is
quick to praise good play by either side and notices stuff which shows
he's watching the same game as the rest of us at least. His punditry
at the last RWC was most welcome.

UD

Andrew Dunford

Dec 1, 2009, 5:59:56 PM12/1/09

"Uncle Dave" <david...@t-online.de> wrote in message

I'm a fan, but mainly because he can be relied upon to say some brilliantly
appalling things which people don't usually get away with any more.

Andrew

Greig Blanchett

Dec 2, 2009, 12:15:16 AM12/2/09

Eh? I think you must have him confused with somebody else. He's far
more likely to be leching over somebody that the cameras have picked
up in the crowd than to be commenting on the rugby.

Tall, somewhat dissolute figure, like the dodgy lovechiled of John Le
Mesurier and Bob Hawke, replete with classic bodgie haircut? That the
guy you mean?

--
greig

mungbean

Dec 2, 2009, 12:35:59 AM12/2/09

"Uncle Dave" <david...@t-online.de> wrote in message

UD

Well said, I think he is doing so much better now than prior when he first
started.
I like him because he tends to be honest and whilst sometimes he ends up
with his feet and shoes in his mouth he will report on the game exactly as
he see's it.

Unlike some of the previous AB's who went to the microphone who just get
worse with time ....a good example would have to be Stu Wilson. Christ that
man is a knob. He needs to go back to his bottle and shut up.

Chris Parslow

Dec 2, 2009, 4:57:12 AM12/2/09

By fuck that is a good physical description.

Mind you, it must be said Mr Mexted's appearance in some respects has
improved w/- age somewhat. I am thinking in particular of that
fuckin' awful mo that looked like a misplaced set of spare eyebrows.
Or one caterpillar stalking another...

CP

Mike Gooding

Dec 2, 2009, 10:25:11 AM12/2/09
On Nov 30, 1:06 pm, William Clark <cl...@nospam.matsceng.ohio-

state.edu> wrote:
> Not too much good  the NH
> since McClaren hung up the mike - Harrison is a fanboy, and Barnes can
> be amusing, but is typically too pompous to be fun. I do enjoy Jonathan
> Davies on the Welsh games, he has a wonderfully cynical tone, borne out
> of years of Welsh losses, but he can be very funny with it.

Agree in general, the Scottish comms are appallingly awful. Jonathan
is very cynical, but I do like his half time analyses which are very
informative.

Best for me is Brian Moore, who is the Sir Geoffrey of Rugby comms,
equally happy to dish the well-deserved insults to either side,
perhaps more onto England than the opposition. His co-commentator,
Eddie Butler is just a Welsh fanboy who can't see anything wrong with
his team and is only really interested in pitiful little wind-ups of
BM. I can't imagine they socialise much, somehow.

On camera angles - they can drop the overhead crap for a start -
what's the point of seeing the game from the top ? It takes my aged
brain 3 seconds to realise what I'm looking at then they cut to the
little thing running along the touchline (no, not Austin Healey) for
some useless close-up of a bloke running - I want to see what his
teammates are doing, and where the oppo defence is FFS.

Mike Gooding
--------------------

Uncle Dave

Dec 2, 2009, 1:39:08 PM12/2/09

No idea what he looks like, but he's always providing the "colour"
when NZ are at home. His name is Murray. No, not Hewitt though that
would be kind of cool too!

UD

William Clark

Dec 2, 2009, 1:55:37 PM12/2/09
In article
<a7a93c94-6c47-4751...@j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Mike Gooding <michael...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Agree 100% about the camera angles. let's see the offensive and
defensive alignments, and whether there is a fatty prop isolated in the
center, not the view up some nancy boy winger's nostril.