Worst head high tackles

Jeff Lucas

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the worst
head high tackles we have seen.

To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-

1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.

2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.

3. Andy Dannatt on Ellery Hanley which shattered his jaw. Can't remember the
year, but remember it was a Cup fixture between Hull & Leeds at the Boulevard.

Cheers

Jeff.
Leeds Rhinos - 1999 SCCC Winners.

Craig McDermott

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
My all time Fav was Barry McDermott on Paul Sironen at Central Park when the
aussies were on tour.

Also one that never got punished Paul Harrigan on Ian Lucas in Aussie.

Craig

Jeff Lucas <je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

David Oddie

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:47:31 +0100, "Jeff Lucas"
<je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the worst
>head high tackles we have seen.
>
>To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-
>
>1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.

Adrian Morley when he tacked...well everyone really :-) but especially
Robbie McCormack.

>2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.

Bobbie Goulding at Wembley last time he played v Wigan.

Dave
--

Wigan Warriors RLFC - 1998 Super League Champions
(Oh - and Grand Final winners as well)

Change "astalasvista" to "altavista" when replying via email and
replace ".jnk" with ".net"
.

Jeff Lucas

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99

David Oddie wrote in message <3760e4dc....@news.freeserve.net>...

>On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:47:31 +0100, "Jeff Lucas"
><je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the
worst
>>head high tackles we have seen.
>>
>>To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-
>>
>>1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.
>
>Adrian Morley when he tacked...well everyone really :-) but especially
>Robbie McCormack.

But which of these two got suspended for (I think 6 games) after reviewing
video evidence? I think I know what Andrew Maye's opinion will be ;-)

>>2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.

No comment on this one Dave? Or do you agree this one was an absolute shocker?

>Bobbie Goulding at Wembley last time he played v Wigan.

Can't remember this one. When was it? And who did Goulding hit?

Cheers

Jeff.
Leeds Rhinos - 1999 SCCC Winners

Mugwump

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
David Oddie wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:47:31 +0100, "Jeff Lucas"
> <je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the worst
> >head high tackles we have seen.
> >
> >To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-
> >
> >1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.
>
> Adrian Morley when he tacked...well everyone really :-) but especially
> Robbie McCormack.

Come on Dave, I think you're letting your heart rule your head here,
Morley's
tackle was high but you couldn't class it as a shocker.

--Mugwump.

--
!! |-------------------------------------------| !!
!! | mug...@interzone.u-net.com | !!

Chris Hardstaff

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
You can guarantee Morley will put in a high shot in every game he plays
though!

--
- - - - -
Chris Hardstaff
Mugwump <inte...@u-net.com> wrote in message

andrew grimshaw

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
I think you have already nominated the winner it was the one on Morley. How
he managed to come back on after that I dont know

Andrew
Jeff Lucas wrote in message <7jojig$fnf$2...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the
worst
>head high tackles we have seen.
>
>To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-
>
>1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.
>

>2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.
>

>3. Andy Dannatt on Ellery Hanley which shattered his jaw. Can't remember
the
>year, but remember it was a Cup fixture between Hull & Leeds at the
Boulevard.

>Cheers
>
>Jeff.
>Leeds Rhinos - 1999 SCCC Winners.

mark lowe

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Couple more for the high tackle list

1) Bobby Goulding on Cowie in SCCC 1997
2) Barrie McDermot on Haughton SCCC99
3) Cassidy type elbow by Hallas on Gavin Clinch in the SL last season,
for which he escaped scott free after Stevo failed to go off on one over it.

Chris Hardstaff wrote in message <7jotuu$gce$1...@news1.cableinet.co.uk>...

>You can guarantee Morley will put in a high shot in every game he plays
>though!
>
>--
>- - - - -
>Chris Hardstaff
>ch...@helmfarm.ukf.net
>ICQ# 36369819
>Mugwump <inte...@u-net.com> wrote in message
>> David Oddie wrote:

>the worst

Wigan...@astalavista.jnk

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:44:05 +0100, "Jeff Lucas"
<je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>>>2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.
>

>No comment on this one Dave? Or do you agree this one was an absolute shocker?

Yes I do. He was an idiot that day. (I'll have to go and lie down
now having said that).

