Foreign Players in Japan

Jason Cormier

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
FOREIGN PLAYERS IN THE JAPAN COMPANY LEAGUES

This list is not complete as I don't have access to most of the Kansai
B League teams, none of the West Japan B League teams and nothing below
B League. Also, this list was current as of August, 1999 so there may
have been some changes, especially following the RWC. If you notice any
missing players or players listed who no longer compete in the Japanese
leagues, please e-mail me ( j_co...@hotmail.com) with the details.

Also, I did not have access to the English spelling of a few players so
Ihad to reply on Japanese phonetic characters. If you notice a
misspelling (especially with a few of the Island and South American
players), let me know.

Finally, some players could probably be listed under more than one
nation so I am going with the official records of the Japanese Leagues.
If you believe that someone is most definitely listed incorrectly, once
again, let me know.

I consider this a work in progress, rather than a final, definitive
list.

Players are grouped by: nation of origin first, followed by league and
finally, team.

==================================
NEW ZEALAND (49 players)

Rob Gordon (Toshiba)
Andrew McCormick (Toshiba)
Adam Parker (Toshiba)
Liam Barry (NEC)
John Kirwan (NEC)
Ross Thompson (NEC)
Simon Forest (Ricoh)
Pita Wilson (Ricoh)
Dan Kaleopa (Nippon Steel)
Oscar Iwashita (Isetan)
George Konia (Isetan)
Tim McManaway (Isetan)

Errol Brain (Toyota)
Richard Coventry (Toyota)
Dean Anglesey (Kobe Steel)
Blair Larsen (Kobe Steel)
Andrew Miller (Kobe Steel)
Carl Todd (Kobe Steel)
Paewai Murdoch (World)
Mutu Nagarimu (World)
Taunaholo Taufahema (World)
Richard Turner (World)
William Lose (Yamaha)
Scott Pierce (Yamaha)
Kevin Schuler (Yamaha)
Waisaki Sotutu (Yamaha)
Andrew Gallagher (Kintetsu)
Rich Flannery (Toyota Jido Shokki)
Shayne Philipott (Toyota Jido Shokki)
Greg Smith (Toyota Jido Shokki)
Stephen Miln (Kanegafuchi)
Arran Pene (Kanegafuchi)
Ant Strachan (Kanegafuchi)
Kyle Byers (Honda)
Marcus Seuseu (Honda)

Graeme Bachop (Sannix)
John Leslie (Sannix)
Jamie Joseph (Sannix)
Richard Norton (Sannix)
Boyd Gillespie (Coca Cola West Japan)
Courtney Ireland (Coca Cola West Japan)
Glenn Paterson (Coca Cola West Japan)
Jason Hewett (Mitsubishi-Kurashiki)
Brandon Jacson (Mitsubishi-Kurashiki)

Andrew Elvidge (IBM)
Bryan Screen (IBM)
Sam Kaleta (Mitsubishi-Samigahara)
Steve Smith (Mitsubishi-Samigahara)

Richard Higgs (NTT Kansai)

==================================
TONGA (17 players)

Alaska Taufa (Ricoh)
Fili Finau (Sanyo)
Sinali Latu (Sanyo)
Semi Taupeaafe (Sanyo)
Elisi Vunipola (Sanyo)
Simana Mafileo (Kubota)
Solomone Va'a Toroke (Kubota)

Taunaholo Taufahema (World)
Benha Kibale (Kintetsu)

Savelio Pomee (Mazda)
Sione Tonga (Mazda)

Penieli Latu (Secom)
Feleti Mahoni (Secom)
Ofa Topeni (Secom)
Falamani Mafi (Yokogawa)
Takai Palei (Yokogawa)
Holani Pohiva (Yokogawa)

==================================
AUSTRALIA (11 players)

Brendan Jones (Kubota)
Mathew O'Connor (Kubota)
Cameron Pither (Nippon Steel)
Peter Slattery (Nippon Steel)

Mark Richmond (Kyushu Electric)
Craig Sweeny (Kyushu Electric)

Graham Hislop (Tokyo Gas)
Adam Washington (Tokyo Gas)
Paul Cornish (Meiji Seimi)
Adam Friend (Meiji Seimi)
Adam Harley (Meiji Seimi)

==================================
FIJI (9 players)

Maxwell Olsson (Suntory)
Alfred Ulinaya (Suntory)

Patiliai Tuidraki (Toyota)
Sale Sorovaki (Kintetsu)
Phillip Layashi (Kintetsu)
Alivereti Mocelutu (Honda)

Baba Salaseni Koroilagilevu (Yokogawa)
Bruce Ferguson (Hino Motors)
Paulo Nawall (Hino Motors)

==================================
SAMOA (3 players)

Sila Vaifale (Ricoh)
Laulala Langkilde (Nippon Steel)

Joe Filmu (Mitsubishi-Samigahara)

==================================
CANADA (3 players)

Glen Ennis (Suntory)
John Hutchison (Suntory)

Eddie Evans (IBM)

==================================
ARGENTINA (1 player)

Federico Martine (Tokyo Gas)

==================================
SOUTH KOREA (1 player)

Chon Yunbiro (IBM)

==================================
TAIWAN (1 player)

One player at Number Eight for Yokogawa but I'll be damned if I can
figure out how his Kanji is pronounced.

==================================
PERU (1 player)

Michael Marmangio (Sanyo)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Bryan Ray

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
ok.... nice list, a few quick notes:

you have Taunaholo Taufahema listed twice, under NZ and under Tonga.
he is a Tongan test representative

John Leslie is of course a Scottish test rep, though he is a Kiwi by
birth

Fili Finau is Tongan, but played one test for Australia in '97

William Lose is a Kiwi, but played for Tonga in the '95 World Cup

Waisake Sotutu was born in NZ but plays for Fiji

Sam Kaleta and Steve Smith, both Kiwis, play for Samoa

Solomone Va'a Toroke is actually Va'a Toloke of Tonga

Benha Kibale should be Benhur Kivalu of Tonga

Alfred Ulinaya should be Alfred Uluinayau of Fiji

Alivereti Mocelutu of Fiji should be spelled Alifereti Mocelutu

Joe Filmu of Samoa should be Joe Filemu

Glen Ennis of Canada should be Glenn Ennis

John Hutchison should be John Hutchinson

cheers,
Bryan Ray

Alex Goff

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
> ==================================
> NEW ZEALAND (49 players)
>
> Pita Wilson (Ricoh)

Wow ... a damn fine actress and a rugby player!!! Quite the multi-talented
lady.

:)

AG

Jason Cormier

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <384a0a10...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>,

osdu...@hotmail.com (Bryan Ray) wrote:
> ok.... nice list, a few quick notes:

Hi Brian, thanks for the info. I'll make the spelling corrections when
I update the list next week.

As far as the nations are concerned that becomes a little trickier,
especially where Island (and those of Island descent) are concerned. As
I have listed them under country of origin (i.e. birth or nation where
they spent most of their life), perhaps I should make another column
for those who have represented a nation different than that from which
they originate. Or perhaps I should do it the other way around: listed
by representative nation and contry of origin in the other column. I'll
have to think about that one.

Any lurkers have an opinion on the matter?