Glynn Locke fin.

Stephen Maddalena

Aug 1, 2022, 4:19:09 AM8/1/22
Does anyone know the method for removing a Glynn Locke fin?
Best wishes to all,
Steve.

Chris Jones

Aug 23, 2022, 8:38:20 AM8/23/22
They're usually just screwed in with 8? screws. I can't remember the exact number but they don't have a fin box, just some screw holes in the hull.

It's possible some of the later models may have a fin box but I've never seen one.

Chris

Stephen Maddalena

Sep 2, 2022, 5:13:03 PM9/2/22
Chris,
thanks for your knowledge.
Yes, it is 8 screws and as you say it seems the fin and its mounting are effectively one piece.
I removed the screws only to find it was still firmly fixed in the reinforced area of the wooden internal keel. Next stage will be some leverage and damage limitation.
Cheers,
Steve.

Phil

Sep 4, 2022, 8:03:59 PM9/4/22
If the fin is to be disposed of, drill an approx. 10mm hole in the trailing edge & fasten a bolt in. Use to exert upwards force against a large block of wood (to spread the load) placed against the keel externally. Some boatbuilders (!) think it's hilarious to 'seal' the fin in the keel using varnish...