>>Bobbie Goulding at Wembley last time he played v Wigan.
>>

>Can't remember this one. When was it? And who did Goulding hit?

It was the last time Widnes were there. I should remember the year
better - I was there! Goulding was very lucky not to be sent off. I
think Eyres(?) had already gone and sending two off was too much for
the ref.

Dave

--

Wigan Warriors RLFC 1998 Super League Champions
(Oh and we won the grand Final as well!)

Change astalavista to altavista and jnk to net if replying via email

Wigan...@astalavista.jnk

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:27:32 +0100, Mugwump <inte...@u-net.com>
wrote:

>> Adrian Morley when he tacked...well everyone really :-) but especially
>> Robbie McCormack.
>
>Come on Dave, I think you're letting your heart rule your head here,

Well I just could not resist the temptation. I wonder if he will
clobber whoever receives the ball after kick off tomorrow?

Steven Fisher

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
I'm surprised you haven't included a Morley or Dean Bell effort somewhere in
there.

I don't think Edwards 'Tackle' on Clyde was as bad as some others we have
seen, it was more instinctive stupidity - he did deserve to get sent off for
it though.

The Dannatt tackle on Hanley was a bad one. I was stood almost right next to
it. It was sickening.

IMHO the worst ever head high tackle was the last one I saw, which will soon
be replaced by the next one I see and so on. It shouldn't be part of the
game but unfortunately is.

Cheers

Steve

Jeff Lucas <je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the
worst
> head high tackles we have seen.
>
> To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-
>
> 1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.
>

> 2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.

David Wood

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
Ah but, at least we do penalise them here. Unlike the Aussies, where we are
lead to believe are perfect at everything. I am refering to the 'perfectly
legal shoulder charge' to the head of Mark Carrol in S O Origin 2 this
week....

David Wood

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
This is a difficult one... In fact its making my memory bits hurt.......

1. Len Casey (Bradford Northern) on Ken Kelly (Warrington) circa 1979/80.
Broke Kelly's jaw & he had been chosen for GB tour that week!!

2. Millington (Hull KR) on Chris Parrot (Bradford Northern) Circa 1980/91,
Parrot suffered a broken jaw & was detained in hospital for days. Never
played again and this was one of a series of incidents leading to the
infamous Bradford Northern 'walk off' at Hull KR that day.

3. Unknown player & Unknown club on Glenn Beumont (Bradford Northern) circa
1969. Glen was a former Olympic sprinter who only played the one game that
day. He had the ball and was sprinting away (he thought), when he was stiff
armed right in front of me. His head stayed at the point of contact but his
legs tried to keep going. He never played again and his jaw was dislocated &
broken in three places. Referee & linesman 'saw nothing' & nobody was
punished.

There... I had forgotten I had such memorable RL moments until this question
was posted, nice one...

David Wood

Lloyd Barkham

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99

Jeff Lucas wrote in message <7joqak$gi0$2...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>David Oddie wrote in message <3760e4dc....@news.freeserve.net>...
>>On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:47:31 +0100, "Jeff Lucas"
>><je...@tpizone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to start a thread where we can nominate our choices for the
>worst
>>>head high tackles we have seen.
>>>
>>>To set the ball rolling, I'll nominate the following three:-
>>>
>>>1. Mick Cassidy on Adrian Morley last year at Central Park.
>>
>>Adrian Morley when he tacked...well everyone really :-) but especially
>>Robbie McCormack.
>

>But which of these two got suspended for (I think 6 games) after reviewing
>video evidence? I think I know what Andrew Maye's opinion will be ;-)

It's the Leeds Mafia. ;-)

>>>2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.
>

>No comment on this one Dave? Or do you agree this one was an absolute
shocker?

>>Bobbie Goulding at Wembley last time he played v Wigan.
>>

>Can't remember this one. When was it? And who did Goulding hit?

Lloyd

Lloyd Barkham

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99

Wigan...@astalavista.jnk wrote in message
<3762388f...@news.freeserve.net>...

>On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:27:32 +0100, Mugwump <inte...@u-net.com>
>wrote:
>
>>> Adrian Morley when he tacked...well everyone really :-) but especially
>>> Robbie McCormack.
>>
>>Come on Dave, I think you're letting your heart rule your head here,
>
>Well I just could not resist the temptation. I wonder if he will
>clobber whoever receives the ball after kick off tomorrow?

