Sculling blade loom stiffness

Woolygog

May 21, 2009, 4:13:10 AM5/21/09
Well, the subject should put off all but the saddest of rowing
geekdom... Or result in a plethora of double entendre and innuendo
from the rest ;-D

I've noticed recently that my sculling blades (Croker C2) are bending
considerably more during the drive phase of the stroke than they used
to (to the degree I have a little nag at the back of my mind about
breakage - having snapped one when in a quad a few years ago - sorry
PJ).

I know carbon fibre blades do 'soften' as they age, but does anyone
know which manufacturers 'soften' the slowest, or are they all much of
a muchness, all other things being equal. 'All things' here being
taken to mean storage conditions, ambient temperature, degree of UV
exposure, etc...

Mind - it could just be that I'm sculling better than I used to, but
then again..... :-D

Rebecca Caroe

May 21, 2009, 11:13:53 AM5/21/09
I know how to do a stiffness deflection test on a scull shaft.
http://www.concept2cts.com/oars/selection/shafts.asp

But AFAIK there's no data collected except anecdotal on how quickly
different designs change stiffness over time.

If you test your sculls and then find a club mate who has the same
design but a newer pair, you can compare.
Here's what C2 says the deflection should have been when they were new
if they were bought medium stiffness 4.55 +/- .25cm

Robin

May 21, 2009, 11:51:16 AM5/21/09
On May 21, 9:13 am, Woolygog <ijo...@rsk.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, the subject should put off all but the saddest of rowing
> geekdom... Or result in a plethora of double entendre and innuendo
> from the rest ;-D
>
> I've noticed recently that my sculling blades (Croker C2) are bending

Do you mean Croker S2? Ie the stiffest / lightest Croker option in
shaft construction? This may clear up the confusion as to what blades
& shaft types they are.

paul_v...@hotmail.com

May 22, 2009, 8:59:23 AM5/22/09

How do you "notice" this?

No Matter, you're just stronger and sculling better than ever. [;o)

- Paul Smith