Let's hope it's Cassidy.

Only joking. :-)

Lloyd

Jeff Lucas

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Craig McDermott wrote in message <7joks1$2b1$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>My all time Fav was Barry McDermott on Paul Sironen at Central Park when the
>aussies were on tour.
>
>Also one that never got punished Paul Harrigan on Ian Lucas in Aussie.
>
>Craig

I certainly remember the one by Barrie McDermott when he was playing for Wigan
on Paul Sironen, and he also caught someone on the melon in one of the test
matches too at Old Trafford, only seconds after coming on as a sub, but I can't
remember the Aussie player who was hit.

I also remember Hugh Waddell for Leeds getting his jaw broke by a Widnes
forward at Headingley, courtesy of a forearm to the chin which was aimed
intentionally. Cant remember the name of the forward, but he was tall, big,
with blond hair, and was ex-Welsh RU - he got a lengthy ban too.

Cheers

Jeff.

AJ KING

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

David Wood wrote in message
<7jquho$sbh$1...@newsreader3.core.theplanet.net>...
What about the whole of the Wigan team, virtually, against
(I think) Tony Johnson of Huddersfield circa 1981. I believe
that Wigan ended up having three men sent off, all for
swinging-arm "tackles" on Johnson. It made wonderful telly
at the time, but these were the days when we were allowed to
enjoy the rough stuff without having to be RL PC about it.

Alf King

Andrew Maye

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

Jeff Lucas wrote in message <7joqak$gi0$2...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>But which of these two got suspended for (I think 6 games) after reviewing

>video evidence? I think I know what Andrew Maye's opinion will be ;-)

I think the video recorder broke when they put in the Morley tape.

>>>2. Shaun Edwards on Bradley Clyde at Wembley 1994.
>
>No comment on this one Dave? Or do you agree this one was an absolute
shocker?

Best thing Edwards ever did while in a GB shirt.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew Maye

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

Wigan...@astalavista.jnk wrote in message
<3762388f...@news.freeserve.net>...
>On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:27:32 +0100, Mugwump <inte...@u-net.com>
>wrote:

>Well I just could not resist the temptation. I wonder if he will

>clobber whoever receives the ball after kick off tomorrow?

It was interesting how Leeds didn't use the high kick off tactic. Perhaps
someone had had words after what happened last year/Gateshead.

Andrew.

geoffrey pennington

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

Wigan...@astalavista.jnk wrote in message
<376134cc...@news.freeserve.net>...

>>No comment on this one Dave? Or do you agree this one was an absolute
shocker?

>Yes I do. He was an idiot that day. (I'll have to go and lie down
>now having said that).
>>>
>>>Bobbie Goulding at Wembley last time he played v Wigan.
>>>

>>Can't remember this one. When was it? And who did Goulding hit?
>
>It was the last time Widnes were there. I should remember the year
>better - I was there! Goulding was very lucky not to be sent off. I
>think Eyres(?) had already gone and sending two off was too much for
>the ref.

1993. Jason Robinson was the victim. Eyres already sent off by Russell
Smith.

Lloyd Barkham

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

Jeff Lucas wrote in message <7jthhp$qpq$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

Moriarty

Lloyd

Steven Fisher

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
Elementary my dear Barkham

Lloyd Barkham <lloyd....@virgin.net> wrote in message

Lloyd Barkham

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

Steven Fisher wrote in message ...
> Elementary my dear Barkham

Waiting for that!!!

Lloyd

Lloyd Barkham

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

Andrew Maye wrote in message <7k157v$tqu$3...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...

Didn't really need to use it.

They only kicked off TWICE!!!!!

Lloyd

David Oddie

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:18:27 +0100, "geoffrey pennington"
<ge...@pennington9c.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>>It was the last time Widnes were there. I should remember the year
>>better - I was there! Goulding was very lucky not to be sent off. I
>>think Eyres(?) had already gone and sending two off was too much for
>>the ref.
>

>1993. Jason Robinson was the victim. Eyres already sent off by Russell
>Smith.

Yes it come flooding back now. Would have been a certain try as well
if he had not clobbered him!

Dave

--

Wigan Warriors RLFC - 1998 Super League Champions